Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone give me a idea what this game is like or compares to?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.50 MB

Re: Can anyone give me a idea what this game is like or compares to?

If I wasn't in a PE-2 or a IL2 I only flew the Lagg..a dumptruck but it was fun to fly it( I have mudflaps and a back up beeper!). To the OP. Its a middle of the road game, thats it..not very good for SP right now, MP is ok. Its not bad and if you can buy it for half of what I did... get it. Its fun in short burst. Someday it may get improved on by modders like 1946 did. But if you can get it cheap..its fun to fly in the snow every now and again.
    Logan AKA Blackwolf
    Head Tater peeler,
    20th Bomber Group

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Well, I finally went ahead and got the game at the recent reduced price.

I haven't done much with it yet, but there is going to be some things to change (keybindings, settings) and some other stuff I need to look into. Definitely different feeling than CLOD. Offhand, is the "motion blur" effect something that is stuck on? What about the 109 gunsight? Can you turn it off/on, and are you stuck looking right down the center of it the whole time?

The whole unlockable thing is kind of odd as well. I'm assuming you have to play the campaign or some kind of missions to progress through that. If there is some kind of guide/manual for BOS somewhere I would love to know about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Offhand, is the "motion blur" effect something that is stuck on? What about the 109 gunsight? Can you turn it off/on, and are you stuck looking right down the center of it the whole time?
    You can disable the "motion Blur" in Camera options.

The 109 gunsight - to avoid the "Joe Simmer" common complain about like in IL-2:46/Clod is always centered (WT) - I think became off center with use of TrackIR, but is easy record new fixed/snap views in BoS, similar to DCS due LUA language. No option for turn gunsight light on/off, is automatically turned be auto start engine procedure (E). But you can manually turn on/off cockpit and navigation lights.

If you purchased the Premium version you have a button in you account (on site) for unlock the "unlocks" for weapons and planes "mod" (useful for online play), but not for skins.

The "unlocks" are the only reason for play that BoS SP "campaign" - just a bunch of Quick Missions, some that dont make sense at all (e.g. level bomber at 3.000 meters over a artillery position... at night).

If you dont go play for unlocks - purchased the Premium version - and dont mind with skins (e.g. some for Mediterranean, for Hungary...) skip this and look at the mission maker sub forum, are some good SP missions packs, e.g. Veteran66, Coconuts, Jupp's... Go to official forum for download. *

As for manual, are one official for the game - installation, controls configuration, planes basic operation - and the excellent Chuck's plane guides, plus Requiem Video tutorial on Youtube, links on their forum.

* Be discreet on post there, if the "BoS Defense League" interpret the minor signal of criticism in your postings you will be slaughter.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-02-2015 at 20:50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post

* Be discreet on post there, if the "BoS Defense League" interpret the minor signal of criticism in your postings you will be slaughter.

Hee hee good reply but the is only wrong bit

Ask good question and get answer. Say OMG WTF unlocks and wtf damage model not as visual as clod, or ask why no clckable switches and you get answer but not polit. :>

Search BOS forum for answers to most questions you have. Other than that Sokol says it right and use user made missions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

Not long ago it was putting dynamite in fire saying BOS was a good game in this place. Like me lost most of my motivation on COD , BOS is a lifesaver. It is like he say atm I am able to fly about 4 hours a week BOS and one sortie a week in cod. I cannot do more than two sorties in a day and keep interest. And a sortie in BOS usually are much shorter than in COD.
    I probably sell my equipment if it had not been for BOS. I feel it slowly get better in every way, Still find the players more of a problem than the game itself. 80% do not bother to taxi to runway, fly 109 and Yak and handle it like counterstrike. But then you meet up with the kind of simmer you appreciate and forget about it.
    I have absolutely no problem recommending it, if the one I recommend it for, understand it is not what I call a complete game

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Well, BoS has gotten better over the past year. The flight dynamics have improved considerably. The damage model is a bit better. Fires spread, aileron rods can be damaged, along with different subsystems. I am not sure how armor penetration/angles work, but the damage seems diverse and dynamic enough to be immersive. Sometimes a string of MG fire will bring down a plane, other times you can empty your guns and watch them fly away in their Swiss cheese aircraft.

They also finally improved the Dedi server support to 64 players, so the game is actually playable online. It isn't as nice as a 100 player server that CloD or 1946 can give you, but It's a relatively reasonable number for online multiplayer.

