Thread: Problem installing TF4.3 with Windows 10

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Problem installing TF4.3 with Windows 10

Hallo to all.

I have installed Win 10 and CoD wouldn't start. So I delete CoD, the remaining files in steam and documents. I have now installes CoD and the TF-Patches 3.0 to 4.0. CoD ist starting. If I try to install the TF-Patch 4.3 I get the message "This application could not be started" and with further informations to the problem I will be transfered to the following page: https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/kb/2715633

I have tried to run it with administrator und compability-modus and to redownload - but I get the message again and again.

In the Problem Master Lists I didn't find this issue.

Do you have an idea? I hope you can understand my english .

Update:

I found a solution. NET.Framework doesn't work probably after switching from Win8.1 to Win10. I had to deactivate at the windows-features Net.Framework; reboot; reaktivate; reboot and I could install the 4.3 and 4.31 Mods. Cliffs know run with TF 4.31

Greetings
    Oxyd
    Last edited by Oxyd; Aug-08-2015 at 09:58.

2. Likes Corvus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    598.45 MB

Re: Problem installing TF4.3 with Windows 10

No Solution just a gripe.

Installed win 10. Looked great. Tried to start CLOD, startup failure. Rolled back to win 7. No PROBS!
    Love CLOD more than Win 10. Didn't feel like fiddling with settings.

Happy in the "skies" again getting shot up!

4. Likes BenQuinn liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.00 GB

No rush here to switch to windows 10 either, win 7 pro works just GREAT with all my games, 10 would just muck them up for sure....Im waiting. Microsoft seems to issue two dogs for every good OS....the way I figure, what comes next MAY be good..but....not at the expense of my games..only when microsoft no longer supports the OS will I switch.

6. Likes SD_MTaff liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    419.7 KB

Update:

I found a solution. NET.Framework doesn't work probably after switching from Win8.1 to Win10. I had to deactivate at the windows-features Net.Framework; reboot; reaktivate; reboot and I could install the 4.3 and 4.31 Mods. Cliffs know run with TF 4.31

Greetings
    Oxyd
    Thank you very much, this worked for me too .

Corvus

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    276.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by priller26 View Post
    No rush here to switch to windows 10 either, win 7 pro works just GREAT with all my games, 10 would just muck them up for sure....Im waiting. Microsoft seems to issue two dogs for every good OS....the way I figure, what comes next MAY be good..but....not at the expense of my games..only when microsoft no longer supports the OS will I switch.
    Well said.
    What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over ... I suspect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin!
    Winston Churchill.

Supporting Member DoubleStandards's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    282.89 MB

Quote Originally Posted by priller26 View Post

I keep seeing theses kinds of concerns regarding Windows 10. For the life of me I cant figure out what the problem is for some people. Every and I mean EVERY app or game I have tried have worked flawlessly. I have a 1.5TB "Entertainment" hard drive that has nothing but games. So far, if it worked in 7 it works in 10. I initially had problems with my Oculus, but that was fixed within two weeks of Windows 10 public release. I think too many people are reading about other peoples failures (mostly user error) with Windows 10. There are some things I dont like but nothing that would have me running around like chicken little crying about the sky falling. I know MS bashing is still the way cool kids show they are still "edgy", but really some of the misinformation I'm seeing about Win10 online is laughable.

Pro tip- a non DX12 capable gamer is going to be left behind. A lot sooner than you think.

I'm not saying anyone here is wrong. I just dont have the same terrible Windows 10 experience that others think they have.

DS

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Theoretically I like Double Standards post. Maybe after I try Win 10 I might have doubts. However, aside from my concerns about getting CLOD running in Win 10 with no fuss or changes, and I mean running with the Mods, I'm wondering what benefits Win 10 has, re CLOD and more with all other programs?
    I have seen other Windows updates which were not productive. If Windows 10 is worth while then I may make the change.

Finally, and maybe this is related, hope so, when we loaded the Mods which make CLOD a great sim, we were told to cancel the Steam auto updates to keep Steam from fooling with the Mod settings and who knows what else. Will this continue in Wind 10 or are we supposed to occasionally save our settings and give Steam a look into CLOD as modified so STEAM can make improvements to take advantage of Win 10. (And yes, if you are wondering, being basically uninformed, I have no idea why STEAM would want to do that, or what if anything STEAM has to do with CLOD other than marketing.)

Thanks greatly to anyone who has an answer.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleStandards View Post
    I keep seeing theses kinds of concerns regarding Windows 10. For the life of me I cant figure out what the problem is for some people. Every and I mean EVERY app or game I have tried have worked flawlessly. I have a 1.5TB "Entertainment" hard drive that has nothing but games. So far, if it worked in 7 it works in 10. I initially had problems with my Oculus, but that was fixed within two weeks of Windows 10 public release. I think too many people are reading about other peoples failures (mostly user error) with Windows 10. There are some things I dont like but nothing that would have me running around like chicken little crying about the sky falling. I know MS bashing is still the way cool kids show they are still "edgy", but really some of the misinformation I'm seeing about Win10 online is laughable.

Pro tip- a non DX12 capable gamer is going to be left behind. A lot sooner than you think.

I'm not saying anyone here is wrong. I just dont have the same terrible Windows 10 experience that others think they have.

DS
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

Can't speak for all, and with this message I am not trying, but I "upgraded" to Windows X. Felt I could deal with any issues. Maybe not.

After the upgrade Windows started fine. Only casualty listed by Windows was a USB speed up program for file transfers (XFast usb). Apparently the drivers don't work. This should be a warning. Apparently drivers for Win7 and X can be different and so far I don't see a place where one can easily obtain drivers that are outmoded. AsRock has no place posted on their site and Windows absolutely has no easy mechanism to smooth the process of checking for drivers which they might see as obscure. So, it appears to be a crap shoot if you have essentials in your computer, quite apart from CLOD, which might be incapacitated by WinX.
    I should add here that I have a laptop and switched that to WinX and so far have no issues there. But that computer does a lot less than the one which runs CLOD.

When I started CLOD, TF modified, all went well. It loaded through Thrustmaster software and the game started as usual. Except when I found myself in the cockpit I had no controls. My joystick, throttle, and pedals were gone. I never got to the part where I could check TrackIR, so I don't know if it is kaput, but I suspect it is. So much for a smooth upgrade.

Anyway, after a little research, and given the issue with XFast USB, I checked some of the settings on the usb ports. Found statements like "did not migrate". Some of my usb ports had migrated and some had not. Maybe this is typical, maybe not. Maybe my computer just feels it should be like the rest of the world and have this as an issue.
    Tried reinstalling the usbs, software, etc. No change. Maybe this isn't the problem anyway.
    Thrustmaster is trying to help, which is very nice of them. But they say I might have to reload the game and that raises the specter of completely reprogramming the stick and all peripherals. And re-modifying some small parts of the game, like changing how planes show up on single player, etc. But it well could be hours of work.

I am no geek when it comes to computers. I could do some stuff with DOS and have always done routine things. I built this computer from a pile of parts and it handles CLOD at max settings and never has a problem. I run an i7 cpu and SLI, so this computer handles lots of tasks and does so with no issues. Except now. I'm waiting to hear from Thustmaster after giving them some additional info, and after that I may have to reload CLOD and start over. I hope to wrestle with this and not have to go back to Win7. We'll see.

As for the value of Windows 10, it's hard to see much difference. The start interface is a little more cumbersome, unless perhaps you have a touch screen, then it might be an improvement. But for everyday operations, X is a quick and simple change from 7. Still, you have to believe there must be some justification for all this... Maybe not.

So, for now this will be TBC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

I must be one of the exceptions to this madness. I started with Windows 7 Professional and upgraded via the internet to Windows 10. I've had no major issues (yet) that I know of. I fly CloD just fine (if you call my flying flying). And I do not know the secret either, sorry.

Chief
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

A little update.

I've still got problems, but it is down to TrackIR.

After the upgrade to Windows10, the computer functioned well. Not wild about the start menu modifications but it does offer more options even if it is a little more clumsy. So, Windows10 is very much like Windows7 and I really don't see much difference in performance. So far.

After the upgrade CLOD loaded and started fine. But the controls were quite confused. Probably my own fault. Which I will explain shortly.

To get CLOD going decently, I had to reload the peripheral software, but not Steam or CLOD itself. I'm running the TF modified version of CLOD. My peripherals are the joystick which is Thrustmaster Warthog, and likewise the throttle. The pedals are Saitek Combat Pro. The last peripheral is TrackIR, which is still not working correctly in the game.

I suspect if I had been more rigorous in my programming of the Thrustmaster files before upgrading to Windows 10, not mixing buttons with text commands, the transition would have been smoother. But even if the transition to Windows10 messes up your configuration files for your stick, throttle, and pedals, it isn't too difficult to redo them. Once you have learned to program the stick and throttle in the Target software, it isn't difficult to correct the programming. You just need to insure the programing is well done and save the configuration files somewhere safe before the upgrade. (By well done I mean you program the stick and throttle to issue computer key commands when you hit buttons on the stick or throttle, and not use a combination of button and key mixes when programming in the controls section of CLOD. Put another way, I first programed all the buttons on the throttle and stick to produce key commands. I started with the lowest number of buttons for the plane I was flying as I figure I can add more later. Then I went to the Controls menu in CLOD and made sure the key commands were correctly placed with whatever control I wanted to operate and the commands were only used in a single instance, no conflicts. Then saved the programing files with distinctive names reflecting the particular aircraft I wished to control with that configuration. Saved the programing files both in the CLOD Controls menu and in Thrustmaster Target app. And, you save those configuration files where you can get them, not just where they normally reside in CLOD before upgrading to Windows10.
    Then, after the upgrade, and after you start CLOD you have to remember to reprogram all the axes, which you do anytime you create a new configuration file with Thrustmaster stick and throttle. Again, very easy and quick.

That leaves TrackIR. So far it has been a pain. TrackIR is easy to program and the program easily starts and works by itself. However, when started in conjunction with the stick, throttle, and pedals, it does not work. I've reloaded the program, run it as administrator, reloaded drivers, etc., et.al. Nothing works so far. The kind folks at TrackIR are helping and I have high hopes this can be straightened out. I haven't bothered to contact Microsoft as my experience has been that is like climbing a tall mountain in a blizzard. Don't know if Windows10 needs drivers or if something went bang in the upgrade.

I sincerely hope this can be straightened out. I like TrackIR and can't imagine CLOD without it. Would rather go back to Win7 if that is the result. Don't believe Windows10 is that much of an improvement so far, and I have been flying around in CLOD without the TrackIR so I have a good idea what the performance and appearance comparisons are. So far I see negligible differences. On the other hand Windows10 probably is a good upgrade so I'd like to get this to work.

I would love to see how my experience compares to others with similar stick, throttle, pedals, and TrackIR. For info I'm running an i7 cpu, SLI, and plenty of memory. The game has never stuttered or had problems running with all settings at max.

More than anything I'd like to hear suggestions regarding getting TrackIR up, other than of course what I've tried so far as noted above.

Thanks.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.77 MB

Well, I'm happy to report TrackIR is up and running, which makes CLOD fully operational. Mike at TrackIR had me start CLOD normally, without engaging Thrustmaster software (Target profile). I also ran the pedals without their software. Obviously all peripherals were plugged in and recognized by Windows before I started CLOD. The start process was routine: I plugged in all peripherals, started TrackIR, then Steam then started CLOD. Everything worked. I went into the Controls menu of CLOD and immediately programmed the axes and then saved that programming as a new profile in CLOD. I then went ahead in the Controls menu and programmed all the rest of the buttons on the stick and throttle that I wanted, and then saved that profile again.
    The aircraft controls much like when I started it with Target software. My program in Target mode was very little different that exists presently. I had already moved from variable inputs to straight line in the Target programming so there is really no noticeable difference.

As for Windows 10, I can't see a lot of difference. If you are thinking of making the move to Windows 10, what I went through should be viewed as encouraging. And it really should not be difficult now that there is a simple approach, at least if you have a setup similar to mine.
    However, if you are expecting CLOD to look and act significantly differently than in Windows 7, well I don't think you will notice the difference. About the only thing I've noticed so far, and this may be more related to the change in control programming, is that the Spitfire seems a little smoother on the controls, especially at lower speeds as when you are landing.

Finally, thanks to Mike at TrackIR for all his help and encouragement.

Happy motoring!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.25 MB

I am having the same problem installing 4.3. I have followed the solution posted by Oxyd and still have this problem. Any other tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 10
    AMD FX 4350 - 4.2GHz
    16GB RAM
    DirectX Version: 12
    AMD Radeon R9 295X

16. Likes astrix_au liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I just tried CloD with Win10 and it will not work gets a dx11.dll sort of error message. All other games are fine.
    Any clues.
    Cheers
    Jacko
    F/Lt Jacko
    No1 Squadron Yellow 2 (JX-J)
    http://www.tangmerepilots.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Jacko, what motherboard?
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Supporting Member 9./JG26_Brigg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefRedCloud View Post
    I must be one of the exceptions to this madness. I started with Windows 7 Professional and upgraded via the internet to Windows 10. I've had no major issues (yet) that I know of. I fly CloD just fine (if you call my flying flying). And I do not know the secret either, sorry.

Chief
    Same here ChiefRedCloud, infact the only difference is I used a usb stick to install win10.
    Asus RE4, i7 4820k@4.5, 16gb kingston hyperx, gtx 980, 480gb samsung 840 evo for win10 + games, full custom loop, warthog hotas, saitek pedals, asus rog swift and because that is how i roll.

Supporting Member 9./JG26_Brigg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.9 KB

double post
    Asus RE4, i7 4820k@4.5, 16gb kingston hyperx, gtx 980, 480gb samsung 840 evo for win10 + games, full custom loop, warthog hotas, saitek pedals, asus rog swift and because that is how i roll.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Oxyd View Post

Update:

Greetings
    Oxyd
    I tried turned both options on in Windows Features but I still get the error.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Ardu View Post
    LADIES AND GENTLEMEN,

Can't speak for all, and with this message I am not trying, but I "upgraded" to Windows X. Felt I could deal with any issues. Maybe not. .
    Unless you do a fresh install it won't run great, though first you need to update to Windows 10. I did that and I did notice issues soon after updating but after a fresh install runs better than 8.1 ever did and is so much better.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.0 KB

I've run Clod on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10.

Windows 10 runs it best hands down however, launcher no longer works for me. It could very well be because I did the upgrade from 7 and not fresh.

I had to do an old fix where I run it from CloDer.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=36078

It was a Windows 8 fix and worked for me to get the game running on 10.

The graphics are so much prettier under Windows 10 and the sea to sky transition is flawless. My game is smoother, no micro stutters.

All over it was worth the effort making it work. Keep in mind I had purchased Windows 7 to run Cliffs. I started out on 8 and then 8.1 but the micro stutters............ Windows 7 runs the game second best.