Thread: 120 Player Server Test

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

120 Player Server Test

Hi Everyone,

It's looking like everything has been rock solid with 100 players, so I figured we might as well try to find the breaking point. The game was originally taunted as having a MP capability of 120+ players. So with that said, upon the next map rotation the main server will be upped to 120 player limit to see how it does.

Please help join and please let me know if you experience any problems. I will be watching the server/bandwidth in real time to see how it is doing as far as stability. Fingers crossed!

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Re: 120 Player Server Test

Thanks Bliss,

Server was just at 100 players and seemed solid enough, fingers crossed!
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

One more thing to try - Server went to 115 then went unresponsive.. Have made an an adjustment. We'll see if it does anything. If not, we may just be stuck at 100, which is still quite impressive IMO.

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Fingers crossed we can keep the 120.....The more folks we can accomodate the better.....Players attract players....like a busy restaurant.....word gets around and it snowballs...so fingers crossed..worth a try
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Apr-05-2014 at 19:44.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Fingers crossed we can keep the 120.....The more folks we can accomodate the better.....Players attract players....like a busy resturant.....word gets around and it snowballs...so fingers crossed..worth a try
    I think we are good to go. Adjusted some settings after the 1st server crash and it got to 120 people at one point without issue and has been fine the rest. I'll definitely know more tomorrow during peak when it hits the limit again. Thanks everyone for the help in testing!

And here's a little screen grab of the network stuff. At 13:30 the server rotated, which then started the new player limit of 120. Shortly after it reached 112 players, the server became unresponsive. You can see the upstream (green data) fall off and the download data (blue line) slowly drop. Changed some settings and restarted at the same time. You can see then the next time the server fills up that it is even using less total bandwidth than the original mission far to the left of the graph (100 player setting) and far far less than the 1st 120 player test. Now it's been running rock solid like this ever since. So I think 120 will now be stable. We'll just have to wait for tomorrow to try again.

Again, thanks all for putting up with the crashes! If this gets stable, then everyone and all the other servers will benefit from this as well. At this point, I think a few minor tweaks and we'll have 120 player euphoria

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Would be phantastic if the server is able to handle 120 pilots! Keeping the fingers crossed!

I think the last time you posted such a graph was when the player limit was raised to 100 pilots. And we all know how it turned out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Would be phantastic if the server is able to handle 120 pilots! Keeping the fingers crossed!

I think the last time you posted such a graph was when the player limit was raised to 100 pilots. And we all know how it turned out.
    A couple warps and lags reported but server handled it fine. A few small adjustments and I think it'll be right on the money

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Amazing ! Great job ATAG guys
    Regia Aeronautica
    Luftwaffe > Weiß 7
    Regia Aeronautica >
    R.A.F. >

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

WOW.....Thats just a dream!!
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    974.2 KB

Just my impression of the test. You can see from the screen shot above that a bunch of us are in Blenheims. We were doing a high level bombing run on Calais Marck (which we hit from 15,000ft AND took out a few aircraft on the runways ). On the way over there in formation we experienced a fair bit of rubber banding. In fact, one of our Blennies was destroyed shortly after taking off from Eastchurch by a rubber band warp that caused the aircraft in front to smash into the guy behind him and then warp forward again with no ill effects. Guy behind blew up.

I would say the frequency of the rubber banding was about 1 incident every few minutes or so. It seemed to get worse (as in more frequent) as we got closer to France. The rubber banding wasn't a huge amount of distance, but enough to make sure we kept a fairly broad formation and kept us on our toes pretty much the whole time.

Not sure if that was before or after the final fixes by Bliss. It was at the time that the screenshot above of players online was taken anyway.

It was playable. Mostly because we were in bombers and not dogfighting though. If I'd been dogfighting with a 109 doing the kind of rubber banding the Blennies were doing, I'd have been frustrated.

Disclaimer that I don't usually play on ATAG much anymore so I'm not sure what it's like when the numbers are close to 100 so I don't know if what I experienced is any better or worse than that number of players on.

Certainly nice to see a flight sim with those numbers online at one time though. Hopefully things can be smoothed out a little more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Bliss View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by No.401_Wolverine View Post
    Just my impression of the test. You can see from the screen shot above that a bunch of us are in Blenheims. We were doing a high level bombing run on Calais Marck (which we hit from 15,000ft AND took out a few aircraft on the runways ). On the way over there in formation we experienced a fair bit of rubber banding. In fact, one of our Blennies was destroyed shortly after taking off from Eastchurch by a rubber band warp that caused the aircraft in front to smash into the guy behind him and then warp forward again with no ill effects. Guy behind blew up.

I would say the frequency of the rubber banding was about 1 incident every few minutes or so. It seemed to get worse (as in more frequent) as we got closer to France. The rubber banding wasn't a huge amount of distance, but enough to make sure we kept a fairly broad formation and kept us on our toes pretty much the whole time.

Not sure if that was before or after the final fixes by Bliss. It was at the time that the screenshot above of players online was taken anyway.

It was playable. Mostly because we were in bombers and not dogfighting though. If I'd been dogfighting with a 109 doing the kind of rubber banding the Blennies were doing, I'd have been frustrated.

Disclaimer that I don't usually play on ATAG much anymore so I'm not sure what it's like when the numbers are close to 100 so I don't know if what I experienced is any better or worse than that number of players on.

Certainly nice to see a flight sim with those numbers online at one time though. Hopefully things can be smoothed out a little more.
    Oh I know there were issues. Everyone, including myself, were complaining about how long it took to join the server. For some reason it didn't sink in then as I'd seen this about 100 times before, and I just kept fiddling with settings and the same mission, but the entire problem yesterday was the mission itself. It finally came to me about 3 or 4 restarts later trying to get it sorted, then I smacked myself in the forward, rotated missions, and of course everything was fine (people could join quickly, etc,etc.,etc). So yesterday's test was a complete failure from my own stupidity for not catching the entire problem in the 1st place.

That mission will be updated. So for the time being it has been removed. Today though, I don't think there will be problem one with 120 players or lag/rubberbanding. My new settings should be close to on the money for server side, and the other missions don't have the issue the one yesterday did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Bump - Want to hit this today

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Still a few server crashing issues at 120 or when we get close to it. Maybe 110 is the magic number?
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

Because I join from Australia I am really conscious of having a ping of about 270ms. I love the immersion that you get with so many other people on the server but I wouldn't want to spoil it for other in the game. Does having players with a large pings like mine effect others on the server?

Cheers!
    In the past, aggressive Australian patrols have caused the enemy great embarrassment by unremittingly harassing his line of communications, destroying his dumps, and generally indulging in a "spot of bastardry." – Notes for Platoon & Section Leaders distributed to Allied Land Forces in SouthWest Pacific Area-Operations 1943.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

We have Newzelanders and Aussies all the time on the server. Never heard anyone complaining before. Well.. we do. I cant understand a word of what Bezerkers says actually.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Very long period of lag on today around 1600 EST, just like when the AI used to be in the mission. My wish is to see the server go back to 100 because it was rock solid stable at that number.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes, it was something like 112 pilots , server was out for a few min, and came back when there were ~ 60 pilots.

I think AI bombers aren't the problem. Just numbers.
    Remember BoF campaign without AI bombers Gruber.
    Last edited by vranac; Apr-12-2014 at 19:12.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by vranac View Post
    Yes, it was something like 112 pilots , server was out for a few min, and came back when there were ~ 60 pilots.

I think AI bombers aren't the problem. Just numbers.
    Remember BoF campaign without AI bombers Gruber.
    Of course but ATAG has significantly higher bandwidth than SoW. ATAG was very stable at 100 players, no issues for several weeks at that setting.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Hans Gruber View Post
    Of course but ATAG has significantly higher bandwidth than SoW. ATAG was very stable at 100 players, no issues for several weeks at that setting.
    +1 Almost 2 weeks without a single crash. Whatever the settings were at 100, when Bliss initially took out the AI was very successful setting. Solid as a rock and no lag or rubberbanding.
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

I don't think we will have any problem at all filling this, especially in the future.