Thread: Bf 109 back off throttle just before shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.06 MB

Bf 109 back off throttle just before shooting.

In Wings of Prey an opponent gave me a tip to back off the throttle in a Bf 109 when in hot pursuit just before firing the guns. He said the vibration from the engine will scatter the rounds which opens the pattern. It worked in Wings of Prey. Will this work in IL 2 CloD?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Bf 109 back off throttle just before shooting.

Can't say I've ever noticed any effect on gunfire patterns from engine settings but my gunnery is so bad that I'd never know anyway... Would be intrigued to know if this does make a difference though.

Oh, and Welcome to CloD, by the way!

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

3. Likes ATAG_Pattle liked this post
    Manual Creation Group ATAG_Ezzie's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    115.2 KB

Disclaimer - i 'fly' the -110 so am not really qualified to answer. But i'll have a crack anyway....

One issue to consider would be side-slip - if you have the ball nicely centred with your engine humming along and you are nicely lined on the tgt then when you back off the throttle you might find your ball un-centres a tad and thus your bullets/cannons might not go where you are aiming right before you de-throttled ie you are now side slipping and the bullets dont go where the centre of the gun sight is,especially if you are shooting at longer ranges

In the 110 when i dive on someone I'm usually nicely centred when i commence the dive but to avoid overspeeding i have to chop the throttles. Chopping the throttles introduces a fair amount of skid and if i shoot in the dethrottled/skidding configuration i usually miss. So as i come out of the dive i have to throttle up to re-centre the ball as best i can without overspeeding before firing - all this occurs pretty quickly at 550-600 km/hr and sometimes i dont get it right and miss cos the ball isnt centred.

Same might apply in the 109 re chopping the throttle. Or it might not.....

Of course rudder is your friend so using rudder to compensate for the side slip would probably work.

And your nose might drop a tad as well depending on how much you chopped the throttle.

Hmm you said an opponent told you this - any chance he wanted you to miss?

Ezzie
    Last edited by ATAG_Ezzie; Mar-24-2017 at 01:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

If you change the throttle just as you line up your opponent, your aircraft will yaw from the torque, precession and prop thrust changes... and that will actually throw off the aim.

You want to keep the throttle as consistent as possible as you prepare to fire... and focus on centering the ball using your rudder, so you are in trim, and not yawing, i,e. not travelling sideways at all.

If you are unsure of your aiming... make sure you have tracers in your Light MG loads, make sure your LMG and 20mm have exactly the same convergence, and make sure you have the 20mm and LMG's on separate firing buttons... then fire, only using your LMG tracers to show where your shots are going... when they hit, fire your 20mm. You have 500 rounds of LMG ammo per gun, only 60 rounds of 20mm... you can afford to waste the LMG rounds... not the 20mm.

Best as always, get up close as possible to your target so the aircraft fills the gunsight when you lean left and put your eye to sight through it.

Wing of Prey has a much simpler and less realistic gunnery and flight modeling system... it's much easier to hit targets compared to CLIFFS OF DOVER.
    Last edited by RAF74_Buzzsaw; Mar-24-2017 at 01:37.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have not tried it but can tell you that the recoil from the cannons is modeled in this game and will have a lot larger effect on scattering the rounds. after 4 rounds out they are all over the place and it only gets worse the longer you hold the trigger.

I will test the throttle off thing next time i get a change.

The bottom line is that the 20mm on the 109 is a close in weapon only, use the 7.62mm for longer range shots.

JG51_BlackC5 CO
    Last edited by Blackc5; Mar-24-2017 at 11:24.
    JG51_BlackC5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    23.06 MB

Everyone, thanks for your input, this gives me something to think about while trying to rip a Spit apart.