Thread: First Mod install 3.0 loses controls settings

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

First Mod install 3.0 loses controls settings

Hi,
    My first MOD patch 3.0 loses my control settings ! That doesnt happen in the video and I did the same, including ignoring the copy ini to my docs CoD MOD folder as per video !

So advice on how to avoid this can be added to beginners guide, here is the exact work path !

Having on 8 Dec installed Steam then CloD to not C drive but D drive, as can be done, following carefully advice in that thread, I ran the sim and set up my joystick, throttle (HOTAS system) and pedals. Flew a few aircraft. All ok though it froze up after a few screen shots with F12 (printscreen button setting for thisnot of use in controls).
    I hope the MODs fix this, clearly its unstable out of box from steam. (have the latest vid card Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 )...perhaps its drivers werent tested for Steam CoD ?

I then copied out the Il2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover folder from that steam folder install directly onto D drive as per the thread on this. renamed it with suffix _mod3.01 , created a desktop shortcut to the launcher.exe for that folder and again flew the sim, controls were already good to go, so it had looked somewhere else on my PC for my user settings. (it will by the way look to the steam storage of these on the internet, if one ever deletes the ini file, in previous tests I had to rip steam off PC and start over again to get at default settings).

So far so good then, apart from the freeze ups. ( it was freezing up before the reinstall of steam by the way should anyone blame that )

A week or so later 20 Dec I am ready to install the mods.
    Disable Virus checker. then start>run mod 3.0 it installs and says:-

Finished Installing
    Remember to copy your settings (ini files)
    to the new "il-2 sturmovick cliffs of dover - MOD" folder
    in "my documents"

I see no mention of what to do in the install forum thread for this. Note I have my installs to D drive, not C.

I have then watched the install video (turn on anti virus first !) again and it also pops up a prompt that says the same thing about ini file, the narrator doesnt even make comment (should have said something I feel) , ignores it and flies the sim with controls working :-

I fly the sim, as is required, launching Track IR5 then steam, see the MOD text over the aircraft icon as per video, but I have no controls, look in controls and they are joystick 2, mine were joystick 1.

Ok, that ini file must be responsible, so go to the ini file in the folder I installed the mod to, it has three ini files, ConfUser.ini 10 Kb 8 dec conf.ini 3kb 8 dec and confs.ini 1kb 8 dec

I opt to copy just the ConfUser.ini ( as nothing I have read says anything about which one but ConfUser sounds promising) and try to locate the folder il-2 sturmovick cliffs of dover - MOD in the "My Documents" folder on C drive.

I see no folder of that name at all.

I search on *mod* created today and see a folder, address C:\Users\MyName\MyDocuments\ yet still cant see it browsing to My Documents !
    Then I see that win7 says it is 1c softclub but doesnt add that folder to the address its showing (stupid win7 at it again)
    in My docs is 1c softclub, open that and NOW I SEE IT.
    so paste ConfigUser.ini to the folder go yes to warning overwrite 20 dec with 8 dec.

run the sim and STILL NO CONTROLS, STILL THEY ARE AILERON JOYSTICK 2

I have followed the method meticulously, read everything three times, know it like the back of my hand.

whats going on ? also why no mention of the ini file thing we have to do ? and should it be ConfUser or all three of the ini files we see ?

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: First Mod install 3.0 loses controls settings

If you have configured controls before install the MOD Patch, they files that store this changes are in:

...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\

The MOD Patch dont touch then, you need Config.ini, ConfUser.ini and User.ini

Copy then to new folder created by MOD Patchs install:

...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\

And make sure that Windows UAC are not prevent to paste .ini files in that folder.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    If you have configured controls before install the MOD Patch, they files that store this changes are in:

...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\

The MOD Patch dont touch then, you need Config.ini, ConfUser.ini and User.ini

Copy then to new folder created by MOD Patchs install:

...\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD\

And make sure that Windows UAC are not prevent to paste .ini files in that folder.
    Hi, thanks
    I had to re-configure my controls not knowing which ini files I needed and where they were, I then did a search and as you say, they reside then NOT in the folder the sim I am running sits in, but over at C drive in My Documents\1C Softclub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD

I feel this needs adding to the Beginners guide as I wont be the only one to not know what to do when the ini window saying to transfer ini files across after mod3.0 installs appears on screen. It needs adding to the video as well.

Windows UAC is off, learnt that one early on in win7 build and thanks for that as some users wouldnt be aware of Msoft doing that.

I then have started installing MODs to my second instance of CoD for Modding up to 4.0 to compare the changes to mod 3.1 and it takes on the controls I had, so it is also looking into the same address as my CoD 3 install, that at C:\My Documents\1C Softclub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD

Of course that means I cannot have different controls set up for the two different mod's as they both use that folder at C drive.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

...they reside then NOT in the folder the sim I am running sits in,
    In the game folder, inside STEAM folder or custom folder are other copy of Config.ini, ConfUser.ini, User.ini - these are the "default" created by game install, if for whatever reason the player delete ones in Documents\1c Soft...dover\ or dover -MOD\ the game engine copy these "default" (that have a conflict with mouse buttons for Camera and for Turret gun firing - related as 'bug" but is not) for Documents\1c Soft... the typical "my controls are lost".

Same with STEAM Cloud, when the game are installed the CLOUD copy these "default" and eventually copy then for Documents\1c Soft... and "my controls are lost".

Yes, is confuse, but "It's CloD".

Sokol1