Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Isn't the Emil 109 just so damned classic?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Isn't the Emil 109 just so damned classic?

Man, what a ferocious character- the aggressive little wing area, that yellow engine cowling, the flattened spinner tip and the square-edged wing tips! No bigger thrills to be had than having a myriad of these airframes criss-crossing through the virtual airspace. An insane looking fighting machine and by far the coolest of the BF family- the EMIL!
    Last edited by trademe900; Jul-27-2014 at 22:38.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Re: Isn't the Emil 109 just so damned classic?

Quote Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post

Man, what a ferocious character- the stubby little wings, that yellow engine cowling, the flattened spinner tip and the square-edged wing tips! No bigger thrills to be had than having a myriad of these airframes criss-crossing through the airspace. An insane looking fighting machine and by far the coolest of the BF family- the EMIL!
    I think she's much prettier when she's filled with holes and leaking hell from its rads.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Watch out Chuck_Owl- 20mm with your name on it coming your way...

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    345.02 MB

Watch out Chuck_Owl- 20mm with your name on it coming your way...
    Every 20mm shell has my name on it.

#Blenheimwagforever

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Eleven! Exactly. One louder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It really is beautiful and menacing at the same time. Almost like ole Willy wanted to scare the crap out of anyone on the receiving end .
    What's even more terrifying for it's opponents is the fact that if flow very properly it is (in my opinion) a much better aircraft than it's English counterparts.

See-decide-attack-reverse.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

the 109 is kinda unappreciated as far as her aesthetic; we all hear the endless drone of how beautiful the spitfire is but damn i find the 109 sexy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hell yes ! I have to agree, the plane is just so friggin Bad Ass. I am sure most have watched these movie clips. Just listen to that motor ! The sound of the motor is the other thing that really gets me going about the 109.

I just love that almost jet engine sounding high pitch whine it makes as it fly's by, then the rumble of the exhaust as it fly's away from you. ever since watching the Battle of Britain movie as a kid when the 109's strafe the RAF hurricane base in France and hearing those motors, I was in love.

Last edited by II/JG77_RC; Jul-28-2014 at 05:34.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Not as pleasing on the eye as the F4 my fav of all the 109 family
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Well, the F was a Hauge dissapointment for the pilots in the start, some good pilots was killed due to the wing was ripped off during hard manouvers, and the engine promised was not delivered.
    But its lightness made it a good dogfighter

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

JG77_RC; The 109s in the Battle of Britain movie were actually Spanish Buchon 109s, so the engine you were hearing in that case was actually a version of the RR Merlin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Quote Originally Posted by II/JG77_RC View Post
    Hell yes ! I have to agree, the plane is just so friggin Bad Ass. I am sure most have watched these movie clips. Just listen to that motor ! The sound of the motor is the other thing that really gets me going about the 109.

I just love that almost jet engine sounding high pitch whine it makes as it fly's by, then the rumble of the exhaust as it fly's away from you. ever since watching the Battle of Britain movie as a kid when the 109's strafe the RAF hurricane base in France and hearing those motors, I was in love.

Except the 109s in the movie Battle of Britain were ex-spanish Ha-1112s, powered by Merlin engines. Oh, the irony.

EDIT: ^ Beat me to it.

flare
    Last edited by ATAG_Flare; Jul-28-2014 at 15:51.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    JG77_RC; The 109s in the Battle of Britain movie were actually Spanish Buchon 109s, so the engine you were hearing in that case was actually a version of the RR Merlin.
    Quote Originally Posted by flare2000x View Post
    Except the 109s in the movie Battle of Britain were ex-spanish Ha-1112s, powered by Merlin engines. Oh, the irony.

EDIT: ^ Beat me to it.

flare
    . . .

if you listen to the movie you will hear that the motors have surprisingly very similar sound characteristics. or maybe they actually used sound of the DB 601.

anyways, back to the point: this is a thread about what people like about 109's.
    Last edited by II/JG77_RC; Jul-29-2014 at 04:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Hi guys,

I have a question concerning the Bf-109 and since I found this specific post about this fighter I decided to use this thread rather than entering a completely new one concerning my subject.After all it's about the 109!
    Wasn't supposed a single cannon firing through the nose cone to exist?In graphics the cannon is visible as the spinner has the so distinctive hole in front of it,but why the gun isn't usable in game?The "Motorcanone" as German Fighter Pilots used to call it was on board to almost all Emil's and only later in the War it was removed and the spinner finally took a spherical look up front.
    Even though I'm flying Red almost all of the time and more specifically the Spit,the Historic accuracy this Sim offers isn't justify something so important and I wonder how it could be missed.Unless it's impossible to be done from the technical point of view,I think it should be a must to soon see in some (near)future TF update.

Cheers,

Nick
    CPU:Intel i7 4770K@4.6GHz,CPU Cooling:Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme,GPU:Gigabyte GTX980 XTREME 4GD@1342MhZ,RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10D, 2X120Gb Hyper-X 3K Kingston SSD in Raid mode,1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 256GB & 1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB,Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X-OC,Case:Aerocool X-Predator Evil Black edition.Joystick:Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

I think that was the 109-E2 and it had 3 cannons (one in the nose), but it jammed often and so much like the canon equipped spits and hurris has been left out of the equasion in cliffs of dover.

from wikipedia:

E-2[edit]
    Only very limited numbers of the E-2 variant were built, for which the V20 prototype served as basis. It was armed with two wing mounted, and one engine mounted Motorkanone MG FF cannon, which gave considerable trouble in service, as well as two synchronized MG 17s cowl machine guns. In August 1940, II./JG 27 was operating this type.[16][17]

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by fly4ever View Post
    Hi guys,

I have a question concerning the Bf-109 and since I found this specific post about this fighter I decided to use this thread rather than entering a completely new one concerning my subject.After all it's about the 109!
    Wasn't supposed a single cannon firing through the nose cone to exist?In graphics the cannon is visible as the spinner has the so distinctive hole in front of it,but why the gun isn't usable in game?The "Motorcanone" as German Fighter Pilots used to call it was on board to almost all Emil's and only later in the War it was removed and the spinner finally took a spherical look up front.
    Even though I'm flying Red almost all of the time and more specifically the Spit,the Historic accuracy this Sim offers isn't justify something so important and I wonder how it could be missed.Unless it's impossible to be done from the technical point of view,I think it should be a must to soon see in some (near)future TF update.

Cheers,

Nick
    Nick, hey dude. By that same logic, the 110 must have also had Motor-Kannone? That hole is an air vent for the electric generator, not for a gun. Don't worry, TF haven't missed anything that glaringly obvious, and the only version of the Emil to carry an engine-mounted weapon was the Bf 109E-2, of which only a few were produced.

The nose cannon was chronically unreliable, the vibration of the engine plus heavy recoil plus overheating when firing caused the cannon to jam.

Cheers, trademe.
    Last edited by trademe900; Jul-29-2014 at 06:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Oh,ok guys,I didn't know it!
    I just thought it should be a cannon there to all E4's due to the spinner appearance which clearly seems to be accommodating the outer front portion of a cannon protruding out of the hole.

Thanks for the info Gents!

Cheers
    Nick
    CPU:Intel i7 4770K@4.6GHz,CPU Cooling:Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme,GPU:Gigabyte GTX980 XTREME 4GD@1342MhZ,RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10D, 2X120Gb Hyper-X 3K Kingston SSD in Raid mode,1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 256GB & 1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB,Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X-OC,Case:Aerocool X-Predator Evil Black edition.Joystick:Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I also love the look of the 109... it really looks like a "mean machine" and is a beauty.
    In my opinion she is only rivaled by the 110... she looks even more mean and i love to shoot british planes with it which happens rare for me unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Dear All,

Without a doubt, the Emil had few equals in the looks department. In game, however, I still find Im unable (as yet) to match the skills of other Emil loyalists here. I quietly console myself that it's for my not having a rudder, a good game stick, or any head tracking device. Shockingly, I even use the extended keyboard to pan views. And no one needs telling you how sit-awareness is paramount on CLoD.

But that said, I still notice a few oddities about the Emil worth bringing up. For instance, on a full tank I could practically freewheel and cavort alluva South-East of England all day without a worry about my tanks running dry. As against what Ive read of the Battle of Britain: how ME109 fliegers constantly worried about this, having less than 20 minutes effective flight time on operations over England before they had to dive back for France. Like I said, it doesn't feel that way in CLoD.

Secondly, and maybe I'm doing it wrong, each Spitfeuer Ive tried to steep-climb away from has effortlessly managed to keep on my tail through the climb and to shoot me down. Going by what I used to read, that shouldn't be; but again maybe I'm doing it wrong. To my chagrin even, a Hawker Hurricane once caught up with me in a dive and set me alight. Grrr!

But perhaps I should reserve my comments until I procure the missing accessories first, eh?

Pirabee.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Come up from the south of France, chaotically try to group up with another 100 aircraft and then zig-zag across the top of the armada whilst keeping formation with your own squad, all the way to London, THEN fight and go back home.... you'll quite quickly see where all that benzine went.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Come up from the south of France, chaotically try to group up with another 100 aircraft and then zig-zag across the top of the armada whilst keeping formation with your own squad, all the way to London, THEN fight and go back home.... you'll quite quickly see where all that benzine went.
    I like the way you say "benzine"

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

Do you mean benzedrine? Benzine is a notious solvent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.5 KB

It truly is an amazing aircraft it just blows me away at how smart the german war machine was whilst other airforces were trying to comoflage their aircraft the luftwaffe used sychological effects by painting their fighters with bright colors I couldn't even imagine being the one when they first saw the yellow noses and the fear created by that

its as if the Germans were all here we are come and get us

motherboard ASUS Z77
    CPU Intel i73770 k Liquid cooled overclocked to 4.5 ghz
    Gpu NVidia Geforce gtx 970
    memory 8 GB
    Power supply 850 watts
    Monitor ASUS PB278q 2560 x 1440 Native Resolution
    Saiteck x52 joystick and pedals
    Trackir 4

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Pirabee:

As Reinhart mentioned, the fuel issues were a result of the link up time needed to assemble large formations, the distance flown (London is about twice as far away from even the Calais area as any ATAG objectives except maybe the Boos - Theville run in relinquish, and the attacks over the western channel were of course worse) and of course the oft misinterpretation that they only had twenty minutes of flight. They actually had twenty minutes of full combat maneuvering after completing a long trip and link up time. Twenty minutes is a lot of combat.

As for climbing - don't zoom climb under 350. The spits will cover the distance as you plod upwards. That's time for a max sustained climb, maybe slowly losing speed down to the 250s. And as with all 109 isms, it won't save you from stupid. If you wheel about on the deck feeling mighty proud of yourself for shooting someone and are going 270, and a spit comes in from 1km higher, well, your SOL. As a side note to this, saving other players is good. But a lot of players will just drag you to your death with them - they think that turning and scissoring is really going to save them, and eventually they get a bullet in the rads because hey, you know they aren't going to out turn a spit, and unless they're top 5% they can't bleed the spit's E off with roll well enough to survive it. In the mean time they just drug you through a bunch of turns and scissors rather than give clean passes, and now your bait too.

Diving you get a short bunt while the carburettors kick out, but its not huge. Just a little bit of space. So, if you already have space, you can dive away gently. To outdive a close in opponent you need to be rockin the 700 kph line on the dial, anything less and they can hold with you.