Centering your view to a different point in the cockpit can be done with f10 key

And motion blur is turned off in Camera options not Graphics, I think they should remove the camera blur all together, I don't know who on the dev team was like: "You know what would make this look better, blurryness!" Maybe it was the guy in charge of making all of the low res cockpit textures. "They can't see how low res the cockpits are if they can't see the cockpit. Muwhaha!"

Hopefully you don't have to grind through the unlocks, it's a dumb feature, especially since you have to play the poorly done SP campaign to use features in MP. I guess it beats having to buy every gauge and compass in the store like RoF.

Despite all of my gripes, I think it is still a fun game, and worth the 50% off price. MP is enjoyable, and it is nice to fly a different theatre than BoB.
    Last edited by ATAG_NakedSquirrel; Sep-04-2015 at 00:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I flew on-line last night in the Wings of liberty server with 64 players , entered and air-battle down low with il-2 and Yaks attacking a art position i was in my trusted 190 , that stalls without any warning , my fps went from 49 to 23 as i entered the battle , things still not right and needs another big patch .The game is fun and not to be taken too seriously . As the servers are like quake wars with enemy aircraft attacking A/F. and not doing the missions objectives , your find a few that do the missions . And it can be quite enjoyable , but its not like cliffs .
    buy at half price .

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by II/JG77_Con View Post
    -snip-

And it can be quite enjoyable, but its not like cliffs.

-snip-
    It's not "like Cliffs" because so few of the players of this community have bit the bullet and picked it back up to play with one-another.

85% of the issues people have with MP would be resolved if people actually played the MP. As it currently stands, the same 100 players are playing MP... There is no diversity in the current playerbase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I bought premium a while back for half price. I wish I could say it was worth it, I am holding my breath for future improvement like many others, but, on the flip side I am happy to support the Dev Team by buying the game.

You can tell Oleg never had any part in making this game. To me BOS does not feel like IL-2 at all.

The FM's feel really bizarre to me and similar to War Thunder. Sadly to me War Thunder and BOS feel like the same game to me.

My problem may also be that I have always been a "full switch" guy and no one ever plays BOS on the expert servers. I always fly offline in expert but like everyone else says after a few sorties you are flying a repeat of the 3 or 4 different missions that are in the campaign mode.

I also find the winter map to be very boring, and fatiguing, after a few sorties my eyes are cooked. Like many have said above the game is OK in short doses.

Hopefully when they release the summer and fall version of the map it will improve things a bit.
    Last edited by II/JG77_RC; Sep-13-2015 at 15:36.

10. Likes Gromit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

...and no one ever plays BOS on the expert servers.
    But the most popular MP server - the Wings of Liberty is in EXPERT - "full switch" - mode, around 18/19:00 GMT is usually full (64 players).

Well, the 1CGS "full switch" has some difference from OM, like the always ON "GPS" for player plane and "50 KM AWACS" around airbases...

12. Likes 4./JG26_Adler liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

But the most popular MP server - the Wings of Liberty is in EXPERT - "full switch" - mode, around 18/19:00 GMT is usually full (64 players).

Well, the 1CGS "full switch" has some difference from OM, like the always ON "GPS" for player plane and "50 KM AWACS" around airbases...
    yes. only few play normal server so do not understand this

New Wings Wargrounds server has taken away the gps for plane. this is expert server. Base radar stays but i hope it goes.

For me I like the snow - is like original il2. I look forwrad to the new maps though. Better than always flying in blue skies!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

I've had BoS for a few weeks now and although I was hoping to rekindle the enthusiasm I had for 1946 with it, I simply can't, the graphics just look like old Il2 to me, minor improvements but otherwise cartoonish.

The flight dynamics are weird, lots of wobbling and bouncing going on, thank god I found how to disable the blurr when you turned your head, that was really annoying, the start procedure is just daft, sitting there listening to pretend buttons and switches and a list of items being ticked off, pointless.

Damage model is daft with wings falling off everywhere, and huge clouds of smoke bellowing from aircraft you tapped with a few MG rounds.

I quite like the tracer effects, and the weather options are good, I do miss heavy cloud in CloD.

but otherwise,

Not impressed.
    Last edited by Gromit; Sep-14-2015 at 10:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

The (WiP - free add-on for BoS) Autumn/Summer maps looks good.

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/...-6#entry286144
    Last edited by 1lokos; Sep-14-2015 at 12:44.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by II/JG77_RC View Post
    -snip-

The FM's feel really bizarre to me and similar to War Thunder. Sadly to me War Thunder and BOS feel like the same game to me.

-snip-
    I don't get that at all... Some of the numerical statistics of the aircraft themselves don't meet my expectations of quality (yak flaps, Fw190 supercharger behavior, etc.) but the "fluid dynamics" and sensation of being in the air are great.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    -snip-

The flight dynamics are weird, lots of wobbling and bouncing going on

-snip-
    Are you flying German aircraft?

Part of this could be how effective German control surfaces are compared to the Soviet counterparts just as they were in reality... Combine this with the short range of motion utilized by most joysticks on the market and you have the "over sensitivity" for certain aircraft that affects other flight sims like DCS as well.

The bouncing isn't as apparent in something like the Ju87 simply because its surfaces don't match the effectiveness of those utilized in the 190 or 109.

A lot of this could be worked out with robust axis/curve settings like we had in ROF but that is a different story for a different day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 4./JG26_Adler View Post
    Are you flying German aircraft?

Part of this could be how effective German control surfaces are compared to the Soviet counterparts just as they were in reality... Combine this with the short range of motion utilized by most joysticks on the market and you have the "over sensitivity" for certain aircraft that affects other flight sims like DCS as well.

The bouncing isn't as apparent in something like the Ju87 simply because its surfaces don't match the effectiveness of those utilized in the 190 or 109.

A lot of this could be worked out with robust axis/curve settings like we had in ROF but that is a different story for a different day...
    No it's both sides, I bought the upgrade with La5 and Fw190, the flight models have an arcade feel about them, even in a moderate bank with the stick held static the aircraft wobbles and pitches, it's all quite odd!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

...with the stick held static the aircraft wobbles and pitches, it's all quite odd
    Well, this is what people call "the realist feeling of flight, to be there, in the air". For these the other flight sim/games "fly on the rails".

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No it's both sides, I bought the upgrade with La5 and Fw190, the flight models have an arcade feel about them, even in a moderate bank with the stick held static the aircraft wobbles and pitches, it's all quite odd!
    Air isn't perfectly smooth... To me an "arcade flight model" would be one that doesn't simulate any atmospheric conditions or turbulence... I personally don't get an "arcade" impression from BOS.

Ah well, to each their own.

EDIT: For the record, the German aircraft flail about quite a bit for me... The Soviet aircraft not as much... Control surface effectiveness is the only thing I can come up with.
    Last edited by 4./JG26_Adler; Sep-14-2015 at 14:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

When I flew gliders I never experienced the constant wobbling in turns like this game portrays, the faster you went the more stable it became, at low speed you always had to correct but this is ridiculous the plane flies drunkenly in the turns.

You say on rails but at speed all the gliders I flew turned smoothly, turbulent air caused dips and sinks on approach but nothing like this.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

-snip-

the faster you went the more stable it became, at low speed you always had to correct but this is ridiculous the plane flies drunkenly in the turns.

-snip-
    For the record, all of the aircraft become more stable at speed in BOS... Compression at speed is well modeled... And I still don't get that impression from any of the aircraft - they're all easily controllable to me without having to compensate for any perceived inequities... Assuming I'm not ham-fisted with the controls.

I have been a pretty vocal critic on the BOS forums for the last 2~ years or so so I am genuinely trying to see/feel where you are coming from but my quips in BOS' design comes from an aircraft performance, "gameplay" and "game balance" perspective and it seems we don't share coinciding opinions about other elements in its design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Why is there no ranking on the left side where it says normal or expert beside most of the other servers ? it has Map Icons so that right there makes it not expert

Its custom

I don't get that at all... Some of the numerical statistics of the aircraft themselves don't meet my expectations of quality (yak flaps, Fw190 supercharger behavior, etc.) but the "fluid dynamics" and sensation of being in the air are great.
    To me the planes feel to light and they also do not react with very much precision to joystick input no matter how I adjust the curves.

If you A-B-C BOS against how IL2 1946, or Cliffs reacts to control input its like night and day. BOS feels like a toy in comparison, it just does not have the precision that its predecessors had when dealing with controller input.

If you A-B BOS with War Thunder the way the game reacts to control input is very similar. To me the games feel almost the same. I would not be surprised if some of the same people worked on both game engines.
    Last edited by II/JG77_RC; Sep-14-2015 at 20:24.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by II/JG77_RC View Post
    -snip-

If you A-B BOS with War Thunder the way the game reacts to control input is very similar. To me the games feel almost the same. I would not be surprised if some of the same people worked on both game engines.
    Actually, a few of the guys who wrote Cliffs' engine are the same guys who are writing BOS' engine.

