Thread: Average vs. High End Rudder Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Average vs. High End Rudder Pedals

I have a decent, but limited, budget to work with to upgrade my flight sim equipment and wanted your thoughts on how to prioritize, especially with regard to rudder pedals.

For certain, I’d like to upgrade my GPU so that I can increase the graphics quality of the game and yield a higher average FPS. I currently have an Asus GTX 760, and have been thinking about upgrading to the MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB. I’m open to your thoughts on that – I’d be happy with whatever that can run CloD and BoS smoothly at high (doesn’t have to be ultra) settings.

I’d also like to upgrade my joystick. I currently have the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick. The VKB Gladiator Pro Mk II looks very appealing and seems to garner great reviews. I am mostly interested in WWII flight sims so I think it may fit my primary uses. The only issue is that the joystick does not have a twist axis for rudder so it will require me to purchase a set of rudder pedals. I can settle for the regular Gladiator Mk II with the twist axis, but I’m interested in the sturdier build and the metal base plate of the Pro model. I’ve also wanted to move away from the twist anyway and improve immersion with rudder pedals.

The issue is that at this point, I won’t be able to drop ~$500 for the GPU and the Gladiator Pro, AND another few hundred dollars for a set of high end rudder pedals (like the MFG crosswind). So I’ve been considering picking up the older CH pro rudder pedals or the Thrustmaster T.Flight pedals for cheap on eBay.

Finally to my question - How much does the quality of rudder pedals matter? Is there a huge difference between the CH Pro / Thrustmaster T.Flight pedals and the MFG crosswind in terms of the ability to accurately control the rudder?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: Average vs. High End Rudder Pedals

I think CH PRO it good option, despite be old model (1990's design) with "outdated" electronics (8 bits -256 "steeps" per axis, today standard is 10 bits - 1024 "steeps"), but is strong constructed and well treated will last decades - I update 2 from 1998/9 for USB and both still very good mechanically, and now "better than new" in electronics, since I install modern USB controller and HALL sensor ). CH used furnished replacement pot's in the past, don't know the situation actually.

Thrustmaster TFRP use 10 bits electronics but use low cost potentiometers (relative to CH), I think that will don't last longer like CH, anyway is option and cost less.
    Is considered by simmers too narrow, despite imitate Cessna 172 pedals.

Just avoid Saitek's, the MadCatz made models that still on sales under Logitech has QC issues.

I use VKB T-Rudder, same features of "high end models" (MFG, Slaw, Baur) - metal construction, bearings, CAM center, contactless sensor, minus brakes - is compact and cost less, but twice than the above models.

This "next generation" of pedals, due the use of bearings, contactless sensors give you a better, suave and precise control - sensor respond to just pressure of your foot, but don't think that will is "win" factor.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-14-2017 at 12:36.

3. Likes ATAG_Highseas, SharkBait, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Totally agree.

On a budget CH Pro.

They are excellent. (make sure you get USB ones mind not the old gameport ones.

I had a set before I eventually upgraded to crazy money (yippee!!) Slaw pedals.

CH are excellent value... come up on ebay usually around £50. Well worth it.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

5. Likes SharkBait liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I have a decent, but limited, budget to work with to upgrade my flight sim equipment and wanted your thoughts on how to prioritize, especially with regard to rudder pedals.
    I upgraded all my stuff bit by bit, trading in and up as I went along.

Its surprising how well you can do if you don't put a time limit on it.

Also selling stuff I no longer wanted helped imensely.

In my case it's been a slow steady upgrade.... still is !

For me the priority order is stick / head tracking / rudder pedals / throttle

Many others don't use rudder pedals.

CH kit generally is what I would recomend in the affordable range. Old, but solid. Saitek - NEVER again !
    Last edited by ATAG_Highseas; Mar-14-2017 at 14:50. Reason: General tidy up of terrible spellink

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

7. Likes SharkBait, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    319.97 MB

I switched from the Logitech G940 pedals to the MFG Crosswind - and it was like stepping from a 2CV (the "Duck", historical car from Citroën) into a Mercedes Benz S-Class... They are the most beautiful, handcrafted game controls I've ever had. I have the impression that my legwork improved a lot with them

I had the CHs here once, resoldering the contacts for a friend. I concur with what the others said: Sturdy, reliable, made to last repairable..., and ugly .

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    3.69 MB

I may be the lone voice of dissent here but my CH pedals lasted less than a year, caused no end of trouble shooting due to an intermittent short and were uncomfortably narrow to boot.

I've been using these Saiteks almost daily for at least 8 years, very happy with their value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Perfesser View Post
    I may be the lone voice of dissent here but my CH pedals lasted less than a year, caused no end of trouble shooting due to an intermittent short and were uncomfortably narrow to boot.

I've been using these Saiteks almost daily for at least 8 years, very happy with their value.
    Curses be upon you sir !

haha !..

only kidding.

I used their stuff.

never seemed to last more than 18 months for me.

wouldn't recommend. Not from my experience.

Happy you had a different experience! Muchley !

- Big Screen Beyond -

- TM Warthog Throttle -

Highseas Peripherals

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Had two pairs of CH Pedals over the years... worked great and lasted forever. Only problem were the wires inside would get twisted and break after 4-5 years, I'd have to re-solder them.

Now on a set of Saiteks... have worked extremely well for me and I like the foot position better than the CH... which was too narrow. Still have my last CH pedals and they still work.

No complaints about either brand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Bloody rudder pedals..Don't ask me to comment on this thread!!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

13. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    365.25 MB

Plastic or Fantastic.

That's all I have to add
    https://imgur.com/VCUiXpY

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Bloody rudder pedals..Don't ask me to comment on this thread!!

Methinks his springs are a little too strong!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Saitek pedals here and a happy customer. Affordable and reliable. Much better than the Saitek joystick, which has a ton of stuff but i had to open it for a quite number of times to glue/ducktape/weld the wires inside. They are weird, not many "bendable" (does this word apply here?) and therefor they break with all the twists i do on the stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Problem with Saitek pedal - besides MadCatz "lottery" QC - is that only PRO Flight model remain in sale by Logitech and overpriced (Amazon.com):

Saitek PRO Flight ~ 170$
    CH PRO ~ 100$
    Thrustmaster TFRP ~ 85$

A used CH pedals is easily repairable if need - since owner has DIY skill - Saitek, due lack of spare parts (potentiometers) will require laborious adaptations.