Thread: Cities in Motion - Transport simulation

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Cities in Motion - Transport simulation

This forum section says for other flight sims, but I didn't know where else to post it.

I'm on holidays for a while and thus am away from CloD and any other flight sims as the only computer available is a five year old MacBook, so I found out that one of my old favourite games, Cities in Motion, works on Mac so I DLed it and started playing. (Albeit on min graphics - this laptop is awful!)

Cities in Motion is a transport management simulator made by Colossal Order and published by Paradox, both excellent companies. The game revolves around building a way for citizens of your city to get around using buses, trams, and metros (there are also ferries and even helicopters but these don't get used much and only ferries can sometimes be useful - helicopters are awful.) You might think that a whole game that is only about transport, where you don't even build/manage the rest of the city could be bad or not have enough gameplay, but believe me, this game will keep you occupied for as long as you want and more. The game includes about eight to ten maps to play, as well as scenarios with sort of "missions" for your system to accomplish, and plenty more community made maps that are really excellent! The cites are European type with standard Euro architecture and feel, and the game really "feels" good to play. It's just got this kind of personality that you don't really see in other games, and is the main reason I play CiM 1, not the sequel. The cities grow with time and they are each unique with their own challenges to overcome with your networks. The one thing that will happen with every network is crowds. First your buses get crowded so you build trams, then they get crowded so you build a metro, then the metro gets crowded so you add more trains and build more, and then you realise you're just six months in to the map . . . However all these problems have fixes and having a really reliable and profitable transport network with lots of lines is really rewarding. I built a network on the Munich map that had over ten metros, three trams, and to many buses to count . . . and the money just kept rolling in! That was fun (until a reinstall of Windows lost the save :( . . .)

I highly recommend this game if anyone wants a change of game style from what they're used to. Pick up a few of the DLCs while you're at it, they're only a few bucks and really add to the game. London and Paris are good ones, Tokyo, USA, and others are available. Get CiM 1 instead of the sequel because CiM 2 may be more advanced and has some really good aspects, it has no personality and there are some gameplay aspects that are almost game-breaking. However, Colossal Order and Paradox are about to release a new game called Cites: Skylines, this time a full fledged city builder (think SimCity or CitiesXL) and it looks like the best city builder yet!

Here are some videos:

CiM Gameplay (Not mine)

Cities: Skylines alpha gameplay (also not mine)

CiM: http://store.steampowered.com/app/73010/
    Cities: Skylines: http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

Flare

2. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

Re: Cities in Motion - Transport simulation

Hey Flare! I've been playing transport games for 20 years, going back to Transport tycoon. For some inexplicable reason I never played Cities in Motion, but I do have Cities Skylines from Steam. It's my very first 'city builder sim'. `Here's some screenies to show what I've been able to do. Graphics are sorta awesome IMO. This is like having the world's greatest model train set.

These 9 are with NO mods, but with custom objects, map, and vehicles from the Steam Workshop.

Last edited by baronWastelan; Feb-05-2016 at 23:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

These are all with mods, some which change the lighting and colors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

I do also have skylines! However I only have about 10-15 hours, one city with about 25k pop. It's still pretty fun!

Where did you get those train mods? They're very nice!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    528.14 MB

This game is awful!
    Usual scenario:
    tic... 10PM - yet another street and area, it is not late...
    toc... 11PM - yet another street and area, it is not that late yet...
    tic... 0AM - yup... almost done, just a street here and finish
    toc... 1:30AM - sh#t!!! clock will ring in 6am

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

@b0czek: so true!!!
    Last edited by baronWastelan; Feb-07-2016 at 21:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    85.88 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Flare View Post
    I do also have skylines! However I only have about 10-15 hours, one city with about 25k pop. It's still pretty fun!

Where did you get those train mods? They're very nice!
    All assets and mods from the Steam App Vehicle Workshop

I only have to click on what i want and steam downloads and installs everything so all I need to do is start the game and they're all there. I've spent a couple hours just in the workshop browsing.

Do yourself a favor and get the Enhanced Cemetery and improved Landfill site: they will make your life so much easier.
    Last edited by baronWastelan; Feb-07-2016 at 21:38.