Thread: Hi from California KSNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.06 MB

Hi from California KSNA

Hi everyone, first time attempting to fly online, not first time online. I played Day of Defeat Source semi pro for quite a while and then the COD series. The online shooters have gotten out of hand and corrupted in my opinion, so now I am trying the online combat flight sim community. I noticed the age group is quite a bit more mature and from what I witnessed on you tube very pleasant atmosphere to be in.

I have been flight simming since the IBM clone 486 days (dating myself) and I am not foreign to flight on a computer. I have thousands invested in Flight Simulator X and am now looking for some competition and flying all in one. I am very impressed with what has been done with IL 2 COD and can't wait to turn and burn with the best of you, so please go easy on me. Hopefully my old stick and throttle isn't too old, after clearing the dust of the old X52 Pro I realized how long it has been since I flew IL 2 Stormovik.

From what I have read so far, this is going to be a steep learning curve, but what good sim is not. Thanks everyone for giving more life to Stormovik franchise.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war"

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: Hi from California KSNA

Welcome, you found the best flight sim with the best community IMO.

Make sure you get patched up to 4.312 and get teamspeak. Then just join in and ask for help, quickest way to get going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    374.72 MB

Welcome Spiers,

This is the best community I have been involved. Ok it's the only one, but if it wasn't the only one, it would still be the best for sure.

Full of people who are into their the history of the period.

We have a dickhead free policy here, which by the scarcity of said people suggests that policy works.

It is in all our best interests that we attract great people and keep them involved. I've been here 9 months, and really enjoy the scene, making great friends from all over the world.

Yep, it's a steep learning curve, and you get out of it, what you put in. There are plenty of different aircraft to fly and different ways to play. Whether you like the cut and thrust of fighters, or enjoyed bombing the buggery out of targets, CloD offers something for all of us.

So get stuck in and enjoy. If you need advice, let us know on the forum, or on our TeamSpeak channel, and someone with assist you.

Cheers,

Pattle

4. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    78.06 MB

Welcome to the forum, Speirs! We're not into shooting prisoners but you will find plenty of people willing to trade bullets in the sky

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Welcome to the forum Speirs, you couldn't have joined a better community.

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Hi Buddy...

Having experience in other flight sims will be a massive advantage in CLOD...CLOD is historical and being so attracts folks some of whom have never flown flight sims or gamed seriously...IL2 Sturmovik experience will see you be quite capable in CLOD...which many of us see as a great successor to the IL2 series...

As for your stick well the X52 should still be a very competitive joystick for this sim too...You should have no problems there...I still use the very dated MSSWFFB2...

The only thing you haven't mentioned is a headtracker...I am sure you are aware of them...Most folks here fly with one and recommend that you get one and there are cheap ways to DIY headtrackers so that is probably something you might want to look into...

...Lew...
    Welcome to the Community and Forums Capt. Speirs ...~S~

Checkout the 'Beginners Guide'...for info and tips...It will save you a heap of time in getting up to scratch.....and its a really fun learning curve too...

Beginners Guide

Windows Management Guide

Also try youtube for startup procedures on all the aircraft...

I recommend getting in the online server as soon as you can take off if that's ultimately where you'd like to fly...I flew single player for 30 minutes before I took the plunge...The ATAG online server is a great environment to learn and there's not really any damage you can do in there as a new player.....It is also mission based just with real players trying to foil your objectives...If you are concerned then pick an airstrip furthest from the front line (there always is one or two on every map) and get some alt before you go hunting...You'll get tagged a lot but there are tricks you learn out of pure desperation in those first few weeks that you'll be able to use later...I know cos I still use the same tricks I learned then too because they work...and never underestimate the stall to get you out of a tight fix...That sometimes works too...

TeamSpeak is optional but you'll learn a whole lot faster with it even if you say very little once you are on the server...You are quite welcome to just listen if you feel more comfortable with that....so you don't actually need a mic either...Try it and see!

Here are a few fun, helpful and interesting links amongst these forums you might want to bag for future reference...

Most Watched CLOD Videos

Easy Allied CEM for New Players

Joystick and Hardware Thread

ATAG Forum Age Poll Results

Nvidea Control Panel Settings

Downloads

Contact spotting is massively important in any flight sim...Seeing that enemy before he sees you is a race you don't want to be second in...Check this link to see if you can tweak your rig any better...

Contact Spotting Test

Don't forget to keep up with the latest on the TeamFusion new aircraft and patch news...You could well be AMAZED!

TeamFusion Facebook Updates

A must read for all CLOD enthusiasts is the recent news that has the whole community buzzing very heavily...

TeamFusion News

And finally...Please take the time to have a read of some of the stories of military family adventures by a few of the members of this forum...and maybe share yours with us...~S~

A Tribute to Those Who Served

Any questions then you've come to the right place....

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!

...Lew...

Thanks...~S~
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    80.50 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Welcome Spiers,

We have a dickhead free policy here
    That's Cabeza de Ricardo for those Spanish speakers here.
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core, 16-Thread
    32GB RAM
    NVidia GeForce GTX1080 (Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080)
    1 TB SSD
    LG 4K 55" TV
    Gear-Falcon General Purpose Joystick Controller, Gear-Falcon Quadrant and Trim, Gear-Falcon BF-109 Water Radiator Crank

"Find out what you don't do well, and then DON'T DO IT!" - Alf

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.06 MB

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, reminds me of the past when online gaming was still honorable and not filed with cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by 69th_Spiritus_Mortem View Post
    Make sure you get patched up to 4.312 and get teamspeak.
    I have patched up to 4.312 and as far as Teamspeak goes, it is not always convenient since my cockpit is in the bedroom (wife zzzzzz)

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Pattle View Post
    Welcome Spiers,

This is the best community I have been involved. Ok it's the only one, but if it wasn't the only one, it would still be the best for sure.

Full of people who are into their the history of the period.

Cheers,

Pattle
    To me that was the main attraction for IL 2 CloD with Fusion mod.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Hi Buddy...

As for your stick well the X52 should still be a very competitive joystick for this sim too...You should have no problems there...I still use the very dated MSSWFFB2...

The only thing you haven't mentioned is a headtracker...I am sure you are aware of them..

Good to have you with us buddy...and remember its all about the Fun!!!
    I use the TrackIR, can't wait.

Supporting Member 9./JG52_Meyer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    64.27 MB

Hello namesake ,good to have you here .

Hals und beinbruch
    Oberleutnant - Otto Meyer
    "Gelb Acht"
    9.Staffel / Jagdgeschwader 52
    (Karaya)

In memory of 9./JG52 Ziegler, Vermisse dich mein Freund

http://www.9jg52.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Capt. Speirs, even if not able to talk on TS at times, still might be helpful to download it and then listen in, as it will help you find out where the action is, and there will be some learning for you ,as for all of us, there.
    And sometimes it's just fun and funny. Great group.
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

12. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.06 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Capt. Speirs, even if not able to talk on TS at times, still might be helpful to download it and then listen in, as it will help you find out where the action is, and there will be some learning for you ,as for all of us, there.
    And sometimes it's just fun and funny. Great group.
    I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos with Teamspeak and CloD and I must say, it looks like a lot of fun.

14. Likes farley liked this post