Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The final refraction video

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.63 MB

The final refraction video

1/JG27_Nemesis! made this experiment and video.
    Pretty conclusive and prove what we have been saying since Oleg introduced the Bar issue

Last edited by HaJa; Aug-27-2014 at 09:25.

2. Likes gavagai, The_Mighty_Lark liked this post
    xvii-Dietrich

Re: The final refraction video

Wow! Fantastic demonstration. I know all about refraction theoretically, but I would never have thought how dramatic the effect would really be. In any case, you've done a great set-up there. Thanks for taking the time to make the video to share the results with us. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.63 MB

Credits to 1/JG27_Nemesis! that made this and posted in BoS forum. Not my work

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Fantastic research .... and demonstration ..... thanks

Chief
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Bloody well done
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Excellent video

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Any doubts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Wow! If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this video is worth a million.

What surprised (and impressed) me was viewing the house across the street through the angled glass vs only air. I expected the house to "jump" up (or down) significantly when panning over to the glass, then "jump back" again when returning to just air once more. However, the house (and other objects) stayed exactly in the same plane. The only difference was the greater lower viewing area when looking though the glass, unobstructed by the lower frame.

Great video!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Wow! If a picture is worth a thousand words, then this video is worth a million. :thumbsup
    I totally agree. To me the whole topic was new and I was not really sure if the yes- or nay-sayers were right. But this excellent demonstration answers all questions.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Wow!
    This is a great example of empirical evidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    163.3 KB

BTW, what sort of engineer is Oleg? You know, curiosity killed the cat.

AA_Engadin
    Reality is everything that happens when you run out of battery. But it also can be an alteration of the perception due to a forced lack of alcohol, though. Should both coincide in time, a plan B is compulsory to overcome a deadly overdose of reality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.63 MB

Don't know but in my book he failed physics 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

And here we go, exelent video. But I dont blame nor patronize the 3 D artist or Oleg as easily.
    That comment engadin, shows no respect for what work is done and difficultes in 3 D work and simulation.
    I hope they fix this, who would have thought of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

If Team Fusion creates a FW190A/D, our pilot view will not have any issue with a bar.

P.S. Oleg is a very good engineer, a wonderful Simulation designer, and deserves everyone's utmost respect.

No one is free from error... we are all human.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.63 MB

Didn't mean any disrespect for Oleg, bad joke on my part. We have Oleg to thank for a decade of
    joy in the virtual sky but they were very firm about the "bar"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

My reaction is this Haja, not yours.
    Something many and indeed BOS forum need to learn is. Constructive critique Are more a sign of respect and devotion, than disrespect.
    But in my soon to be 20 years expirience in a lagre number of more and less successful flightsims. None Are made by people who cannot do their job.
    Oleg made clod, witch took him 4 years and still just a small number of people had a pc to run it.
    It is a tremendious lot of work and cirumstances that need to be adressed.
    Simply being a user does not give us any insight to judge anyone being part of the dev team. We simply can adress issues and our subjective opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by AA_Engadin View Post
    BTW, what sort of engineer is Oleg? You know, curiosity killed the cat.

AA_Engadin

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    My reaction is this Haja, not yours.
    Something many and indeed BOS forum need to learn is. Constructive critique Are more a sign of respect and devotion, than disrespect.
    But in my soon to be 20 years expirience in a lagre number of more and less successful flightsims. None Are made by people who cannot do their job.
    Oleg made clod, witch took him 4 years and still just a small number of people had a pc to run it.
    It is a tremendious lot of work and cirumstances that need to be adressed.
    Simply being a user does not give us any insight to judge anyone being part of the dev team. We simply can adress issues and our subjective opinion.
    Let's wait till Engadin appears, but I can tell you that knowing him and also knowing his mother tongue, I believe he was genuinely interested to know Oleg's speciality, and not to be irrespectful or sarcastic.

~S~
    Last edited by SG1_Lud; Aug-28-2014 at 10:32.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I think he's genuinely asking and I can't answer as I don't know what engineer Oleg is either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Then my deepest apology, I struggle with English writing myself

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Ok, found this but I'm not sure how correct it is (some people say you can't trust the internet )

"...Graduated from Moscow Aviation Institute. Aviation engineer. Worked as lead engineer for 11 years for some of military design bureaus in Moscow. In additional to the main education in 1991 graduated from Moscow State University, department of Photography."

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by LuseKofte View Post
    Then my deepest apology, I struggle with English writing myself

All fine LuseKofte it happens to all of us foreigners. I am sure he will answer you, he's a good chap.

S!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Ok, found this but I'm not sure how correct it is (some people say you can't trust the internet )

"...Graduated from Moscow Aviation Institute. Aviation engineer. Worked as lead engineer for 11 years for some of military design bureaus in Moscow. In additional to the main education in 1991 graduated from Moscow State University, department of Photography."
    Thanks. YEah that looks pretty accurate. Not sure if I would break any rule posting here more details, so I wont, but he has a profile in Linkedin.
    After he moved from Maddox Games in 2010, he is working for Vizerra http://vizerra.com/ in Barcelona, Spain.

And here he is http://vizerra.com/about/team/

Hood

A photographer would understand about light and lens refraction.

It is possible that the refraction issue is a computing power problem and let's not forget that the genesis of CloD and indeed the DN engine was a long time ago and computing power has come on leaps and bounds since.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with the inner dimensions looking right and the external model being correct (if this is possible) or, for laughs, why not have the correct internal viewing dimensions but lock people to it with zoom and wide/90 POV etc being disabled.

Actually I'm more in favour of locking the inside viewing area to the MkI eyeball though you'd need a fix for peripheral vision.

Hood

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    A photographer would understand about light and lens refraction.

It is possible that the refraction issue is a computing power problem and let's not forget that the genesis of CloD and indeed the DN engine was a long time ago and computing power has come on leaps and bounds since.

Personally I wouldn't have an issue with the inner dimensions looking right and the external model being correct (if this is possible) or, for laughs, why not have the correct internal viewing dimensions but lock people to it with zoom and wide/90 POV etc being disabled.

Actually I'm more in favour of locking the inside viewing area to the MkI eyeball though you'd need a fix for peripheral vision.

Hood
    Maybe a possible solution would be to have a center view, 20 to 25 cm in diameter depending on the screen size with the mk1 eyeball view and around that a fisheye view which extends to the normal peripheral vision of about 170 degree.
    In this distorted part movement should be emphasized as it is in nature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Excellent video showing the issue of badly modelling the FW-190 'Bar' in cockpit view

JG Nemesis put up a great and informative post showing the issues some Simulations have with the FW-190 cockpit 'Bar' which blocks the view if modelled badly. Very impressive video

http://youtu.be/uCGsyjt5ANU

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Re: Excellent video showing the issue of badly modelling the FW-190 'Bar' in cockpit

Haja posted this same excellent video down in the BoS section a couple of days ago, but very likely many have not yet seen it. I'd like to leave this thread here for a few days, then perhaps move it down to our DCS section which just released the Dora for reference there.

BTW, thanks to Haja and MP for bringing this video to the ATAG forum. It clearly shows the amazing, yet elegantly simple, solution that refraction plays in negating the thickness of the lower mounting rail/bar from the pilot's field of vision.

Haja's thread: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=12537

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Re: Excellent video showing the issue of badly modelling the FW-190 'Bar' in cockpit

Very impressive.

With this information kept in mind, the 190 becomes an even more desirable plane
    John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by robtek View Post
    Maybe a possible solution would be to have a center view, 20 to 25 cm in diameter depending on the screen size with the mk1 eyeball view and around that a fisheye view which extends to the normal peripheral vision of about 170 degree.
    In this distorted part movement should be emphasized as it is in nature.
    The only way to 'properly' do it would be to have picture-in-picture rendering. Which would be very expensive for a flight sim which renders large game worlds and many game objects. Red Orchestra 2 is a good example with sniper rifles' picture in picture rendering. DCS has picture in picture capability for MFDs and mirrors, but they are lower resolution and lower frame-rates than the rest of the game world (You can adjust these in settings so that it doesn't kill your frame rate. They didn't do the same for the 190 gunsight because it would either look terrible, or waste too much memory/cpu.

The other way to do it would be opacity, having certain parts of the plane viewed through the gun sight translucent. It's not the same as refraction, but it would allow you to build an accurate cockpit, though the gun sight view would be rather short and blocked by the nose of your plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    17.61 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_NakedSquirrel View Post
    The only way to 'properly' do it would be to have picture-in-picture rendering. Which would be very expensive for a flight sim which renders large game worlds and many game objects. Red Orchestra 2 is a good example with sniper rifles' picture in picture rendering. DCS has picture in picture capability for MFDs and mirrors, but they are lower resolution and lower frame-rates than the rest of the game world (You can adjust these in settings so that it doesn't kill your frame rate. They didn't do the same for the 190 gunsight because it would either look terrible, or waste too much memory/cpu.

The other way to do it would be opacity, having certain parts of the plane viewed through the gun sight translucent. It's not the same as refraction, but it would allow you to build an accurate cockpit, though the gun sight view would be rather short and blocked by the nose of your plane.
    Like you said , I wonder if they could adapt the code for rearview mirrors to define an area over the front windscreen that would have an altered viewport to simulate the refracted view? Your point on performance issues is noted, but in mirrors the performance hit comes from having to generate a whole new viewport. With the refracted view the scene is already rendered, I would have thought it would be the case of using some matrix maths to translate a section to the new viewport. That would be less intensive than rendering a whole new view. (It has been a long time since I've played with graphics (and even then I was way over my head) so I'm probably over simplifying it in my head.)

At the moment CoD has major issues with it's Mirror code but Bo$ wasn't too bad from memory.

[EDIT] Oops! Does BoS have mirrors? If so which planes? I might have been confused with DCS but when I went in just then I tried a random selection of planes and none of them had 'em.

Not being a regular 190 Jockey, the modified cockpit looked quite reasonable.
    Last edited by Skoshi_Tiger; Aug-29-2014 at 23:02.
    In the past, aggressive Australian patrols have caused the enemy great embarrassment by unremittingly harassing his line of communications, destroying his dumps, and generally indulging in a "spot of bastardry." – Notes for Platoon & Section Leaders distributed to Allied Land Forces in SouthWest Pacific Area-Operations 1943.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

WOW ! what a great video. The thick glass actually makes the line of site better than it has ever been modeled in any of the IL2's modded and not.

Very cool stuff. I sure hope we see the day that TF models us a Fw190 I am sure they would get that windscreen correct the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast