Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joystick Centre Tension....

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    351.60 MB

Re: Joystick Centre Tension....

This is a fascinating discussion - especially for someone new to the PC sim/gaming world (but experienced in real planes - including dogfighting in jets - and in military fighter sims). Some background - I'm not flying CLOD yet (waiting to build up a suitable PC to do it justice) but have been flying IL-2 for a while, and play around with sims like Condor, etc. My flying experience includes a career in the USAF as an F-4E WSO, and a second (current) career as a flight sim test engineer for a large US aerospace company, working on a variety of fighter sims. I also fly and race my own glider (LS6-b) and tow gliders in a Pawnee and Supercub. I've been lucky enough to get stick time in a variety of jets (T-33, 37, 38, F-4, F-16, F-104, A-4) and some piston warbirds (Stearman, T-6, T-28B). Yes, I'm lucky, but I work at it! Bottom line, I think I have a bit of experience to compare flying a sim with flying a real plane.

What is most interesting is the comments about wanting a light stick. I currently fly IL2 with a CH setup, and have used a Logitech Extreme Pro, and find them both to be WAY TOO LIGHT in feel. And watching some of the videos of sims, it seems many are flying the planes like video games, with little regard to G-onset and the effect of high G loads on both the plane and the pilot! While this is undoubtedly fun, and probably the way to win fights in the sim environment, it is TOTALLY UNREALISTIC!

Some numbers off the top of my head (specifics can be found online). For fighters, around 5 - 7 lbs/G was regarded as the optimum stick force needed for WW2 fighters; and is still about the same for jets today (the F-15 requires about that, up to 35 lbs pull for max G). What that means is that to pull hard into a 6 G turn, you need to pull with 30 to 42 lbs of force. Some planes were known for light elevators (Spitfire comes to mind) while some had really heavy elevators (P-51Ds) - and of course, in the days before boosted controls, this could increase with airspeed to the point where both hands were needed to maneuver the plane.

And there is a really good reason for this: It keeps you from breaking the plane or G-Locking yourself! BTDT and it isn't fun at all - 9Gs not only hurt, but if you pass out, you are now an easy target for your opponent. And if you break your plane...

What is also missing is just how physically demanding a dogfight is! 5 - 10 minutes at 5 Gs and you are exhausted. If you carefully read WW2 combat reports (or even look carefully at gun camera footage) you can find examples of pilots who just quit trying after a long dogfight and got shot flying straight and level. Because that feeling of letting off the G's is wonderful, and was probably the last thing they felt...

Ideally, you would have light ailerons at all speeds (combined with a fast roll rate - think FW-190) combined with "comfortable" elevators that don't force you to use both hands (P-47) but stiffen up a bit at speed, and a responsive but heavy rudder (since you are using your strong leg muscles) to control any yaw due to torque or use of ailerons and keep the ball centered for accurate shooting. Controls that become impossible to move at high speeds seriously affected tactics and often meant the difference between winning and losing a fight; examples are the aileron problems with early Spitfires or the superiority of the P-38's elevator compared to the Bf-109 when pulling out of a dive at high speed and low altitude.

Of course, since we are limited to simple joysticks, compromises need to be made. It would be nice if someone came out with a new FFB stick that stiffened up at speed realistically, that combined with a longer stick would go a long way towards making these great sims more representative of the real thing. Meanwhile, I'll probably have to spring for a TM (with an extension) ;^).

So - if you are big into twitch gaming and love those long violent dogfights - go for it! But don't kid yourself about how realistic it is... One pass, shoot, break, bug out, regroup - that's what kept Hartman, Marseille, Bong etc alive so long.

Cheers, and looking forward to the steep learning curve when i finally get my Clod working!

Check 6 - Vulture

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the community and forums kirk66 ...~S~

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less....The only thing I would say is that we are a small community here and CLOD is a massively hard sim to learn and play let alone being competitive...That means that we need to try at least to get new players upto speed and competitve sooner rather than later simply because we want to see a thriving and growing community and having successes sooner for them...For any new player they will be flying against vets who have the best equipment and a lot tuned to being competitive and non-realistic just in the same manner that a 360 rotatable cockpit would be more realistic but not as competitive..That is just my opinion...Its less realism for the hopeful benefit of a bigger community...VR is the next big thing coming our way and my feeling is also that they will be great fun and more realistic but until they get the pixel amount the same as a 50'' monitor you will not see enemy contacts as soon as the guy with the 50 incher screen...Unfortunately VR players will be eaten alive for a while....

I hope you get your PC soon so that you can join us...I think you have a lot of experience and it would be really good to see you in our humble community....~S~

Anyway....

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little....

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact Spotting Test

and....Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

I think in reality the main problem (I have) with the Thrustmaster is its mechanism.which is far from smooth in operation. It probably varies unit to unit... But its not the best mechanism for this application.

The added load of the springs on that mechanism causes it to stick through its motion. Very very hard to give smooth input. Lightening the load from the springs goes a long way to resolve this.

And that makes it useable.

As said above from a real pilot high g inputs in a combat plane requires significant strength... (I haven't done this by the way in any plane at all).

But I also imagine that those inputs not juddery and stickey giving minor input to full roll input in one judder. !

If they were that plane would be grounded for sure!

I just changed the stick about so that I could use it. That meant lightening it up as much as I could!

Anyhoooo

Welcome aboard!

Let's play!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Joystick Centre Tension....

For me, the strong spring load of the warthog gives an illusion of realism compared to other sticks I owned previously, which were very light.
    The only issue I had with the warthog was how it tends to become sticky in its motion over time. That has been cured by greasing the four pillars the spring plate slides on with some decent thick silicone bearing grease (Mylokote 44 medium) and only cost a few English Dollars.
    I also while I was there decided to take the belt and braces approach and (carefully) sanded away the little seams and ridges on the plastic gimbal and cup and the pivot pins etc that were left over from the manufacturing process (YouTube video on method), gave them a good greasing and now it is nice and strong with spring resistance (perhaps slightly lighter than factory) but it's movement is smooth again, like it should be.
    Last edited by 9./JG52 Mindle; May-15-2016 at 08:34.

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Here's a question....

What are you chaps using as sensitivity settings in game for your various axis?

I have always had mine all set to 0. Which I have got used to. Or at least I think I have haha!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Highseas View Post

I have always had mine all set to 0. Which I have got used to. Or at least I think I have haha!
    Just in case you dont know (its a confusing set up in Clod) setting zero sensitivity in game for any given axis means you are setting it at maximum 'sensitivity' . Its not infact a sensitivity setting anyway - its a nonlinearity setting, its just badly named.

I would suggest if you have yours set to zero (esp in pitch) you are making life very hard for yourself. Though I know you use the warthog so it depends on how you have that set - ie if you use the excellent TARGET software you can set your non-linearity curvesup there instead which will interact with the games settings....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Highseas View Post
    Here's a question....

0.75 for both stick axis and 1.00 rudder pedals

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by 9./JG52 Mindle View Post
    0.75 for both stick axis and 1.00 rudder pedals
    Are you really using 0.75 for joystick axis? On a proper and functional joystick no filters should be used. Linearity is very important property of a good joystick.
    I can understand about pedals, our legs are less sensitive than hands.

For any newcomer, don't use any filters if your joystick is working properly, aircraft controls were linear in those times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Yup. Move between 0.00 and 0.75. Get used to any setting. Just like the feel of having more throw around the centre.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    351.60 MB

[QUOTE=ATAG_Lewis;229633][FONT=Arial Black] Welcome to the community and forums kirk66 ...~S~

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less....The only thing I would say is that we are a small community here and CLOD is a massively hard sim to learn and play let alone being competitive...That means that we need to try at least to get new players upto speed and competitve sooner rather than later simply because we want to see a thriving and growing community and having successes sooner for them...For any new player they will be flying against vets who have the best equipment and a lot tuned to being competitive and non-realistic just in the same manner that a 360 rotatable cockpit would be more realistic but not as competitive..That is just my opinion...Its less realism for the hopeful benefit of a bigger community...VR is the next big thing coming our way and my feeling is also that they will be great fun and more realistic but until they get the pixel amount the same as a 50'' monitor you will not see enemy contacts as soon as the guy with the 50 incher screen...Unfortunately VR players will be eaten alive for a while....

Lew, thanks for the response - I will definitely use the info as I get spun up in the game! There is so much information to absorb (and I admit I'm a WW2 buff...) I'm having fun digging in. And I'm totally impressed by the community!

And please don't misunderstand me - whatever settings a person uses is great if that makes the game better for them; it's just that if you have never experienced actual air combat (training only, fortunately, for me!) it's hard to grasp just how physical and tiring it is! Games make an attempt to simulate that with G greyouts, etc but it really does not compare to the real thing.

That being said, I'm blown away by the complexity and realism that CloD has - makes what we use in the military look like an old Atari game!

Quick war story about joysticks and I'll be off - one of the sims I work on is a medium fidelity sim for a popular fighter bomber. While the full-up trainers have full hi-res domes and control loaders (think ultimate force feedback) and are so big that they have their own buildings, this trainer is located in the squadron and is pretty similar to a high end PC setup: touch screens, a monitor for the view out front (with HUD) and one for the instruments, and a simple stick with a fairly light spring but no feedback (but the actual HOTAS, of course). Now, I fly that thing everyday as part of my job, and can fly it pretty good, but when I watch actual aircrew try to fly it, they are basically maxing out the control inputs as they try to fly the trainer - because the actual jet requires a lot more force and motion. And it definitely affects the way they fly in the trainer (and causes a lot of them to not like it much, unfortunately...).

Finally, one thing about light sticks - if it is easy to get full deflections, you will find that you will lose energy faster than someone who uses less control deflection - think flapping speedbrakes. Look at the Bf-109 on the home page, to get that much rudder deflection at any combat speed would require enormous leg strength, and combined with the elevator defection, that '109 is about to spin! Which may be the intent, of course ;^)

Anyway, sorry if I come off as a know-it-all, not my intent, just throwing out some ideas. I fully expect to get my ass waxed when I finally get online.

So - Thanks again, hope to meet you online soon. Check six - I'll be checking mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by kirk66 View Post

Anyway, sorry if I come off as a know-it-all, not my intent, just throwing out some ideas. I fully expect to get my ass waxed when I finally get online.

Nah ! dont be !!

its all interesting stuff.

Glad you are impressed with the game... I am too... month three in this for me... and yes... the community is truely superb !

See you up there !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Finally, one thing about light sticks - if it is easy to get full deflections, you will find that you will lose energy faster than someone who uses less control deflection - think flapping speedbrakes. Look at the Bf-109 on the home page, to get that much rudder deflection at any combat speed would require enormous leg strength, and combined with the elevator defection, that '109 is about to spin! Which may be the intent, of course ;^)
    Kir66,

Nice writeup, TY.

Maybe this "next gen" joystick/pedal gimbal/center mechanism (that is not done be Thrustmaster, CH or other big brand), as use CAM system can approach more of this control, since the force at end of stick deflections increase due CAM design. VKB, BAUR, Slaw, MFG Simuza.

http://avia-sim.ru/forum/download/file.php?id=6399
    http://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/uploads...1454265614.jpg
    http://www.gostratojet.com/Marketing/Gimbal_Final_1.jpg

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    351.60 MB

One more quick question about how the Clod (and IL-2) sim interprets joystick motion: Is it purely stick deflection = control surface deflection, adjusted for any sensitivity curves and deadband settings?

That would be OK for fully powered controls (jet fighters), but how does the sim model effects such as the stiffening of ailerons at high speed? From what I've read, the early fabric-covered ailerons on Spit I/IIs were almost solid at speed, making it extremely hard to roll while diving. Does the CloD flight model reduce the roll effectiveness at high speed regardless of control deflection?

Kirk66

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That would be OK for fully powered controls (jet fighters), but how does the sim model effects such as the stiffening of ailerons at high speed? From what I've read, the early fabric-covered ailerons on Spit I/IIs were almost solid at speed, making it extremely hard to roll while diving. Does the CloD flight model reduce the roll effectiveness at high speed regardless of control deflection?
    Can't tell you about the Spits (I don't fly 'em) but the 109 ailerons become much less effective at higher speeds. So does the elevator. This is historically accurate.
    Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

One more quick question about how the Clod (and IL-2) sim interprets joystick motion: Is it purely stick deflection = control surface deflection, adjusted for any sensitivity curves and deadband settings?

Kirk66
    Yes
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Kirk66
    In Oleg's IL-2's the relation between joystick movement and game movement is "dampened", maybe to simulate G, dont know...

In 1CGS IL-2 is 1:1 - if you fly some time in this then change for CloD you will fell the planes there "heavy" in controls...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12