Thread: Which Wellington are we Getting?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Which Wellington are we Getting?

Thoroughly enjoying the current patch, and seriously looking forward to the Wellington in the next release. Can anyone tell me which variant it's based on? Ic, II, III? I've which engine plant - Pegasus XVIII, Merlin X or Bristol Hercules? Or will it be a later model? Just wondering mainly what flight characteristics to expect, which will dictate bombing altitudes, climb rates etc.

Cheers!

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Re: Which Wellington are we Getting?

The 1C is in the game at the moment as an AI aircraft I believe. I suppose it is likely to be that version but don't know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The Wellington in the game is called a IC, but in fact is a IA with the ventral turret removed. Early IA's had this turret, but it imposed too much of a speed penalty as a result of the turrets drag and it wasn't particularly effective.

A real IC would have two waist gunners as well as the nose and tail turrets.

For TF 5.0, we are planning on making the existing IA flyable... as well we would like, (no guarantee) to build the next evolution of the aircraft, which of course would be the IC with the waist gunners. Hopefully as well, we can also build this IC with the later model bombsight. The IA will have the same bombsight as the Blenheim as it historically did.

Both the IA and IC had Bristol Pegusus XVIII engines.

The next model which saw large scale service after the IA and IC was the Wellington III, which is equipped with more powerful Bristol Hercules engines, plus it had a 4 gun rear turret. It is unlikely we will see this for TF 5.0.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the replies. I don't suppose anyone knows the major differences between the MkIII and earlier Marks when it comes to flying procedures? I'd like to get a hold of the pilot's notes, in preparation, but those for the MkI and MkII seems as rare as rocking horse proverbial. If the differences weren't great then I'd muddle through

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I don't suppose anyone knows the major differences between the MkIII and earlier Marks when it comes to flying procedures? I'd like to get a hold of the pilot's notes, in preparation, but those for the MkI and MkII seems as rare as rocking horse proverbial. If the differences weren't great then I'd muddle through
    Hehe,I can see you've got the Wellington bug too Bunny,I caught it as soon as TF announced the plan to create it and haven't been the same since.

BTW TF,it would be really something if you guys could give us an update on the mighty 'Wimpy's' WIP,I think we're all looking forward to this new addition to Cliffs.Those last shots of the cockpit being created looked superb......Please Sir,I want some more?

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

6. Likes Black034 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    712.59 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Plt Off JRB Meaker View Post

......Please Sir,I want some more?
    MOOOOORE????!!!!!!!!

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2673&dateline=1390351127

Principle skinner

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Looking forward to it.

I have primarily flown the German bombers and 110 and the Betty(il-2) in Il-2 and CloD, but I see that there seems to be a lack of Red Bombers in MP, so I plan on jumping over to Blenheim's soon to get ready for the Wellington.
    Is the later model bomb sight that "might" be modeled for the IC the Mark XIV bomb sight?

That Wellington bomb load is looking very appealing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stigler View Post
    Is the later model bomb sight that "might" be modeled for the IC the Mark XIV bomb sight?
    Yes.

The RAF had Sperry license build it as the Sperry T-1. This bombsight was interchangeable with the Mk XIV.

The Mk XIV was designed to bomb from a lower altitude than the Norden bombsight... maximum altitude was 20,000 ft. Bombing at any higher altitude at night led to inaccurate bombing results.

However, as the war went on and the Luftwaffe became progressively weaker, the RAF began to bomb occasionally in daylight. So a re-designed model was introduced in December of 1944, the Mk XIVA, which had the potential to bomb from 30,000 ft and allowed daylight raids from that altitude, which was a much safer altitude, flak was becoming very accurate in daylight.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; May-17-2015 at 15:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

I just want a Lancaster, and for No. 460 SQN RAAF to be added to the game

Not gonna happen, is it?
    Author of the Their Finest Hour, Their Greatest Challenge, Desert Hawks, Eagles over Tobruk, On Ne Passe Pas!, and Rising from the Ashes campaigns for Cliffs of Dover Blitz and Desert Wings - Tobruk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
    I just want a Lancaster, and for No. 460 SQN RAAF to be added to the game

Not gonna happen, is it?
    Not for TF 5.0 that's for sure.

After that... who knows? It all depends on the number of talented and hard working people we have join us.

12. Likes Cybermat47 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Which Wellington are we getting?

There's a big argument at the moment over left or right foot!

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Torpedo Wellingtons saw a lot of action taking out shipping that was trying to supply Rommel in North Africa, so I hope we can get to drop those torps )

Happy landings,

Talisman