Thread: Defiants?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Defiants?

Hi,
    Is there a chance we might be getting the Defiant? (Not that I'm not enjoying whats already in the game) Love the airplane.

2. Likes Infinity liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Defiants?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue-lph View Post
    Hi,
    Is there a chance we might be getting the Defiant? (Not that I'm not enjoying whats already in the game) Love the airplane.
    It takes an enormous amount of effort to build a cockpit for CLIFFS OF DOVER.

So for an aircraft like the Defiant, which would not be popular, there is a real question as to whether it would be worth our while when we could be building other aircraft which would be much more popular.

I have added a test bed cockpit for the Defiant (adapted from the Hurricane's cockpit), and flown the aircraft in various combat situations and I can say while there is some novelty, the aircraft is very uncompetitive, even against bombers. It is very difficult to position it so the rear gunner can get a decent shot, and because of its slower speed and inferior maneuverability, (compared to Hurricanes and Spitfires) it has a tough time catching up with bombers which have a head start... and crawling up the bombers six o'clock without any forward guns is not a good idea. Against 109's the situation is dire... the Defiant cannot outturn the 109's, and while the rear gunner is effective against 109's coming up from six o'clock, slashing attacks are very tough to deal with... and with the cannons hitting, things get bad... plus head on attacks are freebies for the 109's.

So the chances of seeing a flyable Defiant are not high.

Of course, if someone wants to volunteer to build the cockpit, we'd take that into consideration... although again, there is a TON of other work which has higher priority.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Feb-07-2015 at 16:19.

4. Likes ATAG_Lewis, ATAG_Lolsav, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    51.47 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    It takes an enormous amount of effort to build a cockpit for CLIFFS OF DOVER.

So for an aircraft like the Defiant, which would not be popular, there is a real question as to whether it would be worth our while when we could be building other aircraft which would be much more popular.

I have added a test bed cockpit for the Defiant (adapted from the Hurricane's cockpit), and flown the aircraft in various combat situations and I can say while there is some novelty, the aircraft is very uncompetitive, even against bombers. It is very difficult to position it so the rear gunner can get a decent shot, and because of its slower speed and inferior maneuverability, (compared to Hurricanes and Spitfires) it has a tough time catching up with bombers which have a head start... and crawling up the bombers six o'clock without any forward guns is not a good idea. Against 109's the situation is dire... the Defiant cannot outturn the 109's, and while the rear gunner is effective against 109's coming up from six o'clock, slashing attacks are very tough to deal with... and with the cannons hitting, things get bad... plus head on attacks are freebies for the 109's.

So the chances of seeing a flyable Defiant are not high.

Of course, if someone wants to volunteer to build the cockpit, we'd take that into consideration... although again, there is a TON of other work which has higher priority.
    Thanks for sharing some info with the fans.

My I ask if you have any info about FW-200 Condor or the Short S.25 Sunderland because this is what I dream about, mighty 4 engine bombers.

Doing maritime patrols with these beasts and maybe sink some ships / surfaced submarines would be the best thing I could ever imagine.

Thanks for what you're doing !

Can't wait for next update (are we close from it ?)

6. Likes SorcererDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'd be interested in hearing that too, the Sunderland is a favourite of mine, ever since I saw one of those behemoths in the flesh at Duxford as a child.

8. Likes Black034 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Buzzsaw for the info. I forgot how hard you guys have had to work to make this a great game. I'm no code writer.

And recently doing research about the Defiant, I came to realize that yes, it was not a good aircraft for its time. Losses were high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hauggy View Post
    Thanks for sharing some info with the fans.

My I ask if you have any info about FW-200 Condor or the Short S.25 Sunderland because this is what I dream about, mighty 4 engine bombers.

Doing maritime patrols with these beasts and maybe sink some ships / surfaced submarines would be the best thing I could ever imagine.

Thanks for what you're doing !

Can't wait for next update (are we close from it ?)
    We would love to produce these aircraft but it won't happen for TF 5.0.

HUGE amount of work required.

Next update is likely a while away.

11. Likes hauggy liked this post
    Veteran Combat pilot 5./JG26_Peete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

The Dutch flew defiants at first. The pilots who made it to england and new dutch pilots from raf.. flew them mostly sea patrol. ! Hero's .. these dutchys. .. o i am Dutch to..

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 5./JG26_Peete View Post
    The Dutch flew defiants at first. The pilots who made it to england and new dutch pilots from raf.. flew them mostly sea patrol. ! Hero's .. these dutchys. .. o i am Dutch to..
    Where did you get that information from Peete?,264 Squadron were the first Squadron to fly Defiants in combat after they were formed in October 1939,and 264 Squadron were definately British my old friend,they went on in to distinguish themselves too over Dunkirk.
    Last edited by Meaks; Feb-10-2015 at 04:36.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Veteran Combat pilot 5./JG26_Peete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sorry they were Anson's and Hudsons.. almost same stupid planes.. Dutch were in begin of the war in 320 squadron. It was in my mind only goth the plane wrong.. in 1940. 8 fokker TV bombers left to England to sirve in the raf coastal comand. Somewere in Schotland. uploadfromtaptalk1423565862723.jpg