Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Ruft (East) - V2

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

London Ruft (East) - V2

G'day everyone.

Ok, so there's no prizes for guessing which mission is the ugly duckling amongst the current missions on the ATAG server. I know for a fact there are people who like it a lot but its also apparent that an increasing number of people are voting with their feet and are no longer playing it, and this isnt the outcome i was hoping for when i set out to make this map last year. Luckily some of these people have taken the time to let me know what their issues are - thank you to those that have done so.

In the past week or so Freya and I have been reworking the map in an attempt to hopefully make it more palatable to those players who dont like it. We are hoping that this might make some people reconsider not playing it while at the same time not alienating those players who like it the way it is. Here's a summary of the changes fyi

(a) Removed Canterbury and Gatwick. Excessive vulching was identified as a negative re the map with Canterbury the main cause it seems. Sorry to those players who liked to man the AAA/flak at Canterbury but there are still several airfields that should still provide opportunities to shoot stuff down.

(b) Removed all the blue airfields in the western sector except Theville in France and many of the western red fields as well. Another negative issue for many people was the large geographic area in this mission especially with a less than full server. Apart from Theville and OP most of the spawnable airfields are now in the South Eastern part of England (plus North Weald). Most of the AAA/Flak in the west remains intact though so watch out if you are flying in the west for either side.

(c) Removed all targets west of ~ Guilford except the railyards at Basingstoke. I wanted to keep 1 x long range tgt for Blue bomber pilots who might like to fly a long mission, either from the eastern bases or from Theville. This will hopefully keep a little bit of multi-axis threat activity happening for those that like it (maybe I'm the only one that does?)

(d) Relocated all the blue ships to the east. There are still 10 Blue ships carrying Panzers to be sunk by red but these are all now in the eastern sector heading for Folkstone. Bad weather the night before has spread them out a bit so they arent all in a nice fat convoy. Red corvettes remain unchanged.

(e) Reduced the number of destroyable bomber bases to 2 per side. Gravensend and Willmington (Red fields – Blennies can still spawn in at the other fields but these are a long way in the rear) and Lympne and Littlestone (Blue – Blue bombers can still spawn in at OP and Theville)

(f) Enabled Hurricane Mk1 100 Octane pilots like Sourcerer Dave to be able to spawn in at Gravesend. Dave raised some good points in his blunt feedback (which I'm fine with - much better to get blunt feedback than none at all) on the forums and in a subsequent PM conversation we had and the map has been changed accordingly.

(g) Tank battle near Battle. Freya has set it up so players can spawn in as Blue or Red tanks near Battle and then battle. Sounds like fun.

(h) Reduced the number of stationary aircraft to less than a third of the current number on most of the fields. Although I havent heard back from Hardegen who was doing some testing for me I've also heard from other players re the FPS hit near some of the airfields and have reduced - but not totally eliminated - the number of stationary aircraft hoping this will lessen the FPS drop for some players.

(i) Some other minor tinkering etc.

Because of the changes we are anticipating there might be some fine tuning we might need to do when its road tested by a full server. In particular by reducing the number of spawnable fields the spawn points Freya created and tested will fill up more quickly and players may then end up in the default spawn points which are bugged in some cases. There's not a whole lot we can do about this but please let us know if it becomes a regular occurrence at certain bases.

Thats about it. Again I'd like to thank Freya for his excellent work helping me with the map as I couldnt have done any of this without his support. And Spiritus too for his support and for being a good sounding board for stuff. Thanks fellas.

Hopefully this update will go live sometime soon and we can see whether it is more playable as a result of these changes.

Ezzie

xvii-Hardegen

Re: London Ruft (East) - V2

(h) Reduced the number of stationary aircraft to less than a third of the current number on most of the fields. Although I havent heard back from Hardegen who was doing some testing for me I've also heard from other players re the FPS hit near some of the airfields and have reduced - but not totally eliminated - the number of stationary aircraft hoping this will lessen the FPS drop for some players.
    First of all thank you very much for all the work and efforts done to improve this map!Sorry if I have not replied earlier but I was out for work ( I'm on the train coming back right now ).
    I'll continue the tests starting from tomorrow then I'll report!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's great news, thanks a lot for keeping the good work going on that map!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Excellent work old bean. Looking forward to giving the new and improved mission a spin!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Ezzie / Freya - Thanks to both of you for putting in the effort. Where would we be without you map-making-magicians ?!

The existing version of the map has grown on me over time - but it really does need a very full server to work properly and we dont have that too often (which is a shame).

I Look forward to trying the new version out soon.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

You are more than generous mate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Can't wait to get back online. 3 more weeks!

Veteran Combat pilot 3./JG51_Heiden's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Was not a fan of this map due to the vulching but removing Canteburry will very much help make this map better. Also reducing the geographical size of the battlefield will concentrate the action better. These changes are looking great and I am looking forward to this map now.
    Oblt. Jochen Heiden
    3./Jagdgeschwader 51
    162 Confirmed Kills - "Ace In A Day" Club Member

HARDWARE:
    - i7 2600k @ 4.6GHz
    - 16gig DDR3-1600
    - Intel 128GB SSD
    - MSI GTX 660ti 2GB OC'd

Check out my Youtube Channel for great videos of aircraft destruction and Bf-109 training instruction!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCou...QRue1omZ-INlag

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

As someone who likes to spend half my time blowing stuff up and the other half pretending to be a fighter pilot, red and blue, I like this map. Great for strike missions with fighters providing cover. Keep up the good work Ezzie! Maybe a big red X over the channel marked 'dogfight zone' will satisfy the brawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Though the new version isn't in rotation yet, I found that bad spawns were still frequent with ~40 people on the server. I'm going to revert all bases to default spawns. This may lead to some players being in not so favourable parts, or ends, of the airfeilds, but at least not in the trampoline weeds. Hope you don't mind, Ezzie, I may have to move some statics around to allow this. Will send you the changes within 48hrs...

Edit: Did I say 48hrs. I meant 20 minutes. Changes are sent to Bliss, new version should be on the server in due time. When it is on, would appreciate feedback! thx
    Last edited by ATAG_Freya; Feb-28-2015 at 23:19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Dont mind at all Freya - thanks!

PM sent.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Freya View Post
    Though the new version isn't in rotation yet, I found that bad spawns were still frequent with ~40 people on the server. I'm going to revert all bases to default spawns. This may lead to some players being in not so favourable parts, or ends, of the airfeilds, but at least not in the trampoline weeds. Hope you don't mind, Ezzie, I may have to move some statics around to allow this. Will send you the changes within 48hrs...

Edit: Did I say 48hrs. I meant 20 minutes. Changes are sent to Bliss, new version should be on the server in due time. When it is on, would appreciate feedback! thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Mindle - appreciate the positive feedback. Hopefully the latest version will out soon and like Freya said, all feedback welcome as always.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Mindle View Post
    As someone who likes to spend half my time blowing stuff up and the other half pretending to be a fighter pilot, red and blue, I like this map. Great for strike missions with fighters providing cover. Keep up the good work Ezzie! Maybe a big red X over the channel marked 'dogfight zone' will satisfy the brawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Heiden.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by 3./JG51_Heiden View Post
    Was not a fan of this map due to the vulching but removing Canteburry will very much help make this map better. Also reducing the geographical size of the battlefield will concentrate the action better. These changes are looking great and I am looking forward to this map now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Dave - hopefully the updated version will be available soon.

Thanks re magician but that would be Freya and the script gurus in this case. I'm more like the assistant who warms the crowd up by telling bawdy jokes before the really clever stuff is done by the magicians.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Ezzie / Freya - Thanks to both of you for putting in the effort. Where would we be without you map-making-magicians ?!

The existing version of the map has grown on me over time - but it really does need a very full server to work properly and we dont have that too often (which is a shame).

I Look forward to trying the new version out soon.

15. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

OK - thanks Hardegen.

Quote Originally Posted by xvii-Hardegen View Post
    First of all thank you very much for all the work and efforts done to improve this map!Sorry if I have not replied earlier but I was out for work ( I'm on the train coming back right now ).
    I'll continue the tests starting from tomorrow then I'll report!

