Thread: RAF Coltishall Jag

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

RAF Coltishall Jag

Hi all,

Was meeting my mrs (she works for Norfolk council in the UK) and outside is a old Jag remembering RAF Coltishall. Thought I would share an image of it for all those who remember it.

17194111_10158238582470431_1150063383_o.jpg

Jas
    My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.8GHz Quad -Core Processor (overclocked), Motherboard: MSI Intel Z270 SLI PLUS 7th/6th Gen USB2 Motherboard - Black, RAM: G.Skill 16GB DDR4-3400 16GB DDR4 3400MHz
    Video Card:GIGABYTE NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING OS: Windows 10

Joystick: Saitek X-52 Throttle: Saitek X-52

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Re: RAF Coltishall Jag

I lived for many years in the shadow of RAF Coltishall, so I grew up with Jaguars flying overhead, and I can also remember (just) the Lightnings before them.

I spent many a day during my school summer holidays with my mate at crash gate 4 watching Jags taking off and landing.

It was a great shame when the base closed, and of course the Jag in the picture was erected as a tribute to the station, and those that served there.

They also have one at The City of Norwich aviation museum on the edge of Norwich airport, and they have a couple of Jaguar cockpits there too, it's well worth a visit.

This got me wondering if there are still any Jaguars serving with the RAF, or if they have all been retired by now

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

Saitek pro Flight Yoke, quadrant and rudder pedals

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

3. Likes ATAG_Vampire, Jas107, ATAG_Marlow liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Vampire's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.88 MB

The Jaguar is no longer serving with the Royal Air Force.

The final RAF squadron to fly them was 6 Sqn. which disbanded in 2007.

o7
    "A nation that forgets its past has no future." - Winston Churchill

My Rig: CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quard -Core Processor, Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO ALPHA ATX LGA1151, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4x 8GB) DDR4- 3000
    Video Card:ASUS ROG STRIX RTX2080ti 11GB OS: Windows 10 Pro

Joystick: Virpil T50 Base with T50 Mongoose stick Throttle: Virpil T50 VPC HOTAS Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG348Q Ultawide Rudder Pedals: Slaw Device RF DORA

5. Likes Jas107, ATAG_Laser liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jas107 View Post
    Hi all,

Was meeting my mrs (she works for Norfolk council in the UK) and outside is a old Jag remembering RAF Coltishall. Thought I would share an image of it for all those who remember it.

Jas
    Nice pic Jas...thanks for sharing. I remember the Lightnings and then Phantoms. This was back in 1966 - 1979. I was 11/12. For me it was always the Lightnings. Two engines one on top of the other...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!

7. Likes Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I had a Dinky Jag....sigh!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

9. Likes ATAG_Laser, Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Vampire View Post
    The Jaguar is no longer serving with the Royal Air Force.

The final RAF squadron to fly them was 6 Sqn. which disbanded in 2007.

o7
    Coltishall had 3 squadrons of Jaguars, no's 6, 41 and 54 sqns.

Without looking it up I think it was in 2006 when the station closed, and I believe, (although don't quote me on this) that all 3 squadrons then moved up to Lossiemouth in Scotland.

Intel i5-2500 CPU @3.30GHZ Quad core , NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti , 8GB RAM , Windows 10 pro 64-Bit, ASUS VS 278 27" Monitor , Microsoft Sidewinder 2 Joystick

PS3 eye Head Tracker using Trackhat software. Secondary Head Tracker , Ed Tracker

11. Likes Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    212.17 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    Nice pic Jas...thanks for sharing. I remember the Lightnings and then Phantoms. This was back in 1966 - 1979. I was 11/12. For me it was always the Lightnings. Two engines one on top of the other...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!
    Marlow, I was very young, still at primary school when the lightnings were at Coltishall, and the BBMF were also based there at the time, so I also used to see the flights Spits and Hurri's flying over my home quite regularly.
    Coltishall at that time was a Lightning conversion unit, but around '73, '74 time the base became fully operational with Jaguars, and the BBMF moved up to Conningsby at about the same time.

The only Phantoms that I can remember were some visiting USAF F4's around 1977 time. Me and my mate cycled up to the edge of a field, under the flight path lights and they came over us so low, made a hell of a noise, really awesome to see

13. Likes ATAG_Pattle, Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Jas107 View Post
    Hi all,

Jas
    Cool... !

There is one at Shoreham too, in the southwest corner, accessible by road. And a Merlin engine normally in the window of Northbrook College (they have an automotive buidling on the site) , just east of the terminal building.

Well worth a look. and all for free.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

15. Likes ATAG_Laser, Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Marlow View Post
    ...went straight up! It must have been like strapping yourself to a V2! Salute!
    or a 109

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

17. Likes ATAG_Laser, Jas107 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    112.91 MB

My brother was based at Coltishall on Jaguars for a while and I remember sitting watching them fly on many occasions when I visited. One of my earliest memories and what I think really got me hooked on military aviation though, was attending a 56 squadron reunion day with my grandad back in the early eighties and sitting at the edge of the runway watching F4 Phantoms going vertical on full reheat. I can still remember the sight, sound and smell to this day and I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.
    A memory permanently etched in my brain.

19. Likes ATAG_Pattle, SIA_Sp00k, ATAG_Laser, Jas107 liked this post