Thread: I think I may have found a new hobby...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I think I may have found a new hobby...

Can't figure out how to direct link the video but trust me; you'll want to see this:

https://www.facebook.com/drctoysshop...9794206399043/
    Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    495 Bytes

Re: I think I may have found a new hobby...

Unfortunately it would be too much like RL or CLOD Life and I would probably wreck it first time out

3. Likes Vadr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by vadr View Post
    can't figure out how to direct link the video but trust me; you'll want to see this:

https://www.facebook.com/drctoysshop...9794206399043/
    woahhh !!!!!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

5. Likes Vadr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

That is cool. You know, I've seen somewhere else where people have put mini cameras in the cockpit of an R/C aircraft and then had a screen hooked up to the camera feed to look at. They seem to be going a little farther with that concept in this video with the joysticks and whatever their wearing, but a nice Parkzone 109 with a cam inside shouldn't be hard to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.36 MB

you won't be able to do that legally in the UK.
    with FPV you are transmitting the video signal through the 5.8ghz band. And the picture is like watching a video from a 90's video recorder.
    The further you fly you need a stronger 5.8ghz transmitter so realistically you need at least 200mw to fly FPV in a 200 metre radius from you.. now anything over 25mw is illegal to use in the UK..
    So you cannot put it on an RC plane and fly FPV at a flying club. So the majority of people that fly FPV fly racing quadcopters and use 200-400mw transmitters but don't fly at clubs.

The rules for flying RC aircraft in the UK is strict enough but flying FPV is even worse. The rules are you need a huge open field that is at least 100 metres by 100 metres in front of you with no obstacles, you are also stricted to up to 1000ft alt
    the aircraft have to be in visual range, but because you are using fpv you need spotters with you legally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Nice to see CloD make an appearance in there id only for 1/2 a second (looked Vanilla version?)

Great idea, but not.possible in the UK as mentioned above
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Interesting concept, but I think the viewing technology has a long way to go to catch up to duplicating the feel of flight.

The first issue which occurred to me, is the camera can't swivel to allow the flyer to look around, you are stuck in a forward view.

Without the ability to look around, flying would be like wearing blinkers... yes, you could go to a wide view camera, but if you do that, then the distance perception is degraded considerably.

And then there is the fact you couldn't get these aircraft to duplicate the performance of a real type... they are operating in the real world at reduced scale, the power to weight, wingloading, and the inertial effects are all different.

Overall, an interesting way to spend an afternoon, but as a means to duplicate the real feel of a WWII fighter... not really.

I don't think there is any real threat to the virtual gaming world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    The first issue which occurred to me, is the camera can't swivel to allow the flyer to look around, you are stuck in a forward view.

Without the ability to look around, flying would be like wearing blinkers... yes, you could go to a wide view camera, but if you do that, then the distance perception is degraded considerably.
    No, the camera is not static, can be controlled with RC rotary or with pilot head movements with some Arduino DIY - similar to EDTracker for POV in games - this is common in FPV, or buy ready to use set:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...d_Tracker.html

But this video show with Ocullus Rift, no see big advantage in this due lack or details inside cockpit of this models to use their "3D".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    139.65 MB

Ya I would have to say that the video is fake. And yes you can do a pan and tilt with your cam set to your head movements. The fat Shark has accelerometers like a smart phone to track head movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    138.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EmRaptor View Post
    you won't be able to do that legally in the UK.
    with FPV you are transmitting the video signal through the 5.8ghz band. And the picture is like watching a video from a 90's video recorder.
    The further you fly you need a stronger 5.8ghz transmitter so realistically you need at least 200mw to fly FPV in a 200 metre radius from you.. now anything over 25mw is illegal to use in the UK..
    So you cannot put it on an RC plane and fly FPV at a flying club. So the majority of people that fly FPV fly racing quadcopters and use 200-400mw transmitters but don't fly at clubs.

The rules for flying RC aircraft in the UK is strict enough but flying FPV is even worse. The rules are you need a huge open field that is at least 100 metres by 100 metres in front of you with no obstacles, you are also stricted to up to 1000ft alt
    the aircraft have to be in visual range, but because you are using fpv you need spotters with you legally.
    Could the addition of cameras tip this into the realms of drones?

Or is the regulation completely different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    230.36 MB

Fatshark (the company that is well known in the RC community for FPV goggles) they've actually made "headtracking" work. It uses the gyroscopes and accelerometer.

And the video feed for them are not that great either because it's been sent over the 5.8ghz band, so the picture quality has to be awful enough to be sent with as little lag as possible, there is something like up to half a second delay between your imputs and what you see, so you have to fly for the future not what you currently see.

And this is the video feed -

But this is obviously with a high powered TV transmitter.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    182.33 MB

Awesome!!! But expensive

16. Likes Vadr liked this post