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post

(e) Reduced the number of destroyable bomber bases to 2 per side. Gravensend and Willmington (Red fields – Blennies can still spawn in at the other fields but these are a long way in the rear) and Lympne and Littlestone (Blue – Blue bombers can still spawn in at OP and Theville)..........
    Have you found out the reason why it was possible to land at Wilmington as Blue without any AA activity?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi ProArmis,

I did some tests offline using the same .mis file as used online and it all worked fine and I couldn't replicate it. I'll see if Freya can also take a look.

I'm assuming it happens all the time when you fly near Willmington?

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_ProArmis View Post
    Have you found out the reason why it was possible to land at Wilmington as Blue without any AA activity?

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.97 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    ......I`m assuming it happens all the time when you fly near Willmington?....
    But that would be strange.

I think we shoud check this out together by the time ...may be with you or a other one.
    I ll take a Ju88 then as pilot and the other one jumps into my reargunner or bomber seat..it doesn t matter.

I will stay tuned

Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Freya is taking a look at this issue. Thanks ProArmis and Bryandraves.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=16123

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Turns out that a typo on the flak crews weekend pass gave them a very long leave. We've rounded them up and placed them back on active duty, all passes cancelled. They may be a little hung-over, but they have returned to their stations and have ample ammunition to distribute.

22. Likes ♣_Spiritus_♣, ATAG_ProArmis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Do not ask me why it took me more than a month but this evening I flew your London Ruft (East) for the first time. Together with some squadron mates I had a great time destroying three targets with Bf 110s.

I really like the map with its "fresh" territory and its different targets. Already looking forward to flying it the next time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

I got a observation to make: After awhile the <obj<blue ceases to work. And its only on this map. I dont know if its related with the script itself (who could have limitations) or if its the game engine does not state the ammount of targets taken out after a certain number (was almost at the end). When we had 1 or 2 targets left the script didnt work anymore. (After last corvette sunk?).

Also Ezzie.. still too many stuff on the runways. Trying to take off with wind + being straffed + stuff in the middle of the runway or at the exit of the spawn is a receipe for death. Died 2 times in a row with a spawn point at Hawkinge where the plane appeared next to a AAA and inside a "cover".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks DUI - glad you had fun on the map.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by DUI View Post
    Do not ask me why it took me more than a month but this evening I flew your London Ruft (East) for the first time. Together with some squadron mates I had a great time destroying three targets with Bf 110s.

I really like the map with its "fresh" territory and its different targets. Already looking forward to flying it the next time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks for the feedback Lolsav.

I'll add both issues to the list of things to be looked at for the next update.

Re cover - is a cover one of those small buildings that the a/c sometimes spawn inside? Or do you mean a revetment?

Thanks Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    I got a observation to make: After awhile the <obj<blue ceases to work. And its only on this map. I dont know if its related with the script itself (who could have limitations) or if its the game engine does not state the ammount of targets taken out after a certain number (was almost at the end). When we had 1 or 2 targets left the script didnt work anymore. (After last corvette sunk?).

Also Ezzie.. still too many stuff on the runways. Trying to take off with wind + being straffed + stuff in the middle of the runway or at the exit of the spawn is a receipe for death. Died 2 times in a row with a spawn point at Hawkinge where the plane appeared next to a AAA and inside a "cover".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

revetmen

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

Thank you for the airfield navigational beacons at Lympne and Littlestone. Could they be changed to NDB as the airfield beacons seem to only have a range of 50 km. Also could we have NDBs at Oye Plage and Boulogne as they would be useful leaving and coming back to France.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nice to see you on the Forums Torric. I have not seen you in the skies lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Thanks Torric - we'll add it to the list of things to look at for the next update.

Ezzie

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Torric270 View Post
    Thank you for the airfield navigational beacons at Lympne and Littlestone. Could they be changed to NDB as the airfield beacons seem to only have a range of 50 km. Also could we have NDBs at Oye Plage and Boulogne as they would be useful leaving and coming back to France.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

NDBs added, thankyou Torric! Awaiting word from Ezzie on the rest of the changes. Update coming soon, look for v2.1. For NDB info see in-game briefing.

For NDB knowledge, look here: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=8840

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

PM sent Freya!

Thanks

Ezzie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast