Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Info Windows in Cliffs Of Dover Tutorial

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Info Windows in Cliffs Of Dover Tutorial

I remember the first time I started playing Cliffs of Dover that one of the most annoying things was sorting out my windows ingame, tweaking them every time I realised I needed some more info at critical times during flying. Here are some settings to act as a start for new fliers.

For those accostomed to flight simming the ingame windows is just part and parcel of learning a new flight sim or game so please note this tutorial is probably not for you. It is for those players who may have never flown a flight sim or have little knowledge of online gaming such as Cliffs of Dover. It is designed to ease new blood into this Sim that we think so much of.

Also note that this is meant to be a base for people to start from and not the definitive version of window management. Once you have the basic nowhow to use these windows you can change as much or as little as you need.

...lew...

================================================== ================

A Brief Tutorial About Ingame Window Management

Ingame windows are an integral part of any Flight Sim. They must provide vital information about your vehicle in the form of management and damage, and ingame chat for online play. They should be there for you when you need them and not a hinderence by blocking ingame visuals that put you at a disadvantage to the enemy. Big windows with lots of information will clutter your screen and in a flight sim such as Cliffs Of Dover where it is imperative that you be constantly scanning your environment for enemy contacts it is critical that you have no more windows than you actually need onscreen at any one time.

Important windows for 'Vehicle Damage' should be kept seperate as is a window strictly for the chat. This means that important damage information is on your screen in a specific area where it is less likely to be ignored. It also means that it is NOT governed by the chat ie. if an important damage information is on screen at the same time that there is many chat inputs by players then it will not be on your screen long and could be easily missed and scrolled away by chat inputs. Also important information should be brightly coloured so as to demand your attention and not to blend in with ANY of the environment inside or outside of your cockpit. Lesser important information can afford to be softer on the eye and tucked away in corners of your monitor so choose your colours with this in mind.

All windows should be in their own areas on screen and not overlapping at all.

Manipulating windows in Cliffs Of Dover

A Short Tutorial video by Phillstyle of 92 squadron on the 'Grey Box issue' and Creating, Deleting, Moving and Resizing Info Windows.

ALL information below is done from the point of view of someone ingame and sat at their virtual cockpit.

1) Creating a new window

To create a new window first right click on the screen in a vacant area. This will bring up a small window. Then left click 'New Info Window' and you will notice your new window will appear in the top left of your screen. The new window should be slightly transparent and grey. This new window can now be manipulated by right clicking on it and left clicking on the 'Cusomize:Info Window' tab. This will bring up a new window with information about what changes you want to make to your new window which will be explained later in this tutorial under '4) Customizing a Window'.

2) Deleting a window

To delete a window we must first make it active by holding 'Alt' and left clicking the window we want to delete. Now Right click on this new window and left click 'Close Window Info Window'. Sometimes more than one window is created in the same area and you will have to use this procedure in order to delete all of them.

3) Moving and resizing an existing window

Before we can manipulate a window we must first make it active by 'Alt' 'and left clicking the window we want to manipulate.

a) Moving a window

Once a new window has been created you should be able to hover your mouse over the top of it until it turns to the 'hand' pointer. You can then left click, hold and drag this window where you want it to be.

b) Changing the dimensions of a window

A window can be extended or condensed by moving your cursor over the edges of a window until it turns into the re-size cursor. You can then left click, hold and move to manipulate the window to the required size.

4) Customizing a Window

Once a window has been created you can right click on it and hit 'Customize: Info Window' to bring up the 'Custom Info Window'.

The top option in '
    item' will always be 'Window'.

To change the window options left click '
    Window' in the 'item' pane. The customizeable options for the window should now be in the laft pane. you can change these options by clicking on them in the left pane under 'value'.

Window options

i) Title - Title of your window
    ii) Title - With option to hide it or make it visible. Most windows do not need the title to be visible .
    iii) Border - Option to make hidden or Visible
    iv) Active Alpha BG - This option is for the Background (BG) opacity of your window whilst you are customizing it. As any customization of a window should be done under none combat situations this can be set to a relatively opaque level (anywhere from 50 to 255). If it has some opacity then you will be able to see where its borders will be ingame.
    v) Inactive Alpha BG - This option is for the Background (BG) opacity whilst it is normally ingame. It is a good idea to have all of your windows set to '0' on this option. This will give you a clear window apart from the wording.

The central area 'Items' is the inventory of the items that you want to be displayed in this particular window. you can move items from the 'items list' and back again by left clicking on them and hitting the arrow keys in the window. Once you have the required items to be shown in this list you can click on them in the 'items' pane and the options for that criteria will be in the left pane under 'Property' and 'Value'. You can now customize each property by changing its 'Size', 'Colour' and 'Layout'. Not all items have these options.

Click '
    SAVE' at the bottom of the window to save and close it.

5) Chat Window

Ingame chat is not just chat between players but also chat to the online server and from the online server giving information to players. Ingame chat will be continually scrolling and can be quite fast, for this reason it is best to keep this window for chat ONLY so that if it does move quickly you do not miss important ingame data such as vehicle damage etc.

Chat is best kept to around 6 - 8 lines for most players. Any more and it can start to encroach on your screen. Bear in mind when deciding how many lines of chat you want, how long chat is usually on screen for and how many lines you want to read at any one time. Keep it to the minimum if you can.

6) Net Stats

The Net stat window is only for online playing. It gives you a list of the players ingame at that moment, their scores, deaths, which side (Army), Aircraft they are flying and ping. To bring up 'Net Stats' one can right click the screen and see the option for 'Net Stats' or another idea is to dedicate a key in Options on the Main Menu screen as follows:

Main Menu > Options > Controls > Keys > Chat > Toggle Net Stats

The Net Stat window is a window that you will only want to read when you are not in immediate danger ingame, for this reason you can afford to make the window as big as you want (best full screen top to bottom) and put it where ever you want.See image below.

7) A Basic Window Management Option

Now that we have the ability to customize windows ingame below is a basic setup that you can use or as a basis to start from. You can keep it asis or change it to whatever criteria for your own personal requirements.

I hope this tutorial has been of some help.

...lew...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Aug-18-2014 at 07:29.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Re: Windows in Cliffs Of Dover Tutorial

Great post Lewis old chap!

Septic.

EDIT;

This is how I have mine set-up should anyone wish to try it, copy and replace at the bottom of the confuser.ini file in the Documents\1cfolder.

[ChatWindow]
    0:-1=-posSize '0.003 0.870 0.206 0.130' -titleStr "Motor Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 100
    0:262144=-lay 1 -fnt 0 -clr 0
    1:-1=-posSize '0.818 0.543 0.181 0.145' -titleStr "Secondary Controls" -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -history 10 -timeout 15
    1:5=-font 0
    1:4=-font 0
    1:7=-font 0
    2:-1=-posSize '0.002 0.000 0.460 0.186' -titleStr "Info. Window 1" -alpha 130 -ualpha 25 -vscroll -wrap -history 100
    2:393216=-fnt 0 -clr 54 -al 2 -tf 1 -sz 1 -sl 1
    2:3=-font 0
    2:131072=0
    2:1=-font 0
    2:6=-font 0
    3:-1=-posSize '0.518 0.002 0.418 0.275' -titleStr Voice -border -alpha 130 -ualpha 0 -wrap -history 40 -timeout 30
    3:2=-font 1
    4:-1=-posSize '0.171 0.323 0.687 0.352' -titleStr NetStats -title -border -alpha 50 -ualpha 0 -custom
    4:-2=-font 3 -color 139 -columnWidth '0.100 0.183 0.322 0.144 0.093 0.081' -columnSort 2
    Last edited by ATAG_Septic; Feb-08-2013 at 12:04.
    [CENTER][CENTER] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

3. Likes ATAG_Lewis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, another great post!
    ---o-0-o---

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

This is a great thread, Lewis. I can't tell you how often new players arevasking on TS for pointers on making custom windows. We can now refer them directly to here!

Another thread stickied.

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

This is GREAT ..... thanks
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks fellas....you never know if you've done the right thing with these tutorials....so thanks for the positive feedback...

...lew...
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Feb-11-2013 at 07:49.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

You are probably the right man to ask.Somewhere along the way I have lost the text window that tells me about undercarriage raised or lowered,ditto flaps,locked tailwheel + other bits of info dealing with views etc. .Its similar to the text window in Il-2 that does basically the same thing.I had it once & found it to be convenient at times,but then one day it simply disappeared.I cannot figure how to get it back up & operating.any ideas?
    Thanks!

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    You are probably the right man to ask.Somewhere along the way I have lost the text window that tells me about undercarriage raised or lowered,ditto flaps,locked tailwheel + other bits of info dealing with views etc. .Its similar to the text window in Il-2 that does basically the same thing.I had it once & found it to be convenient at times,but then one day it simply disappeared.I cannot figure how to get it back up & operating.any ideas?
    Thanks!

Hi Blitzen,

I don't know how it was deleted but you just need to create a new window as per Lewis's excellent guide (1) above. I think its Engine Info you want.

As Lewis says, it's not very intuitive but it's quite easy to use, once you know how.

Septic.

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Did it!..Sadly Engine info only gives me throttle setting...at least so far.Will test again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Blitzen,

To get back "Secondary Controls" Info Window you need create a new Window with "Vehicle crew, Vehicle System, Vehicle Secondary controls".

Set "Inactive Alpha BG" to 0 to leave then transparent.

Tip: Try with new colors and font size.

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Looked on the internet, but unfortunately did not find similar pages like of which is in the Russian Wikipedia, give a link, it may be useful to someone, it is in Russian. The game interface. Information windows. link http://wiki.sukhoi.ru/index.php?titl...BD.D0.B8.D1.8F
    God still loves us.

Supporting Member 9./JG52 Ziegler's Avatar
    Coast of Maine - Halfway between the equator and the North Pole
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by FS~Lewis View Post
    Thanks fellas....you never know if you've done the right thing with these tutorials....so thanks for the positive feedback...

...lew...
    My Man Lew! Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    6.72 GB

Quote Originally Posted by 1lokos View Post
    Blitzen,

To get back "Secondary Controls" Info Window you need create a new Window with "Vehicle crew, Vehicle System, Vehicle Secondary controls".

Set "Inactive Alpha BG" to 0 to leave then transparent.

Tip: Try with new colors and font size.

Sokol1
    This worked like a charm but it brings couple of othe questions to mind.First the new info doesn't fade away - it stacks up! not too bad with info about sight & flaps etc,but it is massive when it comes to engine info dealing with afterburner(AKA Full throttle.) Is there any way short of exiting the info box to modify this copy? Second & probaly far easier :can I move this box to a different part of the screen-say botton right corner? I can move the map all around , but I haven't found the right combination of Mouse buttons to do the job.
    Thanks for all the info so far-really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

Here the default settings for this (secondary controls) window, probable you need adjust Timeout to fade.

http://i46.tinypic.com/9k44np.jpg

To move window across the screen the way I find is using resizing.
    To do this first you need change windows border to visible - in customize.
    So is just matter of "stretch and shrink".

Sokol1

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks for the input here fellas....I don't know everything concerning the ingame windows so its good that we have a place to come at least for dialogue here and other folks can help with their own knowledge on the subject too.......Most of the stuff I discovered I figured out for myself ingame.....Issues like the windows stacking up was resolved in the guide above under '2) Erasing a window'....as for 'items' you need in each particular window for me was kinda trial and error....Some of the descriptions are not straight forward so you'll need to play around to see which ones you'll need....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

posting this at steam as some people are hard headed when it comes to this grey box thing...I get it, but I just dont see how some people can be so mindless
    as to how to push the right mouse thumb button. its like there mind get stuck on the left one and dont understand right..

Lewis can you please post this on Steam guides over there? I'm very frustrated trying to tell people to read..
    Last edited by Mastiff; Feb-23-2013 at 06:37.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Good idea Mastiff...I'm just looking into it now.....ya know I never even knew there was a 'Steam Guides' over there....so I'll try put this one in....

================================================== =====================

EDIT.......6 hours later....eventually done the guide for Steam...Geesh, from one small suggestion here it took me 6 hours (and yeah so I cussed Mastiff a lot!!!)...I thought Steam would just allow me to paste the whole post in but oh no.....I had to individually upload each section and seperate images needed uploading too.....I wrote most of the guide but couldn't upload images on the internet through Steam website....changed the formats..Jpgs...bmps...even tried putting the images into my games folder and renaming them to disguise them as screenshots in order to upload them as screenies instead...still no luck...out of pure desperation I came off the internet and started steam from my desktop icon and...EUREEKA!...I was able to upload them....They dont tell you that stuff do they?

I think the missus gone to bed in a huff....Its our Sunday together and I said I was gonna be 5 minutes....

Thanks Mastiff.....Now I have to search the house for a huff that my missus is in!!
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Feb-24-2013 at 14:54.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi

A Video for german beginners. Can someone put it in the first post maybe?

Cheers!

MSI GAMING G65 // i7 4770k @ 4.2GHZ // ASUS GTX 780 CUll // 8GB RAM (@1600mhz) // Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit Version
    Thrustmaster T16000 + Saitek x52 Throttle // Saitek Throttle Quadrant // MFG Crosswind Pedals // Track IR 5

www.jagdgeschwader4.de

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Much easier tutorial:

You don't have to do any of that "create new window, then delete it" business.

All you have to do is ALT + LClick on any window to "activate" it, then all the attributes are available to manipulate.

Doing "create new, delete, select another window to edit" is the long way round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kraut View Post
    Much easier tutorial:

You don't have to do any of that "create new window, then delete it" business.

All you have to do is ALT + LClick on any window to "activate" it, then all the attributes are available to manipulate.

Doing "create new, delete, select another window to edit" is the long way round.
    Rgrt...When I wrote this it was all I had...Its just going to take a while to rectify the tutorial and all though it may be a slightly longer way to do this, it still works and is the way Ive always done it with no issues..

Thanks for the input...~S~

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Rgrt...When I wrote this it was all I had...Its just going to take a while to rectify the tutorial and all though it may be a slightly longer way to do this, it still works and is the way Ive always done it with no issues..

Thanks for the input...~S~
    Definitely! Great guide, just wanted to point out that there's an easier way of getting to where you can configure the windows. I don't think many people knew about the alt click thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Thanks for that it help me a lot. I know about newview (far too hard for this old fart) but any chance of a graphic output of the compass for a window? As it was not too difficult to see your heading in real life? To be honest I would rather have a graphic of the compass than a digital output as 1946.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Continu0 View Post
    Hi

A Video for german beginners. Can someone put it in the first post maybe?

Cheers!

I'm sorry for the delay on this post Conti...I totally missed it until now as I am updating the 'Windows Tutorial'.....If I use foreign language tutorials in the english tutorial it will become way too complicated considering I would have to put tutorials in at least 6 other popular languages....

The better idea is for a translator who speaks your language and english to translate the 'Windows Management Guide' tutorial and the 'Beginners Guide' tutorial and then we can have them stickied at the top of their respective forums...for example when folks click onto the German forum at the top will be the German translated version of 'Widoes Guide' and 'Beginners Guide'..

I can give you the text versions of each of these if you need them...

...lew... ~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Superb tutorial Lew,after the last few years of flying this sim,I finally got around today to customising my info windows,thanks very much for the top info on here mate,great job.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Lew <gruss>
    Vadr
    Jagdgeschwader 2 "Richthofen"

"Most pilots expect their airplanes to perform. The Me 109 expects its pilot to perform." -- A. Galland

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Thanks for the input fellas...Its always good to get feedback...Thanks and have fun...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Re the blue info that comes up when you start up,ie Magneto on,Fuel Main etc,I currently have it on it's smallest setting,in the bottom,left hand corner,but is there a way in the ConfUser.Ini section to force it to become even smaller ?...........this would be a great help if someone can oblige,thanks.

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with Sahaj 15cm Extension/MFG Crosswind Pedals/Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel & Throttle Quadrants/TrackiR4/Windows 10 Home/Sense of humour,I find it comes in handy !

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Not as far as I know Meaker.....Have to wait for a boffin to clarify that one I think....

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    227.55 MB

Ok thanks Lew,but just so I've have got this right the smallest font is SMALL or FIXED SMALL ?,and btw buddy I really appreciate your tutorial,It's been so helpful,I should have done this a long time ago.

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    463.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Plt Off JRB Meaker View Post
    Ok thanks Lew,but just so I've have got this right the smallest font is SMALL or FIXED SMALL ?,and btw buddy I really appreciate your tutorial,It's been so helpful,I should have done this a long time ago.

Fixed Small is the smallest.

Septic.

[/CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast