Thread: Confused and frustrated

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Confused and frustrated

Hi, I am a new owner of Cliffs of dover, and I am experiencing a few problems thats frustrating me a lot!

First, I'm having trouble assigning keys to commands and getting them to work. For example, I assigned a key to bail out, but it almost never works. Finally I did get it to once, but I haven't been able to repeat it despite changing it to many different keys. Same with jettisoning canopy and a few other things. Sometimes my assignments work fine; it seems random

Also my brakes seems to not be working properly. many times I'll start my engine and cannot top rolling forward, even though it says brakes are engaged.

And lately the landscape graphics are having issues, I don't know enough about computers to know what it is, or describe it, so I attached a screenshot.
    Can anyone help me out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Confused and frustrated

Can you post your computer specs please?

And post a larger photo, I can't really see the issue from the thumbnail shot.

As far as the bindings... do you have any conflicting bindings and are they keyboard or joystick? USB connection?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

Remember to hit apply when you do assign something but perhaps not all are an assignment problem.

I assigned a key to bail out, but it almost never works.
    You can't always bail out. If you're going too fast or are injured for instance. Not sure about the canopy.

many times I'll start my engine and cannot top rolling forward
    What plane? Brakes alone won't stop a SpitIIa, you need to lower prop pitch as well
    Last edited by Perfesser; Feb-25-2017 at 19:08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Question Re: Confused and frustrated

Quote Originally Posted by jg19915 View Post

Also my brakes seems to not be working properly. many times I'll start my engine and cannot top rolling forward, even though it says brakes are engaged.
    I also have the problem with the brakes. Doesn't matter how much i press down on the assigned key stroke (Space Bar).

The aircraft still moves and usually sideways.

Best regards,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Dogbert.....change lower your prop...the aircraft will still creep with full prop and brakes on even with 0% throttle...

Also check your brakes...bottom left in Spits....The brakes respond to rudder so if you have rudder twisted one direction the brakes will only work on one wheel...Check the dial and watch the 2 pointers go up and down when you add rudder...

Get on TS too...You'll get lots help and fast there...

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

6. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Welcome to the community and forums jg19915...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve anyway..

Beginners Guide Link Here

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!...

How to set up Teamspeak

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact Spotting Test

and....Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Dogbert.....change lower your prop...the aircraft will still creep with full prop and brakes on even with 0% throttle...

Also check your brakes...bottom left in Spits....The brakes respond to rudder so if you have rudder twisted one direction the brakes will only work on one wheel...Check the dial and watch the 2 pointers go up and down when you add rudder...

Get on TS too...You'll get lots help and fast there...

...Lew...
    Thanks very much Lew, only flying the Rotol 100 Hurri, buddy.

But i have been putting the prop pitch on 100% before starting the engine.

Better change my modus operandi then.

TS is installed but i cannot get the mic to work, sorry.

Many thanks for the further advice.
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    Thanks very much Lew, only flying the Rotol 100 Hurri, buddy.

But i have been putting the prop pitch on 100% before starting the engine.

Better change my modus operandi then.

TS is installed but i cannot get the mic to work, sorry.

Many thanks for the further advice.
    Mike.
    You need to have the prop pitch set to 100% to take off... remember that.

You can lower it while taxing, but when you line up on the runway, and get into position, bring your throttle to zero, brake to a stop, and then the prop pitch back up to 100%.

Then feet off brakes, add just enough throttle, (30%) to get rolling, make sure you are rolling in a straight line, and then gradually feed in throttle till you are at 100%. You don't need to use Boost Cutout, (110% power) on takeoff.

Remember, you are steering with your rudder, the brakes just improve the rudder's efficiency in altering direction.

10. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbert View Post
    I also have the problem with the brakes. Doesn't matter how much i press down on the assigned key stroke (Space Bar).

The aircraft still moves and usually sideways.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    You can also assign a key to apply chocks which will stop your aircraft from creeping forwards
    B

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

12. Likes ATAG_Vampire liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Remember too you need to hold the brake key. Otherwise you'll see:

Brakes100%
    Brakes0%

As Laser said the easiest way to stop creep is to simply assign a joystick button to apply chocks. This allows you to run up your engine too for shorter takeoffs, provided you can control the engine torque/rudder swing/wind

It's a challenging game for sure but stick with it. You'll iron out all your little problems quite quickly. Until you start on dogfighting
    'The world is wide, full of happenings.
    Keep that in mind and never believe,
    I'm the only one that knows' - Tesshu

Intel i5 3.4 - 8GB RAM - GTX750ti

14. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Quote Originally Posted by RAF74_Buzzsaw View Post
    You need to have the prop pitch set to 100% to take off... remember that.

You can lower it while taxing, but when you line up on the runway, and get into position, bring your throttle to zero, brake to a stop, and then the prop pitch back up to 100%.

Then feet off brakes, add just enough throttle, (30%) to get rolling, make sure you are rolling in a straight line, and then gradually feed in throttle till you are at 100%. You don't need to use Boost Cutout, (110% power) on takeoff.

Remember, you are steering with your rudder, the brakes just improve the rudder's efficiency in altering direction.
    Hi RAF74_Buzzsaw,

many thanks buddy, i was putting the pitch setting at 100% before starting the engine.

Oh yes i know i am steering with my rudder. That's why the aircraft does more twirls and 360's on the ground, than in Come Dancing.

Thanks very much,
    Mike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Hi Laser & Prophet,

didn't realise about the chocks, better assign a key. Good info thank you.

I get brakes 100%, 50% & 0% for some reason whilst holding the button down.

Must be the 100% pitch setting dragging the aircraft around.

Challenging !!! SAS selection would be easier .

Thank you both for replying.

Best regards,
    Mike.

17. Likes ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

First, I'm having trouble assigning keys to commands and getting them to work. For example, I assigned a key to bail out, but it almost never works.
    Bail out in CLOD is conditioned be:

1 - You have minimal altitude.
    2 - Your plane are not doing high G maneuvers/spin.
    3 - You need "open" or "jettstion" canopy first.

For 3 aren't a "universal" way for all planes, some has his peculiarities, in Spitfire you just need "open canopy", in Bf 109 you may don't achieve open canopy due their heaviness and slipstream, so you need "jettision canopy", Hurricane too need jettision and even Fiat G.50 despite this don't have canopy the command will eject their side doors - what maybe is a "It's CloD", but is need do.

This point 3 show you that some commands work for some planes, but not for another, similar behavior with magneto selection:
    In some planes is toggle switches in other are rotaries switches, so the keys assigned for one don't work for another. But don't bother with this, magneto selection has no practical use in CloD, is just "cosmetic" thing, and for casual "what if" use mouse click instead assign keys.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Feb-26-2017 at 17:43.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

CPU: Intel Core i5 (6th Gen) 6200U / 2.3 GHz
    6 GB Ram
    Graphics Processor: Intel HD Graphics 520
    Windows 10
    20170225171713_1.jpg
    I don't think there are any conflicting bindings, and they're on the keyboard. I may have found the solution to that though thanks to some other replies.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Your GPU is probably the reason for the graphic issue. Have you tried lowering all the settings?

These are the recommend specs for two issues I see, your GPU and Ram:

NVidia GTX 960 2gb
    8 gb DDR3 RAM

There are more than a few people around here who play on laptops but those two issues above are problematic.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Feb-27-2017 at 13:17.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    19.59 MB

Ok I lowered my settings and the issue cleared up. I think I also fixed my other problems--many thanks, to everyone!

22. Likes ♣_Spiritus_♣, Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Graphics Processor: Intel HD Graphics 520
    This is Intel HD is integrated video chip in Motherboard, no suitable for 3D games, you need a dedicated PCI-E Video Card, preferable NVidea.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Hi, I am a new owner of Cliffs of dover, and I am experiencing a few problems thats frustrating me a lot!

First, I'm having trouble assigning keys to commands and getting them to work. For example, I assigned a key to bail out, but it almost never works. Finally I did get it to once, but I haven't been able to repeat it despite changing it to many different keys. Same with jettisoning canopy and a few other things. Sometimes my assignments work fine; it seems random
    Hi. As I see, nobody mentioned yet, you NEED to switch off the "anthropomorphic control" in the difficulty settings! It is switched off in every online servers too.
    The original idea was to simulate the pilot's "workload" in the cockpit, and this setting allowed to use only two thing in the same time. In practice the PC controllers produce lot of fake signals, which you may not notice at all (for example throttle oscillate between 80-81%), but the program think that you change the throttle constantly - and don't allow to use anything else.

So switch it off, and your controls problem will be gone.

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

25. Likes farley, jg19915 liked this post
    5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

Quote Originally Posted by VO101_Tom View Post
    Hi. As I see, nobody mentioned yet, you NEED to switch off the "anthropomorphic control" in the difficulty settings! It is switched off in every online servers too.
    The original idea was to simulate the pilot's "workload" in the cockpit, and this setting allowed to use only two thing in the same time. In practice the PC controllers produce lot of fake signals, which you may not notice at all (for example throttle oscillate between 80-81%), but the program think that you change the throttle constantly - and don't allow to use anything else.

So switch it off, and your controls problem will be gone.
    yeah take every advantage! - little known fact that some pilots in Clod actually do have 8 arms and two heads (one always looking at their six). Some also have unreal women like multitasking capabilities (ATAG_Dave actually knits scarves AND does the Times cryptic crossword whilst flying). No point adding complications when you're going up against these monsters!
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

27. Likes Hurricane, jg19915 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    136.69 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    yeah take every advantage! - little known fact that some pilots in Clod actually do have 8 arms and two heads (one always looking at their six). Some also have unreal women like multitasking capabilities (ATAG_Dave actually knits scarves AND does the Times cryptic crossword whilst flying). No point adding complications when you're going up against these monsters!
    Haha, Dave must be a quite skillful pilot then I'd rather not even imagine how can He fly if His both hands occupied, but until nobody enter the room without knocking, and start asking weird questions, the possibilities are endless

Win11, AMD 3900X, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 12GB, 128GB RAM, 3840x2160 UHD 43", Logitech G940, MFG Crosswind v3, TrackIr4Pro w Delanclip.
    VR: Samsung Odyssey+ (Windows Mixed Reality HMD), 2880x1600px total resolution.

29. Likes Hurricane, ATAG_Ribbs, ATAG_Dave liked this post