Thread: Mod Installer crashes - unable to install

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Mod Installer crashes - unable to install

I'm trying to install TF patches on IL2 CloD and am having some troubles with the installer(s) - it crashes right after running it.

The weird thing here is.... I used to have TF patches happily running in my IL2 CloD!

Some 18 months ago I had a catastrophe with hardware in my system -motherboard and HDD went 'kaput'- and so I had to reformat OS all over again (no image backup, etc).
    Obviously, this wasn't caused by IL2 CloD or TF patches by any means.

After getting the hardware replacement parts, I went with the same OS as before (Win7 64 Pro SP1).
    The difference here is that the old system had an older version of Win7 64 Pro which had SP1 update added sometime later, along with every single Windows update existent untill the date of its "death".
    For this new system the same OS was used but with SP1 already built-in, and I've decided not to go through the endless installation of Windows updates (when I had them installed I noticed impact in resources, plus slower system response).

So, for the current system, the only Windows 7 updates I have currently installed are:

• Corrections for MS Windows - KB2646060
    • Corrections for MS Windows - KB2645594
    • KB958488 (related with NETFramework 4, I think?)
    • Corrections for MS Windows - KB976902

The system has been running like a clock ever since. No problems whatsoever so far, clean as a whistle.
    All the games that were reinstalled run great - that also includes IL2 Clod in "vanilla" state (non modded), which is up-to-date and has been running just fine.

As said, the problem here is with installing the TF patches - the installer crashes right after running it. That crash is always followed by the following windows box:

Assinatura do problema:

Nome do Evento de Problema: CLR20r3
    Assinatura do Problema 01: Mod Installer.exe
    Assinatura do Problema 02: 1.0.0.0
    Assinatura do Problema 03: 5143a751
    Assinatura do Problema 04: Mod Installer
    Assinatura do Problema 05: 1.0.0.0
    Assinatura do Problema 06: 5143a751
    Assinatura do Problema 07: 39e
    Assinatura do Problema 08: d
    Assinatura do Problema 09: System.NullReferenceException
    Versão do SO: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    ID de Região: 2070
    Informações Adicionais 1: 0a9e
    Informações Adicionais 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Informações Adicionais 3: 0a9e
    Informações Adicionais 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    (sorry, it's in Portuguese but I presume the relevant bits for those in the know will be understood)

I went ahead on my own trying a few things, see if I can go around this problem with the TF-patches installers.....

• Tried to run the TeamFusion installer(s) also "as administrator".

• Disabled Anti-Virus (Avast 2015)

• Checked the "Windows Communication Foundation HTTP Activation" and "Windows Communication Foundation Non-HTTP Activation" boxes in the control panel for "enable/disable Windows Features".

• (Re)installed Microsoft .NET Framework
      - version 1.1 (needed for some older audio-editor software)
      - version 4.6.1 (which, as far as I know, is a cumulative package from NET 3.5 upto NET 4.6.1)
      (NOTE: the "redist" folder in the Steam IL2 CloD folder has the .NET Framework 4 executable in it. I already have .NET Framework 4.6.1 so can't install it)

• (Re)installed Microsoft Visual C++
      - versions 2005, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015 (x86 and x64, "All in One" installer)

• Disabled (Uninstalled) Windows7 Update KB2670838

• Enabled and Disabled Windows Media Center (trying both ways just in case, as I've seen some mentions that CLR20r3 errors could be related to it)

....but nothing seems to work. :-(
    The installers (for any of the TF patches) still crash the same way.

They're also the only issue I recall having with anything I've tried to install in this newer system.

As said, the old system (which had the TF Patches installed) and the newer system are virtually the exact same thing (same hardware, OS, even the same programs/software and games are installed).
    The only differences between them that I can think of are the graphics drivers (newer ones in the current system), a couple of new games installed, and the MS windows updates(?) that were not installed in the newer system.
    ......could the MS windows updates be it?

