Thread: VKB T-Rudder "toe brakes".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

VKB T-Rudder "toe brakes".

Since VKB T-Rudder don't come with "toe brakes" - I think this construction and vertical movement prevents implement brakes - a workaround is set the rudder axis to press buttons and use this buttons for brake in games, e.g. CloD Luftwaffe planes, DCS WW II planes and some jet's.

1 - Get the VKB Configuration software from: http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/

2 - Run the program and in "settings" tick the "Expert mode", restart and select the T-Rudder controller: VKB Tiny Box to load configuration options.

3- In the tab "Action" tick the "A2B" and in "#but" set 3.

4- Now in tab "Profile" > "Common-n-Axis" > "Axes2Buttons" (right side-vertical) set:

5- Click on Set (joystick icon) to save the configuration in Tiny BoX EEPROM.

Now in game you can set the buttons 1 and 3 for left and right wheel brakes. Button 2 do nothing.

In DCS/CloD is easy to set, select the function "Left wheel brake" and push the rudder to left to active the button 1 and holding* in this position, press the OK(APPLY) button. Same for right.
    *If you center the rudder before hit OK/APPLY the button 2 will be activated, in DCS the last button is registered, in CLoD is registered both.

In Clod assign the right brake is a bit trick, most of time buttons 1 and 2 are registered (since CLoD allow any button as modifier for other button), ease solution, leave in this way and edit the ConfUser.ini removing the Joystick # +Key1 reference.

Code:
    Joystick1+Key2=wheelbrakertx (the joystick number (1 in case) varies depend on how many controllers is used).
    Joystick1+Key0=wheelbrakeltx
    For CloD, the joystick (in Windows Control Panel > Games Controllers) button number 1 is 0, 2 is 1 and 3 is 2. So leave assigned in User.ini Key0 and Key2 for left and right brakes.

If need brake both wheels use the button/key already assigned for this, for British/Italian planes.

In DCS I "complicated" the things a bit, since my joystick has a picky button, I set this button as modifier and add this to left/right wheel brakes.
    So the brakes will only activate if this button is pressed, eg. in taxi maneuvers, but in take-of run after the tail get lift the rudder pedal control only the.. rudder.

In il-2:BoS this is not need. Despite various bad decision in this game design, for brakes the dev's have a wise solution:

Luftwaffe planes, besides the traditional "toe brakes" can use the "differential brakes" like Russian(British, Italians...) planes too:
    Press a button/key for brake both wheels and move the rudder to brake more/only left of right.

Why this "historic" deviation? Since they target market is the "new players", usually with "3in1" joystick with twist rudder and no "toe brakes", this make all sense.

But if want use buttons instead axis, set in the same way. Probable will be need edit the "current.map" and "current.actions" like the ConfUser.ini in CloD, since key assignments in this game is a bit trick too.

Despite the lack of "toe brakes", if one want a rudder pedal better than the "plastered" Saiteks and the "electronics obsolete" CH, VKB T-Rudder is a nice option, more affordable than "high tech" MFG Crosswind and Slaw Pedals.

Mudspike T-Rudder Mk.III review: http://www.mudspike.com/vkb-t-rudder-mk-iii/

BTW - In Stratojet (VKB retailer in USA) is said that VKB are working in "virtual toe brakes". Probable they will add in the software ability to rudder axis emulate 2 virtual axis for brakes use, in proportional way.]

VKB: "We are developing a more advanced algorithm to control the mixing axes separate wheel brakes."
    Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-02-2015 at 10:53.

2. Likes invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Re: VKB T-Rudder "toe brakes".

Worked great! Thanks for taking the time to type this up!
    Vae Victis!

"He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight." - Sun Tzu

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Last edited by 1lokos; Oct-04-2015 at 12:33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Interesting... two virtual axis. Between Google Translate and the screenshots I think I got it..... I will try it tonight!
    Vae Victis!

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

OK....got it working. Fairly simple to setup once you get past a few things not mentioned in those posts.

NOTE: Be sure to save your pedals original configuration using the VKB Device Config BEFORE you make changes.

1.) The "Trimmer +/-" option under the button mapping wizard is NOT available in the latest version of VKB Device Config software (v0.72.5.7). You have to back down to an earlier version....I went with the version I was using prior (v0.71.6.5). I always keep prior version when I download new software. I know VKB's software developers (UIV and Alex Oz) are working on the newest VKB firmware version features and so are constantly tweaking the Dev Config software....sometimes methinks they tweak it a bit too much.

2.) If you have purchased the T-rudder pedals with the Tiny Box you need to make sure the you check not only the A2B checkbox under Global but ALSO the FA and Map checkboxes as well. By default the Tiny Box does have these selected and you need to do so in order to get the two virtual axis mapped properly. Might also want to make sure you have the latest version of the Tiny Box firmware loaded. The new Mk. III version of the T-Rudder pedals will have this version (or newer) loaded...older versions like my Mk. I may not. YMMV.

Things to check under Global.jpg

3.) Check the Physical and Logical Axis configuration changes I made under the Profiles tab. Note you must make sure to select the areas I've circled. Under logical axis, you must check the "En" boxes to enable each virtual axis and the "Vs" box to have it visible in the HID i.e. visible to Windows. Also, I'm not sure what the Combine box does, but this does not seem to work without choosing "Combine 1" as noted in my picture below.

Logical & Physical Axis Selections.jpg
    Vae Victis!

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

A brief followup.... the virtual brakes work well in CLOD. It may take you a few tries to get the game to recognize each axis but once done they do work. I found I had to go into my config and edit out the button as previously noted but that is relatively easy to accomplish. I tried a few offline missions where I took off and landed and found it to be doable but it takes a little time to get used to. I was also able to assign these in DCS as well but have not tried the setup as yet.
    Vae Victis!

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Other "hidden" feature of VKB Conf Soft, the "DR" (Dual Rate like in R/C transmitter).

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/1...11#entry338244

Can be useful in Ka-50 during engagements to point to target, reducing the rudder sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

Other "hidden" feature of VKB Conf Soft, the "DR" (Dual Rate like in R/C transmitter).

http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/1...11#entry338244

Can be useful in Ka-50 during engagements to point to target, reducing the rudder sensitivity.
    Awesome! I recently got around to flying the Black Shark offline... this will come in handy!

Really wish there was English documentation for VKB Device Config.... it is easy to see there is so much capability available within the software. I don't mind tinkering to figure things out but this is more like stumbling around in the dark. That said, I know they will get around to it eventually.

It is important to keep in mind VKB is a part-time effort by these guys and their non-Russian market is still relatively small... that should change with time as the EU and US ventures continue selling products.

Thanks again!
    Vae Victis!

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

T-Rudder adjusts - CAM two position, spring two position, foot rest length, inclination.

http://vkb-sim.pro/T-Rudder-MkIII/index.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

12. Likes invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Test with individual wheel brakes on virtual axes emulated by T-Rudder rudder axis instead buttons (both wheels on joy' trigger).

Don't see advantage over button, find the brake response "sluggish".

Brakes axis Y sensitivity reduced for 80% due "supper rudder" on TF51-D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Not a useful rudder "test", but funny.

15. Likes invictus84 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

VKB are developing "VKB T-Link", a simplified soft version for set "virtual brakes" in T-Rudder. Beta test start soon.

Currently implemented two functions:
    - Separate the wheel brakes
    - Mode of high accuracy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    241.13 MB

VKB are developing "VKB T-Link", a simplified soft version for set "virtual brakes" in T-Rudder. Beta test start soon.

Yep. Saw the post and sent Jason a message on the VKB English forum.

Looks like an interesting concept...seems by looking at it that it's a software "shift" function that enables the T-rudder to control the brakes and/or the rudder.
    Vae Victis!

Come watch the fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

T-Rudder "tuning" to muffle the center spring "kiii kiii" sound:

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Available - in Beta - the software T-Link for VKB T-Rudder.

T_Rudder.jpg

Donwload: http://forum.vkb-sim.pro/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2108
    Sample of use in DCS: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...8&postcount=38

Other example in DCS:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?...1&postcount=92

- Allow set a joystick button for emulate 2 virtual axis, Y and Z, for brake right and left wheel simultaneous.
    Moving the rudder, e.g for right the braking force is cancelled in left wheel wheel.

In practice work like the British/Italian/Russian "differential brake" system, press the "bicycle brake" on stick and move the rudder.

- Allow apply momentary a different response curve in rudder axis (optional feature), by pressing a joystick button, e.g. reduce axis response during aim.

- Allow update the T-Rudder firmware.

The software need be on during game for this functions work.

Contrary to advertsing, this software don't create "virtual toe brakes" for planes with this brake system, but create "virtual differential brakes" for this planes.

Tested for planes with "toe brakes", CLoD Bf-109 and DCSW TDF51D, work well, as brake button used joy' trigger.

For IL-2 BoS this is not needed, the "differential brake system" (Russian) is available for all planes in this game including Luftwaffe ones and P-40 - a (rare) dev's smart decision aimed in "casual pilots" with twist rudder joysticks.

Including in this game (BoS) the braking force is proportional to rudder movement, e.g. move rudder 70% for right, 70% of brake in right wheel, 30% in left wheel, with T-Link is all or nothing - which seems to be more consistent to an air-based brake system, that allow leak the air in the wheel that should not be braked.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jul-27-2016 at 15:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

VKB announce that (finally) T-link v_0.66.1 compatible with T-Rudder Mk. IV Black Box is available:
    Require update of Black Box firmware for v_1.81.6.

T-Link beta! http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Programms/T-Link_v0_66_1.zip
    Firmware and profile for T-Link http://ftp.vkb-sim.pro/Firmware/BlackBox/BB_v1_81_6.zip
    After setting the brake button in the T-Link, restart the program.
    I test this T-link version with T-Rudder Mk.III and work OK.

User inform that works with his Mk. IV & Black Box.

BTW - T-Link give you "Differential Brakes" or "British/Russian Brakes", not "Tip-Toe-Brakes", the rudder bar movement don't press the brakes, just determine what wheel (right/left) will be braked when pressed the assigned joy/throttle button in T-Link.

IL-2:BoS don't need use T-link, "Differential Brakes" is available for all planes, together with their original (IRL) brake system.