Thread: Where is realistic cloud choice option ?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Where is realistic cloud choice option ?

Hi,
    I need to fly my test colours with clouds giving aircraft in shadow. Choice of weather in FMB and also single mission is Clear or Light Clouds or Medium Clouds. No heavy cloud or even 10/10 cloud yet such existed in BoB period 1940, they even had rain.

Why is there no realistic weather choice to give weather as in BoB period ?

I opted for medium clouds expecting 6/10 cloud yet its only got occasional small dollops of cloud, more like 2/10, no good at all as there is no shadow to be easily found anywhere.

Have we any means of getting a wider realistic choice of weather. I can't test my Luft colours out unless I can find some shadow.

Is there another way of getting more shadow to fly in ?

Just lost 3 days to trying to fix lousy shadow effects on aircraft battling with supposed awesome GTX970. Now I cant find any shadow to fly in.

BOBC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Re: Where is realistic cloud choice option ?

Please read this thread:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6389

You have to fly for a bit for clouds to generate but they do generate!

You will see clouds like this attached IF you follow the instructions in that thread, cheers, MP

20170103141616_1.jpg
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi MysticPuma.
    Followed your steps there, thanks.
    had to do the
    [MOD]
    ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

with a one line gap at base of the code.

is that correct, as find [MOD] found nothing.

Flown FMB, flew for a minute , just had one small batch of clouds, very clear day, had Medium Cloud selected for parametsr for the mission.

How long does one have to fly for ?

Will they suddenly all show up, go from 1/10 to 8/10 ?

Crazy the sim has 1/10 for medium clouds.

I wonder how many more months IL2 team would have worked on CoD to get it operational had they not been forced to release it.

BOBC

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Please read this thread:

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6389

You have to fly for a bit for clouds to generate but they do generate!

You will see clouds like this attached IF you follow the instructions in that thread, cheers, MP

20170103141616_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

If you have the extended clods option correctly installed simply choose the Single Player Mission (I think it is called London Attack) which has a default setting of you in a Squadron of Spitfires against incoming He-111's.

If you start that mission at default with Medium clouds you will see clouds like the one's in my image as that's the mission I took the image in.

If you only see small clouds or they pop into view, the mod hasn't been installed/input in the correct area.

Cheers, MP
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Remember you have to have your graphics turned up... landscape detail has to be high or your modified .ini still won't do anything.

You can fly in clear skies with medium clouds, just depends, then 5 minutes later be surrounded.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ll=1#post67806

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Hi,
    Land detail is set to High and I coded the config file carefully as per instructions and as detailed in last post.
    The London one has indicated clear for weather, in fact most are set clear.

I chose custom and made weather medium cloud. There are clouds in my vicinity but beyond everything is clear. I flew for 5 mins and started to see 'flak' clouds, they suddenly appear from clear sky. Just a single cotton wool ball puff. Then another forms then slowly more and they become a cloud mass.

I exited that flight and chose hunt with medium cloud and found myself in Me109 at coast of France, no clouds over me, or anywhere near me, just some encircling us on a very big diameter, 4/10 coverage just where there was cloud in our vicinity but nothing beyond that 'circle', 4/10 I guess is medium, no way of getting 5/10 or more it seems at all. Beyond these the weather is 1/10 that being high cirrus. I headed for a clear patch and after a few mins a small cloud suddenly appeared like flak , clouds appear in what was clear sky as one continues, took 20 mins to get to one of these clouds at full throttle and during that time I was under clear sky all the way. I am seeing more cloud with that MOD but not true weather clouds everywhere as per reality giving dense coverage.

To fly and be under cloud is not a quick task.

For me, trying to get cloud coverage e.g. 8/10 cloud or even 10/10 so aircraft is under cloud from the start or within a small amount of effort appears not possible.

I think the sim is coded this way, cloud is only in the vicinity of the aircraft, all the scene beyond them is a fine blue day.

Fly to a clear area and you can make them form gradually in what was clear sky. Bit odd/unrealistic seeing a cloud suddenly appear from nothing. Then another and another.

A scene of the channel and Britain under cloud is not possible, its always a superb fine clear day everywhere except nearby.

BOBC

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    Remember you have to have your graphics turned up... landscape detail has to be high or your modified .ini still won't do anything.

You can fly in clear skies with medium clouds, just depends, then 5 minutes later be surrounded.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ll=1#post67806

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    7.46 MB

Yes clouds are rendered inside the "view bubble". This is not new news. If you want thicker cloud try using the weather fronts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Hi BOBC, resurrecting this thread after a great post by Bonkin at ACG in this link:

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8373

Cheers, Mysticpuma

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

MP beat me to it. Bonkin over at ACG wrote up a great couple of posts about weather. Worth the read.

Part 1:

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/foru...php?f=5&t=8360

Part 2:

http://www.aircombatgroup.co.uk/foru...php?f=5&t=8373

10. Likes Mysticpuma liked this post