Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Stutters. (and what I have tried so far)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Re: Stutters. (and what I have tried so far)

O.k. Kelso,I'll revert back to normal for this tweaking except the received/transmitted buffers part.I also just noticed no further improvement but rather a stuttering increment from these Network adapter adjustments alone!

Finally what it was what you told me in your PM about this "Process Affinity Mask" inside my mod/conf.ini file?I thought you said there's gonna be some modifications to be additionally made in this file too.Any news about this yet?

Thanks mate!

Nick
    CPU:Intel i7 4770K@4.6GHz,CPU Cooling:Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme,GPU:Gigabyte GTX980 XTREME 4GD@1342MhZ,RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10D, 2X120Gb Hyper-X 3K Kingston SSD in Raid mode,1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 256GB & 1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB,Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X-OC,Case:Aerocool X-Predator Evil Black edition.Joystick:Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi, gents!

I have some interesting information, regarding to stuttering over WiFi (Windows 8.x).
    I got a some performance boost by disabling in the device manager all the elements,
    including hidden ones, of the network adapters section, except my WiFi adapter.
    At the figure they are marked with red square. With blue square marked my WiFi-adapter.

Device Manager WiFi.png

To check out result you have to run command

ipconfig /all

to be sure, that is working your WiFi-adapter only, not other ones.

To avoid running some of them after reboot or WiFi-adapter tuning
    you need to stop service iphlpsvc (IP-Helper service)

I hope somebody will get this information useful, and this way is applicable
    to ethernet adapters too
    Last edited by flyhog; Sep-19-2014 at 03:11.
    My desktop: i5-3470 3,2 GHz, 8 GB, GTX 760 2 GB, BenQ 27" FullHD, Windows 7
    Sorry, but I'm using online translation

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

Quote Originally Posted by fly4ever View Post
    O.k. Kelso,I'll revert back to normal for this tweaking except the received/transmitted buffers part.I also just noticed no further improvement but rather a stuttering increment from these Network adapter adjustments alone!

Finally what it was what you told me in your PM about this "Process Affinity Mask" inside my mod/conf.ini file?I thought you said there's gonna be some modifications to be additionally made in this file too.Any news about this yet?

Thanks mate!

Nick
    I've the same network interface adapter NIC as the one that fly4ever has, Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V. Initially I didn't see any stuttering improvement increasing the NIC memory buffers.

Fly4ever:

Regarding the Process Affinity Mask configuration. You need to put the following line under the [rts] section of your mod conf.ini file if your CPU has 8 cores:

[rts]
    ProcessAffinityMask=255

I saw a drastic increment in average fps online. My CPU has only 4 cores my setting is ProcessAffinityMask=15

Salute
    Last edited by E69_Mezzer; Nov-19-2014 at 23:49. Reason: correcting mistakes
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 4.2 GHz OC, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-D3H, RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel,
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070, Joystick: T16000M, Throttle: Thrustmaster TWCS, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, OS: Windows 10 64 bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Howdi gents.

Well, I did some severe and structurized testing the past few days.
    To cut a long story short, it has not given me what I hoped for. At
    some point I even got offline stutters in CloD and even stutters
    while watching vimeo or youtube movies in my browser.
    So this morning I restored my system to point I made early september.

I leave it for now, and accept the stutters. The only thing left to
    do is trying Flyhog's wifi tweaks (as I am on wifi too). I will report
    later and let you know if it is an improvement.

S!
    Lapwin
    1st. Royal Orange Flames website
    1st. ROF Netherlands
    No 322 Squadron RAF
    Niet praten maar doen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Found one more improvement for network

Network Throttling Index

By default, Windows Vista/7 implements a network throttling mechanism to restrict the processing of non-multimedia network traffic to 10 packets per millisecond (a bit over 100 Mbits/second). The idea behind such throttling is that processing of network packets can be a resource-intensive task, and it may need to be throttled to give prioritized CPU access to multimedia programs. In some cases, such as Gigabit networks and some online games, for example, it may be benefitial to turn off such throttling all together.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
    NetworkThrottlingIndex=ffffffff (DWORD, default: 10 hex, recommended: 10 hex for media sharing, ffffffff for gaming and max throughput, valid range: 1 through 70 decimal or ffffffff to completely disable throttling)

It is only recommended to change this setting in saturated Gigabit LAN environments, where you do not want to give priority to multimedia playback. Reportedly, disabling throttling by using ffffffff can also help reduce ping spikes in some online games.