To each their own, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Actually, a few of the guys who wrote Cliffs' engine are the same guys who are writing BOS' engine.
    I don't think that's correct.
    A few of the artists yes, the programmers, I think moved on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My impression of the BOS "Wobble" is the developer trying to simulate adverse Yaw, but it does not come off right and seems to appear at the strangest times, for example in a dive. There are lots of quirks about the FM that I just don't get, I am not sure if the FM's are just not polishied, if it as a limitation of the game engine or this is the developers way if trying to impart "flying feel". That being said it is certainly different from the feel of COD, DCS WWII aircraft and IL2 1946.

JD
    AKA_MattE

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Watch real aircraft they wobble

In glider I feel movement up down left right even in bank in clean air. Feels smoother maybe but bum on seat helps.

109 not so bad if tiny stick movements and keeping it smooth. Smoothness is key and shame no wind to give resistenc.

28. Likes 4./JG26_Adler liked this post
    Banned
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpSpZ2Q17Fc
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've had BoS for a few weeks now and although I was hoping to rekindle the enthusiasm I had for 1946 with it, I simply can't, the graphics just look like old Il2 to me, minor improvements but otherwise cartoonish.

The flight dynamics are weird, lots of wobbling and bouncing going on, thank god I found how to disable the blurr when you turned your head, that was really annoying, the start procedure is just daft, sitting there listening to pretend buttons and switches and a list of items being ticked off, pointless.

Damage model is daft with wings falling off everywhere, and huge clouds of smoke bellowing from aircraft you tapped with a few MG rounds.

I quite like the tracer effects, and the weather options are good, I do miss heavy cloud in CloD.

but otherwise,

Not impressed.
    I think the issue with the graphics is that they aren't using a proper material/shader set up. Add to that the strange bloom that gives you rainbow colors, inaccurate sky colors especially at dawn/dusk, and the lighting engine. I think if they change these things to more modern implementatios then that would go a very long way to getting rid of the cartoonish look.

Its nice that they added reflections (screen space?) but a real shame that they didn't bother putting in a pbr shader system. And why they didn't adopt clods excellent sky rendering is beyond me.

As for the wobbly aircraft, I think they are probably over modeling gust response, but that is just a guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Watch real aircraft they wobble

In glider I feel movement up down left right even in bank in clean air. Feels smoother maybe but bum on seat helps.

109 not so bad if tiny stick movements and keeping it smooth. Smoothness is key and shame no wind to give resistenc.
    I recall often on approach or when turning into a wind the glider would sink suddenly leaving you with that "over a humpback bridge" feeling in your stomach, or a sudden lift of the nose which you had to correct, sideslip was a regular occurrence especially in a quartering wind, but in the bank the glider would roll into the bank and slide through the turn, sure you had a little pitch but the wobbling in turns BoS is portraying is absurd, it feels like the ailerons are loose, or something's broken, if you were teetering on the edge of stall I could understand it but this "effect" makes it feel like an arcade game!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

double

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

I've try BoS until last year, I don't know if they have fixed it, but from the comment that I am reading they have not. The feeling of flight like some are saying in BOS is just wrong. I am not a programmer and I don't know what or how they done it but it's like a build in lateral instability a little bit like a dutch roll https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_roll .

The thing is that you not suppose to get that with this type of aircraft at those altitude.

As for turbulence mention before by someone there is many type but in a nutshell there is 2 main types of turbulence you can encounter at low level.

Mechanical:
    This is caused by interference of surface features on the horizontal flow of air. This could include mountains, Tall buildings
    The amount of turbulence depends on speed of wind, the size of the obstruction, the shape of obstruction and atmospheric conditions. An aircraft will experience turbulence as it fly over and behind this object. Not much mountains in Stalingrad ?

Thermal:
    When the surface is sufficiently warm, vertical currents of air form. As an aircraft fly through these, the occupants will experience turbulent conditions. Winter Stalingrad ?

And it is never a constant "wobeling" ( Is that even a word lol) like your on a Jolly jumper anyways.

There is a lot of stuff good about BOS but the FM are not part of it
    Last edited by ATAG_((dB)); Sep-18-2015 at 01:40.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12