Thread: Fatal mistake

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Fatal mistake

Hello. I need help to solve something that I did wrong yesterday. I know what was wrong but how to do it right is what I am not so sure..

Flying a Bf109 E1 and After slashing a spitfire and avoiding a turning fight I was about to get out of the furball. Then I see this spitfire coming fast and turning hard to get on my six. I decided to diving to get speed and run away from this danger.
    My prop pitch was at 10:10 and my speed got to 600 Kms at full throtle but I didn't notice that my rpm were getting very high at 30 and then my plane stated shaking and the engine seized and oil leaked ... And the bandit was still on my tail spitting fire at me until I bailed out.

How could I have done it without damaging my motor and fast enough to get away from my chasers?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by spartan18a; Jan-21-2015 at 07:10.

Hood

Re: Fatal mistake

At 600km/h (assuming this is TAS) at 10:10 my guess is you were pushing the boundaries of engine management. Either that or because you'll have descended quickly and you were at full throttle maybe the ATA climbed too high. At 600km/h I'm usually at 9:30 and I gradually increase pitch (and close radiator) as speed drops on the level. At the same time I'm watching ATA and essentially am juggling everything like mad. In the E1 I can get to around 2700 - 2800rpm but if I don't dial it back within seconds the engine blows. I've maybe got to 3000 a couple of times without damage except to my underpants.

[For what it's worth, the E1 is the most satisfying 109 to play with because you've got that lovely layer of engine management complexity and a kill has to be earned.]

Hood
    Last edited by Hood; Jan-21-2015 at 08:06.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    89.17 MB

Salute Spartan!

I have started flying the E-1 exclusively and think it's more than capable if flown correctly. In the situation you discribed I would immediatly get on the prop pitch and drop it at the same time I pitched over. Get the prop to at least 9:00, then close the water rad to about 75% (learn the crank position or check indicator on wing root). Once the rad is closed to 75%, get back on prop pitch and stabilize it at 2400 rpms. A word of caution on your dive out; don't dive at 90 degrees if you can avoid it. A smart red pilot will follow at about 45 degrees and catch you as you straighten your flight out and loose speed. Keep as close to a 45 to heighten speed and separation.

Gaidin

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wow. Thank you both for the excellent advice. I'll test it soon, no doubt

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

I would recommend for all new 109 pilots, (and all new Hurricane and Spitfire pilots too) that you take off from a back field, climb to altitude, and basically 'wring your plane out'... test it and your flying skills thoroughly. That would include practicing maximum speed evasive dives from level flight. In the case of a Spit or Hurricane, practicing a maximum rate level alt evasive turn is a crucial one for flyers of these aircraft.

For the 109's reducing prop pitch and modulating your throttle input during a dive is crucial. But maximum acceleration during the initial dive is also important... so you need to find the balance between reducing prop pitch/throttle and building speed in the dive as fast as possible.

Don't forget also, you have a maximum speed which you cannot exceed or your aircraft will begin to disintegrate. Plus as speed builds, your controls become less and less responsive. If your nose is pointed directly down in a 90 degree dive at 700 kmh in a 109, you are not going to recover.

You should be completely familiar with the aircraft of your choice, and know exactly what you are going to do in a given circumstance before you start looking for a fight online.

Offline is a good place to start this and avoid too many unnecessary death stats ... although with packet loss and other factors, Online is a little different, so practice there is also important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Very good point! Thanks