Thread: Transitioning from IL2 to COD

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Transitioning from IL2 to COD

Hello all,

I am a long-time player of IL2, and am trying to transition over to COD. I'm struggling a bit with the control scheme, and have a couple questions:

Is there such a thing as "level flight autopilot," meaning with one key-press that plane will maintain course, speed and altitude (in whatever direction you point)?

Is it possible to use the mouse as a controller when manning a gunner position? It appears the mouse only moves the view a small amount, whereas you need to use the keyboard to fully traverse the turrets (awkward).

Is it possible to implement what IL2 called the "speed bar," which is the player's course, speed and altitude indicated numerically on the bottom left of the screen? (easier that relying on instruments)

I've installed all the patches from Team Fusion properly, and the game runs great. Again just struggling with controls.

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Re: Transitioning from IL2 to COD

Firs of all hi and welcome from a former Il2 1946 pilot

Quote Originally Posted by dnsq42 View Post

Is there such a thing as "level flight autopilot," meaning with one key-press that plane will maintain course, speed and altitude (in whatever direction you point)?
    Yes but it Works diffrently. Its a bit more tricky actually. You need to set your directional Gyro matching the heading, ie, match north with north or else the plane will deviates course when autopilot is engaged. This is better explained over the Teamspeak, as many other things will be.

Is it possible to use the mouse as a controller when manning a gunner position? It appears the mouse only moves the view a small amount, whereas you need to use the keyboard to fully traverse the turrets (awkward).
    It is, but with trackir enabled the movement becomes weird. Also, by default, you need to press middle mouse button to move the turret around. And some, usually the rear gunner, you need to open their canopy

Is it possible to implement what IL2 called the "speed bar," which is the player's course, speed and altitude indicated numerically on the bottom left of the screen? (easier that relying on instruments)
    On ATAG its disabled on purpose. The use of plane instruments is mandatory.

I've installed all the patches from Team Fusion properly, and the game runs great. Again just struggling with controls.
    Good and welcome again. The transition makes us feel a bit "noob" again, althought the same principles of aviation are still there. But learning is part of the fun. If you have doubts or questions drop us a line or jump on TS, im sure someone will assist

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Many folks here came from IL2 1946 to CLOD as I did...I was looking for the natural successor to IL2 1946...Many of us here believe CLOD is that successor...

The only difference in terms of hardware was TrackIR for me...I bought TrackIR when I had IL2 and tried it a couple times and just couldn't get on with it...Then when I got CLOD and flew full real in the ATAG server I dug out TrackIR and have never looked back since (pun intended)...If you have got TrackIR the advice I was given was to use ALL 6DOF from the get go...which I did...Its best I think to do that...I know some folks turn off 'roll'...best to keep all 6 I think...

Welcome to the Community and Forums dnsq42 ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

===================================

Any UK members please let us know where abouts in the UK you are...Just for reference...Its always good to know just incase there happen to be folks who can help you or you can help locally...buy a joystick from or even just a chat in a pub with someone who is likeminded...

UK Based Player Location thread

Thanks...~S~
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Mar-18-2017 at 09:01.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for the quick responses! That helps answer my questions! I'll spend some time today experimenting. The game is beautiful by the way...

5. Likes farley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dnsq42
    On ATAG its disabled on purpose. The use of plane instruments is mandatory.
    I add that in CloD even in SP don't exist option for use that "gamey" speedbar like in IL-2:46/IL-2:BoS.
    Is required read the instruments - very difficult for Spit/Hurri/Blenheim P-8 compass due his horizontal position and lack of camera shortcut for then - like exist in IL-2:BoS, RoF and DCS cockpits.

But similar "speedbar" can be created for SP use only via script in a very awkward way. Is the "Frog'bar":

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=24766

Quote Originally Posted by dnsq42
    First forget IL:2:46 way to do this. CloD "It's CloD!"

The mouse control depends on turret, if the turret is only with swing MG, e.g. Ju 87 Stuka, you use only mouse for move the MG gunsight.

If the turret is movable (manually or electrically) is need use the keys/buttons for transverse then right/left, besides mouse for move the MG aim.

The transverse movement is somewhat clumsy - is said (on CloD "release) for model the turret weight/inertia. Example Blenheim rear turret.

The only turret that I consider correct modeled in CloD (release) was Fiat Br.20 rear turret (a electric powered turret) - this is the only turret modeled to be controlled with joystick and work very well after figure how they properly work (take me some time).

But due this different way to be operated was the turret that "IL-2:46 typical player" more complain against because if player try use mouse for control all result inverted.

- I used control this turret with joystick and rudder pedals and the control in this way was very, erhhh "realistic". Like was intended to be used.

But due that "iL-2:46 typical players" complains this turret was modified in some TF patch - IMO using Blenheim turret "FM" - and lost this joystick control ability.

You are in luck in arrive to CloD only now because the 'blessed" gunner "fear" - turret lock if plane do negative G's - was removed by TF, this "feature" cause a lot of difficult for use turrets - besides the difficulties caused be remaining "weight/inertia).

Other point to consider when using CloD turret, the mouse don't work like mouse in Windows desktop, e.g move mouse UP their arrow goes UP on screem (in Il-2:46 the aim MG gunsight goes UP), in CloD mouse control MG grip and not the aim, so if you want that gunsight goes up, move the MG grip (the mouse) down. It's CloD! way.

Opera Resume: master CloD turrets take lot of practice.
    Last edited by 1lokos; Mar-18-2017 at 11:51.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Hello and welcome, get onto teamspeak it's the best way to get help and advice

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/