Thread: first proper go at landing in campaign

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    235.23 MB

first proper go at landing in campaign

Landing.jpg

ok well I hope this has worked and u can see my lovely landing. whats best procedure without flying over handle bars!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Re: first proper go at landing in campaign

Have a look see at the TFwiki page for the plane you are flying and configure the plane on approach correctly and at the right speed. Makes life a lot easier till you get a feel for it.

eg Mk1
    LANDING

Descend below 1000 ft and reduce throttle to slow aircraft to 160 mph
    Select Fine pitch
    Select Down Flaps
    Select Undercarriage down
    Trim aircraft for level flight, reduce speed to 130 mph, very gentle turns
    On Runway glide approach, reduce speed to 120 mph, then to 100mph over threshold, cutting throttle. Holding the nose level, allow the aircraft to sink gently at 100 mph, touching at 90mph.
    Make sure the aircraft is settled on all three wheels before beginning to brake, pump brakes extremely gently and do not hold them. The Spitfire has a tendency to tip over onto its nose if anything other than very gentle braking is used.
    http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...flight_manuals

And don't sweat it we all been there

Need to be easy on the brakes, tap the brakes don't just hold them in. If you land at the right speed its much easier to come to a stop, in one piece.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

You also might want to follow these instructions to adjust your info windows and turn off that annoying voice of your leader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCuhgbwcvZQ

Oh, and don't worry about landing that much
    Not a lot of RAF planes come back from battle...
    Taking off is far more important

4. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

its on the runway - its a landing!!

Again, look at chuck's guide.

Really you need to be no higher than 110-120mph during final approach. If your coming in from a higher speed, approach so that you can scrub off speed in a turn onto final Put your prop up to 100 as this will help to slow you as you throttle back.

flaps down at 140, gear down at anything below 160. The rudder and a countered aileron (so for instance a bit of right rudder and left stick) will help to slow you if your over-speeding. And trim out the aircraft so youre not fighting the stick.

Then it should just be a case of aiming for the threshold and flaring (pulling the stick back) just as you are about to touch down (for this you really need to be down to 90-100mph by the time your are over the runway.

The earlier you land, the more time you have to roll to a slow - this means you dont need to touch the brakes and risk nosing in as you might at a higher speed. And finally, you'll be surprised at how quickly the aircraft can slow so dont jam on the brakes even if you have already used up half the landing strip.

Regards

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    235.23 MB

landing 2.jpg

bit better still not best ha...having trouble which controls to use even after reading up

7. Likes BOO, ATAG_Dave liked this post
    Supporting Member Alexunderpressure's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 MB

This worked for me:

When touching down, pull the stick all the way back and leave it there until you bleed speed.

Alex

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    375.02 MB

....One you can walk away from!
    Everything said above particularly the little tip on opposite rudder/aileron to slow down for losing speed/altitude is bang on.
    Another tip is if you do need to bleed off speed rapid style, you can pull full back on the stick after touching down and repeatedly hit the brakes. This will keep the nose up and stop you tipping over.
    Flare as late as possible in fighters and touch down with the nose in the air. This will stop you nose diving.

By the way, my first attempt, I didn't even reach the runway....

10. Likes ATAG_Lord Wukits liked this post
    Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    235.23 MB

what buttons do people use to slow down I hit the b key to brake and I just slow down too quick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Simple answer is do not hit and hold the button down, if you do you will go nose over.

Just press/release the button multiple times.

With rudder pedals and toe brakes you can set that up as well for left and right braking.

Not sure, but check in the options for the aircraft, there should be a keys you can assign for that as well rather than just B for brakes. Look for left and right toe brake.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Thats really only an option for the axis fighter Verklies (they have all the toys) - with the reds its one brake to rule them all

Dabbing and pulling back on the stick is the way forward - that and not snatching them too early - the hurri and spit will slow down plenty once the the tailwheel is back on the ground.

S

BOO
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    88.77 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    Thats really only an option for the axis fighter Verklies (they have all the toys) - with the reds its one brake to rule them all
    Thats not quite the full story - the RAF planes do have differential brakes at least which can be used in a very similar way (or rather to similar effect) to toe brakes, at least they can if you are using rudder pedals.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    375.02 MB

I have axes set up for Saitek rudder pedal toe brakes, but they don't seem to have as good affect as 'dabbing' the assigned 100% brake with the stick back. I'll look at the curve maybe.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    480.94 MB

British aircraft do not have toe brakes, the brakes are controlled by a button on the stick, as in real life. You can get the same effect as using toe brakes by applying rudder while braking.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    375.02 MB

Quote Originally Posted by =FI=Murph View Post
    British aircraft do not have toe brakes, the brakes are controlled by a button on the stick, as in real life. You can get the same effect as using toe brakes by applying rudder while braking.
    ..and that also could be the reason! All this time wearing out my toe brakes and they don't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

The Spit has a brake pressure gauge and you can see how this differential thing works while moving the rudder.
    I made a separate profile for Brit planes, only one pedal operates the brakes and use rudder for differential braking.

19. Likes ATAG_Dave liked this post