I do not wish to go through the bothersome task (and lottery results) of installing the MS windows updates.
    Any other solutions or suggestions are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by LucShep; Jan-15-2016 at 15:40.
    PC SYSTEM - OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: Intel W3690 (6c/12t) @4.5GHz | RAM: 20GB DDR3 1866MHz | GPU: RX 5700 XT 8GB | STORAGE: 2x 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD | MONITOR: 32'' 1080P 75Hz/60Hz LG 32ML600M-B | CONTROLS: Saitek X52 Pro + TrackHat (w/OpenTrack)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Mod Installer crashes - unable to install

Do you have steam installed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Not sure how that could relate with an installer of a mod(???) which worked fine in older system without it but, no, I don't seem to have it installed atm.
    (I never used steam overlay to run games - IL2 CloD is ran directly from the 'Launcher.exe')
    PC SYSTEM - OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: Intel W3690 (6c/12t) @4.5GHz | RAM: 20GB DDR3 1866MHz | GPU: RX 5700 XT 8GB | STORAGE: 2x 500GB SSD + 1TB HDD | MONITOR: 32'' 1080P 75Hz/60Hz LG 32ML600M-B | CONTROLS: Saitek X52 Pro + TrackHat (w/OpenTrack)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Looking at the event viewer of Windows (attached pic) it seems to be related with NETFramework4.0...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LucShep; Jan-15-2016 at 16:29.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I'm really not qualified to help, but in your il2 cod instal directory there is a folder called 'redist'.
    It wont hurt to run those exe files and try again with the update.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    I'm really not qualified to help, but in your il2 cod instal directory there is a folder called 'redist'.
    It wont hurt to run those exe files and try again with the update.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

I did try that before and was unable since I have a newer version of .NET.
    But this time I uninstalled .NET4.6.1, rebooted and installed the one provided with the game (dotNetFx40_Client_x86_x64).
    ...rebooted, tried again running the TF patches.... same thing, same installer crash.

Can't remember ever having any issues like this, I'm getting out of ideas at this point.

I'm reading about a few people mentioning similar issues and fixing it by reinstalling the OS(??), which IMO is absurd - as much as I'd love to get CloD patched with TF goodness!

My request, at this point, to the talented Team Fusion gang is to, please (please, please!) reconsider a different/alternative language/code/method for a less troublesome installer in your next (cumulative?) patch.*

- - - -
    * PS: for this, we have a very good guy in the mod-team I colaborate with, who has done wonders with a pretty complex installation of files (including renaming/deleting/repacking files inside the game's own packages). All I know is that it works with Nullsoft Install System, uses 7Zip compression (I think), among other black magic stuff that only you experts understand. If you ever wish to contact the man, send me a PM. I'll gladly put you in contact.
    Last edited by LucShep; Jan-15-2016 at 19:03.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I agree, reinstalling the OS is absurd in the extreme and most likely not the right solution by any measure.

The steam issue bothers me, because everyone has to use steam to play online, fact!

If youhave the patches from TF handy, if I were, you, I would instal the vanilla game, with steam.\, or from the disc, both you need steam.
    Then follow Lewis's guide to patch.

Important to note that after a fresh instal its best to turn off the steam game synch for IL2 or else it keeps trying to rewrite the files back to original.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Jan-15-2016 at 19:07.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Patching
    Great video by Phil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

FWIW, I'm not interested in multiplayer whatsoever (done that to death in the early noughties, the squadron thing included, with the old WarbirdsIII and IL2).
    I'm strictly an offline player at this point - I have erratic hours per week to dedicate to this, so I much prefer to be doing it in my own terms.
    I'm well aware that BOB2-Wings of Victory is a much, much better proposition for this (and still love it after all these years) but I've been (again) slowly transitioning and savoring other (better) aspects of CloD in the latest months.
    Couple of years back, I remember the TF patches made things much better for what was a troubled game-title, but also made some things worse (IMO). I've been out of the CloD loop since (other cfs were kept in use), hence why only now I've considered to reinstall them again (also interested in Redux campaigns).

The game ("vanilla", no mods) runs fine. Peripherals work fine. Whole system works fine. It's only the TF installers that DO NOT work... when they once did.

Along with a few other titles (like ArmA series), CloD was reinstalled and updated to v1.11.20362 over a year ago (but not modified). Steam was uninstalled right after that (I strongly dislike it, really).
    I'll be bothering later with reinstalling it again and repeat the whole process of game installation, updating and (re)configuring, plus TF patches atempt, if only driven by curiosity.
    Yet, I'm still not understanding why in the world would a third party program (like Steam, or other) interfere -in any manner- with a mod installer, which ran just fine in, virtually, the same freakin exact scenario as the one it's failing to work with right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Patching
    Great video by Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryg9-6iD74s
    Many thanks.
    As said, will be troubled with all that again later.
    Still, I can't for the life of me understand what would that have to do with the installers crashing righ after double clicking them(?).
    Seems more like a curious case of relation with Windows-updates and/or .NET Framework.
    Last edited by LucShep; Jan-15-2016 at 22:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

?
    Sorry, but I believe you missed my reply above. Quoting:

Quote Originally Posted by LucShep View Post
    Not sure how that could relate with an installer of a mod(???) which worked fine in older system without it but, no, I don't seem to have it installed atm.
    (I never used steam overlay to run games - IL2 CloD is ran directly from the 'Launcher.exe')
    - - -

Anyway, I was going to go through all the effort with reinstalling (both Steam and the game, plus updating), believing I may have missed a newer patch or something since last time around it last year.
    And, well, turns out that I already had the game with all the latest patches (v1.11.20362). So that wasn't the problem.

The errors with the installers still persist, doesn't matter what I do.
    It is NOT related with Steam. It is somehow related to MS Windows (updates and/or .NET).

And so there I was about to quit it altogether... untill I started wondering about decompressing the installers content directly (old fashion way).

It was actually too easy to do it (won't get into details here, out of respect for the TF gang).
    But, resuming, I decompressed the content of each installer into respective separate folders, and then, as advised in the TF installation guides, placed the resultant extracted content of each patch into the main game folder, all in order, running the game between each one.

And, voilá... rock on TF 4.312 ! (see attached pic)

To close the case (I type too much!), and even if it wasn't the best solution as the installer problems still persist, it had a successfull, happy ending.

Cheers!

PS: It is a much bigger difference over vanilla CLoD than I recalled (for the better), although a lot still remains just as I remember when I had TF running a couple of years ago (I believe at the time v4.0 was the latest TF patch).
    TBH, I'm still not sure about some details in TF, namely some sounds accuracy (of engines and weapons) for which I'm really sensitive (my background with racing-sim games audio-design also doesn't help).
    The AI still needs to be toned down (they fly too perfect, too difficult to out-turn, IMO). Taxiing and taking off seems a tad too hard, but it may be matter of practice.
    The way some of the warbirds constantly require correction to go straight (Hurricane, for instances) I presume it to be realistic following data, literature and reports from pilots, but it seems overdone (IMO).

But this is a constant work in progress, afterall. Really, this is what CloD should have been at release (such a shame it went the way it was back then!).
    I'm sure that with the TF team persisting with the passion and devotion to this, it will only get things better (even better, that is).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LucShep; Jan-16-2016 at 01:40.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    607.67 MB

Welcome to TF mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Sorry, but I believe you missed my reply above. Quoting:
    Funny how one tries to help people and get this as a reply "Even though you created the installer, I will ignore what you are telling me and keep asking the same question over and over."
    I'll go back to my cave now thinking about making TF5 not run with steam workarounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Funny how one tries to help people and get this as a reply "Even though you created the installer, I will ignore what you are telling me and keep asking the same question over and over."
    I'll go back to my cave now thinking about making TF5 not run with steam workarounds.
    I beg your pardon?

First, I have no idea who you are.
    Second, I did reply to your absolutely vague, unrelated question. Twice.

If you go to an official workshop asking the mechanics there for help, for a car with an engine that doesn't start, I don't think you'll be nicely impressed if they ask you "do you have leather seats installed in your car?"
    That's how your question sounded to me (and still does).

If there's the need to have steam installed or running, then might as well get to the point, explain and extend that in your question, for it to have a meaning.

Check above the replies by Vlerkies - the man was helpfull in his replies. Straight to the point, with comprehensible advice.
    You weren't. Work on that attitude, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I beg your pardon?
    You are pardoned.