Thread: Spotting

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Spotting

I was wondering if anyone has any hints on spotting contacts? I regularly use the Tab 7-1 to point me in the right direction but at what distance could I expect them to become visual? And once you've found them how on earth do you keep them in view, especially after you start manoeuvring? I do use a TrackIR so can swivel my head around but I very quickly lose sight after a few turns, especially if either of us go vertical. And I know that once I've lost sight it's usually all over.

I guess there is some consolation to be found in the knowledge that it's theoretically just as hard for the bad guy to spot me.

Sorry to ask so many questions....but just as soon as I start to get to grips with some aspects of flying online I struggle with another!

Cheers

2. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Re: Spotting

Don't take your eyes off the bad guy in a fight in the first place. Anticipate where he's going and keep looking, he's there. Of course the longer it takes the more likely that he isn't there anymore and you have to expand the search area.

I guess there is some consolation to be found in the knowledge that it's theoretically just as hard for the bad guy to spot me
    Very likely not. He's had a lot of practice picking out the dots and has his settings optimized to see as far as possible. You do have to train yourself not just to glance over there but to take enough time to focus on distant things. Look at the little details on a far away cloud, now your eyes are focused at distance. You'll see distant dots better.
    With no input (blank sky) your eyes naturally focus a few feet in front of you. Find something far away and take a good look at it for details every now and then.
    Start with this thread anyway.
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...t=stare+pixels
    Last edited by Perfesser; Jan-21-2017 at 14:10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.45 MB

Quote Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has any hints on spotting contacts? I regularly use the Tab 7-1 to point me in the right direction but at what distance could I expect them to become visual? And once you've found them how on earth do you keep them in view, especially after you start manoeuvring? I do use a TrackIR so can swivel my head around but I very quickly lose sight after a few turns, especially if either of us go vertical. And I know that once I've lost sight it's usually all over.

I guess there is some consolation to be found in the knowledge that it's theoretically just as hard for the bad guy to spot me.

Sorry to ask so many questions....but just as soon as I start to get to grips with some aspects of flying online I struggle with another!

Cheers
    It is hard by default bud.
    There are some things that give people an advantage though, playing with big monitors or tv's, maybe knocked down res 1 step, helps make the dots in the distance more visible.
    With Nvidia if your machine can handle it, anisotropic filtering set to 16x accentuates the dots, but also makes shimmering on maps in the distance worse, at least for me, ymmv.

The absolute best advice is to fly always as a pair/rotte, or more.
    Wide spacing, cannot emphasize this enough. None of this look at me I can fly tight formation nonesense and be in an airshow, wide spacing, just so you can keep tabs on your wingy in black dot format.
    This will exponentially increase your survivability online, as if you can see your wingy, and he can see you, you can see anything coming up to hurt you or him.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4036&dateline=1382347  940

If it's brown, shoot it down!

5. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Highseas, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Cheers
    4 km is visual range... 5 if you are using a TV I'm told.

basically if you have 4 or less you are pretty much on each other... Altitude is a different thing mind as the Tab 7 1 doesn't take account of altitude... its basically giving you the call out from a top down map view.

radar get lost below about 1,000ft so if your guy vanishes... he's probably gone to deck. (you can do this too obviously !!)

spotting low contacts over ground is very difficult and its very very easy to loose someone you have eyes on just by looking behind.

if you check out some U Tube videos... some of the time I'm wondering who the hell these guys are chasing... then you see them.

It does get easier as you get more experience... but not much to be honest !

what does help is recognising what someone is LIKELY to do next...

and keeping eyes on all the time isn't a great idea.. you need to be checking six as well.

Basically it gets easier... but we all have our good and bad days none the less!

4 km.... (altitude is your guess !!)
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Jan-21-2017 at 15:16. Reason: Spoll chucker

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

7. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Additional:

You will often see more when you are NOT zoomed in.

You can test this when you see a bomber formation... just within visual range.

Zoom in... GONE !!!!! same with the ships from far out.

so be aware that zooming in isn't necessarily a great idea.. especially when only just in visual range.

Quirkey huh ?!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

and keeping eyes on all the time isn't a great idea.. you need to be checking six as well.
    That's your partners job. Shooters job is to keep eyes on the target, wingman watches 6. No wingman you say? Expect to be dead .. a lot. Get one. Join a squad or find a partner to fly with, you cannot fly combat alone. Period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    you cannot fly combat alone. Period.
    Oh contraire !!

You may do as you wish so long as you do it with a grin !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

11. Likes ATAG_Septic, DerDa, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Thanks guys.

My low point came today...I'd been tailing a Stuka quite nicely....then lost sight. Then he shot me down while I was bumbling around trying to reacquire him. Oh the shame...!

Still, fair play to him. I made mistakes and paid the price....

13. Likes ATAG_Highseas, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Thanks guys.

My low point came today...I'd been tailing a Stuka quite nicely....then lost sight. Then he shot me down while I was bumbling around trying to reacquire him. Oh the shame...!

Still, fair play to him. I made mistakes and paid the price....
    No shame in that at all... Stukas are hard work at the best of times !

Most (me too) will say "Check Six"... but more important that that by far...

Keep an eye on the fun gauge. It's the most important gauge there is barr none.

If it dips below about 90% leave it to warm up again.

See you up there Screwdriver !

'Seas

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

15. Likes screwdriver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Absolutely no reason to be ashamed.

Many Hurricane and Spitfire pilots (including me) find it very hard to fight against a well flown Stuka.
    That's because the da... thing is somewhat slower but turns better than your ac.
    So you have to act against everything you trained yourself for a fight against the 109. The roles are swapped and you have to be the energy fighter. As a rule, never try to dive with a Stuka and never try to turn with it.

And another thing: I can't call myself a noob anymore, but there are some guys around here, who would shoot me down even if I flew a Me 262 and they a Tigermoth (and I do know that the Moth has no armament ).

S!

DerDa

17. Likes screwdriver, farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    As a rule, never try to dive with a Stuka and never try to turn with it.
    hahah... !

Pretty much sums up my sentiments on the irritating '87 !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

19. Likes screwdriver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Keeping eyes on with TrackIR...and following the target while manoeuvring...and flying backwards (or checking 6 for long periods)...is just practice...Anyone can kill an enemy who hasn't seen them...Engaging one that has is where the real player/pilot gets to use all his skills...As I say its just practice...

You have to get use to being killed a lot at first in order to get the practice required in multiplayer...

The 'Contact spotting mission' is a good start too...That will tell you if your game, software and hardware are set up the best for play...

A large monitor will help no end for spotting too...

PS...I usually ignore stukas...They are over-modelled at present and will be addressed in the upcoming patch from what I hear...Until then tangle with them at your peril...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-21-2017 at 18:18.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

21. Likes ATAG_Highseas, screwdriver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Haha, cheers fellas.

Fun gauge is definitely still bouncing off the 100% mark! Loving it...

23. Likes ATAG_Highseas, farley liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Cheers
    Hi Screwdriver,

I can spot a co-alt contact at 13 km as they are above the horizon. If they are lower then visual detection becomes tricky due to ground clutter and light level and sun position. One thing that helps is to hunt overwater - this removes ground clutter somewhat but be aware that if u are overwater then you are easier to see by someone above you.

Also wit time u will figure out standard patterns that most players follow. Ie many enemy pilots take off from base A and head towards area X and climb at the same time and are often at around Z altitude when they get to X. Extra clever enemy will then do something different and try and bounce people trying to bounce people flying the standard pattern. Cat and mouse and all good fun.

Like Lew and others said it takes practice and more practice for it to become second nature.

Ezzie

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    376.42 MB

Hello screwdriver I've the same question when I start playing Cliffs.

Few things

1st The bigger the better

2nd Calibrate your TV/Monitor colors using the window tool is easy step by step proceedure

3rd Then like Perfesser says do that
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...t=stare+pixels

4th Practice

5th some more

6th again

Good luck
    It takes an airplane to bring out the worst in a pilot.
    ((dB)) youTube Channel

26. Likes screwdriver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    495 Bytes

I find spotting other planes easy (but then I do use a triplescreen setup) it's IDENTIFYING them I find hard. Even when fairly close in a furball I still find it hard deciding who's chasing who and this leads to many of my deaths as I just end up flying around in a fight not knowing who to shoot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1,002.26 MB

Normally I start spotting aircraft contacts at a range of about 14 Km ( ATAG main server ).
    Note in addition that the visibility distance at which you will start spotting aircraft contacts is depending also on the settings and parameters that the server has\uses about it, independently to your computer settings.

An example ( same pc settings on both servers ):

ATAG Main server: about 14 km

Storm of War server: about 10-12 km

I hope this could help!
    Visit the Robert Mölders Facebook Group ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    Visit the Robert Mölders YouTube Channel ( Left-click on the red link on the left to open the relative page! )
    *Important Note: You can also open the Robert Mölders Facebook Group page by clicking directly on my signature image

My PC specs
    Windows 10 Pro 64 bit ~ Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz 8MB Cache Quad core
    ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING Motherboard, Socket 1151 ATX, Dual M.2, USB 3.1 Type-C ~ MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G Graphic Card PCIE 3.0, 11 GB, GDDR5X 352 bit, 11.01 GHz, 1569 MHz
    Samsung MZ-V6E250BW SSD 960 EVO, 250 GB, M.2, NVMe ~ Western Digital WD Caviar Blue 2TB 64MB Cache, WD20EZRZ (64MB Cache) ~ Enermax Liqmax II 240 (ELC-LMR240S-BS)
    Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX RAM 16 GB, 2x8 GB, DDR4, 3000 MHz, CL15 ~ EVGA SuperNOVA GQ PSU 750W ~ NZXT CA-N450W-M1 Case for Gaming PC, Black
    LG 49UK6200PLA TV 49" 4K UltraHD, IPS Display, 4096 x 2160, Active HDR, Multitasking ~ LG 27UD68P Monitor 27" 4K UltraHD LED IPS, 3840 x 2160, AMD FreeSync, Multitasking
    Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick ~ Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle ~ Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Wow !!

a few here with 14-15km potting range !!

way beyond mine !!

unless its a group of bombers....

Single contact though... tiny 109...

5 absolute tops.

Not using a TV though.

27" IPS full HD monitor here.

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I find spotting other planes easy (but then I do use a triplescreen setup) it's IDENTIFYING them I find hard. Even when fairly close in a furball I still find it hard deciding who's chasing who and this leads to many of my deaths as I just end up flying around in a fight not knowing who to shoot.
    Okay, I can definitely relate to this as well! When I do eventually spot the pixels, figuring out who's who is an order of magnitude harder! I'm always erring on the side of caution and trying to get close enough to make a positive ID...then once I've identified the bad guy I try to keep my eye on him - which of course leaves my six vulnerable.

Definitely see the advantages of flying with wingmen!

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi Screwdriver

Looks as if you and I are in the same boat! If you want I'll look out for you when I join the server and fly with you - I am sure the combination will fill the enemy with fear! I don't know if there is a private messaging thing on here, but if there is let me know when you're up next and I'll try to get you on TeamSpeak.

This is only on the condition that you don't laugh at my take-offs, some can be a bit adventurous!

MM

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Using the right res for my 27inch screen, 1920 by 1080, I can see 7-8 miles out, so about 12 kms.

If your graphics card can handle higher res, you can choose that, but it will smooth our your graphics, taking out the longer range dot. I tried that early on so I could get better looking graphics but the lack of distance put my at a dis advantage, so like many traded eye candy for longer spotting aka survivability.

Re identifying aircraft. Have the zoom in and our keys handy on your stick or throttle. If you don't know where to find those in settings, let me know, as they are a bit obscurely named.. I use them all the time, including as my lean to site version, except on the 109 as I don't have Track IR, (I use Edtracker) allowing you to identify who's who in the zoo early enough to decide, who, how and when to join in.

Try not to get target fixated, look back regularly. Sometimes doing that may mean you lose the one in front temporarily, but it might save thy bacon.

Pattle

33. Likes ATAG_Vampire, screwdriver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Good point!... I meant 5 miles not 5km !

I'm a sucker for eye candy..... Max settings for me!....

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

Like Pat I have dialled down the graphics setting on my 1080. The highest resolution was great but not for spotting contacts in CloD.

On the settings I use at the moment I reakon I can spot at about 12 -13 Kms.

Zoom is a must for identifying friend of foe in plenty of time.

~S~
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

36. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    Like Pat I have dialled down the graphics setting on my 1080. The highest resolution was great but not for spotting contacts in CloD.

On the settings I use at the moment I reakon I can spot at about 12 -13 Kms.

Zoom is a must for identifying friend of foe in plenty of time.

~S~
    sort of goes like this:

"Hey vamps... you said bombers? Where? I don't see them"

"On your port wing mate.. you cant miss them"

"Erm.. no... I don't see them... you sure?

"On your port wing 'Seas. Nine bombers, formation of 4 and a formation of 5. You see them now ? Big huge bombers with big huge engines. They are right there. Co-Alt !"

"Negati... oh... oh yeah I see them now"

It's as if I were clairvoyant... (I foresee that I'm not though)

How cares though right? I get all the eye candy !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    156.12 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem marshy View Post
    Hi Screwdriver

Looks as if you and I are in the same boat! If you want I'll look out for you when I join the server and fly with you - I am sure the combination will fill the enemy with fear! I don't know if there is a private messaging thing on here, but if there is let me know when you're up next and I'll try to get you on TeamSpeak.

This is only on the condition that you don't laugh at my take-offs, some can be a bit adventurous!

MM
    I'll look out for you mate, would be good to team up. I can just see the enemy quaking with fear now simply at the suggestion.

I tend to jump on at weekends. Not sure where in the world you are, I'm in NZ, but go online either mornings or evenings Sat/Sun. This coming Sunday is looking good for me at this stage. I do go on TeamSpeak but when there's a lot of guys on I tend to listen more than speak cos they usually know a lot more than I do. Good way to learn, I figure. But yes, if I see you on there I'll give you a yell.

39. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I'm in the frosty UK. I'll be around tomorrow at various times, but will keep an eye out for you when I go to join the fun...

41. Likes ATAG_Highseas liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    4 km is visual range... 5 if you are using a TV I'm told.

basically if you have 4 or less you are pretty much on each other... Altitude is a different thing mind as the Tab 7 1 doesn't take account of altitude... its basically giving you the call out from a top down map view.radar get lost below about 1,000ft so if your guy vanishes... he's probably gone to deck. (you can do this too obviously !!)

spotting low contacts over ground is very difficult and its very very easy to loose someone you have eyes on just by looking behind.

if you check out some U Tube videos... some of the time I'm wondering who the hell these guys are chasing... then you see them.

It does get easier as you get more experience... but not much to be honest !

what does help is recognising what someone is LIKELY to do next...

Basically it gets easier... but we all have our good and bad days none the less!

4 km.... (altitude is your guess !!)

are you sure about this? I keep getting contacts that show 3k of separation and are changing headings rapidly, like type in tab 7 1 and the response is heading 180 3km then type it in again and the heading is 330 3km, then I will find them above or below me at much less than 3km of horizontal separation. The rapidly changing heading is usually my first clue that I have passed over or below them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Well.... Generally I'm not sure about anything much.

But.... Yeah... On that I think so.

Now I'm full of doubt..... Curses!

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

44. Likes ATAG_Pattle, ATAG_Marlow liked this post