Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of stopping using this ... :(

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Thinking of stopping using this ... :(

Hi Guys,

I'm a little disheartened right now, I've been playing this for 2 months nearly.
    It has a very steep learning curve. Planes are very difficult to control. I need to always trim. Can't seem to catch up speed. Dogfights for me are nearly impossible. Can't seem to be setting my track IR right and it is giving me neck problems. Track ir also doesn't control well especially during looking for other aircraft...

If someone can enlighten me up, cause i'm thinking of putting everything in a box and stop playing this....

Thanks

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Re: Thinking of stopping using this ... :(

Steve this is a hard game, with very experienced players in flight simms as opponents. If you wish i can try to give you some hints on your favorite ride. Just give me a holler on TS and we go to a separate channel, trying to understand whats missing to make sure you get some more pleasure of your flight time.

Just look for me, anytime you see me online.

S!

3. Likes -=7th-DR=-Milo, Gromit, rjabe, trademe900 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Stevefire View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm a little disheartened right now, I've been playing this for 2 months nearly.
    It has a very steep learning curve. Planes are very difficult to control. I need to always trim. Can't seem to catch up speed. Dogfights for me are nearly impossible. Can't seem to be setting my track IR right and it is giving me neck problems. Track ir also doesn't control well especially during looking for other aircraft...

If someone can enlighten me up, cause i'm thinking of putting everything in a box and stop playing this....

Thanks

Steve
    Steve, firstly take Lolsav up on his offer

Secondly, DONT GIVE UP DONT GIVE UP DONT GIVE UP- the effort will be worth it I'll add me and ATAG_Pantast to the list of people happy to fly with you and help you with your difficulties - join us anytime on TS (rarely in the main channel but dont let put you off just come and say hello)

Regarding track IR here is a link to a thread where you can download an experienced players TrackIR profile in case that helps http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=9342. Personally I cant get on with anyones profile other than the one i created for myself but thats just me probably - Id be happy to talk you through on TS how to modify your profile to the way you want it to behave.

Oh and DONT GIVE UP

5. Likes PanTast liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Thanks Loslav i will look you up. Are you on teamspeak now?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Thanks Dave... Will try!!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Thanks Loslav i will look you up. Are you on teamspeak now?
    Will be in 5 mins or so, ill look for you, if your on

Supporting Member -=7th-DR=-Milo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    450.35 MB

Hi Steve

I feel your frustration. I've been in the same boat - playing for two months with a lot of painful learning moments. However, I'd encourage you to stick with it and take up the guys on any offers - they've offered invaluable advice all round.

It does get easier and things do start improving. It took me the best part of six weeks to get my first half a dozen kills but I managed 5 in the last 3 nights so things do start looking up.

Give me a shout on TS if you fancy joining up or having a chat.

10. Likes PanTast liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey mate. I believe I saw you post re: help with the Spitfire, but if you're ever willing to jump over to the dark(light) side, I'd be happy to help you become murderous in the 109. Maybe you just haven't found the ride that suits you best yet.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Hi Steve,

Lots of good advice and offers of assistance above - someone once posted that the rewards you get from playing this game are all the greater because of the difficulty involved in learning it so hang in there.

re dogfighting - I wrote this for 110 flyers but some of it might be relevant to you seeing you said that you were having problems re dogfighting

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ht=persistence

Ezzie

13. Likes -=7th-DR=-Milo liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.0 KB

Don't forget to jump in team speak and ask questions. I'm happy to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Don't give up. Yes, air combat games have a very steep learning curve. But that is more than offset by the tremendous satisfaction you will feel once you "turn the corner". It just takes time and patience..... and remember to ask for help! Ive always found the online flight sim community to be very giving and helpful

I am also happy to help in whatever way I can. I am on most evenings after 9pm Eastern! Just give me a shout!

Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

16. Likes -=7th-DR=-Milo, DRock liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 3./JG51_Savage View Post
    Hey mate. I believe I saw you post re: help with the Spitfire, but if you're ever willing to jump over to the dark(light) side, I'd be happy to help you become murderous in the 109. Maybe you just haven't found the ride that suits you best yet.
    Thanks Savage, my home country was severely attacked by those murderous machines
    + they killed a lot of members of my family and destroyed their belongings...

I would never get in one of those, not even digitally, sorry...

Last edited by Stevefire; Jul-05-2015 at 04:55.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Thankyou Lolsav for yesterdays quick course... I need more of these to get to grips withthe game...

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Quote Originally Posted by -=7th-DR=-Milo View Post
    Hi Steve

I feel your frustration. I've been in the same boat - playing for two months with a lot of painful learning moments. However, I'd encourage you to stick with it and take up the guys on any offers - they've offered invaluable advice all round.

It does get easier and things do start improving. It took me the best part of six weeks to get my first half a dozen kills but I managed 5 in the last 3 nights so things do start looking up.

Give me a shout on TS if you fancy joining up or having a chat.
    Thanks Milo will be surely doing that!!

20. Likes -=7th-DR=-Milo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Hang in there Steve, the difficulty you are experiencing now is simply the learning curve, pretty soon things will slot into place and that "difficulty" will be the reason you play this game!

You will learn and refine your tactics, you will find a particular flight model that suits you, and you will become more aware of what is happening and your involvement in it, it can't all be taught, you take it a piece at a time!

If any of the other lads are not on comms and you see my name on the TS don't hesitate to call me, I will be happy to help you resolve the simple issues you get with Track IR and help you understand the plane management as best I can.

Regards
    Gromit.

22. Likes rjabe liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    Will be in 5 mins or so, ill look for you, if your on
    Hi lolsav,

I checked the position of the track ir 4 and it was exactly in line withthe upper reflector of the clip. I was wrong in seeing it above my head sine it was about 10cm above my eyes.... Sorry i was very tired yesterday.

Im returning the track ir 4 and getting the 5 with the proclip.....
    Quote Originally Posted by 71st_AH_SMOKEJUMPER (XRC) View Post
    Don't forget to jump in team speak and ask questions. I'm happy to help.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Thankyou for your posts guys, tgis is what i love about cliffs of dover, great community always ready to help!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

I have an hour before the F1 starts if your available now Steve?

26. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Im returning the track ir 4 and getting the 5 with the proclip.....

k
    Steve your call entirely but track IR5 works perfectly with the standard clip - you dont need to spend the extra for the proclip (though feel free to do so of course if thats your preference)

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You're probably quite overwhelmed with all the things going on when you play the game. That is completely normal, especially if you just started playing flight sims. What you spend time and concentration on, like keeping the plane stable while checking for targets and managing your engine, more experienced pilots have automated. That means, they do it without having to spend much attention to it which frees up mental capacity for more important tasks like checking your six and looking for targets. There are many things in this game that you have to train from "active, conscious act" to "automatic, unthought act". These come with time, the more often you do it, the more fluent it will become. Problem is that alot of these things have to come together for success to be the result. Many who try flight sims of this capacity don't have enough stamina to see it through.

My advice to you is to take on these aspects in stages. Don't bother with dogfighting at first, concentrate on mastering that plane. That means engine controls, getting the max speed out of it without blowing the rad, keeping speed. I can't emphasize enough how important trimming your plane can be. If you want an exercise that I used to train people with: Take off from Hawkinge and fly through the hangars there. Start with the big hangars, they're a good challenge at start especially with avoiding the smaller hangar at the end. When you're stable with the big hangars, try the smaller ones Here's a little video to demonstrate what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCetgGybAE
    Being able to fly your plane stable without sideslip is the basis for formation flying aswell as gunnery and dogfighting in general. Train that and alot of other things become easier.

Second advice: Get people to train you BUT... be also ready to mine them for info (through questioning them alot). When I started I had many people teaching me things but often enough, they couldn't convey all the info that I needed to learn something. That's a problem that developes with time as people become more and more proficient in the game. When they start doing stuff automatically, they also often lose the ability to identify that (they stop being aware that they do certain things) and might omit it when trying to teach that. That's not ill will on their part but rather a result of the training they went through.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Quote Originally Posted by arglmauf View Post
    You're probably quite overwhelmed with all the things going on when you play the game. That is completely normal, especially if you just started playing flight sims. What you spend time and concentration on, like keeping the plane stable while checking for targets and managing your engine, more experienced pilots have automated. That means, they do it without having to spend much attention to it which frees up mental capacity for more important tasks like checking your six and looking for targets. There are many things in this game that you have to train from "active, conscious act" to "automatic, unthought act". These come with time, the more often you do it, the more fluent it will become. Problem is that alot of these things have to come together for success to be the result. Many who try flight sims of this capacity don't have enough stamina to see it through.

My advice to you is to take on these aspects in stages. Don't bother with dogfighting at first, concentrate on mastering that plane. That means engine controls, getting the max speed out of it without blowing the rad, keeping speed. I can't emphasize enough how important trimming your plane can be. If you want an exercise that I used to train people with: Take off from Hawkinge and fly through the hangars there. Start with the big hangars, they're a good challenge at start especially with avoiding the smaller hangar at the end. When you're stable with the big hangars, try the smaller ones Here's a little video to demonstrate what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCCetgGybAE
    Being able to fly your plane stable without sideslip is the basis for formation flying aswell as gunnery and dogfighting in general. Train that and alot of other things become easier.

Second advice: Get people to train you BUT... be also ready to mine them for info (through questioning them alot). When I started I had many people teaching me things but often enough, they couldn't convey all the info that I needed to learn something. That's a problem that developes with time as people become more and more proficient in the game. When they start doing stuff automatically, they also often lose the ability to identify that (they stop being aware that they do certain things) and might omit it when trying to teach that. That's not ill will on their part but rather a result of the training they went through.
    Thankyou for your lenghty post arglmauf! Will be surely keeping your advices for the future

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

I'd recommend using Kushvipers latest Track IR profile. It gives an exceptionally good natural feel and has made it much easier to keep track of enemy aircraft. You can find it on this forum.
    It made a huge difference for me, make sure you use the suggested rate and smoothness settings for best result.
    Good luck and hang in there.
    Cheers, Scream.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

I think we have all hit that wall in dogfighting when you can never seem to be anything other than a target in an endless turn fight, at some stage.
    A couple of things that helped me get past that point....
    Firstly, get used to flying the aircraft without looking forward, keep tracking your target and be able to know where you are headed without having to break your focus on the enemy.
    Second, avoid chasing their tails every time and try to position your aircraft to be in a firing position where they are going to be, more lead pursuit rather than lag. Try some different manoeuvres just for the hell of it that don't make sense and see what happens. A great way to personalise your dogfighting style!
    S! Scream.

And always fly red.
    Intel I7 - 11700K CPU @ 3.60 GHZ, Nvidia RTX 3080, Evo 970 SSD 1TB, Ram 32GB , Win 10 64 Bit. Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and MSFFB 2, CH Throttle Quadrant, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Falcon Gear Trim Unit, Track IR5.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Stevefire, heres a pretty good overview and explanation of TiR setup that one of the DCS guys put out there. Same principles apply for any game really.

Depending on the game/sim, different head movement is required as cockpit geometry/ergonomics varies a lot from one to the next.
    I use a completely different profile for my DCS A-10C to my Huey, to this game.
    You can customise the movement response a lot so you don't strain your neck trying to look somewhere.

An example is a comparison for DCS A-10C vs Cliffs.
    In the A-10 I need to look down into the pit a lot more than in Cliffs operating systems and such (front, left and right panels), where in Cliffs you are almost constantly looking out of the canopy for the blasted sneaky RAF, apart from quick glances to temp and prop type gauges
    As such my profile axis curves are bias to those movements, which as a result only requires a small movement (no strain) to look where I need to.
    Not sure if I am explaining it properly but Gerry in the vid does the same.

After using TiR since V1 I can say that using other peoples profiles most of the time does not work unless you tweek them a little for your own setup (speed, position, sensitivity, etc)
    They can be a good base though to tweak from or look at to develop your own profile that is 'comfortable' for you.

Last edited by Vlerkies; Jul-06-2015 at 06:18.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Look at the overwhelming response Steven. This is a heck of a community don't you think
    Since we're on the same time zone, when your free email me and we meet again man.

Don't be shy you do not disturb me.
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

34. Likes ATAG_Dave, PanTast liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.28 MB

Exclamation Re: Thinking of stopping using this ... :(

Quote Originally Posted by 71st_AH_((dB)) View Post
    Look at the overwhelming response Steven. This is a heck of a community don't you think
    Since we're on the same time zone, when your free email me and we meet again man.

Don't be shy you do not disturb me.
    Thanks Bruce,
    If it weren't for you I would have packed and left long ago!!!

Hope to catch up later on this week

36. Likes ATAG_((dB)), ATAG_Bliss liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    164.95 MB

Thanks Bruce,
    If it weren't for you I would have packed and left long ago!!!

Hope to catch up later on this week
    When you attempt something difficult, I've often found the reward much greater upon success.

I think that's why I fly a G50.

38. Likes ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_DRock View Post
    When you attempt something difficult, I've often found the reward much greater upon success.

dodging bullets 'from both sides' can be a challenge
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

40. Likes DRock, Chubby Bunting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Or the Blenheim F lol
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

42. Likes DRock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

G50 is brilliant fun, when I fly blue it's 110 or G50, I just love the thing, except the noise, it sounds like a Vespa, or maybe a lawnmower, either way remove the markings and just revel in the confusion!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast