Thread: Flying straight and level hands off how to adjust for ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Flying straight and level hands off how to adjust for ?

Hi,
    Spitfire or Me109E or Hurricane, and no doubt others, My aircraft will not fly hands off straight and level . On the real aircraft one could dope cord along the aileron edge to stop any rotation to stbd, and the elevators had trim tab control in the cockpit. The 109 had a metal tab to tweak on both Ailerons and Elevators.

What controls are there that we adjust to stop this as I am forever pushing stick fwd and to left just to fly and keep straight and level. Reading BoB books I have yet again recently read of a pilot doing this.

I sem to remember altering trim tabs on elevators and no effect achieved, but I await the proven CoD method for both that roll and climb nuisance factor.

I have just re-calibrated by Saitek HOTAS X45 and yet the aircraft still do this.

I highly recommend Jonathan Reeve Battle of Britain Voices, pure meat meat meat, no fat, extracts from autobiographies and combat reports of the BoB bits ! Many books in one.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    226.63 MB

Re: Flying straight and level hands off how to adjust for ?

Not going to happen with full realism, you may at one point have a perfectly trimmed aircraft but as your speed, torque,altitude and angle of attack change so does the trim required for straight flight. As you mentioned there were trims available in some of the aircraft but usually it was a ground crew personnel that tweaked a certain aircraft a certain way for a certain pilot with a spanner as every aircraft was different. This is a hands on aircraft unless you fly blennies or german bombers you are going to hold against the control surfaces in some manner.
    Last edited by TWC_Fatal_Error; May-31-2016 at 17:10.
    i7 2700 ,32 gigs, 4 ssd's ,1 7200rpm 2terabyte,1 samsung 55 display,2 mfd's,EDTRACKER,Warthog ,X55 stick, 7inch liliput monitor in mfd's 21 I-inc secondary display for instruments using virtual cockpit
    [*]iustus facere unus[*] JUST MAKE ONE ( FATAL ERROR) Commander TWC http://twcpilots.com

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

I can get the 109 in the right conditions, at a certain airspeed and altitude to fly generally straight and level with no input. But things change, and it will eventually roll a little or start gaining altitude again.

You can go short distances hands off, but don't expect to cross the channel while sipping coffee and watching

ATAG Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just add a little rudder trim on the Spit and it will stop rolling and if you are trimmed for horizontal then you will be 'hands off' but there isn't much point unless you need to roll a cigarette, or struggling to open a can of beer, etc.
    [CENTER][/CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AMD A8 5600K Quad Core 3.6 Ghz - Win 7 64 - 8Gb Ram - GTX660ti 2Gb VRAM - FreeTrack - MSFF2/X45Th - Asus 23' Monitor.

5. Likes ATAG_Dave, ATAG_Snapper liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Any aircraft with trim tabs can be adjusted to fly straight and level at a given speed, rpm and boost, but if those are changed, the aircraft will go out of trim.

For example, the 109E only had pilot operated elevator trim controls, the ailerons and rudder only had trim tabs adjusted on the ground... they could not be adjusted in the air.

Historically the 109E had its trim tabs and elevator at '0' adjusted to provide straight and level flight at 320 kmh at cruise rpm and boost. That is what you have in the game.

The same applies to the Hurricane and Spitfire... they fly straight and level at cruise rpms/boost at cruise speeds at '0' adjustment.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

One of the nice things about the 110 is trim in all 3 axis so I can usually fly it hands off while I'm climbing towards my intended AO. Also possible to fly hands-off single engined which is nice as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Spit, with low RPM, Pitch and rudder trim fly leveled for a good distance.

The most "complicated" is Hurri, if trim then for fly leveled, the thing fly "crab".

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

I just increased my circuit speed from pc to toilet or fridge. Problem solved.

In my A10-C I can take as much time as I need, in Cliffs you gotta get a move on
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

10. Likes Vadr, ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    Supporting Member 9./JG52 Mindle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    911.26 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    I just increased my circuit speed from pc to toilet or fridge. Problem solved.

In my A10-C I can take as much time as I need, in Cliffs you gotta get a move on
    https://www.homeandmedical.co.uk/ima...me-vr157-1.jpg

Option 1

Windows 10 64-bit; Intel Core i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz Processor; 16.0 GB RAM; NVIDIA GTX970; TM Warthog HOTAS; MFG Crosswinds; Track IR5

12. Likes Vlerkies, Vadr, ATAG_((dB)) liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

After some experimentation ive come up with the following solution for flying a Hurricane

hurri hat.jpg

PLUS

1 Plastic Sheet
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

I can get the 109 in the right conditions, at a certain airspeed and altitude to fly generally straight and level with no input.
    Just to see if i have everything set, what would that airspeed and altitude be ?

You know when you do quickflight and start in the air over the channel, I am immediately climbing and rolling, so would like to get this better if poss, as my saitek X45 is known for a powerful spring and despite using two nylon fasteners to pull the coils together, it is a grunchy frictional push to left all the time to keep from rolling and pulling back, cant do anything without immediately climbing. Pilots would have had their aircraft tweaked for hands off at certain speeds and height, as I was reading in their actual accounts. Real events, so realistic setting should allow for realistic tweaking.

Historically the 109E had its trim tabs and elevator at '0' adjusted to provide straight and level flight at 320 kmh at cruise rpm and boost. That is what you have in the game.
    what is the cruise rpm to set throttle to and boost ? I wasnt aware of a boost gauge in the 109, I know where it is in the spitfire.

Spit, with low RPM, Pitch and rudder trim fly leveled for a good distance.
    so it sounds possible then.

Just add a little rudder trim on the Spit and it will stop rolling and if you are trimmed for horizontal then you will be 'hands off'
    which way to rotate the rudder trim wheel ?
    How can I trim for horizontal as its an erk with a piece of slotted wood that does that to aileron edge.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post
    Just to see if i have everything set, what would that airspeed and altitude be ?
    You know when you do quickflight and start in the air over the channel, I am immediately climbing and rolling,
    In all these useless "Free Flight" air start missions the planes are set for maximum performance, so is natural that engine torque and air pressure over controls surfaces are big that ones that trim are set for.

I wasnt aware of a boost gauge in the 109, I know where it is in the spitfire.
    The instrument labeled ATA.

which way to rotate the rudder trim wheel ?
    How can I trim for horizontal as its an erk with a piece of slotted wood that does that to aileron edge.
    In spitfire you can click over trim wheel for adjust elevator (and rudder) trim, but in this plane the wheel is bugged and don't spin as should, although the trim is adjusted, or use keys/joystick buttons.

In Spit you achieve leveled flight by use elevator trim, reducing boost pressure, RPM, prop pitch, and consequently plane speed and using rudder trim for compensate engine torque, so dont expect fly around trimmed at ~320MPH.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Jun-01-2016 at 22:05.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    After some experimentation ive come up with the following solution for flying a Hurricane
    That works for the 109 as well.
    Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by BOBC View Post

To be honest, I don't know. I mainly fly the 109, and I would say it's usually somewhere in the mid 300 km/h area, at around 3k altitude, or flying pretty low. But I think it depends on the map/conditions and even the direction you're flying at the time.

Usually I can dial in flying level because of the elevator trim, but it's typical to have a slight roll most of the time.

Now, the Bf-110 is much easier to get to fly straight and level. It's easier to adjust, and possibly the twin engines "balance" it out. Don't quote me on that though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Hi BOBC I found this for you, it is how to use the trim and this is valid on all the aircraft

http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/..._wing/trim.htm

and this

http://www.aeroskytech.com/english/trim/trim.html
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

Another option is to use flight controller software to enable aileron trim at the device level. Thrustmaster offers this in their "TARGET Script Editor", software for their products. I'd be surprised if some other joysticks do not come with similar utilities.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Doh
    Last edited by Vadr; Jun-02-2016 at 09:40.
    Vadr

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    Usually I can dial in flying level because of the elevator trim, but it's typical to have a slight roll most of the time.
    You can usually counteract that in level flight with just a *touch* of rudder. Just a touch, or you'll get out of coordinated flight and the drag will take over.

Also, per Buzzsaw above, the 109 trim tabs are set for 320KPH.
    Vadr

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Vadr View Post
    That works for the 109 as well.
    but with Steins presumably....
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

23. Likes Vadr liked this post