Notes: Setting is available in Windows 7, Vista (SP1), 2008 Server. Default value is 10 under Windows 7, similar behavior if the setting is not present in the Registry.
    Games that may be affected by this throttling: Source Engine games (TF2, Left 4 Dead, CS, HoN, CoD, Overlord series.
    source

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

It's seems so funny for me - all these improvements significantly
    boosted my internet browsing, but CloD still stutters occasionally...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Flyhog,thanks for the information you wrote above concerning Network Throttling!Very useful one!
    By the way,does anybody has a clue what these "ffffffff" mean?Are they represent a certain value and where must someone add them inside the specific DWORD as described?Or are they stand for a numeric sequence which must be added somewhere manually?
    Here's how my certain item looks like in my system:
    DWORD Name:Network ThrottlingIndex
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data:0x0000000a (10)

Right click on specific DWORD and choose "Modify",so far so good...but where all these "ffffffff" must be entered?

It seems quite an interesting theory and I would like to give it also a try along with all other solutions proposed by Kelso earlier!If not for anything else,I see CoD referred among the games which supposedly could benefit from something like this!
    Games that may be affected by this throttling: Source Engine games (TF2, Left 4 Dead, CS, HoN, CoD, Overlord series.

Nick
    CPU:Intel i7 4770K@4.6GHz,CPU Cooling:Thermalright SilverArrow IB-E Extreme,GPU:Gigabyte GTX980 XTREME 4GD@1342MhZ,RAM: 2X4GB G.Skill F3-2400C10D, 2X120Gb Hyper-X 3K Kingston SSD in Raid mode,1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 256GB & 1 Samsung SSD 850PRO 512GB,Motherboard:Gigabyte Z87X-OC,Case:Aerocool X-Predator Evil Black edition.Joystick:Microsoft SideWinder ForceFeedback2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

By the way,does anybody has a clue what these "ffffffff" mean?
    FFFFFFFF = -1

Short explanation:
    That number is in hexadecimal meaning that you don't count to 10 but to 16 (10=A, 11=B, 12=C, 13=D, 14=E, 15=F).
    In this case, the first bit of the first F is the sign of the number (hence the - in -1) and negative numbers are counted backwards.

You can open windows calc, change the view to "programmer" and play with hexadecimal, decimal, binary and even Octal numbers

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

"CoD" means "Call of Duty", not Cliffs of Dover

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

I just changed it and now it looks like:
    Data:0xffffffff (4294967295)

There are numerous reports and posts all over the net about this and how badly can affect the online gaming producing lag, stuttering and ping spiking.
    Going to reboot now and fly immediately after.

If I have time I'll report in here later this evening whatever the outcome may be.

Cheers

Nick

P.S. Thanks for the tip flyhog,I thought your article was talking about our game

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I just changed it and now it looks like:
    Data:0xffffffff (4294967295)
    It must be "NetworkThrottlingIndex", without space between words!
    Here is zipped reg-file for this parameter:
    Throttle.zip
    Last edited by flyhog; Sep-19-2014 at 11:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Yeah,that's correct flyhog!
    Thanks

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

O.k. Kelso,I 'll stay tuned waiting for your tweaking guide.

Thanks for the info you PMed me.I already set my Launcher.exe to run at High priority and set the Process Affinity for this program to run on all 8 cores I have available which by the way are all unparked.However,I'm still missing the specific line you told me in [rts] section of my conf.ini inside my Mod folder.Therefore I doubt the changes I made in the way Launcher.exe is handled by my system had really any effect at all!

Nick
    Hi fly4ever,
    Your CPU Intel i7 4770K has 4 cores, I think that you have hyperthreading enabled on your BIOS thats why you see 8 CPU on your Task manager performance monitor. I don't know how may affect the game if you add the ProcessAffinityMask=255 (8 cores) or ProcessAffinityMask=15 (4 cores).

