Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling stupidly worried about playing online

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.11 MB

Re: Feeling stupidly worried about playing online

Quote Originally Posted by Vlerkies View Post
    Your ground crew Herr Thelema

I love flying! The blonde on the end is the one that pulls my chocks.

Cheers
    Ribbs
    Last edited by ATAG_Ribbs; Jan-04-2017 at 14:18.
    Cheers
    Ribbs

INTEL I5 4670 /16 MB DDR3/ MSI Z97 PCMATE MB
    MSI GTX 1060 3 GIG
    WIN 7 64
    MS Sidewinder 2 precision pro Saitek x52 throttle quadrant

By ATAG_Lewis

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Noob feeling same as OP but much less so after reading these posts. Hilarious.
    All I have to do now is to be able to join the ATAG server but that's for another thread.
    Was able to join initially then not, then after about three days of nothing I get on once more then nothing since. Frustrating, but I look forward to joining you guys in the 109 when I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by nulli54 View Post
    All I have to do now is to be able to join the ATAG server but that's for another thread.
    Was able to join initially then not, then after about three days of nothing I get on once more then nothing since. Frustrating, but I look forward to joining you guys in the 109 when I can.
    I felt exactly the same way before I went online. I jumped in and found it to be brutal, unforgiving.... and utterly enthralling. Offline now feels so...empty. Now I just need to get a bit more confidence in using TeamSpeak cos I think that's going to make a huge difference.

The community is great, I'm sure someone will be able to advise you how to get around the technical problems you're encountering.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Because staring at three jugs is weird...?
    I guess the teacher was correct in telling me I can't count....oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    370.25 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Thelema View Post
    I would like to play on the servers in multiplayer but for some reason I'm unnecessarily anxious - stupid for someone who's almost 50 years of age, but there you go.

Never used Teamspeak or anything like that before - I did play a lot of MMO's before but I never went on audio chat...

Is there anything I should do before giving it a go in terms of general setup / etiquette / things to know? Any mods or addons I 'should' have installed?

Or is it a case of just diving in with both feet?

Thanks again
    I can relate Thelma...20 years and it's still like pulling teeth for me to be on coms...unless it's a friend

Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    110.68 MB

I would like to play on the servers in multiplayer but for some reason I'm unnecessarily anxious - stupid for someone who's almost 50 years of age, but there you go.

Never used Teamspeak or anything like that before - I did play a lot of MMO's before but I never went on audio chat...

Is there anything I should do before giving it a go in terms of general setup / etiquette / things to know? Any mods or addons I 'should' have installed?

Thanks again
    You should be worried, you're going to get destroyed for quite a while at first. We all go through it, don't let it stop you.

Just jump in and go for it, the sim police won't disappear you if you mess up.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

You don't have to talk if you are on comms, just listening will give you a ton of information and liven things up.

Locations of the fight, where people are taking off and landing, when Lucky is going for a smoke, when people are getting another drink, kids in the background yelling that it is their computer time, wives complaining about the trash not being taken out, when people are getting another drink, when somebody should check their six, when people are getting another drink, wives complaining in general, and when people are getting another drink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    You don't have to talk if you are on comms, just listening will give you a ton of information and liven things up.

Locations of the fight, where people are taking off and landing, when Lucky is going for a smoke, when people are getting another drink, kids in the background yelling that it is their computer time, wives complaining about the trash not being taken out, when people are getting another drink, when somebody should check their six, when people are getting another drink, wives complaining in general, and when people are getting another drink.
    Hahaha.... not to forget when someone in the background dropped all the washing up.

fond memories....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Sorry Spiritus, I must have left me Mic on a trip some point when you were listening... l

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Lol, I'm pretty quiet on TS but listening is always entertaining and informative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Hey Nulli54, I am just along the coast from you in Great Yarmouth, and I fly a spit usually, so if you are in a 109 we may meet in the skies to rekindle that old Norfolk / Suffolk rivalry. Nice to know that some new players fly 109's, all the ones I have encountered are flaming experts that shoot me down with ease

Hope to see you in the virtual skies soon

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Thanks again
    I am hardly a confident kind of guy and was nervous as hell about getting on comms when I started to play this about a year ago, but when I did I soon found that I had nothing at all to worry about, and soon I started to fly regularly with a fellow group of newer players that I still fly with now. We have a lot of fun and help each other in what is, let's face it , a difficult game to master. We often have experienced vets drop into our TS channel to help us out and if you haven't done so already I strongly recomend that you get on TS and introduce yourself. You won't regret it

Have fun, laser

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

laser's/Highsea's/Vamp's/Marlow/Lewis compact is kinda the whole ethos of ATAG is a neat little bundle. Power to you Sirs!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    laser's/Highsea's/Vamp's/Marlow/Lewis compact is kinda the whole ethos of ATAG is a neat little bundle. Power to you Sirs!
    Aww shucks!

It's a damn fine community. No doubt.

Cheers chaps!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

15. Likes ATAG_Laser, ATAG_Vampire, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've been flying online MP flight sims for nearly six years now, off and on. Spent most of that time in Rise of Flight, where I finally 'took the leap' with Teamspeak after having the same trepidation that almost everyone does at first.

Years later... still enjoying the company of the squad of guys I started flying with in ROF, we have great fun, lots of laughs and help each other get the most out of the game.

Have just come over to CloD now that it's running so nice on 4.32 (thanks to the Team Fusion folks). Just tonight spent a couple hours on the Axis & Allies server flying with Team Red. I jumped on Teamspeak and just listened to the chatter for a bit, there was a good crew on from Australia who were well coordinated and giving the Blue team hell. Was helpful to hear the way people were liking to communicate, felt very immersive and almost like actually "being there."

Not long after that (and after a server map change), I got my Spitfire up in the air and started participating myself, mimicking the type of direct and to-the-point chatter I'd been hearing. I felt quite in the swim of things right away and was immediately able to help with spotting aircraft and vectoring my comrades (and being vectored myself) to the fight. It was good fun! Really liked it. Great people.

So, anyways... there's another newbie's contemporaneous perspective for you. See you online, I hope!
    Last edited by surfimp; Jan-15-2017 at 02:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Welcome Surfimp.

Great first post mate.

As one of the Aussie contingent (though don't think I was on when you describe), it's great to hear your thoughts on how the brethren go 'in battle'.

Like all Aussies, we take pride in having a red hot go, a important cultural thing for us, and if that, in some way mimics those that did this for real, than that's good enough for us.

Hope you enjoy our community as much as we do. Will keep a look out for ya.

Pattle

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yes Laserlight there is some 109 cannon fodder around. I won't be flying straight and level though, I haven't mastered that yet.
    Popped my teamspeak cherry last week, a whole bunch of guys flying around me talking me in to my first staying on the wheels with a straight prop landing. It was great fun,extremely tricky and a bit stressful,but in a good way like a first driving lesson. Since then I've flown around a bit and practiced my gunnery skills on stationary targets like houses, they can be so difficult to hit too...
    Talking online holds no further horrors, well apart from some dodgy accents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Haha!

Welcome aboard!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Yes Laserlight there is some 109 cannon fodder around. I won't be flying straight and level though, I haven't mastered that yet.
    Popped my teamspeak cherry last week, a whole bunch of guys flying around me talking me in to my first staying on the wheels with a straight prop landing. It was great fun,extremely tricky and a bit stressful,but in a good way like a first driving lesson. Since then I've flown around a bit and practiced my gunnery skills on stationary targets like houses, they can be so difficult to hit too...
    Talking online holds no further horrors, well apart from some dodgy accents.
    A good way to practice gunnery skills and test loadouts / convergence settings is to fly on the Lead Farm server. It is a target rich environment and the AI fighters are not aggressive, which means that fighting them will not prepare you for fighting manned fighters on the ATAG servers, but it's great for getting your eye in

21. Likes farley liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Wait a minute now....Feeling stupidly worried about playing online??......Have you seen my gunnery skills? You have a better chance of getting hit by an albatross than you do being hit hard from a shot from me. I'm the guy that sneaks up puts out 200 rounds hits you with one but scares you so bad you jink around stall your plane and crash so I get the kill.

I think I tried for an entire day flying playing in the server before I got farther than 10 Km from an Air Field. Blown coolant radiator, Blown engine, broken governor, bent landing gear.

Then finally I saw my first Spitfire and flopped. Then as I spawned in and....... he strafed me.

The key is take your time and don't take yourself very seriously here and you'll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by JG51Ogg View Post

The key is take your time and don't take yourself very seriously here and you'll be fine.
    Absolutely !!!

So easy to let this get the better of you... it's realistic enough !!

Calm is absolutely key ! and arsing about from time to time.

(ok ok... minute to minute)

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

24. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    Hey Guys...I've never thought of us as 'a neat little bundle'..........but I think we should take that as a mega compliment! Cheers Boo!

26. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Hey Guys...I've never thought of us as 'a neat little bundle'..........but I think we should take that as a mega compliment! Cheers Boo!
    Yes, thanks Bo. It's great to know that we are making such a positive contribution to the community

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Absolutely !!!

So easy to let this get the better of you... it's realistic enough !!

Calm is absolutely key ! and arsing about from time to time.

(ok ok... minute to minute)
    Take it from me, whenever you are in a dark place with this sim, when those yellow noses have been shooting you down time and time again, just get yourself over to the bomber server for a good arseing about session. Try a bit of air racing for example, take a trip up the Thames and fly under Tower bridge, or try Highsea's latest idea that we done a week or so ago, someone flies a Sukoi and everyone else flies fighters and try and shoot him down, not as easy as it sounds I can assure you, but brilliant fun

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

You have got it dead right there laser.

CloD is a Combat Flight Sim but it is more than that.

I always return to what is on this forums home page.........."FUN AND COMRADERY"........and " A company of friends having a blast flying Cliffs of Dover".

This for me says it all and long may it continue.

~S~
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Another trick to become instantly famous on Teamspeak...join a channel and present yourself as a woman playing Cliffs of Dover...but be very careful then about the various " Rodolfo Valentino's bees " that most probably will immediately show up attracted by the honey!
    Last edited by Erpr.Gr.210_Mölders; Jan-22-2017 at 13:11.
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12