25. Likes 9./JG52 Reinhart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

They improved the taktisk by rendevou with the bombers after the formation was at altitude and still did not get more than 10 minutes of fighting over England, I think it's the fighting itself

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by GloriousRuse View Post
    Pirabee:

As Reinhart mentioned, the fuel issues were a result of the link up time needed to assemble large formations, the distance flown (London is about twice as far away from even the Calais area as any ATAG objectives except maybe the Boos - Theville run in relinquish, and the attacks over the western channel were of course worse) and of course the oft misinterpretation that they only had twenty minutes of flight. They actually had twenty minutes of full combat maneuvering after completing a long trip and link up time. Twenty minutes is a lot of combat.

As for climbing - don't zoom climb under 350. The spits will cover the distance as you plod upwards. That's time for a max sustained climb, maybe slowly losing speed down to the 250s. And as with all 109 isms, it won't save you from stupid. If you wheel about on the deck feeling mighty proud of yourself for shooting someone and are going 270, and a spit comes in from 1km higher, well, your SOL. As a side note to this, saving other players is good. But a lot of players will just drag you to your death with them - they think that turning and scissoring is really going to save them, and eventually they get a bullet in the rads because hey, you know they aren't going to out turn a spit, and unless they're top 5% they can't bleed the spit's E off with roll well enough to survive it. In the mean time they just drug you through a bunch of turns and scissors rather than give clean passes, and now your bait too.

Diving you get a short bunt while the carburettors kick out, but its not huge. Just a little bit of space. So, if you already have space, you can dive away gently. To outdive a close in opponent you need to be rockin the 700 kph line on the dial, anything less and they can hold with you.
    Amen, all you need to know. Rolling-scissors is highly overrated and is merely prolonging death momentarily against any half-competent RAF pilot. I don't understand why people like to do this so much.

Also the split-S vertical dive at the fast roll-rate speeds will get you away every time. Negative G is overrated from RAF perspective. For many seemingly hopeless, low energy situations the only move you need to know is a split S vertical dive, reversing your exit direction. Doesn't matter how many spits or how close they are, they cannot roll with your little stubby wings and once they're shook you can commit to whatever direction you want to finish your split S with to escape and climb. Those little wings may not turn so well but can really help you escape.
    Last edited by trademe900; Jul-30-2014 at 05:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    155.92 MB

I find it kind of ironic that the E-7 that introduced the capability of carrying a 300L droptank only just started appearing in numbers when the BoB was nearing its end and older models were starting to see refits in October 1940.

As for the Emil, it has never really been a favourite of mine out of all the possible marks and models simply because I find the more streamlined curves of later models more pleasing and I highly favour the central cannon over the two wing mounted ones. But having spent my share of time in Cliffs I have grown fond of it and can only muse over what a Friedrich or Gustav would be like in this sim.

If I had to pick an overall favourite Bf109 I'd probably go with a G-10 Erla build like this one. 565kmh on the deck, 690kmh at 7500m, crazily good climbrate and decent turning ability. Plus there's both 20 and 30mm variants of it unlike with the Kurfürst that only ever came with the airborn grenade launcher (except for a very limited pre-production series).

Bf109G-10_Yellow_5_JG300_1200.jpg
    Last edited by Karaya; Jul-30-2014 at 10:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

I am bad spotting enemy ac, making zoom and boom tactics a no go for me, with a deasant leder I do fairly well in the 110 ,
    In that ac you really need to see the enemy first , in order to survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

GloriousRuse and Trademe,

Your points are well taken and I thank you both for clearing the air for me on the two aspects I raised, ie fuel load and zoom-climb/dive evasive move on the Emil. I have always wanted someone to state it in black and white the best approximate speeds for such maneuvers; but now I do have more than a fair idea.

On the fuel consumption issue, I really feel like a dork for not fathoming that out for myself. As I hear, even Leigh-Mallory had his work cut out assembling his much touted big wing RAF defending fighters each time the Luftwaffe came over. But hey thanks all the same for sorting me out on the point.

Cheers chaps,

Pirabee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The fuel consumption rate of all aircraft in the Sim will be looked at.

By no means are the current rates correct.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast