Thread: When 1 x 4K screen isnt enough :)

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

When 1 x 4K screen isnt enough :)

Been re-setting up my virtual cockpit up since ive gotten back in the game..

2 x 10" Lenovo Tab 3s -one running Virtual cockpit with twomonusb from google app store and the other with the hires maps loaded up.

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Track IR Track Clip Pro mounted on gopro head strap. - I am Borg!

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Re: When 1 x 4K screen isnt enough :)

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Phat View Post

I love seeing these...

My setup is an old bar stool and a table.... it doent really warrant a photo....

That said when playing I am still convinced I'm in a spitfire !

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Found a great virtual cockpit. This is with the 4k 28". Click pic to goto flickr video.

Il2-2 by Hilton, on Flickr

This is my alternate setup sitting in front of the 120" projection screen.

I love it!

View from behind the couch
    Il2 120" wide angle by Hilton, on Flickr

Il2 120" wide angle by Hilton, on Flickr

View Sitting
    Il2 120" by Hilton, on Flickr

Video - Click pic to goto flickr video. The camera picks up the DLP projector colour changes, but you cant see it by eye. The picture is immaculate. The sound is thunderous from the 7.2 surround sound system. Front speakers behind acoustically transparent screen.

Il2 120" by Hilton, on Flickr

4. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Here's a better video without the colour banding. Had to get a different app to adjust shutter speed.

Il2 120 -2 by Hilton, on Flickr

6. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

More improvements to the sim pit today.

A pair of $70 fully articulating Vesa tv mounts - better than a $900 gaming chair!

Super ergonomic and fully adjustable - really comfy in my favourite chair!
    It has allen key bolts for tightening the tension of the articulating arms and a knob to tighten the tilt which is on a ratchet so it doesn't droop or move once set.

Only one more side to do for throttle.

Joy mount by Hilton, on Flickr

Mounted to the chair

Vesa mounted joystick base.

All mounted in position

Swung out of the way

Put really out of the way - I could take it further and undo one allen bolt to completely remove the arm.

Joy mount 2 by Hilton, on Flickr
    Last edited by FS~Phat; Sep-14-2016 at 04:52.

8. Likes Vlerkies, XE9O liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

And the Throttle done! Worked out way better than I could have hoped for. Feels awesome and so comfortable and I can easily swing them out of the way!

Joy seat by Hilton, on Flickr

In gaming position

Swung away to the side.

Seated position

10. Likes Vlerkies, farley liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Fk a duck!! Nice setup. Envious.

What res is the projector?

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by lil_head View Post
    Fk a duck!! Nice setup. Envious.

What res is the projector?
    Thanks!
    It's a 1080P DLP projector - I'm thinking of getting a JVC pixelshift (fake 4K) projector though this one is actually pretty good.

Here's the new chair joystick vesa mount setup with Projector.

Big screen by Hilton, on Flickr

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Here's a video of the new mounting system (Click pic to go to Flickr video)

Joy Vesa mount video by Hilton, on Flickr

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

New Saitek X56 HOTAS arrived. Awesome Stick.

Much better feel and build quality than my trusty old X52 Pro. The internal build quality is light years better - don't know what all those interweb haters are talking about with this stick. I took some photos to compare the internals and it's night and day compared to the grubby and messy x52pro wiring.

Internal Stick and Throttle cables are nicely secured and bound neat and tidy in nice loops that flex as you move the stick/throttle . No chance they'll get fouled or damaged.

I've got them all mounted up to the chair with the VESA mounts no problem. I like the lightest feel blue spring. I'm able to be much more accurate with fine movements, particularly with Gunnery fine aiming movements. Better feel just off centre without that sticky off centre feel compared to the X52pro and the heavier springs.

Love all the extra pots and new buttons compared with X52pro (I have old X52 too) Like the thumb joysticks too but haven't got a use for them yet - maybe for gunsight zoom but haven't tried yet.
    It's really comfortable for me, though I do miss having some extra normal buttons on the stick which have been replaced with extra hats which are bit less comfortable to reach.

Throttle definitely has a lot of resistance, but it's smooth and feels like you're pushing something powerful. It's not a problem mounted to my chair but I could imagine it being a bit slippy or tippy on a desk without being secured.
    Definitely awesome having all the extra pots for trims and engine management and the toggles for engine, fuel, magnetos, gear, reticles, flaps etc.

I liked the x52 and x52 pro and they gave me 12 years of trouble free gaming with thousands of hours of use... I love the X56, it's still an early love affair but I hope it's got the quality to go the distance.

X56 HOTAS by Hilton, on Flickr

X56 Stick Internals - clean and well designed.

X56 Throttle - again clean and well designed.

Scrappy X52PRo Throttle Wiring for comparison

X56 Throttle VESA mount

X56 Stick VESA mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

More improvements to the sim pit today.

A pair of $70 fully articulating Vesa tv mounts - better than a $900 gaming chair!

Super ergonomic and fully adjustable - really comfy in my favourite chair!
    Thats pretty nifty idea Phat.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

16. Likes ATAG_Deacon liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Photo realistic Virtual Cockpit on 24" monitor

Untitled by Hilton, on Flickr

Virtual cockpit by Hilton, on Flickr

A video (click pic to go to flickr video)

A short video of the projector and seating position.

18. Likes XE9O liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Full Build Summary

i7 4960X @ 4.8Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - 2x SLI 8GB GTX 1080 MSI Sea Hawk EK X - 16GB DDR3-2000 - Intel NVME 1.2TB PCIE SSD - 1 x Corsair AX1500i PSU mounted in 19" rack mount Silverstone GD08 HTPC case inside 19" rack + outside for cooling 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds mounted in MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case with 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps + 1 x Benq W1080ST DLP projector with custom 120" acoustically transparent screen + 1 x 4K 28" Acer CB280HK + 1 x 24" Acer H243H LCD + Asus Essence STX 7.1 Sound Card - Custom 7.2 Surround Sound with 2 x 450W RMS Subs and Sony Floor Standing SSX70ed speakers all round - Saitek X56 HOTAS VESA mounted to chair - Saitek Combat Pedals - Track IR 5 with track Clip Pro

Link to complete build > http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1194974
    i7 4960X @ 4.8Ghz AC Kryos Silver WB - Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - 2x SLI 8GB GTX 1080 MSI Sea Hawk EK X - 16GB DDR3-2000 - Intel NVME 1.2TB PCIE SSD - 1 x Corsair AX1500i PSU mounted in 19" rack mount Silverstone GD08 HTPC case inside 19" rack + outside for cooling 4 x GTX 360 rads w/ 24 x CM fans & shrouds mounted in MM Extended Ascension Horizon XL-ATX Case with 2 x Koolance 452x2 Res and 4 x D5 pumps + 1 x Benq W1080ST DLP projector with custom 120" acoustically transparent screen + 1 x 4K 28" Acer CB280HK + 1 x 24" Acer H243H LCD + Asus Essence STX 7.1 Sound Card - Custom 7.2 Surround Sound with 2 x 450W RMS Subs and Sony Floor Standing SSX70ed speakers all round - Saitek X56 HOTAS VESA mounted to chair - Saitek Combat Pedals - Track IR 5 with track Clip Pro

Full Build Log here> http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh....php?t=1194974

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Oh and Chair Glides to replace the castor wheels! $9 from office works.

Chair glides by Hilton, on Flickr

21. Likes Vlerkies liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

10" Lenovo tablets mounted to Throttle and Stick.
    One setup with hires Maps the other with aircraft ID Charts and stats.

Touch screens by Hilton, on Flickr

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

I've added some tablet mounts to the X56 to hold two tablets and Logitech wireless media keyboard.

Easy to adjust and move out of the way for easy access and comfortable arrangement.

X56 with tablet mounts by Hilton, on Flickr

In position

What I see when seated.

Some more shots

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Saving up for a Benq W11000 DLP Native 4K projector - should be about $8K aussie and come out in December. Better contrast and black levels than the entry level Sony 4K projectors and sharper picture too. Also better than the fake pixel shift LCD projectors. Cant wait!

Added some remote control RGB LED backlighting and room lighting to the room too.

Click the pic to go to the Flickr video.
    Led by Hilton, on Flickr
    Last edited by FS~Phat; Oct-26-2016 at 04:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    77.43 MB

really nice job! i'm looking at those table mounts with extreme interest ^^

how's contact spotting with a projector?

No.54 Dix (KL-X)

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by dix View Post
    really nice job! i'm looking at those table mounts with extreme interest ^^

how's contact spotting with a projector?
    Contact spotting is pretty good - certainly better than a 24" monitor.

Supporting Member 9./JG26_Brigg's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.9 KB

2 x 10" Lenovo Tab 3s -one running Virtual cockpit with twomonusb from google app store and the other with the hires maps loaded up.

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr

Track IR Track Clip Pro mounted on gopro head strap. - I am Borg!

Il2 by Hilton, on Flickr
    How did you get that map to display on another screen and where did you get it from. Also would I be able to use a second monitor instead of a tablet
    Asus RE4, i7 4820k@4.5, 16gb kingston hyperx, gtx 980, 480gb samsung 840 evo for win10 + games, full custom loop, warthog hotas, saitek pedals, asus rog swift and because that is how i roll.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

To view the map I downloaded some hires maps and used an image viewer on the tablet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    160.45 MB

Hi Guys! Impressive setups! will this work with any usb tablet? such as this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Tab...8AAOSw4shX~Mfr

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    277.0 KB

Oh wow guys I am stealing some of these ideas starting with the chair glides and TV mounts.

Clever.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.14 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hnbdgr View Post
    Hi Guys! Impressive setups! will this work with any usb tablet? such as this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Tab...8AAOSw4shX~Mfr
    Virtual Cockpit will work on a tablet if you use twomonusb for PC and Android. That tablet you linked to is a bit small but usable. I recommend 8" to 10" tablets.

http://www.easynlight.com/en/twomonusb/

32. Likes hnbdgr liked this post