¡S
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 4.2 GHz OC, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-D3H, RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel,
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070, Joystick: T16000M, Throttle: Thrustmaster TWCS, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, OS: Windows 10 64 bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kelso View Post
    Hi fly4ever,
    Your CPU Intel i7 4770K has 4 cores, I think that you have hyperthreading enabled on your BIOS thats why you see 8 CPU on your Task manager performance monitor. I don't know how may affect the game if you add the ProcessAffinityMask=255 (8 cores) or ProcessAffinityMask=15 (4 cores).
    Hi Kelso,

That's what I also thought,my CPU is listed with 4 cores and 8 threads so it must be 4 cores thus the ProcessAffinityMask=15 is presumably the correct paramater I must add.
    I didn't came up with conclusions yet like I thought I would yesterday evening as I didn't proceed any further with my systems tweaking.Monday early afternoon after the work is over in the office I hope I'l proceed further with the rest and see what will happen.This procedure with disabling this-enabling that and vice versa is definitely time cosnuming!

See ya soon Gents!

Nick

xvii-Hardegen

I've done some trials and I've noted some things regarding the stutters(I'm on windows 8)

Most of the time they are provoked by too high video settings.
    On my laptop,for example,I get the stutters if I use a screen resolution (ingame) of 1366x768 but not at all if I change it to 1280x600.
    Another thing that is quite usefull to reduce the stutters is this:

If you go to the ingame video options one of them is the "Terrain shadows" on the right side of the list(once enabled the advanced ones).
    This option is a little bit misleading because in reality it doesn't affect at all the shadows of the terrain.
    In reality,what it does,is changing the distance at what,starting from your aircraft as center,the ground objects on the map are rendered in the game.
    Try to set it to "Low" and you will notice big improvements in how your game runs and almost eliminates the stutters(in conjunction with lowering the resolution) due to the fact that it renders less objects at the same time and as you know they are a lot on the ground.
    Take in mind,somehow,that more you decrease it more you have to go close to objects to see them rendered.
    Here I use medium as setting and everything works ok.

At least here the main thing that causes FPS drops is when there are too many burning fires.I don't know if it's something related to the smoke particles generated (but I don't think so due to the fact that I get FPS drops also when I disable the smokes in the video options),I'm more inclined to think that there's something wrong in the ingame online code but,as said,I'm not sure.

I hope this could help!
    Last edited by xvii-Hardegen; Sep-24-2014 at 08:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Nvidia has released drivers 344.11 and most SLI problems are greatly reduced, if not completely eliminated:

-In Nvidia 2D surround with 3 monitors, SLI now works with 99% utilization of both GPU's and a full loadup of VRam on each card, although only 1/2 of that total memory is used, like before. (2 x 3gb cards fill 6gb, but only 3 gb is accessed). FPS has doubled compared to the old drivers in my system, so I guess it's working! BUT...

-When a single monitor is selected instead of the three screen option, the VRam fills both cards but like above, only half the total is used. Only one GPU shows active in the monitor, the FPS seems unchanged, but it feels smoother to me.

-Microstuttering is nearly eliminated in both single and multi-display SLI setups. Big improvement!

-Nvidia 2D surround is now available with TWO Monitors! I set it up but because the bezels between the screens will obviously be an aiming issue in CLoD, I didn't play it that way. Someone may wish to try a work-around and use it.

So, SLI now does work in CLoD if you have a three screen setup! I get 58 FPS with three 30" monitors powered by GTX780 x2 in Cliffs of Dover at the medium Video setting.

UPDATE...SLI now works with a single monitor if Nvidia Inspector (free download) is used to activate both graphics cards.
    Last edited by Baffin; Oct-14-2014 at 09:17. Reason: UPDATED
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello.
    My friend used win8 and had stutter and god knows what. We did everything to get rid if it. Nothing worked. So he bought win7 from ebay for some stupid low price and installed it on his SSD and clod. Now it runs like a dream. Stable fps and smooth gameplay.

Just saying...buy win7 and evade all the hassle.
    Cheers N8 and Master Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Otyg would win the most impact on me prize, he's a winner in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Seems to be the one and only fix, ATAG_Otyg.
    Lapwin
    1st. ROF Netherlands
    No 322 Squadron RAF
    Niet praten maar doen!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Since this thread is running out of steam and I have nothing better to do (sigh), I thought it may be a good time to write a summary for people new to CloD who think they have the same problem.

It is important to realize that we are talking about a very specific issue here, not stuttering in general. The stuttering we are talking about has these characteristics:

* Only Windows 8(.1) users are affected, and so far only NVIDIA users report problems. Yes, there are other people with similar problems, but they all seem to be able to solve their issues with one of the 'standard' solutions.

* It seems to be caused by enemy planes nearby, and strangely enough only in online play. (But that's really hard to say with certainty.)

* It is not caused by inadequate graphics settings. Yes, there are situations where the game spawns a ridiculous amount of particles and when that happens the game slows down. But these are 'regular' FPS drops, not the strange microstuttering we experience. I have stuttering with everything set to low when there is nothing in sight and the average FPS are well above 100. On the other hand, I have no stuttering with high graphics settings and tons of effects on screen, as long as there is no enemy nearby.

* It is not the infamous SLI microstuttering. Most of us don't have SLI.

* In my opinion it is not solely a lag issue. I know some people here believe this, but frankly I think that was jumping to conclusions. Yes, it seems to only occur online, but there are people who can play the game smoothly, apparently in North America and Europe, and there are people who can't, also in North America and Europe. That doesn't point clearly to high pings and 'jumpy' connections as the cause. Another thing is that the stuttering affects head movement with TrackIR (at least mine does). With connection lag I would expect jumping planes, maybe even your own plane, but I'm pretty sure the head movement is purely client-side -- and I can't image the devs would pause the whole game if network packets are missing. (But you never know...)

* Most likely it is not solely 'spawn-stuttering'. Yes, there are hiccups when planes spawn (e.g. AI bombers on the ACG server) and other stuff has to load, maybe even when objects enter or exit your 'bubble', but often I get continuous stuttering and I can't imagine that stuff is constantly changing that much (even if we allow for LOD-changes, etc.). But I'm not sure here.

* From looking at my CPU usage graphs I'm pretty sure CPU load spikes can be excluded.

Lapwin, correct me if I'm wrong.

My personal theory is that the network code triggers something the NVIDIA driver doesn't like at all and that causes small freezes (about 100ms). (GPU usage has regular dents when the stuttering occurs.) Of course this is as much speculation as everything else in this thread.

So far the only confirmed solution indeed seems to be to switch to Win7.

I didn't want to add another shaky, not-well-tested piece of advice to this thread, but apparently I can't resist, so here it goes:

I *think* I *may* have had some success by trying to emulate Snapper's solution from another thread:
    I disable all cores (except one of course) in the BIOS before playing (while leaving Hyperthreading enabled).
    The stuttering doesn't disappear, but I have been able to play relatively decently for the past few days, even on full servers.
    Interestingly, manually restricting CloD to one core doesn't seems to have any effect.
    It is extremely hard to test, because you can never reproduce a specific situation online, but I'd say overall the stuttering has turned from 'continuously annoying and unplayable' to 'sporadically annoying'. Or maybe I just got used to it, who knows.

I also did Kelso's thing with the buffers, and set up my NVIDIA settings like this:
    Max pre-rendered frames: 1
    Multi-display, mixed gpu accel: single display (other completely disabled)
    Power management: prefer max performance
    Threaded optimization: off
    triple buffering: off
    vsync: on (in app) (maybe the adaptive stuff is worth a try, but I doubt it'll make a difference)

Windows power management to high performance.

Custom skins disabled.

Again: I can't say any of these settings have a clear individual effect, but maybe in concert they do something.

[God, I have too much time.]
    Last edited by macnihilist; Sep-24-2014 at 17:00. Reason: Added win PM setting + custom skins setting; fixed typos

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Offline: All the objects, textures etc are loaded at mission start
    Online: Objects, textures etc are loaded when come into a certain distance.

Now...
    1.- I wonder if the stutter can be reproduced offline by making a mission that does not have enemy planes at the start and spawns them latter.
    Normally the offline missions have all the planes already there.
    2.- I wonder if the stutters can be reproduced running a local server and connecting to it instead of single player. This would rule out/in the network latency for good as everything, except the network, will be the same as online.

Sadly I have W7 so I can't test this my self.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post

Ill make it explicit: Can someone with Win8 attempt to prove right or wrong Colander hypothesis? Thank you!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    1.- I wonder if the stutter can be reproduced offline by making a mission that does not have enemy planes at the start and spawns them latter.
    Normally the offline missions have all the planes already there.
    2.- I wonder if the stutters can be reproduced running a local server and connecting to it instead of single player. This would rule out/in the network latency for good as everything, except the network, will be the same as online.

I could test it, but I can't make a mission.

In offline campaign missions I never noticed bad stuttering, even with large distances and large groups involved, but if everything is there right from the start, regardless of distance, that is of course to be expected.

Option 2 would need some players to get conclusive results (if I understand it correctly), so that test would probably need some coordinated effort.

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here but the reverse of test 1 would be interesting, too. Perhaps even more interesting.
    A very small map online with everybody cramped together right from the beginning. Then one could test if stutters only occur when people are spawning / entering bubbles or constantly. To some extent this could be done on AX Dogfight, but there are seldom more than ten people on it and the spawning is too uncoordinated.

The next questions is of course what could be done to fix it without source code. Could very well be that we put a lot of effort into finding the cause and it will be in vain in the end anyway. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just a post that was needed and long overdue. Splendid job Macnihilist;
    that is a well written summary. Actually I have just a few additions (from my
    perspective) on a few of your conclusions. I share your thoughts on all issues
    though.

You wrote:
    In my opinion it is not solely a lag issue.
    true: my thoughts are that is a net-code thing which expresses itself in lag-spikes,
    also known as stutters - and only Nvidia Windows 8+ jockeys suffer.

Another thing is that the stuttering affects head movement with
    TrackIR
    Yup, true. And the propellor animation is the best indicator for stutters.
    Its hardly steady, and makes flying in the game looking forward quite stressful
    for the eyes.

Most likely it is not solely 'spawn-stuttering'.
    True. I have this feeling as well. Let me illustrate: Last time I was online I was
    flying near the Isle of Wight. Allied ships just south of it, and I flew CAP in a Spit.
    No significant stutters. I scanned the skies and on the ground I saw flak puffs.
    Some stutters when I looked around. I pointed my nose groundwards and saw
    a low level flying Stuka. I saddled up and closed in. No stutters anymore. When
    the stuka almost filled my screen I gave a long burst. He broke left, I pointed
    my nose up. No stutters. I looked down, he was trailing white smoke and made
    another speed pass on him aiming for the cockpit. Hits, no stutters. We were in
    between the allies ships now and I saw flak puffs higher than me. I got some
    bad stutters now. Than my screen when red-ish. Hits! Two Emils went in and
    out on me, some dance it was. It lasted 5 minutes or so, but than they got my
    elevator. In these 5 minutes no stutters whatsoever. A dozen ships below, flak
    puffs, few clouds, 3 enemy planes and me and no stutters. Odd. I was flying
    and testing with maxed out ingame video settings (and monitor on 120Mhz).
    Game looks stunning at those settings by the way.

From looking at my CPU usage graphs I'm pretty sure CPU load
    spikes can be excluded
    True. I did several tests to make sure. Parked/unparked, set launcher.exe to
    another core etc. To no avail.

My personal theory is that the network code triggers something
    the NVIDIA driver doesn't like
    If so, than why don't Windows 7 pilots with an Nvidia card suffer from it? So I am
    not sure if your theory holds ground.

My personal theory is game related (server side) net-code thing which expresses
    itself in lag-spikes. I would like to see brighter people than me (meaning the dev-
    members of Team Fusion would) look into this issue. As stated earlier, more and
    more players will log on with Windows 8(.1) the coming years.

Now about reproducing the online problem into the offline world. Sounds like a plan
    ATAG_Colander. Can someone make a mission and tell me how I run it on
    a server? Never done that, but willing to try. Give me a shout.

