Thread: White Line on Landscape

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

White Line on Landscape

Hi All,

I recently upgraded my GPU from my ASUS GTX 760 to an MSI RX 480 Gamaing X 8GB. CLOD looks beautiful except one unfortunate issue! Whenever I zoom into the ocean, I am seeing white lines. My guess is that these are distance lines that determine how much detail to show beyond the line, since I never seem to be able to fly towards the line and cross it (they always seem to be in the same distance away from me). Attached are screen shots of what I am seeing, as well as my video settings in game. I've also attached a screen shot of my Radeon settings.

My computer specs:
    MoBo - Asus Z97 Pro Wi-Fi
    CPU - Intel Core i5 4690k 3.5GHz
    Memory - 4GB x 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM
    GPU - MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    OS - Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)
    PSU - EVGA Supernova 750W

Thanks in advance for your help. This is not hampering my ability to play but it gets annoying sometimes! I'd like to look out across the beautiful sea towards Dover... without artificial lines cutting across it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Re: White Line on Landscape

The old ATI "Durero Magic Square" CloD bug re-introduced in one of CloD latest official (MG) patch back in end of 2012.

The only know palliative is use high resolutions, 2K, 4K...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    The old ATI "Durero Magic Square" CloD bug re-introduced in one of CloD latest official (MG) patch back in end of 2012.

The only know palliative is use high resolutions, 2K, 4K...
    Interesting... I did not have this issue with the ASUS GTX 760. So you are saying this is the case for all AMD users not using high resolutions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    127.26 MB

These types of anomalies are the reason many of us prefer NVIDIA GTX cards for CLoD.
    Windows 11 Pro, ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Dark Hero, 2 TB Samsung M.2 SSD 990PRO. Intel Core i9 14900KF using TPUII BIOS feature. Air Cooling with Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE CPU Cooler w/ 2 fans. Crucial 96GB DDR 5 RAM at 5600 MT/s. LG 55" 4K OLEDC7P TV, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24G. Realtek High Definition Audio, Sony Surround amp w/ optical cable for 5.1 speakers, Ear Buds from Motherboard for Discord/TeamSpeak3. TrackIR5, Buttkicker Gamer 2, Thrustmaster Warthog, 2x Saitek X-52 (Buttons & Gear), Gear-Falcon Trim Box, Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals. Voice Activated Controls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Baffin View Post
    These types of anomalies are the reason many of us prefer NVIDIA GTX cards for CLoD.
    Great... Unfortunately I did not see anyone report this before I made my purchase. Oh well. I'll report it for to add it to the list of fixes for TF 5.0...

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Great... Unfortunately I did not see anyone report this before I made my purchase. Oh well. I'll report it for to add it to the list of fixes for TF 5.0...
    Not going to happen in regards to TF. It's a driver related issue AFAIK, related to AMD and their outdated compatibility for this game. Hopefully if CLOD comes back on the market with new official releases AMD will be inclined to revisit their side of things. It's too bad you didn't catch any of the info about this issue before buying an AMD card...I would have considered the 480 as well if not for this game.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSteel1 View Post
    Not going to happen in regards to TF. It's a driver related issue AFAIK, related to AMD and their outdated compatibility for this game.
    As I remember with HD68XX this bug don't happen, but with HD78XX and new VGA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

I would like to add that in Team Fusion Simulations we also hope that AMD will be open to looking at their drivers, especially as Clod will have had official development restarted. Sadly we can't promise this will happen BUT we do hope that once they become aware of work starting again we may be able to persuade them to look at this issue again. No promises though. All I can say is that we are aware of it and will find a way to approach them. Whether they are able to invest time in it though will be at their behest

Cheers, Mysticpuma
    "The needs of the Flight Sim Community outweigh the needs of the one or the few"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

if this white-line would not be visible with a higher resolution.What if you increase your resolution with VSR?
    Using a higher resolution makes it more difficult to spot the enemy, but that doesn't matter if you fly blue.
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations...ies-gaming/vsr
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    I would like to add that in Team Fusion Simulations we also hope that AMD will be open to looking at their drivers, especially as Clod will have had official development restarted. Sadly we can't promise this will happen BUT we do hope that once they become aware of work starting again we may be able to persuade them to look at this issue again. No promises though. All I can say is that we are aware of it and will find a way to approach them. Whether they are able to invest time in it though will be at their behest

Cheers, Mysticpuma
    Mysticpuma, thank you for your response! We all really appreciate the hard work you are doing. Yes, we all hope that CLOD will get much more publicity as TF 5.0 rolls out and more and more people join our club!!

Not going to happen in regards to TF. It's a driver related issue AFAIK, related to AMD and their outdated compatibility for this game. Hopefully if CLOD comes back on the market with new official releases AMD will be inclined to revisit their side of things. It's too bad you didn't catch any of the info about this issue before buying an AMD card...I would have considered the 480 as well if not for this game.
    Yes, big shame... I thought I had scoured this forum by trying all sorts of key search words to check whether there were major issues with AMD card and came up with nothing. Well, now someone else thinking about it will hopefully see this thread. If there is an NVIDIA card that is just as good in my budget I might return the MSI RX 480 and get that one instead... CLOD is really one of the few games I play now anyway so might as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    if this white-line would not be visible with a higher resolution.What if you increase your resolution with VSR?
    Using a higher resolution makes it more difficult to spot the enemy, but that doesn't matter if you fly blue.
    http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations...ies-gaming/vsr
    Thanks for the suggestion Stormrider! Unfortunately it looks like VSR is not supported for the RX 480.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

This was posted in the past about the combination of Clod and ATI-cards
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=9522
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=4211
    http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6785

It is a pity that you missed those posts.Ofcourse it would have
    been possible that it was fixed by now because it is about older cards.
    Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming|Intel Core i7 8700K 4,4Ghz|NZXT Kraken x52 all-in-one liquid cooler|16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3000MHZ | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC 8G|ASUS 27" Gaming Monitor ROG Swift PG278Q
    |Samsung M2 970 EVO Plus, 500 GB SSD |Antec High Current Pro 850WATT |VKB Gunfighter Mk.II with MCG Pro grip | Saitek X52 Pro Flight Throttle |VKB-Sim T-Rudder Pedals Mk.IV |BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller|win10 64bit Home Edition|Opentrack-pointtracker/Facetracknoir EDTracker Pro wireless

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

Thanks Stormrider.

Would you recommend the GTX 1060? I was doing more research and it seems to be in the price range that I can work with that is a close competitor to the RX 480. Also open to other cards under $300.

Supporting Member FightingSteel1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    Thanks Stormrider.

Would you recommend the GTX 1060? I was doing more research and it seems to be in the price range that I can work with that is a close competitor to the RX 480. Also open to other cards under $300.
    It's unfortunate you have to consider a different card, but this may never be fully fixed, and even if it is, it'll be months to over a year from now. The 1060 is a very good card, and is on par with the 480's performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

It's unfortunate you have to consider a different card, but this may never be fully fixed, and even if it is, it'll be months to over a year from now. The 1060 is a very good card, and is on par with the 480's performance.
    FightingSteel,

Thanks for the response and the recommendation. I'll look into it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    50.51 MB

An update for those in the future who are trying to decide between an AMD and NVIDIA card -

I replaced the MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB card (AMD) with a Gigabyte GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB card (NVIDIA). Similar price range and they are said to be close comparables for the two platforms.

The graphical problem I was having with the MSI card (white lines on oceans) is now completely gone with the Gigabyte card! The new card also seems just as fast.

I think I am done with GPU upgrades for the foreseeable future... Next in line is getting a pair of decent rudder pedals and a throttle. Hopefully by that time my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro breaks down so I have an excuse to buy a better stick!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Everyone: please be sure to review the "Beginners Guide to Cliffs of Dover -- Start Here" (highlighted in bright yellow at the top of this forum). The Recommended Computer Specs very clearly advise Nvidia due to graphical anomalies experienced with AMD cards.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

17. Likes SharkBait, BOO liked this post
    Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Today I was messing with my pc and connected it to my 55 inch 4K tv to see what cliffs would be like. It was limited to 30hz as its a cheap tv so not great for gaming. Noticed that the white line was still there. Reconnected to my monitor and changed a setting in my conf file and the white line has now gone. I need to go back and confirm that that fixed it as I was changing other settings in Radeon settings also.
    PS I have an rx 480.

I'll edit or repost here if I can confirm it works.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    907.2 KB

Doesn't work
    Last edited by lil_head; Sep-03-2017 at 08:34.