Thread: In my opinion Windsock are needed on the airports

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Question In my opinion Windsock are needed on the airports

As there is no windsock or indication on runway in service in the majority of airfields.
    I suppose that some difficulties () I have to taxi are linked to wind ( eg cross wind).
    Other question, is there a tutorial on the procedures in use (39-41) on an airfield in particular grass airfield ( circuits on the ground and in the air )

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    142.80 MB

Re: In my opinion Windsock are needed on the airports

There is windsocks on all airfields in all missions on ATAG. Look for them at the beginning of active runways.
    Intel Core I9 9900kf, 32 GB DDR4 HyperX Predator @ 3200MHz, 2x Asus GTX 1080TI OC Strix, Asus WS Z390 PRO;
    Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB & 2x Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB SSDs, Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB HDD;
    27 inches Dell U2713HM 2560x1440;
    Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog with Sahaj 10 cm extension, MFG Crosswind V2, Logitech G13, Track-IR 5, Wheelstand Pro;
    Windows Seven x64

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Fine
    So could you tell me how I can get the active runway
    Other question that could help to navigate on the ground then in the aire.
    in the Hurricane or Spit I didn't find how to read the compass ( to tune the gyro compass)
    (Both are hidden by the Stick)? For the moment my navigation is very basic as I use the gyro compass initial setting (= 000 at start up)

PS I only found the windsock on only one airfield ( I don"t remember where).

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Press and hold the middle and left mouse button, move the mouse to left to change the camera POV
    and look at the P-8 Compass.

Or use HAT + JoyToKey (are topics about this).

Active runway is the one more near FROM where the wind blows, ask the tower (TAB > 7 > 3).
    You see numbers like:

Wind 90 3 Strip 180

The first (90) is the direction FROM where the wind come (in case from 90 TO 270), so search for a runway that point more close for this (90) direction.

The second is the wind speed (3 m/s), and third (180) is what Tower consider the "best" runway, but for some airfields dont make sense, so ignore and use the common sense.

And practice takeoff an landing with crosswind, is no difficulty.

Sokol1

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks a lot!
    Will try this.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

You can also use the yellow boards, if you use the runway with the boards yellow it means you're using the active (recommended) runway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

Active runway is the one more near FROM where the wind blows, ask the tower (TAB > 7 > 3).
    You see numbers like:

Wind 90 3 Strip 180

The first (90) is the direction FROM where the wind come (in case from 90 TO 270), so search for a runway that point more close for this (90) direction.

Sokol1
    Just to clarify. the active runway is not the one geographically closest to where the wind is coming from. For example if the wind is coming from the East then you should not taxi to the East side of the field. It is the runway whose number (times 10) is closest to the bearing the wind is coming from e.g. for an Easterly wind (90) you go to the West side of the field and use runway 09 (or closest to that bearing). Maybe that is what Solok1 was trying to say but it was not clear.

To add a bit of confusion, most maps with winds quote the winds back to front so when they say 'wind 90' they are actually saying the wind is blowing to the East. This is an error but as far as I am aware only the 401 server quotes it correctly. The runway boards and windsocks are correct on all maps though.
    56sqn US@R - Diary of a hopeless Pilot Officer http://roblex56raf.livejournal.com/

Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) > AMD Athlon II X4 605e @ 2300MHz
    16Gb RAM > Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti