Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The final refraction video

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

Re: The final refraction video

I wonder what the result would look like if the glass used in the experiment was the actual thickness of the cockpit glass and not 1.5 times the actual thickness?
    Only then will we have the final definitive answer to the endless debate.

Anybody fancy some lab time?
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.63 MB

Actually that is not true, since the glass and frame have the same thickness this is
    a correct empirical experiment that shows the same effect as the original glass would
    have on the original frame and view. The only difference is that in this case the fwd
    view is slightly more deflected and as such the original glass would render marginally
    lesser downward view. The lower frame would still not be seen and the side frames would
    also be much less obstructing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Screamadelica View Post
    I wonder what the result would look like if the glass used in the experiment was the actual thickness of the cockpit glass and not 1.5 times the actual thickness?
    I had some thoughts that even this video might not end the discussion completely. Regarding the thickness I see it this way: as it is (nearly) proven now that refraction was not only a coincidentially effect I would even say it most likely was an essential part of the development process of the Fw 190's cockpit. I am quite sure that the developers were trying to get a near-perfect usage of this effect. So I would doubt that you would have a (much) better view through a thicker windshield.

Of course, in contrast to the scientific approach of the video this purely is a pragmatic one...

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

I agree totally with what the video shows, just playing the devil's advocate.

It would have been great if the video showed the exact view from the pilot's perspective through the correct thickness of glass, as it would give the various developers involved an accurate depiction of how to adjust the bar to where it should be, or a suitable compromise position, as well as finally and completely putting the whole debate to rest. We need to make the developers go and sit in an actual FW 190 cockpit! Problem solved!

Cheers, Scream.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Well done.

Though there is no 190 in Cliffs of Dover.
    Windows 8.1 64bit
    Core i7 - 4790, 4.0 GHz
    EVGA GTX 660, 3 GB
    16 GB RAM, Kingston HyperX Fury
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97X Killer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12