Thread: New Throttle Control and Rudder Pedals For DCSWW2

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

New Throttle Control and Rudder Pedals For DCSWW2

I'm currently using a CH Throttle Quadrant and Pro Pedals which have been fine for Cliffs Of Dover, but in the DCS P51 there are a few issues. The throttle control shakes like a thing possessed and when I use the right rudder pedal the ingame rudder flutters about like a leaf in the wind. Push the rudder to the left and it holds steady. I know a few people have the same problem with the throttle and so I am looking to invest in a new throttle and rudder pedals for DCSWW2. I'm looking at the Saitek Combat Pro Pedals, I'd love to have the MFG Crosswinds, but the finances aren't quite up to that level.
    I'm just wondering what throttles are available that don't have this issue, seems to be because of the use of potentiometers. They only jitter by a single point, but that seems to be enough to set the DCS throttle off. Could anybody recommend a throttle unit that will give a steady response? How well do the Saitek pedals perform?
    Thanks, Scream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: New Throttle Control and Rudder Pedals For DCSWW2

IMO the best to do is replace the pots on his controllers, cost 9,95$ on CH (see www.ch-hangar.com for buy instructions).

CH pots are the best ever used in game controllers all time.
    Other models, include at time the "hight end" HOTAS Cougar use a "0,10$" pots.

Replace pot's on CH controllers are "plug-n-play", no solder required. (1)

Actually the only throttle that dont use pot' is the one in HOTAS Warthog - use HALL sensor - and the Gametrix ECS (entry level throttle available only on Russian market) - use MaRs sensor (similar to HALL, instead measure magnetic field force, measure magnetic field direction).

For Rudder Pedal the COTS alternative to CH are Saitek - all of his three models use the same base and electronics and the "0.10$" pot's... with different footrest.

The really improved models are these from East Europe:

MFG Crosswind - MaRs sensor (HALL on brakes) - 288 Euros (From Croacia)

Slaw Device - Digital MaRs sensor - 300 Euros (From Poland)

VKB - Digital MagRez (similar do MaRs) - ~341 - 517 U$ (From Russia) - 175U$ for T-rudder (one axis).

(1) Since CH products don use solder on his pots, to allow users easy replace then (and to avoid the "traditional" Americam law suits of million dollar because some user burn the finger with soldering iron when try replace pot's ) one common cause of pot' "spikes" (jitters) is fault on this tabs plugs, you can try:

Press the tabs with pliers, or - better

Solder then (caution with his fingers ).
    Sokol1
    Last edited by 1lokos; Apr-11-2014 at 10:47.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    341.98 MB

you probably have multiple devices set up to control the throttle, make sure nothing else is set for throttle in the axis commands menu, same with the rudder and all joysticks plugged in
    I fly close to my man, aim well and then of course he falls down.

-- Captain Oswald Boelcke

i5 2500k, gtx 670 2gb, 8 gb ram, win 10 64

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Thanks for the replies and information.
    I have been through all the usual trouble shooting procedures, the controls are definitely only mapped to the one controller, no duplicated device settings. I had to open the rudder pedals to fix an issue with them being off centre and I have tightened all the connectors and secured them, but with a minimal improvement. Replacing the pots seems to be the solution for the rudder pedals if they all use pots and the CH ones are the best available. I use a Thrustmaster T1600 joystick, and if I map the throttle to the slider on it then the shaking stops. I would prefer to use a lever control as it feels better than pushing a little slider bar around, and it is easier to coordinate throttle and rpm movements. I have heard of this issue affecting several CH throttle quad users as well as Saitek X52 users. Bob Church's suggestion over at the CH Hangar was a floating deadzone that would move with the throttle but there is no way to easily implement this. Everything works well in Cliffs Of Dover, it's just the DCS series seems to be very sensitive to these controllers. It's a pity that the Warthog throttle unit isn't available separately.
    I was thinking of maybe using a different throttle unit as control for MP and RPM and keeping the CH unit for various other functions, hence the question regarding which throttle units don't cause this ingame view shaking.
    Great info Sokol, thank you for your suggestions.
    Cheers, Scream.
    Last edited by Screamadelica; Apr-11-2014 at 23:47.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What you could do as a quick fix is to take a pot from brakes and put it on rudder. That one should be as new.
    And you could try to clean that one from rudders. I really doubt it's worn out, just dirty probably.
    Just find some contact spray (Not WD40 !!!), remove the metal casing and clean the graphite layer from dust and spray it with a contact spray.
    That way you can also see if graphite layer is worn out.

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Inside:

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Inside:

Sokol1
    This takes me back to the old Thrustmaster Cougar and Throttle days.

I can't tell you how many POTs I've taken apart and done this to. Unfortunately, it's the scoring into the coating that often-times makes it a throwaway. I've mixed and matched ad-infinitum so many times.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Thrustmaster Cougar and Throttle days
    I know, TM F-22PRO/TQS pots quality was only less bad than Cougar ones.

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Thanks everyone for all this handy information. Looks like I have a little cleaning to do this weekend!
    I'm still not sure what to do about the throttle unit. Are there any types that are being used for DCS that don't shake the control ingame?
    Cheers, Scream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Screamadelica View Post
    Thanks everyone for all this handy information. Looks like I have a little cleaning to do this weekend!
    I'm still not sure what to do about the throttle unit. Are there any types that are being used for DCS that don't shake the control ingame?
    Cheers, Scream.
    Worthog throttle quad is perfect, I combine it with Mfg crosswind and either using the Mff2 or the worthog stick depends what i'm flying,I don't know anything about the new Logitech x55?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Hmmm. I thought that might be the answer. Now, how do I sneak a new set of MFG pedals and a Warthog Hotas into the house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

Now, how do I sneak a new set of MFG pedals and a Warthog Hotas into the house. [/QUOTE]

With the utmost of care

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Ok. Now there is a little guy dressed in a white suit with a little pair of wings on one shoulder, telling me to be sensible, and then there is this little guy in a red suit with a nice pitchfork on the other shoulder saying things like "Go on, you know you want to, you know you'll like them". Hmmm, things are not looking good for the little guy in white..... I like the fact that they come in a plain wrapped package.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    141.17 MB

clip the the white guys wings Buy Mrs Screamadelic a little gift and all should be sweet

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have a CH setup as well, and I have the same issue in DCS. I am thinking it has to do with DCS input sensitivity or the CH Manager dead zone settings. This hardware works beautifully in FSX, CoD, and RoF, so methinks the issue is within DCS.
    P9X79 Pro | i7-3930K | GTX680 | 2X 250GB SSD | 2TB HDD | 32GB RAM | Win7 64 | AdobeCC | Cinema4D
    Cliffs Of Dover | Battle Of Stalingrad | Rise Of Flight | DCS P-51 | FSX | X-Wing Alliance
    CH Pro Throttle | CH Combatstick | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

It's definitely a DCS thing. The pots only have a jitter of one point, which is as accurate as they can be, but no amount of tweaking can fix this.
    I've got a feeling that I'll be flying DCSWW2 for at least the next ten years, so I may as well invest in a solid set of controllers.
    Oh, and the little guy in the white suit seems to have had an unfortunate accident with the little red wombat's pitchfork, I mean, the little red guy's pitchfork.....
    Sod the 50 mission challenge, I'm on a no beer for 50 weeks challenge to pay for this! Wish me luck chaps.

Cheers, Scream.