Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Dear Team Fusion

I'm new to IL2 Cliffs of Dover and I'm really excited at the potential of the game. However, I've noticed the Spits and Hurricanes have an awful sharp right bank tendency on starting the game. My joystick is calibrated and I can sort of correct the problem with rudder trim but then I end up flying in a slip (yep, that's how much rudder is needed). PLEASE could you enable aileron trim for these aircraft as that will solve the problem perfectly. I know these planes didn't have aileron trim in real life but I must say this problem is so irritating that I've stopped playing the game. Would this be difficult to enable?

Many thanks
    Steve

2. Likes Woop, Gamecock78W liked this post
    Dislikes 7./JG26_SMOKEJUMPER disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Re: Please please create a mod that allows aileron trim in Spits and Hurricanes

Hi Steve. I'm not going to say it isn't possible but you sort of answered your own question with "I know these planes didn't have aileron trim in real life".

Team Fusion have a huge list of things to fix, create, update, improve and add BUT this is a Flight Simulator and as such the aircraft and features are designed to be historic (as much as possible) and if an aircraft didn't have trim then that's exactly how it's modelled. Moving forward in real life aircraft for WW2, it was realised trim was important, that's why new aircraft had that feature included.

We are building new aircraft and as such these will include the features they had in real life, but adding features to aircraft to make them.easier to.fly isn't what a Simulation is about, it's about simulating the difficulty had by the fledgling aviators of WW2 and as such this isn't a bug but a simulated feature.

Sorry to be negative but it's better to be honest than raise false hope for an historical inaccurate feature.

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi MP

I hear you when it comes to keeping it real but that's just the point, a sharp bank to the right with all trims neutral and stick centred isn't realistic. If anything, the aircraft should be rolling left counter to the propeller. Here's a thought, as far as I know aileron trim could be adjusted by the ground crew (on the ground obviously), so the pilot could give feedback as to whether he felt the plane was rolling one way or another at a set speed (cruising speed usually). With a bit of trial and error, the ground crew could eventually set up aileron trim to his liking. Something like that could be built into the game and adjusted under an aircraft setup menu?

Steve

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by scpelly View Post
    Dear Team Fusion

I'm new to IL2 Cliffs of Dover and I'm really excited at the potential of the game. However, I've noticed the Spits and Hurricanes have an awful sharp right bank tendency on starting the game. My joystick is calibrated and I can sort of correct the problem with rudder trim but then I end up flying in a slip (yep, that's how much rudder is needed). PLEASE could you enable aileron trim for these aircraft as that will solve the problem perfectly. I know these planes didn't have aileron trim in real life but I must say this problem is so irritating that I've stopped playing the game. Would this be difficult to enable?

Many thanks
    Steve
    Hi Steve

I think you may find that after a week or so your hand and mind have adjusted and you automatically fly with a bit of pressure on the stick for aileron adjustment all the time without thinking about it anymore.

That has been my experience.

6. Likes ATAG_Deacon, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi MP

I hear you when it comes to keeping it real but that's just the point, a sharp bank to the right with all trims neutral and stick centred isn't realistic. If anything, the aircraft should be rolling left counter to the propeller. Here's a thought, as far as I know aileron trim could be adjusted by the ground crew (on the ground obviously), so the pilot could give feedback as to whether he felt the plane was rolling one way or another at a set speed (cruising speed usually). With a bit of trial and error, the ground crew could eventually set up aileron trim to his liking. Something like that could be built into the game and adjusted under an aircraft setup menu?

Steve
    Hey Steve

What you are mentioning about the ground crew might be right, but trim is in close relationsship with speed. So at a certain speed, even in the game as it is now, the plane will fly quite straight. Your suggested solution would probably just shift the proble to another speed-range.

But something else: Please have a look at the aileron-positions in the game (look at your virtual wing). I had some strange bugs lately where my joystick was calibrated perfectly but the game didn't seem to read the joystick-position correctly, resulting in a rolling that was way too hard. I then discovered that the ailerons were slightly off on my virtual wing. Restarting the PC/Game did solve that.

I hope I was able to help,
    Conti
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

scpelly

You problem is:

The aileron trim is adjusted - by ground crew - for cruise speed, at specific RPM, in that speed Spit fly straight all day,
    but when you go full throttle or near you need compensate with control column.

Anyway, if you want a "cheat" with these programming soft for HOTAS - TARGET, CH Manager ... you can set curves that "trim" Spit (or any plane, in any game) aileron at any speed.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Guys thanks for all the feedback, but I feel we're missing the main point here - my aircraft rolls strongly to the right. If anything, it should roll to the left with trims neutral and the stick centred, as the prop is spinning clockwise (viewed from the cockpit).

Is this not a "bug" in the game? I'm also not sure if everybody is experiencing this same thing. I thought it may be my joystick but it seems the Logitek Extreme 3D pro is quite popular.

10. Likes w0odi liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Conti, I think you may be on the button here. With my joystick calibrated and centred, I see that I have some aileron for right bank on my wings. If I give a small push to the left, the ailerons neutralise and the banking stops. Unfortunately however mine is consistent, restarting the game and pc doesn't help at all. Do you think it may be the Logitek Extreme 3D Pro joystick being incompatible?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
    Hey Steve

What you are mentioning about the ground crew might be right, but trim is in close relationsship with speed. So at a certain speed, even in the game as it is now, the plane will fly quite straight. Your suggested solution would probably just shift the proble to another speed-range.

But something else: Please have a look at the aileron-positions in the game (look at your virtual wing). I had some strange bugs lately where my joystick was calibrated perfectly but the game didn't seem to read the joystick-position correctly, resulting in a rolling that was way too hard. I then discovered that the ailerons were slightly off on my virtual wing. Restarting the PC/Game did solve that.

I hope I was able to help,
    Conti

Supporting Member -=7th-DR=-Milo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    450.35 MB

Guys thanks for all the feedback, but I feel we're missing the main point here - my aircraft rolls strongly to the right. If anything, it should roll to the left with trims neutral and the stick centred, as the prop is spinning clockwise (viewed from the cockpit).

Is this not a "bug" in the game? I'm also not sure if everybody is experiencing this same thing. I thought it may be my joystick but it seems the Logitek Extreme 3D pro is quite popular.
    Hi Steve

I can't offer a solution but I can say that this doesn't sound like what I'm experiencing.

I get a slight roll but more often than not I can get it trimmed out pretty well (more problematic with the hurricane).

Hope that helps.
    "When they asked me if I was a Gerry, I'm afraid I let loose with every rude four-letter word I could think of... that immediately assured them I was an RAF officer."

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Conti, I think you may be on the button here. With my joystick calibrated and centred, I see that I have some aileron for right bank on my wings. If I give a small push to the left, the ailerons neutralise and the banking stops. Unfortunately however mine is consistent, restarting the game and pc doesn't help at all. Do you think it may be the Logitek Extreme 3D Pro joystick being incompatible?

Steve
    No, you should be fine with that joystick. 2 Things:

-Could you maybe post 2 Screenshots of your ailerons? I am looking forward to seeing it!

- Try setting up a minimal deadzone in the middle... probably 10% at maximum. I remember that I fixed it that way...

If that solves the problem, your complaint will be the key to solving a hughe problem. We really had a lot of people complaining about the really strong rolling, but the community always was like "no, it is realistic, it is how it is..." (which to some degree is true). But as I experienced the way too strong rolling out of a sudden myself, I fear that many of these complaints were justified and the community was wrong with helping...
    Last edited by Continu0; Nov-29-2015 at 17:17.
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

OK here we have the left and right wings, it's only a slight deflection of the ailerons but most easily seen on the right wing with that aileron slightly up - but it's enough to cause quite a heavy right roll. When I get a chance, perhaps tomorrow, I'll try and record a short screen capture video. I've set my dead zone on the stick up to 30% but it has no effect on this issue.

ailerons.jpg

No, you should be fine with that joystick. 2 Things:

-Could you maybe post 2 Screenshots of your ailerons? I am looking forward to seeing it!

- Try setting up a minimal deadzone in the middle... probably 10% at maximum. I remember that I fixed it that way...

If that solves the problem, your complaint will be the key to solving a hughe problem. We really had a lot of people complaining about the really strong rolling, but the community always was like "no, it is realistic, it is how it is..." (which to some degree is true). But as I experienced the way too strong rolling out of a sudden myself, I fear that many of these complaints were justified and the community was wrong with helping...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

OK here we have the left and right wings, it's only a slight deflection of the ailerons but most easily seen on the right wing with that aileron slightly up - but it's enough to cause quite a heavy right roll. When I get a chance, perhaps tomorrow, I'll try and record a short screen capture video. I've set my dead zone on the stick up to 30% but it has no effect on this issue.

ailerons.jpg
    Where did you set up the deadzone? Ingame or in the stick-drivers?

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've tried both. I'll check it again but as far as I remember the dead zone made absolutely no difference even with values as high as 30%. It's as if the game is reading a different 0 point for the joystick.

Where did you set up the deadzone? Ingame or in the stick-drivers?
    Last edited by scpelly; Nov-30-2015 at 03:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've tried both. I'll check it again but as far as I remember the dead zone made absolutely no difference even with values as high as 30%. It's as if the game is reading a different 0 point for the joystick.
    But can you feel the deadzone? I mean if you set up 30%, 30% of your axis should be empty, meaning that you really have to push the joystick to have any effect at all... do you feel that?

Btw. thx for the screenshots, your ailerons really seem to be off...

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yep, I can feel the dead zone - in fact it makes things worse because I need a larger input before I can begin to correct the roll to the right. Here's something else that may help you - I unplugged the joystick and restarted the game - I get the exact same thing. If you guys can solve this problem that would be wonderful!

But can you feel the deadzone? I mean if you set up 30%, 30% of your axis should be empty, meaning that you really have to push the joystick to have any effect at all... do you feel that?

Btw. thx for the screenshots, your ailerons really seem to be off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Do you have rudder pedals, a gamepad, anything else plugged in?
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

Hi Steve

You may have the axis of your joystick assigned to the roll off-centered. There is a calibration software for joysticks and other hardware axes called DIView. It´s a lot of better than the Windows utility and much more precise and easier to check and get your hardware calibrated. Here is a link to download DIView --> DIView.zip

And a video tutorial on how to use it.

Hope this helps
    Regards Kelso
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 4.2 GHz OC, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-D3H, RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel,
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070, Joystick: T16000M, Throttle: Thrustmaster TWCS, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, OS: Windows 10 64 bits

21. Likes No.119_Viper (VK-S) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

hey

Btw. do you have that in other games too, or just in cliffs? Because if other games work fine, it is just not the joystick but cliffs!

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

CLIFFS OF DOVER is a historically based Simulation.

For that reason we do not make changes to aircraft which are not historical.

The historical Spitfire and Hurricane did not have aileron trim, and we will not incorporate it in the game.

Re. how the default trim is set:

Based on research, we determined historical cruise speed and rpm/throttle settings, and set the aileron trim to allow the aircraft to be in trim at that point.

24. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

BTW - Looks that G-50 have more trim that should.

26. Likes ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Its just in Cliffs. I also fly the P51 in DCS and that is fine. Rise of flight is also fine.

hey

Btw. do you have that in other games too, or just in cliffs? Because if other games work fine, it is just not the joystick but cliffs!

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Buzzsaw, if this is the case please explain to me why my aircraft rolls to the right and not to the left, as would be expected?

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    CLIFFS OF DOVER is a historically based Simulation.

The historical Spitfire and Hurricane did not have aileron trim, and we will not incorporate it in the game.

Re. how the default trim is set:

Based on research, we determined historical cruise speed and rpm/throttle settings, and set the aileron trim to allow the aircraft to be in trim at that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Buzzsaw, if this is the case please explain to me why my aircraft rolls to the right and not to the left, as would be expected?
    Spitfires do not only roll to the right - it depends on your speed.......

30. Likes ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just to be clear this is exactly what is happening:

With gyroscopic effects turned on:
    At engine idle, very strong roll to the right
    At medium throttle, rolls to the right
    At full throttle, more gentle roll to the right (surely this should be left?)

With gyroscopic effects turned off:
    Strong roll to the right

Joystick works fine in Rise of flight, and flying the P51 in DCS

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Dave View Post
    Spitfires do not only roll to the right - it depends on your speed.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    292.62 MB

Just to be clear this is exactly what is happening:

With gyroscopic effects turned on:
    At engine idle, very strong roll to the right
    At medium throttle, rolls to the right
    At full throttle, more gentle roll to the right (surely this should be left?)

With gyroscopic effects turned off:
    Strong roll to the right

Joystick works fine in Rise of flight, and flying the P51 in DCS
    Hi scpelly,

Assuming that your joystick is actually properly calibrated and is not giving any input roll in the center position, the ailerons should be aligned with the wings.
    Please try the following to troubleshoot the issue:

Go to the game Options/Realism, untick the following options to set them off:

Engines
    -Complex Engine Management
    -Engine Temperature Effects

Atmosphere and Handling
    -Wind and turbulence
    -Flutter Effects
    -Torque and Gyro Effects
    -Stalls and Spins

-Make sure that the Anthropomorphic Control is untick, off.

Get into your favorite single engine fighter plane, take off and fly around. Before take off check your ailerons position, joystick neutral the ailerons should be aligned with wing, no roll input.
    Go back to the game Options/Realism and set the previous options back to on except the Anthropomorphic Control, it should be off all the time. Jump again into your single engine plane and test again.
    CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K 4.2 GHz OC, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-D3H, RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel,
    Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1070, Joystick: T16000M, Throttle: Thrustmaster TWCS, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals, OS: Windows 10 64 bits

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    591.81 MB

Try setting the sensitivity for x, and y axis to zero from in game options....I have found that the aircraft is very responsive to your joystick inputs when you set the sensitivity to zero.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Hi Steve. I'm not going to say it isn't possible but you sort of answered your own question with "I know these planes didn't have aileron trim in real life".

Team Fusion have a huge list of things to fix, create, update, improve and add BUT this is a Flight Simulator and as such the aircraft and features are designed to be historic (as much as possible) and if an aircraft didn't have trim then that's exactly how it's modelled. Moving forward in real life aircraft for WW2, it was realised trim was important, that's why new aircraft had that feature included.

We are building new aircraft and as such these will include the features they had in real life, but adding features to aircraft to make them.easier to.fly isn't what a Simulation is about, it's about simulating the difficulty had by the fledgling aviators of WW2 and as such this isn't a bug but a simulated feature.

Sorry to be negative but it's better to be honest than raise false hope for an historical inaccurate feature.

Cheers, MP
    That's not negative! That's the reason we enjoy CLoD so much... Realism!
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

35. Likes JG27-Gaidin, Stormrider, ATAG_TCP liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    That's not negative! That's the reason we enjoy CLoD so much... Realism!
    For my part - that's why I don't enjoy CLoD at all. There are options to switch off just about any other realism feature, including torque effects, but this one - that clearly annoys a lot of potential users - is apparently a 'realism' feature that is too important to sacrifice for the sake of playability.

I have no right to demand a fix, of course. If this is how you feel it should be - that's fine. To me, this single issue is the deal breaker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    220.96 MB

Please check out your callibration, for general controllers on W7 go to your device, right mouse then controller settings and open your callibration with control + shift + left mouse at properties and recalibrate it there if it is off.

To fly hands free, fly as slow and center your "ball" with rudder (important to stop slip an roll too!) until your handsfree with your power settings. Your gonna need to climb anyway.
    If it's still a problem you might get an weaker stick or take out the spring.
    Last edited by Tibsun; Sep-01-2016 at 02:28.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by arnesw View Post
    For my part - that's why I don't enjoy CLoD at all. There are options to switch off just about any other realism feature, including torque effects, but this one - that clearly annoys a lot of potential users - is apparently a 'realism' feature that is too important to sacrifice for the sake of playability.

I have no right to demand a fix, of course. If this is how you feel it should be - that's fine. To me, this single issue is the deal breaker.
    There is a flip side to that story. While I accept what you say broadens the player base for offline play, it's the difficulty online, which levels the playing field in multiplayer that keeps me there. Every aircraft has its own nuances. Every player has to deal with and learn from them, using their strengths and avoiding their weaknesses. As a result, there a players I fear, not because they are better than me, but because they know their aircraft and its strengths better than I know my own. This challenge inspires me to learn more and continually seek to best my previous efforts. Some I may never beat and in that I shall always have a game with an element of fear in the air. All those little settings add up to my gaming experience and keeps me coming back.

I know there are players that will only ever play offline. Often, I see other offline pilots posts which say, I am not ready yet for online play. If the options are there which allow easy play, many will never challenge themselves to be better than they have to be for AI aircraft. Improvement through adversity, sounds good to me.

Hope you take the plunge and join us online.
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast