Thread: "This application could not be started" Mod Installer TF 4.3

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

"This application could not be started" Mod Installer TF 4.3

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this simulator and to this forum and i'm having a problem installing the patches.
    When installing the mod patches following the instructions for new pilots found on these forums i run into a problem with Mod Installer TF 4.3, it gives me the "This application could not be started" error. After a bit of hunting around myself i am led to believe that this has something to do with .NET Framework. I found someone on this forum with the same problem http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ad.php?t=18324 but this fix hasn't worked for me for some reason.

I'm running Windows 10 which is most likely causing this unusual problem.

Hope you guys can help me out.

-Your old mate Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Re: "This application could not be started" Mod Installer TF 4.3

Welcome Simm.

This might not help, but be sure to open that file into a folder on your desktop, and then run it from there. Otherwise it will not load.

Late for work, so have to run.
    Others who know a lot more than i do will be along to help soon!

Glad you are here. Good luck with everything.

EDIT: Actually i think it is the 4.0 that must be opened into a file first. But you can try it anyhow Simm.
    Now i am really late for work!
    Last edited by farley; Sep-15-2015 at 08:07.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Welcome Simm.

This might not help, but be sure to open that file into a folder on your desktop, and then run it from there. Otherwise it will not load.

Late for work, so have to run.
    Others who know a lot more than i do will be along to help soon!

Glad you are here. Good luck with everything.
    Thanks for your help farley!

I tried what you suggested and it hasn't worked for me unfortunately, what i find strange is that all the previous patches have worked perfectly.
    But I've seemed to have hit a brick wall with this one!
    -Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Sorry to be so obvious, but 2 questions:

Did you reboot after trying to sort out Net Framework; and did you run the installer in Administrator Mode?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have tried running the installer in both administrator and as normal but both aren't working and come up with the same error message.

I tried unchecking both .NET Framework boxes in Windows features and then rebooting and then activating them again then rebooting but that didn't work for me either.
    -Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

The file might be corrupted.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Il delete it and redownload it when I get home from work then and see if that works.
    -Simm

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have re downloaded the patch and tried installing it again and it still gives me the "This application could not be started" error
    I'm not sure what else to try.
    -Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Simm View Post
    I have re downloaded the patch and tried installing it again and it still gives me the "This application could not be started" error
    I'm not sure what else to try.
    Is it the same patch that's causing you grief Simm?
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am glad to say that after a bit of frustrated trial and error i have managed to get the little bugger installed! Just to clarify once 4.312 shows up in red at the bottom of the main menu I'm up to date right?

For anyone who might have the same problem as i have had, what you need to do is make sure that the boxes are checked next to both "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" and "Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation" in "Windows Features".

Doing this allowed me to install both 4.3 and 4.312
    -Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I am glad to say that after a bit of frustrated trial and error i have managed to get the little bugger installed! Just to clarify once 4.312 shows up in red at the bottom of the main menu I'm up to date right?

For anyone who might have the same problem as i have had, what you need to do is make sure that the boxes are checked next to both "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" and "Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation" in "Windows Features".

Doing this allowed me to install both 4.3 and 4.312
    Thanks for sharing this, Simm.

I will include this in our patch installation AND troubleshooting posts up in the Beginners Section. This may save future new players using Win 10 a few headaches!

Primary insertion:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ll=1#post51809

Back up location:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ll=1#post52764
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Sep-16-2015 at 10:15. Reason: added links

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    Thanks for sharing this, Simm.

I will include this in our troubleshooting post up in the Beginners Section. This may save future new players using Win 10 a few headaches!
    No problem, that sounds like a great idea mate!
    -Simm

13. Likes ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

That is strange as the mod installer does not "activate windows"
    Perhaps something else was installed as a requisite for those two.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    That is strange as the mod installer does not "activate windows"
    Perhaps something else was installed as a requisite for those two.
    Quite possibly, when you activate both those in Windows features it downloads and installs them then prompts you to reboot. So maybe as you say something else is installed along with it.
    -Simm

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

yes another winX spy ware add ware program more then likely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks for sharing your resolve here Simm....These things help the community no end....We don't all have the same system so sometimes it's hard to help folks when no one else has the issue....

Welcome to the community and forums Simm...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little....

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact Spotting Test

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

and Please take a moment to let us know how you came to find CLOD so as we get an idea of what we can do to get the word out there in a bigger way.

How Did You Find CLOD?

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

18. Likes Simm liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    130.25 MB

I am having the same problem, after following advice in this topic and others I am still unable to install 4.3. If anyone has any other suggestions that I could try i would appreciate the advice.

Thank
    Video

Windows 10
    AMD FX 4350 - 4.2GHz
    16GB RAM
    DirectX Version: 12
    AMD Radeon R9 295X

UPDATE - The mod finally installed. I did not make any changes, or restart since the last time it failed to install, but this time It just worked. I don't know why it decide to work this time and not the others times as stated I have made no additional changes or fixes. I did try all the suggestions posted here so something most of helped, it just didn't fix it right away...puzzling.
    Last edited by TWC_Copperhead; Feb-04-2016 at 13:42.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Video View Post
    I am having the same problem, after following advice in this topic and others I am still unable to install 4.3. If anyone has any other suggestions that I could try i would appreciate the advice.

Thank
    Video

Windows 10
    AMD FX 4350 - 4.2GHz
    16GB RAM
    DirectX Version: 12
    AMD Radeon R9 295X

UPDATE - The mod finally installed. I did not make any changes, or restart since the last time it failed to install, but this time It just worked. I don't know why it decide to work this time and not the others times as stated I have made no additional changes or fixes. I did try all the suggestions posted here so something most of helped, it just didn't fix it right away...puzzling.
    Yeah I can't get it to work, tried everything like you and I'm still on 4.0.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by astrix_au View Post
    Yeah I can't get it to work, tried everything like you and I'm still on 4.0.
    I did it, I turned off kaspersky Internet security (including the autorun) and restarted and then it worked. I had to upgrade to KIS from the Kaspersky Antivirus because it would block steam browser. The only way to get it to work right in KAV is to restart without running it, simply turning it off doesn't help so I thought KIS could be doing the same thing with .NET framework 3.5. I don't know if that actually fixed it but I have been trying for ages and restarted many times.

I tried the other day with disabling it but I just found there was a autorun option that stops everything from starting after restart

This is what gave me the idea.
    https://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=332106

It's possible that this fixed it for me.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hello all,

I am pretty new in the forum and the mod scene. I have read any thread about this problem with mod 4.3 but i get the same error. I use windows 10, have tray to change the windows features with the net.communiaction like i read here. I also tray the solutions with KIS. Erlier mods i was able to install, even 4.312 want to start, but of course i get the error massage that mod 4.3 must be install in first.

1.jpg

So if the is a other solution i woud be thankful for any.

Tnx anyway and best regards

SOLVED: I have format the SSD and reinstal windows 10 again, no antivirus in first. And it works.
    Last edited by crashoverdrive; May-07-2016 at 13:05.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am getting the “This application could not be started” error dialog box when launching the TF 4.3 installer. I manually checked both "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" and "Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation" in "Windows Features". I have rebooted my PC and I deactivated my Anti-Virus protection and it still will not launch. I thought that the file might be corrupted (I originally downloaded the “All.zip”) so I downloaded the individual 4.3 zip and tried that and the mod still will not launch. I have no idea of what I’m doing wrong or what could be missing from win 10. Any ideas? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    108.53 MB

Quote Originally Posted by gganey View Post
    I am getting the “This application could not be started” error dialog box when launching the TF 4.3 installer. I manually checked both "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" and "Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation" in "Windows Features". I have rebooted my PC and I deactivated my Anti-Virus protection and it still will not launch. I thought that the file might be corrupted (I originally downloaded the “All.zip”) so I downloaded the individual 4.3 zip and tried that and the mod still will not launch. I have no idea of what I’m doing wrong or what could be missing from win 10. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Hi gganey,
    So I assume u have the vanilla installed and updated from Steam. Did u run the vanilla version and it ran ok ?
    Once the vanilla is installed u MUST turn auto updates OFF for CloD and turn Steam Cloud OFF for CloD also.
    U then install each patch in order making sure u run the game and start a simple single player mission after u install each individual patch and before u install the next (u don't have to complete the mission, just see that it starts up ok and then exit it). The 5 Patches are, in order; (1)Mod Installer.exe, (2)Minipatch 3.01 Mod Installer.exe, (3)4.0 final (this is a folder containing Mod 4.0 Installer.exe and a zip file Mod-v40.zip, just run the .exe and it will automatically unzip the zip file and install it), (4)Mod Installer TF 4.3.exe, (5)Mod Installer TF 4.312.exe.
    If u have SweetFX installed in CloD in Win10 uninstall it, it will cause the game to crash.
    Post back if all of the above has been attended and it's just the 4.3 patch that is failing.
    Also some specs of ur pc would be useful.
    System specs:
    Gaming laptop: Metabox P750ZM, CPU Intel i7-4790K @ 4GHz, GTX 980m with 8Gb DDR5 VRAM, 16Gb Dual channel DDR3 RAM, 2 x Samsung EVO 840 500Gb SSDs, Win10 Home 64bit.

Gaming PC: MSI PRO Z690 WIFI DDR5 mobo, Intel i5 12600KF cpu, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 5200Mhz RAM, Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M2 SSD, Corsair 850w psu, MSI RTX 3070 8GB vram vid card, Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    535.75 MB

FWIW, I was getting the same error "Application can't be started," with 4.3 and the solution from Microsoft was to turn on .NET in Windows Features. However, this was no help since .NET was already turned on.

Since several users traced their problems to Kaspersky AV, I did a diagnostic start from msconfig, so that Kaspersky would not load on startup and tried to install 4.3 again. Still got the "Application will not run" error.

So, I looked under Other Tools in Kaspersky Internet Security, and checked for malware...Kaspersky detected and cleaned the problem (sorry, I can't say what the malware problem actually was) and I was able to install 4.3 just fine.

Your mileage may vary.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.09 MB

I had similar issues - windows 10 - unable to start,
    I tried all of the above suggestions, and still was unable to get it to install (Also with Kaspersky).

Ironically this had previously installed with no issues about 4 weeks before (aside from the .net initial activation).

After much messing around (and ensuring .net was reinstalled etc), was still unable to install.
    Restarted under Safemode (Hammer F8 just as windows starts to load, or use the MSconfig to select boot to startmode)
    Installed with no issues.

When returned to full windows I tried the launcher again for giggles..still failed.

So theres my tip - try Safemode to install...