Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pics from the War.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.46 MB

Re: Pics from the War.

I was pretty sure that was a macchi 200.

2. Likes Akula93, Vlerkies liked this post
    Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by SoW Reddog View Post
    I was pretty sure that was a macchi 200.
    yes, its macchi vertical stabilizer shape, and no antena like 202, so probably 200

4. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

There certainly were Macchi 200's in the desert, so you may be right.

I think the engine has been removed, that is why the nose appears to taper to a point like the inline in a Re-2001.

Only the skeleton of the engine mounts remain.

'Rollfilm Nr. 11, 13. 7. 42 Bild 7'
    Attachment 24075

6. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    There certainly were Macchi 200's in the desert, so you may be right.

I think the engine has been removed, that is why the nose appears to taper to a point like the inline in a Re-2001.

Only the skeleton of the engine mounts remain.
    Yeah looks like a Macchi 200. Difficult to see, the only thing is the little extended piece at the tail seems missing, maybe just removed or off.
    I think there may be some significance in that photo, if it is indeed a Italian Macchi 200 (sure look like it), the Sqn or Squadriglia number it seems doesn't fit. Cant find anything like it?

Anyway, this thread is great.
    While researching a little bit on 14 Sqn, the first Blennies arrived in Sept '40 at Port of Sudan.
    A blue on blue incident occured when a Gladiator mistook a Blennie for an Italian SM79, which happened to be piloted by the newly promoted Sqn Ldr Stapelton.
    The Blennie was heavily damaged and Stapelton shot in the wrist, but managed to land safely with no kia's.

Story goes that the Gladiator pilot was forced to report to Stapleton while he was in hospital recovering to apologise for his deeds. Stapleton however forced the trigger happy pilot to first drink half a pint of vinegar and tonic water by way of penitence before his apology was accepted
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

8. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.46 MB

Does it look like 355 Squadriglia to anyone else?

10. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SoW Reddog View Post
    Does it look like 355 Squadriglia to anyone else?
    Hi Reddog

I tried a few but didnt come up with anything close.
    I do still think its the 200 as you have stated.

I thought 755 first, then 355 but then also the 2nd digit looks ( a little ) different to the 3rd as well. 355 no reference to 200's just G.50's, tail wheel to far back for G.50. I am no expert, but if 355 had the 200 I am looking in the wrong places. Quite possible though so betting you have it right.
    Dunno, got me thinking maybe there was more significance to the capture by the photographer than just a truck driving past with a plane.
    en.jpg

Anyway, hope theres many more images to come from DerDa, really special to see.
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Aug-04-2016 at 13:19.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post

What is the plane on the left as a matter of interest? G-50?

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.46 MB

Well if it is a Macchi 200, the Savoy cross on the tail being "equal" means that it was manufactured by the Breda factory.

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    What is the plane on the left as a matter of interest? G-50?
    yes G50

15. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

G-50's were the first monoplanes the Italians had in the Desert... Macchi-C-200's arrived quite a bit later.

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Another Italian monoplane in the western desert was the breda65 but it doesnt look much like it - G50 is the best match it seems

http://www.ww2incolor.com/italian-forces/BA65.html

Ezzie

18. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Some more on Blennie Z5863.

Seems 14 Sqn was based in Heliopolis.
    The mission was a 2 ship Blennie recon to Tobruk.
    They had to land at Ma'aten Bagush (+- 400km) en route for further orders then on to recce Tobruk (another +-400km).
    Only one Blennie made it back to Ma'aten Bagush.

The navigator on the other Blennie (leading aircraft) noted how difficult it was to navigate over the rather featureless terrain and the approach to Tobruk was a rather narrow corridor or safe lane as the author puts it flanked by axis troops making life quite difficult for the nav operator.
    Z5863 was trailing behind and never made it back.
    At least from the book (Winged Crusaders) it seems unclear as to when or where they lost each other en route.
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Winged-Crusaders/p/3627
    Last edited by Vlerkies; Aug-05-2016 at 06:06.

20. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Another big 'Thank You' for all the information you dug out.
    Especially the Blennie story is extremely fascinating.

I am sorry to say that I posted almost all scanned pictures. There are about 200 more, but just showing people (and I am a bit reluctant to show them if I do not know who they were) or spots of touristic interest.
    But amongsts my mums inheritage there were not only those pictures of my father.
    I have boxes and boxes with even older ones, from the 30s, 20s and even from WW I
    from my grandfather
    comp_03 Front.jpg
    and grand uncle
    comp_06.jpg
    comp_08.jpg

But sadly nothing connected to aviation. As mechanists (my granddad was an apprentice to Carl Benz) they mainly ended up with artillery.
    As a curiosity ans because its Olympic Games time again here a postcard showing the pre-war skyline of Frankfurt with Zeppelin Hindenburg displaying the Olympic rings.
    comp_124.jpg

My mum (born 1928) and her elder brother were just kids when the war started. Todays kids collect pictures and stickers of football or other sports heroes. In 1941 they obviously collected dead fighter pilots ...
    comp_125.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    660.92 MB

Thank you very much for sharing these pictures with us! Extremely interesting read/watch.

23. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Quite a haunting image.
    There is something about the old film that is just so completely lost with modern dslr shots.

25. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by III./ZG76_Ezzie View Post
    Another Italian monoplane in the western desert was the breda65 but it doesnt look much like it - G50 is the best match it seems

http://www.ww2incolor.com/italian-forces/BA65.html

Ezzie
    Hey Ezzie

Just noticed your post.

I was thinking of fighters when I said monoplanes... you're right the BA-65 was a monoplane and actually equipped the Regia Aeronautica before the G-50, but the BA-65 was a ground attack aircraft not a fighter... also completely obsolete by this time, saw most service during Spanish Civil War.

The G-50 wasn't exactly cutting edge, but it could compete reasonably well in 1940 when they were mostly up against Gladiators. Later also was used for ground attack.

27. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

In total there were 331 pictures. Very few of them with any information written on the backside, and if so mainly things like 'film 4, picture 3'. Other information had been blackened, obviously when these pics were send home by post. At least about 80 of them were in an album, giving me hopefully some kind of chronological order.
    Of all this I chose 123 of which I hope they might find some interest here.
    Attachment 23692
    Hi DerDa. Just out of interest, of the 331, apart from the ones you are posting here, do any others show aircraft or airfields? Obviously this is a Flightsim forum....so if there are any please also consider posting them. Aircraft are what we live and breath

Great thread and again, thanks for your efforts and sharing them here.

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

29. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

What? This is a flight sim forum??? How did I get here???

Naturally I included everything with aircraft or parts of aircraft on it (and I am amazed what other people already found out about those).
    Also I posted anything with technical equipment, ships, cars and landscape that might be of interest to the crowd here or maybe even be a bit of inspiration to map and mission builders.

I am sorry but there is nothing more of this. As I wrote, just people and places of touristic interest and the St. Peters in Rome did not change that much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

What? This is a flight sim forum??? How did I get here???

Naturally I included everything with aircraft or parts of aircraft on it (and I am amazed what other people already found out about those).
    Also I posted anything with technical equipment, ships, cars and landscape that might be of interest to the crowd here or maybe even be a bit of inspiration to map and mission builders.

I am sorry but there is nothing more of this. As I wrote, just people and places of touristic interest and the St. Peters in Rome did not change that much.
    Thanks very much DerDa... we appreciate the look into the history of your family.

32. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Hi DerDa

As promised an update on the Blenheim picture.
    With your permission (as per pm) I sent it off to Michael Napier(author of 'Winged Crusaders' and ex 14Sqn pilot).
    About Michael Napier

The elder son of an army officer, Michael Napier joined the RAF in 1978 and served with 14 Squadron as a Tornado pilot in the late 1980s and again in the early 1990s. These two tours engendered a deep interest in 14 Squadron’s distinguished history. He was appointed as Honorary Secretary of the 14 Squadron Association in 2003 and since then has carried out extensive research into the Squadron’s heritage. Michael, who is now is an airline captain, lives in the Cotswolds with his wife and two children.
    He has no doubt it is that of the missing Blenheim Z5863 and was very chuffed and grateful to see the image, so thank you again.

As certain bits of the Sqn records are missing there are more questions than answers.
    The crew, PO Ormiston and Sgt Fraser were KIA, however the actual record of Sgt E Smith is a mystery at this stage. He was listed as POW but the origin of that report is unknown at this stage, or if he survived the war, or if he could or did shed any light on the events leading to the aircraft going down.

Anyway, all fascinating stuff, the hunt for Sgt Smith continues
    A link to the book for anyone interested, available in ebook or hardcover.
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Winge...ardback/p/3627
    https://www.amazon.com/Winged-Crusad.../dp/1781590591

34. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

This research is very interesting.
    Thank you very much for sharing the reults.

Best

DerDa

36. Likes Alexunderpressure liked this post
    Supporting Member Alexunderpressure's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 MB

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Very interesting post. I´m a thousand years behind you all in the knowledge of aviation history displayed here. This has been a very enjoyable and interesting read. The Blenny history is impressive. What those crews had to endure....
    Last edited by Alexunderpressure; Aug-14-2016 at 01:25.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quite a haunting image.
    There is something about the old film that is just so completely lost with modern dslr shots.
    It is. This was likely shot on orthographic sheet film, which is more sensitive to certain colors and can hold a lot more detail. Often the printer created a direct contact print of the sheet film - no need for an enlarger if the negative already had like a 15 cm diagonal. My great grandmother had tons at stereoscopic images, and even with a 2 inch diagonal, they were amazingly detailed.

Cheers!
    Hi DerDa

As promised an update on the Blenheim picture.
    With your permission (as per pm) I sent it off to Michael Napier(author of 'Winged Crusaders' and ex 14Sqn pilot).

He has no doubt it is that of the missing Blenheim Z5863 and was very chuffed and grateful to see the image, so thank you again.

As certain bits of the Sqn records are missing there are more questions than answers.
    The crew, PO Ormiston and Sgt Fraser were KIA, however the actual record of Sgt E Smith is a mystery at this stage. He was listed as POW but the origin of that report is unknown at this stage, or if he survived the war, or if he could or did shed any light on the events leading to the aircraft going down.

Anyway, all fascinating stuff, the hunt for Sgt Smith continues
    A link to the book for anyone interested, available in ebook or hardcover.
    http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Winge...ardback/p/3627
    https://www.amazon.com/Winged-Crusad.../dp/1781590591

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, MS FFB2

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is an amazing collection, DerDa. Thanks you so much for sharing.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, MS FFB2

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Well, I know it's not WWII and it's not flight related, but maybe somebody might find this interesting as well.
    Within the heaps of old documents and pictures I brought to my home after my mum died I recently found this.
    It is about the brother of my maternal grandfather who was born in 1893. He in fact was much better in the role of a 'granddad' than the real one. I think I owe a lot to him, because untiringly he tried to stimulate my taste for educatio and history especially.
    All I knew was, that he took part in WWI and became Lieutenant. From some pictures I saw after his death, I gathered he was serving in Northern Italy at some point of time.
    Now this document shows his complete military career during WWI, including hospital times and awards, as well as a list of all the engagements he took part in.

Well, that's quite a list. And it was only in August 1918 that he was promoted from the ranks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

What a nice and interesting thread! Thanks for sharing DerDa!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    383.91 MB

Wow, he served on every front that the Germans took part in during the first world war - seems he started in France, went to the Russian front, went back to France, back to the Russians, back to France again, then to the Italian front, then finally back to France!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    116.63 MB

I've only just discovered this wonderful thread. Thank you so much for sharing, DerDa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    21.84 MB

Thanks for sharing. Most interesting.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    38.21 MB

Nice pictures, as a former infantry type I can see my youth in some of them, some things transcend national boundaries and time.

Just to revisit the question of Home su mer. It's Homme su mer, man of the sea.
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...+Mer&FORM=IGRE
    Forgive me if this is redundant.
    Last edited by TWC_Target; Apr-24-2019 at 13:44.
    AKA Jim

46. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast