Thread: Battle Of Britain Film 1969

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Cool Battle Of Britain Film 1969

Most of you guys probably know all this.

But i just came across it online, so thought i would post the link.

If it is already on the forum, please delete.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064072/trivia

Best regards,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

2. Likes farley, ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    121.95 MB

Re: Battle Of Britain Film 1969

Found this a few weeks ago when looking as to how on earth they got all those Heinkels - had no idea they were Spanish! Very interesting indeed...

"Speed is life. Altitude is life insurance. Surprise is key."

~ AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (OC to 4GHz) ~ 8GB RAM ~ ASUS GTX1050Ti Phoenix 4GB ~
    T.16000M ~ TWCS Throttle ~ TFRP Pedals ~ DIY IR Headtracker

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

Talking Re: Battle Of Britain Film 1969

The goofs section is a good read

Best wishes,
    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

I didn't know a lot of that stuff...Thanks for posting...

I knew it was a financial flop...and that it was the 35 largest airforce in the world...

I always feel sad about the film...sad that such a great, and BOB is one of if not the best WW2 warbird film there has ever been, did not make much money...It was a shame because it put pay to a lot of warbird films that could have been...To make a film that good and to be a flop does nothing to promote other film makers making more of the same...Big shame...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

6. Likes Hurricane, ATAG_Snapper, LARRY69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Nothing remotely compares to this film as a warbird enthusiast. The air sequences are something we'll never see again outside CGI and they've been used in countless newer films and documentaries. The 'final battle' footage and that chilling soundtrack get me every time. There's a few hard to find books on the making on the film that are wonderful. It must've been incredible being at Duxford back then

I recently watched this footage. Bloody marvelous ! As per movie quote.

Last edited by Dazza; Apr-16-2017 at 11:35.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    The air sequences are something we'll never see again outside CGI
    Problem is that in CGI the aerial sequences will follow the "Star Wars" action formula (planes breaking the laws of physics like in Fly Boys, Red Tails...History Channel Dogfithts)
    expect see this in the announced remark of Battle of Britain.

The low budget Dark Blue World has enjoyable aerial sequences because re-use B of B footage and real footage with a Spitfire.

Samples of well done and convincing CGI aerial battles, but this don't fit in Hollywood aerial action concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFn6p9s7KJU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOKYArek2zA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMp4Or6GL0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmZutqbKw4Y

9. Likes ATAG_Flare, ATAG_Lewis, BOO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

Agreed, the general viewer is accustomed to todays gamer driven 'cartoon reality' would find true-to-life action sequences slow and less exciting. DBW has some nice flying BoB sequences as does the Piece Of Cake series from the 1980's, most famous for Ray Hanna flying the Spit under the bridge. We certainly won't see anything like that filmed again.

Its the sheer scope of the flying sequences in BoB that are astounding. So many aircraft in ridiculously close proximity in order to make them seen on a 70mm screen. And of course film editing sets the pace of the action. It's amazing they had no accidents. Health and safety these days would never permit such risks.

It's a shame the film didn't do better financially at the time. But then again how much support would there be for an American film distribution (UA) which has no Americans in it and a generally obscure subject matter to most outside the UK. I think UA hoped the A-list of stars would be enough to bring people in globally. According to wiki it did well in UK: "Battle of Britain was the number 1 film in the United Kingdom for a total of 14 weeks beginning 26 September 1969". But it has become legendary since and is possibly responsible for the dramatic increase in vintage aircraft preservation since that time.

The BoB museum at Hawkinge has some fab props and nice collection of photos from locals involved in the shooting done there.
    Last edited by Dazza; Apr-16-2017 at 16:19.

11. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Good story for the usual WWII movies "love story":

http://intotheswarm.blogspot.com.br/...-brothers.html

13. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    438.08 MB

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...-project-movie

Looks like the updated version will happen

Daz

15. Likes Ohms liked this post
    Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    296.1 KB

Wasn't that one of Oleg's aims that CloD would be good enough to use for movie CGI? Certainly if a sequence could be choreographed as per the original BoB film with human pilots flying planes on computers which were then transposed onto real life backgrounds of sky and landscape with extra effects it would be more convincing than Star Wars type CGI. Especially once TFS have tweaked the FMs a bit more.

I saw the film when it was first released in the cinemas. Even had the original publicity brochure but it sadly got lost long ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Seen BoB movie several times in the past, but just received a copy that I ordered and so watched it again last night.
    The price is so low they are almost giving it away, and I like having a copy I can pull off the shelf and watch again any time.

One of the things that I like about it is that it tries to tell the story without glamourizing it all; there are no big heroes that swoop in and save the day. In fact it almost understates the roles of all in the battle.

Might not be one of the best movies made, but will always be one of my favorites.

I worry that a new BoB movie will be mostly hype and heroes and effects......
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

18. Likes Hurricane, DerDa liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by farley View Post
    Seen BoB movie several times in the past, but just received a copy that I ordered and so watched it again last night.
    The price is so low they are almost giving it away, and I like having a copy I can pull off the shelf and watch again any time.

One of the things that I like about it is that it tries to tell the story without glamourizing it all; there are no big heroes that swoop in and save the day. In fact it almost understates the roles of all in the battle.

Might not be one of the best movies made, but will always be one of my favorites.

I worry that a new BoB movie will be mostly hype and heroes and effects......
    It's a great film.

Also Susannah York reminds me a lot of a really pretty girl I used to know rather well... before she met that Spanish guy who weirdly looked a lot like me but was apparently "going somewhere"....

I did offer to tell him exactly where to go as it goes... but alas... it didn't get that killer cute smile I was aiming for !

Ahh happy days !

Grrr !!!

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey

20. Likes Hurricane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    4.58 GB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    It's a great film.

Also Susannah York reminds me a lot of a really pretty girl I used to know rather well... before she met that Spanish guy who weirdly looked a lot like me but was apparently "going somewhere"....

I did offer to tell him exactly where to go as it goes... but alas... it didn't get that killer cute smile I was aiming for !

Ahh happy days !

Grrr !!!
    Looks as though you are ready to open a "Cry in My Beer" thread Seas....... Or maybe calling it "Shot down in Flames" would be more appropriate here.....

I bet we could collect quite a few tales regarding past loves/lusts.....

Personally, think I'd rather read about war stories..... although really, both can be filled with blood and guts, bravery, cowardice, sacrifice, heroism, deceit, glory, failure, conquer, love, hate, and well, generally, the good, the bad, and the ugly....... so, war and r'ships...... more similar than I like to admit to myself..... Hmmm.....
    "If you want to fly, give up everything that weighs you down"......

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    280.96 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Highseas View Post
    Susannah York reminds me a lot of a really pretty girl
    Very remotely.
    I just hate this 60s hairstyle and make-up.

But Farley is right: one of the realy good things of the old movie is that it does not have one hero (or villain) but shows the enormous efforts of all involved.
    Not much hope to see something like this in a modern movie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    571.41 MB

Quote Originally Posted by DerDa View Post
    Very remotely.
    Yeah... kick me when I'm down why don't you.

- ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO - i9-13900k - ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC - 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR5 5600MHz -
    - CORSAIR 1200w HX Series PSU - Corsair H100x Hydro Series CPU Cooler -
    - Big Screen Beyond -

- Virpil T50 Mongoos Flight Stick -
    - TM Warthog Throttle -
    - Slaw Device 109 Cam Rudder Pedals -

Highseas Peripherals
    - Engine Switch Panel - Munitions Switch Panel - Throttle Quadrant Trim Box - Helicopter Collective - Analogue Brake Lever -

Operated by a 1972 Standard Issue Talking Monkey