Thread: Hello from California

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.67 MB

Post Hello from California

Greetings everyone! Just picked up the game yesterday after deciding to take the plunge back into the world of combat flight sims. I haven't taken to the skies in anger since the days of Aces over the Pacific/Europe and European Air War. Took a long break from combat and spent countless hours crisscrossing the skies in FS9 only to have my love for WW2 aviation reawakened by War Thunder.

I'm still working on getting the game setup and waiting for my new stick, but I wanted to introduce myself. I've found plenty of great information on the forums already and look forward to taking to the skies, assuming I make it off the ground!

Bruce

Supporting Member III./ZG76_Saipan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.0 KB

Re: Hello from California

hi...make sure you get all the mods...essential. make sure you get on ts also.
    ASUS Z370-A, i5 8600k, CM haf-x, EVGA gtx 1660 Ti SC ACX, Antec HC 850, Samsung 120GB SSD , WD Black 1TB, Corsair GSkill 16GB, Creative SB Recon, Creative G500 5.1, ASUS VS248h-P
    Me-110 Black 17 with Hptmn. Hans "AWAC" Warsteiner
    :
    Trust me , I fly a Bf 110 (C2-->C7)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the community and forums Noose...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little....

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact Spotting Test

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

and Please take a moment to let us know how you came to find CLOD so as we get an idea of what we can do to get the word out there in a bigger way.

How Did You Find CLOD?

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

4. Likes Noose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.67 MB

Thank you both! I've successfully patched the game with the TF mods. Still have to configure the settings and key bindings, but I should have my new stick by the end of the week and aiming to take some test flights over the weekend.

I'm looking to try the red side first. Any recommendations on which plane I should start with?

ASUS P8Z68-V LE - i5 2500k @ 3.3GHZ overclocked to 4.3GHZ - MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 760 OC - 8GB RAM (@1333mhz)
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Version - Thrustmaster T16000M - Track IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Noose View Post
    Thank you both! I've successfully patched the game with the TF mods. Still have to configure the settings and key bindings, but I should have my new stick by the end of the week and aiming to take some test flights over the weekend.

I'm looking to try the red side first. Any recommendations on which plane I should start with?
    Spitfire is overall the better fighter than the Hurricane... with superior climb, speed and altitude performance.

Of the Spits, the Spit IIA is the easiest to fly without worrying too much about overheating or overstraining your engine.

Spits are harder to take off in and land though... narrow undercarriage means they can easily over balance and tip over.

Hurricane is easier to land and take off, and its guns are grouped more tightly so if you can get saddled up behind a target, you will be more likely to do damage. But speed and climb deficit is a definite handcap.

Don't forget to check the TF Wiki page for the Flight Manuals:

http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...flight_manuals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Don't forget that you can fly ingame with a USA Spitfire Skin on any Spits....

USA Spitfire Skin "Buckeye Don"

Bear in mind that only you will see it in the ATAG server as we do not have skins enabled....but it will show up for you and on any movies you upload...

~S~
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Feb-10-2016 at 09:49.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

8. Likes Noose liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Hey Noose

Spits are a nuisance to take off in compared to the Hurri but thats the price for all the additional performance if you do get up. The windscreen is also quite obstructive until you are used to it. Spit IIas however never stop rolling so its best to have the feather prop and (more importantly) fuel cock one controls mapped to somewhere convenient. They can also be difficult to restart if you botch the initial procedure for some reason (even with a feathered prop).

Lots of info on getting off the ground in a spitty on line but for me i find putting right tim onto the rudder (even full trim, superstition dictates 14 clicks for me and i have no ideal how much this is), 2 or three additional clicks down on the elevators and not throttling up past 60% until your tailwheel is off the ground helps to save much embarrassment.

Additionally its always good practice to note the direction of wind even if you are taking off into the yellow boards. Speaking of which.............in a spitty, in crosswind, these are your friend until you are fully familiar with the thing.

Running at 80 prop, 100 Rad and 110 Throttle seems to be a good fire and forget setting below 15000ft whilst 100 all round seems to work above 17000ft. Closing down to 65 rad in a long straight pursuit may also help you keep in touch but you'll no doubt find what rad setting you can get away with as you fly.

Finally toggling the spits quick deploying flaps and upping the prop to 100% and using the trottle can also be a godsend if you find yourself in a slow turning fight with a 109 or stuka (hateful things and over enhanced currently). The snap in/out arrangement gives a novice (like me) much less to consider over the hurri's down/neutral/up toggle cycle and the 109s constant cranking.

But thats all Bye the bye. Best thing you can do is follow Lew's guide, gen up a bit using Chuck Owls guide and get on line with your TS on - we dont bite (although be occasionally burp later in the evening).

<S!>
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.67 MB

Thanks for the download on the Red options. I remember reading about the IIa's inability to stop upon landing using the brakes. That's enough to scare me away for now, unless I resort to CFIT landings.

What about the Mk.1 Spits? Are the 1 and 1a all that different?

ASUS P8Z68-V LE - i5 2500k @ 3.3GHZ overclocked to 4.3GHZ - MSI NVidia GeForce GTX 760 OC - 8GB RAM (@1333mhz)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Thanks for the download on the Red options. I remember reading about the IIa's inability to stop upon landing using the brakes. That's enough to scare me away for now, unless I resort to CFIT landings.

What about the Mk.1 Spits? Are the 1 and 1a all that different?
    Hi Noose the "A" mean that you have a constant speed prop system instead of a variable speed prop. In other word with the A you set the rpm at say 2700 and it will maintain it.

o7
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

to add (pointlessly)............ the Mk1 is the original GT40 whos purist owners will tell you is the better stripped out lightweight streetfighter that takes a REAL man to fly.

The MK1a is the rehashed GT40 from a few years back whos owners enjoy their superior in car entertainment and semi-automatic gearbox whilst regularly passing broken down, smoking MK1s at the side of the highway...

The Mk11 is a Mk1a fitted with a Toyota's accelerator pedal......

Easiest way to set the RPM on the Mk1as is with the throttle at 100 and the prop near 80% (i think its 79% but whats a percentile?) - that should give you 2760rpm or thereabouts without fear of increasing the revs with accidental knocking of the throttle or boost.

if you have multiple monitors you can download and use a virtual cockpit with warning sounds to remind you to do things also. MFDs and glass cockpits were a very common feature in WW2 aircraft..............as was HOTAS....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

13. Likes Noose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.67 MB

Thanks again everyone! I got some solo stick time in off and on the past few days in the Mk1A. Got takeoffs down for the most part, it's the landings that are giving me trouble now! Baby steps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Thanks again everyone! I got some solo stick time in off and on the past few days in the Mk1A. Got takeoffs down for the most part, it's the landings that are giving me trouble now! Baby steps...
    Landing problems in the Spitfire are usually a function of the player coming in with too much speed. Many players think they need to be going a lot faster to avoid a stall, but a Spit with flaps down has a very low stall speed as long as the wings are level.

You control your direction with the rudder when you are on the ground.

Checklist:

-Slow to 160 mph
    -Flaps down
    -gear down
    -trim nose up several degrees
    -prop pitch to 100%, throttle is adjusted for speed
    -approach speed is 120 mph, altitude is 500 ft, glide descent is gentle
    -when you cross the threshold, ie. when your plane passes over the boundary of the airfield, you should be at 100 mph
    -when you touch you should be at 80-90 mph, tires just off the ground... reduce throttle to zero, BUT there should not be a big drop onto the runway.
    -keep yourself tracking straight with the rudder
    -don't brake till you are rolling on both wheels, and tracking straight, and don't brake hard... just gentle touches. Stick back once you are down.
    -maintain a straight path on the runway till you have slowed to walking pace... then you can gently apply rudder to turn off the runway.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Feb-15-2016 at 00:33.

16. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.67 MB

Buzzsaw,

Thanks for the tips on landing! I can definitely say that I've been too fast, too slow, too low, and too high, i.e. non-stable approaches. At first I was generally disoriented in trying to locate the field, but generally that got easier. Working on a stable approach would be next, and your checklist is a big help to have available. I actually had a pretty good approach going towards the end of the day yesterday only for the server to dump me about a half mile short!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

I'm sure you'll get it... matter of practice makes perfect.

By the way, in case I didn't make it clear re. altitude... starting altitude is 500 ft... starting about a kilometer away from the field and followed by a gentle descent towards the runway.

When you get a little more experienced, you can get away with a sharper curving descent with a sideslip to burn off speed, into a quick flare, but to start, a straight and level approach is probably the best.

And every prangs a landing every once in a while... including yours truly... especially when out of practice.

Buzzsaw,

Thanks for the tips on landing! I can definitely say that I've been too fast, too slow, too low, and too high, i.e. non-stable approaches. At first I was generally disoriented in trying to locate the field, but generally that got easier. Working on a stable approach would be next, and your checklist is a big help to have available. I actually had a pretty good approach going towards the end of the day yesterday only for the server to dump me about a half mile short!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

I'm sure you'll get it... matter of practice makes perfect.

By the way, in case I didn't make it clear re. altitude... starting altitude is 500 ft... starting about a kilometer away from the field and followed by a gentle descent towards the runway.

When you get a little more experienced, you can get away with a sharper curving descent with a sideslip to burn off speed, into a quick flare, but to start, a straight and level approach is probably the best.

The reason prop pitch is set to 100% is to allow recovery if you need to abort the landing, and go around again... 100% pitch gives you the thrust you need, a lower pitch setting won't do it. Higher prop pitch also increases drag when at low throttle... allows you to slow down.

And every prangs a landing every once in a while... including yours truly... especially when out of practice.

Buzzsaw,

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Landing and taking off is a small part of this sim.....Getting stuck into the enemy is where the fun is.....Shoot them and bomb them...lol....I mean landing and losing your wheels is a landing....'Any landing you can still walk away from' right?...Go getem Floyd!