Thread: WooHoo!!! New guy alert!!!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

WooHoo!!! New guy alert!!!

Greetings to all! My name is Gabe and I am a new guy on deck. I hail from the US, more specifically the Commonwealth of Virginia. I used to play MS Combat Flight Simulator back in the day. I also owned Falcon 4.0 when it first came out but it was too much for my PC not to mention my brain. Anyway, I have recently tried my hand at World of Warplanes and then WarThunder but I am looking for something more and I think I have found it here with IL2 CloD! I have spent the last 3 weeks watching youtube videos of missions, battles and instruction. Being thoroughly impressed I got my game disk a couple days ago and started my loading process yesterday. Watching the install video and reading various chats, everything was going smoothly until I went to install the 4.0 mod. It seems that when I run 7zip to extract 4.0, the installer file immediately disappears. I am left with two files...Mod-v40.zip and TF-Patch-4.0.rar. All the others extracted fine and I was able to install and play the first two as per instruction. Maybe I should start a new thread about this specifically, seeking assistance? I am not the most computer savvy person out there.
    Regardless, happy to be here and hope to get into action soon. Thank you!
    Cheers!
    Gabe-

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: WooHoo!!! New guy alert!!!

Ok...a new day and much less wine in the system has yielded some positive results for once. The antivirus was quarantining the 4.0 exe. Issue resolved and downloading has resumed. On to 4.3!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    81.6 KB

S!

Be welcome!

Conheça a Luftwaffe Brasil!

http://www.thorin.com.br/forumlbr/index.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Good luck with install and welcome

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Welcome Gabe

I hope you enjoy the game
    John Lydgate: “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the community and forums ARCTroop762....~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the greetings everyone! Install successfully completed! Thank you for the support Lew! I have spent a good amount of time there already and definitely more in the future. I have read quite a bit in the forums also and I love all the videos that are out there. There are definitely some amazing resources everyone has assembled. Spent some time today trying to get the joystick buttons set up. Still don't have my TrackIR or pedals yet but they should be here early next week.

Thanks again!
    Gabe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thats good news...and wow...getting used to pedals and trackIR will be some task....I don't reccomend pedals (either way) altho some of our vets do....the jury is still out on that one as to wether it is better or not I talk to vets using twist and some using pedals and all with good results...so its upto you on that one...Obviously pedal would be more in keeping with reality...

Getting used to the pedals and TrackIR and CLOD is going to be tricky...a bit like learning to juggle fire sticks I guess...but get online asap...the server is fun and theres lots of helpfull folks on there too that can give instant advice on TS..You will learn a whole lot quicker on TS and the online server....There are always airstrips a long way from the front line that you can learn on ,get one up and then get good alt from when you start hunting...which you will want to do suprisingly quickly as soon as you get airbourne...hehe...

Good Luck and most of all have fun..thats what we are here for...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Welcome GABE you will find this to be the most promising simulation you have ever dealt with in my humble opinion and the people in here both allied and axis to be top notch in there help and enthusiasm for this community.
    That being said you are in for a sharp curve as stated by the above posts but the reward is tremendous and the level of realism is unsurpassed and constantly being improved thanks to TEAM FUSION. Keep in mind that learning to fly your ship and navigate should come IMHO again as a necessity prior to air combat. As you learn to command your ship with the new pedals and your tracker look and learn the map features and probably the best place to practice would be in the lead farm server there the enemy wont attack you (unless it is a German practicing and they practice there also) and you may learn to fly, navigate and practice gunnery to become a lethal killing machine as you desire. Once you come to Atag you will have to practice Situational Awareness as your primary means of survival and the awareness of those around you.Make sure to use good communication skills and have fun for this SIM is amazing and fun.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks again to everyone for your help and direction! I'm definitely going to take my time and try to do it right. I have all my gear in now so hopefully I can get it set up and working in the next couple of days. I have a lot of links to different resources saved and a handful of checklists printed off. I have at least enough information to get myself into trouble which is just right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Good Luck and welcome

As has been said its a steep curve and the ATAG server can be a brutal environment for new players, but Id recommend jumping in with both feet, leave the ego behind and most importantly IMO get on the ATAG teamspeak - there you will find plenty of help and assistance and people to wing up with along with helpful intel on where enemy AC are. You will learn more quickly that way - albeit painfully at times

See you up there .....

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry I missed your earlier response Lewis....I do not doubt going at it from the start with pedals and the TrackIR would be a significant challenge. This is no plug and play deal in any way. I messed with both today but will take your advice and just go with the joystick for now, build some understanding and then add the goodies later. I struggled through the day with my control setups. Seems like they keep changing every time I get into the game. Probably me juggling too many flaming sticks at once. I will hit it again tomorrow and see what the day produces.

Dave....thank you for the greeting and advice. Unfortunately pain generally seems associated with most of my learning experiences. I really hope I can get on board soon and start learning from all you vets!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quick update for anyone interested...spent Monday getting controls lined up. I was going out on the Single Player/Quick Mission to practice and that does not seem like a great method. Finally got my courage up late in the day and went out on the server. Just sat in the field messing around with the start up process but didn't move the plane. Went to the server again yesterday and actually tried taking off...about 5 times before I actually got in the air. Putted around until I blew my engine up....doing just what everyone says not to do. I tried the pedals out just for fun and those are a tough! Unplugged them quick. I was able to get airborne once more after a number of crashes. Went out again today and got up in the air with much more success. I am still fiddling with control set up but had a good cruise until the server timed out. Went out again later in the day and got more bold. Went cruising up the coast line. Saw a speck that turned out to be a Blenheim. I gave chase and it led me down to the deck and through the trees until a Spitfire smacked me down from behind. To say I was target fixated would be an understatement. Anyway...should be getting a headset in the coming days and with that I may just venture out onto Team Speak!

Thanks again to everyone for the help as well as all the great videos and documentation!
    Gabe-

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My advice would be use the pedals. Yes you will suck for 1-2 evenings. But learning using twist and then go and relearn it all with pedals is just a waste of time.

Don't be afraid too learn online. Your not breaking the game or the server.
    But as you said. Get headset ASAP.
    Cheers N8 and Master Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Otyg would win the most impact on me prize, he's a winner in my book.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Otyg View Post
    My advice would be use the pedals. Yes you will suck for 1-2 evenings. But learning using twist and then go and relearn it all with pedals is just a waste of time.

Don't be afraid too learn online. Your not breaking the game or the server.
    But as you said. Get headset ASAP.
    As painful as it is for me to say it - Otyg is right about the above

Keep at it Gabe, get on TS - you will learn faster there than any other method IMO - enjoy it all

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

As painful as it is for me to say it - Otyg is right about the above

Keep at it Gabe, get on TS - you will learn faster there than any other method IMO - enjoy it all
    Oh my.. well.. im.. im not sure what to say.... This is a historical moment.. i rate this recognition high! its up there with:

Time to party!
    Cheers N8 and Master Lewis

Otyg would win the most impact on me prize, he's a winner in my book.