S! all
    Lapwin
    1st. ROF Netherlands
    No 322 Squadron RAF
    Niet praten maar doen!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Lapwin View Post
    If so, than why don't Windows 7 pilots with an Nvidia card suffer from it? So I am
    not sure if your theory holds ground.
    It's not really my area of expertise, but I think there are a few differences in the Windows Display Driver Model between Windows 7 and 8, so it's not totally implausible.
    But like I said: it is speculation, not more than an educated guess on shaky ground.

I've been trying to get my hands on an AMD card to test this, but so far I've had no luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    270.07 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Fidget View Post
    Nvidia has released drivers 344.11 and most SLI problems are greatly reduced, if not completely eliminated:

-In Nvidia 2D surround with 3 monitors, SLI now works with 99% utilization of both GPU's and a full loadup of VRam on each card, although only 1/2 of that total memory is used, like before. (2 x 3gb cards fill 6gb, but only 3 gb is accessed). FPS has doubled compared to the old drivers in my system, so I guess it's working! BUT...

-When a single monitor is selected instead of the three screen option, the VRam fills both cards but like above, only half the total is used. Only one GPU shows active in the monitor, the FPS seems unchanged, but it feels smoother to me.

-Microstuttering is nearly eliminated in both single and multi-display SLI setups. Big improvement!

-Nvidia 2D surround is now available with TWO Monitors! I set it up but because the bezels between the screens will obviously be an aiming issue in CLoD, I didn't play it that way. Someone may wish to try a work-around and use it.

So, SLI now does work in CLoD if you have a three screen setup! I get 58 FPS with three 30" monitors powered by GTX780 x2 in Cliffs of Dover at the medium Video setting.

Nice driver indeed..I´m on a single card.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Otyg View Post
    Hello.
    My friend used win8 and had stutter and god knows what. We did everything to get rid if it. Nothing worked. So he bought win7 from ebay for some stupid low price and installed it on his SSD and clod. Now it runs like a dream. Stable fps and smooth gameplay.

Just saying...buy win7 and evade all the hassle.
    I took notice of this advice from day 1 on the forum, whilst inquiring as to a new Rig suitable for stable game play with maximum image quality, acquiring an un-opened copy of Win7 Ultimate on Ebay PDQ.
    Only the Mobo, CPU, RAM, to go now , Oh yes, and the SSD, GFX, and PSU
    Last edited by Das RaVeN; Sep-26-2014 at 07:55.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Das RaVeN View Post
    I took notice of this advice from day 1 on the forum, whilst inquiring as to a new Rig suitable for stable game play with maximum image quality, acquiring an un-opened copy of Win7 Ultimate on Ebay PDQ.
    Only the Mobo, CPU, RAM, to go now , Oh yes, and the SSD, GFX, and PSU
    Good man good man they are cheap on ebay both co.uk and .com. Been playing with said friend this week and he have absolutely no problems except a slight bad aim

For gpu go nvidia not amd. Less problems and shadow play.

Welcome to the community and good luck!
    Cheers N8 and Master Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Otyg would win the most impact on me prize, he's a winner in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

Hi all again,
    I think that the reasons why stuttering occurs online are the following:

Network socket
    Clod online multiplayer depends heavily on a good connection with the server to maintain a decent framerate (FPS).

Vertical synchronization
    With Vsync turned off your framerate is able to go as high as physically possible from your video card but allowing the framerate to exceed the refresh rate of your display produces tearing. The cure to tearing is to turn Vsync on. What this does is cap the game's framerates to the highest native refresh rate of your display. This means on our 60Hz display, the game won't exceed 60 FPS. The problem with turning VSync on is that the framerate is locked to multiples of 60. If the framerate drops even just a little below 60 FPS VSync will drop all the way from 60 FPS to 30 FPS, if the framerate drops ever so slightly below 30 FPS the next step down for VSync is 20 FPS, and then the next step down is 15 FPS. This is a huge drop in framerate, and that large change in framerate becomes very noticeable, the result is called stuttering.

Recommended actions to avoid/reduce stuttering.

Nvidia users deactivate the in-game Vsync and activate Adaptive Vsync in the Nvidia control panel. Adaptive VSync caps the game to the refresh rate of your display. It will cap to 60 FPS on 60Hz displays, or 120 FPS on 120Hz displays. if the framerate drops below your refresh rate VSync shuts off and allows your framerate to run in real-time. This feature will reduce the stutter caused by framerate drop playing Cliffs of Dover online.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/.../#.VDBylvl_uSp

Update 07/10/2014:
    AMD/Radeon users activate Dynamic V-sync control or Dynamic framerate control

-Nvidia control panel and in-game video settings
    To avoid the stuttering it's neccesary to get a max framerate as high as possible above your display refresh frequency, 60 fps on our 60Hz display. Your in game video settings should be the low-medium ones, Vsync deactivated, antialising low or deactivated, deactivating the shadows increases a lot the framerate. Set your Nvidia control panel settings to get the better performance not quality. Adjust your video settings to get a compromise within quality and performance to get a max framerate (FPS) as high as posible with Adaptive Vsync and triple buffering on in the Nvidia Control Panel settings. You must exit the game and restart to get the nvidia control panel setting changes to take effect, use the global settings tab not the Program settings tab. Select threaded optimization on to take advantage of multiple CPU cores.

I also recommend to add the line ProcessAffinityMask option under the [rts] section of your \Users\...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\conf.ini file according the following info:
    http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpos...3&postcount=35

-Headtracking software select framerate sample to not exceed your average in-game FPS

-Update your motherboard and system component drivers.
    Chipset: Intel Management Engine Interface and Intel INF installation
    Network Interface Card (NIC): LAN driver
    Audio: HD audio driver
    SATA RAID/AHCI: SATA driver (Win8.1 may have changed your SATA AHCI driver/controller, the Intel one should use iaStor.sys)

Intel provides an online driver update utility: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

-Update Windows
    Install all the windows 8/8.1 updates.

-MTU adjustement a must.
    Download and try cFosSpeed. CFosSpeed is a software solution for traffic shaping for the Windows operating system. It aims to improve Internet latency while maintaining high transfer rates, it has some nice features for online gaming: Programs prioritization (set Launcher.exe to the higher priority), favor ping time, packet loss avoidance, Automatic MSS (MTU) optimization.

-Networt Interface Card (Nic) optimization for quick response and low latency
    Minimize or disable Interrupt Moderation Rate, (My Nic better option is adaptation)
    Disable Offload TCP Segmentation.
    Disable Jumbo Packets.
    Increase Transmit Descriptors (Buffer).
    Increase Receive Descriptors (Buffer).

http://driveragent.com/c/archive/172...gpgu53#latency

-IObit Game booster
    Download and launch Cliffs of Dover with IObit Game booster (free). Game booster will shutdown unneccesary windows services, you can select which programs and services will run while playing Cliffs of Dover. It has also a tool to tweak windows to get the top performance for gaming.

-Don't forget to shutdow your firewall and antivirus

¡S
    Last edited by E69_Mezzer; Nov-19-2014 at 23:46. Reason: correcting mistakes

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    67.77 MB

Hi again Kelso and all the others in this so informative thread!

I just would like to inform anyone with an AMD based GPU card there's a new driver from AMD, version 14.9 on 29/09/2014!Just installed it and go fly to see if there are any improvements in the game.

Thanks Kelso for the new and summarized info in your last post.I'll try to fiddle my VSync settings a little just in case!

Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.21 MB

I'm sticking with the AMD 14.41. To date, it's the best driver performance wise that works with DCS. (Many tests, and many threads over on their forum, about the DLL driver injection method, etc).

I'm using Win 8.1, (see my specs in the sig). And, a dedicated sound card, (disabled the onboard one). Also, I have both my CPU & GPU OC'd a little.

Not having any issues with Win 8.1 whatsoever. I do see a lag or stutter, from time to time, when flying on a high ping Server. But that's to be expected.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/wind...sta-7-8-a.html

To be honest, I think since my CPU is running at 4.2ghz, it's probably "bulldogging" over the stutter issue. This CPU I have, just flat out kicks @$$!
    Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra, i7-9700k (4.9ghz all cores), NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL-14 3200mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Soundblaster Z, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 1x 512GB Samsung NVMe, 2x 1TB Samsung NVMe, 2TB Samsung SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, EVGA 850 P2 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2 , K-51 Helicopter Collective Control, Reverb G2, SteamVR res: 2820x2760 (80%), nVidia driver 536.23

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast