Thread: Airfield Maps and Layout question

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Airfield Maps and Layout question

I am looking for a link that has the layout of the airfields used in the ATAG online missions. I need to see where the runways are and how they are layed out better. My graphic card is a bit lacking for full on graphics and I would like to be able to know which way to turn to get to the main runways. I know they move around from mission to mission but I was hopeful someone may have already put this together.

It looks like there are a few different maps but, the airfield locations are consistent in the missions so I was hopeful at least on this idea.

Thanks Once again for any help.
    Last edited by Firecage; Apr-24-2017 at 15:54.
    If you hear me above you it's already too late.... run for the bomb shelter !

Combat pilot No.119_Marshy (VK-M)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Airfield Maps and Layout question

I think that it's just a case of getting used to the maps, I am a bit the same sometimes. Pay attention to the wind direction in the briefing your compass and any visible wind socks, that will at least get you to roughly the correct end of the airfield for a take off into the wind.

I even went to the lengths of looking on Google Earth at one point, which in itself is pretty interesting if you look at the South East of England and click on the 1940 tab at the bottom left corner of the screen. The South East (lets say East Sussex and Kent) are pretty much completely photo - mapped and the aerodromes aren't too bad in the sim, athough they are pretty much fields apart from Manston. Look out for "Lympne" painted in the centre of the airfield and Wellingtons, Spitfires and Mosquitos at Manston, and Harvards at Biggin Hill. Biggin and Manston look to be the only aerodromes with hard runways.
    Last edited by No.119_Marshy (VK-M); Apr-25-2017 at 04:42.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Scroll down a little for the maps. There are a ton.

Tom's are worth the DL size.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...=airfield+maps

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    322.12 MB

Today I found that the "Tom's Maps" link was broken! So no such maps are at present available.

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I am going to download those today and take a look at them.

Thank you very much for tracking these down.

I seem to be having some real issues getting the HE111 off the ground on these make shift grassy fields. If I do get it in the air I blow the engine and get a water leak.

Still learning though, having a great time in the Stuka and dive bombing. At least I can get that one off the ground without mishap.

Thanks again for tracking these down. I will repost later after I get to look them over.

*added comments

This is perfect, I have it bookmarked now.

The Jpg files for France have exactly what I was after. I am going to rename them to the airfield names (instead of just Clod_27.jpg) so I can find what I am after faster.

Many thanks !
    Last edited by Firecage; Apr-26-2017 at 13:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    15.32 MB

The He-111 H-2 has the same engine as the stuka, the only difference is the 111 has a variable pitch prop (manual control 100% of the time) and supercharger alt change is 1220 where the stuka switches at 1500.

Another route is go to quick missions/free flight france/ change to He-111 H-2. You will air-spawn in. This will give you some time to get used to the engine controls. You could then fly to Tramecourt to practice landings and takeoffs on nice concrete runways while having less fuel then in the cross country mission.

Otherwise, you could go online, tramcourt is usually available, take 20% fuel and no bombs (to start) takeoff in 111, and after wheels up, immediately reduce rpms to 2200 and ata to 1.2. This should stop your engine blowing problems.

Also here is the direct link to TF wiki for the He-111s: http://www.theairtacticalassaultgrou...p?id=he111h2p2

Also, as TGIF suggested, is you see him or Beedo, feel free to hit them up, they can jump in the plane with you, or you with them to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecage View Post
    I am going to download those today and take a look at them.

Thank you very much for tracking these down.

I seem to be having some real issues getting the HE111 off the ground on these make shift grassy fields. If I do get it in the air I blow the engine and get a water leak.

Still learning though, having a great time in the Stuka and dive bombing. At least I can get that one off the ground without mishap.

Thanks again for tracking these down. I will repost later after I get to look them over.

*added comments

This is perfect, I have it bookmarked now.

The Jpg files for France have exactly what I was after. I am going to rename them to the airfield names (instead of just Clod_27.jpg) so I can find what I am after faster.

Many thanks !
    Last edited by Torric270; Apr-26-2017 at 15:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    2.82 GB

I would like to be able to know which way to turn to get to the main runways.
    You can also use the Tab menu commands in the mission, hit Tab - 7 (Ground Control) - 2 (Vector To Home Base), and Ground Control will give you the compass bearing to the main runway in text message and voice even if you are on the ground in a hangar! Good luck and have fun!

ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA507NV, AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Laptop GPU, 8 GB GDDR6 VRAM, 16 GB DDR5 RAM, 512 GB SSD, Windows 11 Home 23H2, VPC MongoosT-50 Throttle, VKB Gladiator Pro, MFG Crosswind, Wheel Stand Pro, EIZO CS240, Track-IR 5

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    167.36 MB

I am looking for a link that has the layout of the airfields used in the ATAG online missions. I need to see where the runways are and how they are layed out better. My graphic card is a bit lacking for full on graphics and I would like to be able to know which way to turn to get to the main runways. I know they move around from mission to mission but I was hopeful someone may have already put this together.

It looks like there are a few different maps but, the airfield locations are consistent in the missions so I was hopeful at least on this idea.

Thanks Once again for any help.

I set up a little Map & Tools Page for Cliffs. On this page you will find all airfields, their elavation in feet/meters and for the french airfields the correct spelling (mp3 files): http://eaotro.xara.hosting/cliffs-of...-elavation.htm

cheers
    henry
    System: i7-6700K, MSI Nvidia 1070GTX, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GA-Z170 K3, Win10 64Bit, TrackIR5, HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Sennheiser 350 Headset, LG 34' 21:9

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thank you both for the info! All good to have, I did not know about using the comm's to get directions to the base.... that should save me hunting around so much to find a landing spot.

S!

Gateway to Downeast Maine (New England) USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.43 GB

History Of RAF B of B Airfields

Anyone interested in detailed history of the Battle of Britain airfields can find it in "Battle of Britain Airfields of 11 Group"

BBAF.png

https://www.amazon.com/Battle-Britai...ain+Air+Fields
    ASUS GB20CB Intel I-7 w/Nvidia Geforce GTX 1070, ASUS Swift PG279Q (3), VKB GF/KG12, CH Pro throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder, EDtracker Pro

[SIZE=1]"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" -S. Holmes-