Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ok, so here's a little extra: Oculus Rift for CoD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Ok, so here's a little extra: Oculus Rift for CoD

Hi all,

A little update which will only interest current and future owners of an Oculus rift.
    TF has made OR work with Cliffs. There are still a few caveats (listed bellow) but for what is worth, it is working.

Full size image: Bigger

Here's a little demo (sorry, can't make a video because of the way it works) of how it looks ingame. To see it you will need Firefox (I think Chrome also works) and your VR viewer. I've tested it only with OR but it is supposed to work with cardboard and whatnot.

Demo Here

There are 5 images. Use the arrows to move to the next/previous. If you want to see the images directly, here they are:
    First, Second, Third,Fourth,Fifth

Now the caveats:
    1.- The 2d things like map, chat etc, are hard to read. Because of how they are rendered, when you move your head the windows move with you so if the map is at the left of your viewing area, it will always be there. The solution is centering it but you also have to view it with one eye as the 3D effect doesn't work well.
    2.- Originally buildings where rendering in one eye only. This was fixed but, of course, it means double the rendering stress and lower FPS.
    3.- Aiming is hard. Changing focus from instruments (close) to gunsight (far) takes some time to get used to. Also, because of the reflector size, the gunsight is only shown fully on one eye at the time. If anyone has documentation on this, it would be appreciated as it feels weird.
    4.- Spotting distant planes is harder. Even though the "single pixel" far contact can be seen for miles, the "screen door" effect makes them harder to spot. Also identifying closer contacts is harder because of the OR resolution. In any case, the zoom helps with both issues but keep in mind that zooming is not supposed to be done with VR so don't try to look at the instruments when zoomed as you will feel like when looking at something really close where each eye sees something completely different
    5.- FPS is and is not an issue. Yes, higher FPS gives a smoother feeling but, thanks to the OR timewarp, one can be on the deck, over London with 13 FPS and not get seasick.
    Sidenote: is funny how the timewarp works. You need to send 90fps to the OR for it to work but it is supposed to be there to help when lower FPS so as always with modding liffs, a trick had to be done

All that said, it feels great to be inside the cockpit!

All the above means that there's a 90% probability OR support will be included in TF5.0

PS: For those wondering and without going into much details, no, it was not even close to easy to do and yes, it required making Cliffs work with DX11.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: Added 2 more images. 1 over london, 1 with contacts right in front.

And always nice to see appreciation from the Facebook page and one particular follower

Untitled-1.jpg
    Last edited by Mysticpuma; Feb-22-2016 at 13:40.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Re: Ok, so here's a little extra

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Hi all,

PS: For those wondering and without going into much details, no, it was not even close to easy to do and yes, it required making Cliffs work with DX11.

Amazeballs!!!!!

(Never suspected I would use that vernacula but it seems entirely appropriate!)
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.07 MB

Amazing work Colander!

What you are able to do with coding never stops amazing me and the rest of us!

4. Likes ATAG_Snapper, Stormrider liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Fantastic!

Having ordered the CV1 and with flightsims as a long time interest this is really exciting! DCS would be what I realized I would use it with, and DCS is a great sim - but my favourite is clearly Clod. If it would be possible to fly around in Tiger Moths, Spits, Hurricanes and 109s just enjoying the views from inside the cockpits - Wow...
    For me, if combat would have to wait for CV2 so be it. That's icing on the cake.

Even timewarp... Hoping for the best in the challenges of realization and that the problem solving is fun and not always frustrating =)

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    806.84 MB

You are amazing, Colander!!!

Thank you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    49.77 MB

Hi all,

A little update which will only interest current and future owners of an Oculus rift.
    TF has made OR work with Cliffs. There are still a few caveats (listed bellow) but for what is worth, it is working.

Full size image: Bigger

Here's a little demo (sorry, can't make a video because of the way it works) of how it looks ingame. To see it you will need Firefox (I think Chrome also works) and your VR viewer. I've tested it only with OR but it is supposed to work with cardboard and whatnot.

