Thread: Whoop-de-friggin'-doo!!!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.17 MB

Whoop-de-friggin'-doo!!!

Salute and Howdy All,

MY ANOMALIES ARE OVER!!!

Replaced my 560 ti Sli rig with a 770 and it looks like my anomalies are fixed. It's good to be rid of the silly procedures that I had to go through to get into and out of the game! I didn't gain anything by going to the 770 over the 560 ti sli, other than going to a single card system, the benchmarks for the 770 are almost exactly that of the Sli rig. Little disappointed in that but I have to weigh it against the anomalies and going to a single graphic card. I also put in a dedicated sound card and the game sounds are awesome!!

Gaidin

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Whoop-de-friggin'-doo!!!

Good to hear you're up and running. The sounds are pretty incredible aren't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Gaidin,

glad that you fixed your problem, though it was an expensive fix

What sound card do you use now?
    S!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    56.30 MB

Hi Gaidin,

may I ask you which sound source(card, onboard, type)you have used before the dedicated sound card and of which brand(manufacturer&type) your new dedicated sound card is?

It's cause I'm planning to buy one, too and a few "directions" would come in very handy...
    Thanks in advance!

S!
    ahab

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That new 980 is a heck of a deal. Benchmarks just about the same as the 780ti but at about $300 less money. ($590 in my area) Don't know why they are so much less except that the maxwell arq must be cheaper to produce versus the kepler?
    Corsair 600T-Gigabite Gigabyte Z77-UD5 mobo-I7 Ivy Bridge 3770k@3.5ghz-Scythe Ninja 3 -16g HyperX- EVGA GTX 670 FTW-HyperX SSD-Logitech G19-Cyborg Ratz 9-CH Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and throttle with MFG Crosswind pedals, BenQ 2420T monitor, Track IR-5, Obutto Rev3. http://9jg52.com/

Glückliche sieben

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Ziegler View Post
    That new 980 is a heck of a deal. Benchmarks just about the same as the 780ti but at about $300 less money. ($590 in my area) Don't know why they are so much less except that the maxwell arq must be cheaper to produce versus the kepler?
    Checked the price in Germany.... 549€.....

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Irregardless of the video benchmarks, you probably halved or more your GPU wattage. Good for your electric bill, good for the environment, and good for your overall system (less waste heat).

~S~

AKA Knutsac

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Top Bananas!
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.17 MB

Salute and Howdy all!

I've always preferred a dedicated sound card, but because of the SLI, didn't have room. I was using the on board sound with my "Sabertooth" board. It was ok, but nothing next to this card. I installed the Asus "Xonar db". I choose it because of the revues and a $10.00 rebate.

Gaidin

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Can a dedicated sound card reduce the sound induced stutters?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.17 MB

Howdy sKylon,

I've never had any "sound stutters" so can't really answer defenitively. But anything that removes cycles from the CPU has to help.

Gaidin

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

I would definitely be getting a GTX 970 these days, the cards are insane. The 980 is overpriced compared to the 970 and the R9 290, which are too seriously cost-efficient cards. The R9 290 is currently dethroned by the GTX 970 but I'm guessing AMD will lower the price soon enough. Either way, it's going to be tough to beat the GTX 970, which priced very nicely, is very quiet, dissipates little heat and performs very well. On top of that, frames are rendered efficiently with current Nvidia drivers. I would definitely say that Nvidia is doing very well with the GTX 970 and currently I would opt to get those cards. I would get a card from either ASUS, MSI or Gigabyte. ASUS and Gigabyte GTX 970s have backplates by the way, very nice. Stay away from EVGA GTX 970s though, they have problems with their cooler at the moment.

http://techreport.com/review/27067/n...rds-reviewed/8

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rder=BESTMATCH

^Very nice prices. Unfortunately France is currently a third world country so we have to pay hardware at a very expensive price these days. 20% VAT, a strong € and import costs and such (since Europe doesn't produce shit these days) make us pay hefty premiums.

http://www.amazon.fr/Sapphire-11227-...eywords=R9+290

http://www.amazon.fr/MSI-GTX970-grap...ywords=GTX+970

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

I've just read this thread - not only did I have to go window shopping for the GTX 970 but I'll be honest it never even crossed my mind to get a dedicated sound card for my computer ... I just checked and I have onboard stuff that comes with the asus p8p67. I wonder how much would i need to spend to hear a difference in quality....

Would something like this be too little, just right or too much?: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blaster-Perf...d+blaster+card

Also since I have USB headphones would that mean I'd need to get a reduction for a classic jack or just new headphones..? I'm totally lost when it comes to audio sorry for the hijack!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.17 MB

Salute and Howdy hnbdgr,

Looks like it's a fairly good card. I only had time to look at one review but the guy seemed to be pleased with it. http://www.custompcreview.com/review...eview/16668/2/

You would have to get an analog connection as the USB headphones wouldn't be compatible.

Gaidin
    Last edited by JG27-Gaidin; Sep-22-2014 at 19:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

hnbdgr...I am sure your selection sound card wise would do nicely, but you absolutely need to plug into the analogue connections of that card with a quality headset to hear the advantage. USB typically bypasses the sound card (using the usb audio layer if memory serves) and you lose the advantage of the DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) and the clarity that the sound card provides.

I have an ASUS Essence STX (also a Creative Labs Titanium HD in my backup machine) paired with a modest Sennheiser PC GAME 360 Headset and I could never understand the posts regarding sound complaints...until I had to send the Sennheiser`s in for repair and use a 30 dollar set. Terrible sound by comparison that`s for sure (I might add that audio tends to be very subjective to one`s own perception).

So...decent sound card with a good headset and you will hear the difference compared to any mainstream onboard sound solution.
    Last edited by Dice; Sep-22-2014 at 20:11.
    All your contrail are belong to us...unless your in a IIa, then not so much

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Thank you Gaidin and Dice, I'll put it on my christmas list along with the 970 it seems