Thread: Why you need right rudder on takeoff

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Why you need right rudder on takeoff

Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Re: Why you need right rudder on takeoff

Fantastic find...!...Thanks for sharing...Now I need a drink..my brain hurts!!
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

3. Likes Vadr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Super explanation, emphasizing tricycle landing gear airplanes! P-factor is nearly absent in these prior to rotation. While it touches on tail draggers, it's easy to miss in a quick read.

For new players (certainly not Vadr or Lewis)

Remember that the P-Factor varies somewhat in tail draggers such as our RAF fighters. When you start rolling, the high pitch attitude will result in an increased left yaw tendency. Combined with the high torque of these big engines, the overall left turn bias can be a handful. As the tail rises, this diminishes for a second or two as the right prop loses thrust, but then kicks back in as you rotate the nose up for takeoff.

If you try to think about it too much, you may induce what's called "Pilot Induced Oscillations (PIO's) because you end up making corrections that get behind, or out of synch, with the airplane. This is what's going on when the plane swings wildly left and right during the initial slow speed portion of the takeoff roll. Should this occur, immediately abort the takeoff to prevent wingtip damage. It's much better to quit now and try again later.

To prevent rudder induced PIO's, I teach new pilots to "Pick a spot" that is, an object in the gunsight glass, like a small cloud or distant smoke, etc., and work exclusively on keeping it in one place as you accelerate to tail rise speed. Make no control stick inputs and as you approach that speed, you should be able to include more peripheral view and finally, fly the plane off the ground with normal stick and right rudder applied.

There are lots of differing techniques about throttle speed advance, but in the extreme, you should be able to rev the engine to full throttle with the brakes set [Chocks IN in our game] and make a good takeoff by removing the chocks with a keypress. Just make sure to apply 3/4 right rudder before brakes release [Chocks OUT]. This is a good technique to master in case you must make an emergency takeoff with limited runway available. It's rarely used, but fun to practice.

Normal takeoff throttle advance is pure pilot preference with valid arguments to be made for both slowly and rapidly applying throttle but keeping the spot in the gunsight will make things much easier.
    Last edited by Baffin; Jan-30-2015 at 12:59.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

5. Likes ATAG_Septic, ATAG_Dave, Vadr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great follow-up Fidget
    Vadr

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vadr View Post
    Great follow-up Fidget
    Don't mention it, Spock-O. I always like a "piece of the action".
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

8. Likes Vadr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In our country the Damn Yankee fly's. .its a p51d. Mustang. . I read a interview with the pilot. He said on take of you hafe to be in the good rpm becauce if you trotle up to fast the plane just flips over !!! Also a p51 can not make a roll at low alt. . When the tanks are full... a new pilot did and he died... the others who goth to fly the new p51'S. Were flying straid for hours..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In my younger days I did some aircraft ferry work. Once I got to fly a Pitts. The damn thing kept turning left and running off the runway when I tried to take off. Took me 3 tries.
    Vadr

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks. Good information.

A few years ago, I got my tailwheel endorsement in a Citabria - and then did some very basic aerobatic maneuvers as part of upset training. (Spins and barrel rolls made me nauseous, but I handled snap rolls fine.)

Even in the Citabria with a small (160 hp iirc) engine, you had to stay on top of it. A steep climb required a heavy right foot.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, MS FFB2