Demo Here

There are 3 images. Use the arrows to move to the next/previous. If you want to see the images directly, here they are:
    First, Second, Third

Now the caveats:
    1.- The 2d things like map, chat etc, are hard to read. Because of how they are rendered, when you move your head the windows move with you so if the map is at the left of your viewing area, it will always be there. The solution is centering it but you also have to view it with one eye as the 3D effect doesn't work well.
    2.- Originally buildings where rendering in one eye only. This was fixed but, of course, it means double the rendering stress and lower FPS.
    3.- Aiming is hard. Changing focus from instruments (close) to gunsight (far) takes some time to get used to. Also, because of the reflector size, the gunsight is only shown fully on one eye at the time. If anyone has documentation on this, it would be appreciated as it feels weird.
    4.- Spotting distant planes is harder. Even though the "single pixel" far contact can be seen for miles, the "screen door" effect makes them harder to spot. Also identifying closer contacts is harder because of the OR resolution. In any case, the zoom helps with both issues but keep in mind that zooming is not supposed to be done with VR so don't try to look at the instruments when zoomed as you will feel like when looking at something really close where each eye sees something completely different
    5.- FPS is and is not an issue. Yes, higher FPS gives a smoother feeling but, thanks to the OR timewarp, one can be on the deck, over London with 13 FPS and not get seasick.
    Sidenote: is funny how the timewarp works. You need to send 90fps to the OR for it to work but it is supposed to be there to help when lower FPS so as always with modding liffs, a trick had to be done

All that said, it feels great to be inside the cockpit!

All the above means that there's a 90% probability OR support will be included in TF5.0

Holy shit! Best news ever!
    I tried to make cliffs in 3D work a while back but gave up on it, since my expertise in shaders etc was very limited.
    To this topic get some fresh wind is amazing!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    ASUS Maximus VII HERO, i7 4790k@4GHz, eVGA GTX 980SC, 650W be quiet! Dark Power pro 10, 128GB SSD Samsung 850 pro

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.26 MB

I belive that the Oculus rift will become the new Track IR in a couple of years for the Flight Sim community

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I will second the above statement. Holy Smokes. Best news ever. ...and the last sentence at the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

All hail the holy kitchen sieve!

While I understand that this is great news for future Oculus-Owners, I have a question which might be of interest for the poorer amongst us...
    Might it be possible that non-OR-users will profit from the game running on DX11 as well? FPS-wise? Could it even be a break-trough for futher developing the game engine?

As I have no idea how DX (and all the related stuff) even works, I really wonder what it means that the game now can run on DX11...
    MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Great work Colander!

Of course, everyone will need to understand there is a downside...

With VR active, this means the 3D cockpit models now have to be made even more precisely... and the old models will need re-working... which requires more time.

So everyone needs to be patient.

12. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, ATAG_Lewis, ATAG_Flare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Re: Ok, so here's a little extra: Oculus Rift for CoD

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

Thank's for all your hard work man

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is even better news than I had even hoped for. . A big thank you to Colander, and Team Fusion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.2 KB

This is amazing news for the future of CloD, I was worried that it might get left behind if it didn't have VR support (as the technology is that much of a game changer), but now seemingly it's moving to the front of the pack!

Great work!
    M. J. Dixon

19RAF Squad Leader

Windows 10 Pro x64, i7-990x, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, 24GB RAM, 1920 x 1080 24", Oculus Rift CV1, Nvidia Driver 511.79

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
    All hail the holy kitchen sieve!

While I understand that this is great news for future Oculus-Owners, I have a question which might be of interest for the poorer amongst us...
    Might it be possible that non-OR-users will profit from the game running on DX11 as well? FPS-wise? Could it even be a break-trough for futher developing the game engine?

As I have no idea how DX (and all the related stuff) even works, I really wonder what it means that the game now can run on DX11...
    Nope, it gets no faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Has anyone with OR seen the images I posted?
    If you did, I'm wondering what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    191.25 MB

20. Likes ATAG_yotheguy, danperin, ATAG_Septic liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 MB

hey i have a working rift right now on clod "say that it is running at 4 fps because of a 780 but it is a proof of concept" it works. there are only some problems being it will not be as good as the tf one but it works right now.
    please let me know if you want a tutorial on how to make it work right now

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    42.93 MB

Has anyone with OR seen the images I posted?
    If you did, I'm wondering what you think.
    Hi Cool-ander,
    I did, by cross-eyeing. So, I got a good 3D-impression of the cockpits and - yes - it looks beauty full. The handles, wheels and the stick etc. really stand out. Especially the first pic looks impressive and gives an "real" feeling of altitude. When the last pic should be that one which shows contacts on the right, I can't see them at all, though :-(
    From what I can see, the resolution looks good, better than I expected, but I guess it might be different with the OR DK2 or CV1 on your head.

When I had my first peep with the DK1 I was deeply impressed by the feeling of immersion (and the feeling of motion sicknes and the poor flyscreen-display), but I had no hope to see it with Clod one day. I am very happy about your efforts and your successes to keep our dream alive - and to push it beyond Jupiter.....you rock!
    Last edited by Topgum; Feb-22-2016 at 08:59.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

thats not a little extra...its a huge step

Although I'm probably going to go for the HTC Vive over the oculus

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ush View Post
    thats not a little extra...its a huge step

The vive is shipping with tracked hand controllers (oculus ones are coming later this year) those controllers working in conjunction with the IL2 clickable cockpit...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by pccharlie View Post
    please let me know if you want a tutorial on how to make it work right now
    I would like to know how you got it working without DX11, integrated head tracking and timewarp but probably don't need a tutorial but just a 2 liner with the overall explanation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ush View Post
    Currently it only supports OR.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 MB

can i talk to you about it to you on ts as i am very bad at typing

Team Fusion
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wow, you guys never fail to amaze. It would be my dream ticket to use OR instead of sitting in front of a monitor. I designed my cockpit years ago so that everything could be operated by feel, so OR will be perfect. Thank you so much for your hard work.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Guys. Seriously. AWESOME!

Youll definately have me back as a player with that
    OR CV1 is already oin preorder and shippingdate is april
    Last edited by Winger; Feb-22-2016 at 13:12.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Is the HTC Vive a much different animal for implementation? Does anyone know?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    293.98 MB

~S~ Colander

Im assuming you snapped the pic into anaglyph for demonstration.
    Ive been flying anagliph for years in old il2 and rof, have never been able
    to inject drivers (iz3d, tridef, or fxaa, (with correct DX)) into Clod.

Can you giv any "simple" insight on the injection?

Mox

Sideline for anybody, If you want to "simply" experience 3d, grab the IZ3D, drivers, and a pair of
    red/blue glasses (make em with sharpies) and check out rof...works right out of the box. (a little different than il2,
    and old il2 in dx9 (not openg) will show what Colander is talking about graphical)
    http://iz3d.com/ Its fun! And will give you an idea of the future

(Please, not trying to hijack this thread)

Mox
    Last edited by Moxy; Feb-22-2016 at 14:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    ~S~ Colander

Im assuming you snapped the pic into anaglyph for demonstration.
    Ive been flying anagliph for years in old il2 and rof, have never been able
    to inject drivers (iz3d, tridef, or fxaa, (with correct DX)) into Clod.

Can you giv any "simple" insight on the injection?

Mox
    Is not an injection as you know it. There are many changes made to the game engine to make it work in DX11, render properly in 3D and use the head tracking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Hystix View Post
    Is the HTC Vive a much different animal for implementation? Does anyone know?
    I imagine it would be similar but:
    1.- TF does not have a Vive to test with.
    2.- Vive does not have the "time warp" so, due to the low FPS, you will experience nausea as soon as you move your head around.

About #2: I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement a hardcoded "time warp" as the idea behind it seems simple enough but for now is not in scope.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast