Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing gunsights/blurry terrain

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Missing gunsights/blurry terrain

Hello,

When I toggle gunsight illumination, the gunsight area becomes more well lit but the sight itself isn't there. Also, the terrain textures are very blurry, almost as if there's a LOD messup somewhere. Here's what it looks like with the sight on:

sightterrain.jpg

I've looked in other places and some people have reported the same issue. I think we all have in common Windows 8, and an Nvidia card.

The problem seems to persist in many levels of detail, and makes combat a lot more difficult than it needs to be. Does anyone know of a fix and/or what's causing this?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Re: Missing gunsights/blurry terrain

Hi Leandro,

Can you please post your system specs?

The screenshot seems like if the video card ran out of memory loading the textures.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi, thanks for replying!

I thought I'd put my specs in the signature. In any case, here they are:

Intel i7-3630QM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M (4GB GDDR5)
    DDRIII 16GB

It's a laptop, but a high-end gaming laptop anyway. So I don't think the usual lack of VRAM is at fault.
    MSI GT70
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M / 4GB GDDR5
    DDRIII 16GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro View Post
    Hi, thanks for replying!

I thought I'd put my specs in the signature. In any case, here they are:

Intel i7-3630QM
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 680M (4GB GDDR5)
    DDRIII 16GB

It's a laptop, but a high-end gaming laptop anyway. So I don't think the usual lack of VRAM is at fault.

Ypu have 4 time the VRAM I have, so that's not the problem
    As Colander said, it looks like the textures are not properly loaded... have you tried to pause the game for a few minutes and see if it catches up? (Not that you should need to)

Cheers/m

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

Also, it might be trying to run in SLI mode which causes issues with the game.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post

Ypu have 4 time the VRAM I have, so that's not the problem
    As Colander said, it looks like the textures are not properly loaded... have you tried to pause the game for a few minutes and see if it catches up? (Not that you should need to)

Cheers/m

Not particularly, but I played this game for a while before noticing that anything was wrong... I didn't know what the game was supposed to look like! Bought it pretty much because I heard good things about the flight model. I don't mind the blurriness as much as the missing gunsight, but I think it's likely that the two problems are related.

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Colander View Post
    Also, it might be trying to run in SLI mode which causes issues with the game.
    It's a single GPU, so no SLI. It could be an optimus issue, but changing the global gpu selection in the Nvidia control panel had no effect.

There are some other things I noticed that could be breaking the game:
    - When I tried to install it via steam, it didn't work (par for the course in Windows 8), instead it held at a "Performing first time setup (step of)" dialog (without the step numbers). I then installed everything in the redist folder. Is there anything else that needs to be done to make the game install itself properly?
    - Setting Steam to hide its overlay has no effect since I'm launching the game externally.

Thanks again for the help guys!
    MSI GT70
    Intel i7-3630QM
    DDRIII 16GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    457.02 MB

Have you messed with the config files at all? Like manually editing them? I did that one time and it made some of my textures not work properly. Only way to fix it was to delete my graphic config .ini files and let the game rebuild them. Then all was normal. Just another suggestion!

"The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself". - Archibald Macleish

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Nope, I did look at it however to see if there was anything that looked like it could be responsible. Do you remember which setting messed things up for you?

By the way, I just noticed, the sight IS visible, just extremely faint. It's even visible in my first screenshot. To be sure, I took a night time screenshot and well if it wasn't interesting:

sightnight.jpg

Definitely seems like these textures are messed up/not loading properly. I'm going to try a fresh install, it's probably a long shot though.
    MSI GT70
    Intel i7-3630QM
    DDRIII 16GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Leandro View Post
    Nope, I did look at it however to see if there was anything that looked like it could be responsible. Do you remember which setting messed things up for you?

By the way, I just noticed, the sight IS visible, just extremely faint. It's even visible in my first screenshot. To be sure, I took a night time screenshot and well if it wasn't interesting:

sightnight.jpg

Definitely seems like these textures are messed up/not loading properly. I'm going to try a fresh install, it's probably a long shot though.
    You need to turn on your sight to get the full brightness... on the Hurricane its mid level dash on the right lower of the sight, on the Spitfire, to the left of the sight, almost hidden by it.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

That's what it looks like when it's on.

And yep, a fresh install didn't help.
    MSI GT70
    Intel i7-3630QM
    DDRIII 16GB

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

In the night screenie it looks like the texture for the GS is in a totally different (lower) res to the rest.

Is it possible the files downloaded from steam have become corrupt? Did you reinstall from the HDD or re-download from Steam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    255.73 MB

I still think SLI has something to do with it.
    His description is a 4GB GPU and as far as I know, there are no single GPUs with 4GB of RAM.

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

looks to me like a cache folder clearance is in order...

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
    In the night screenie it looks like the texture for the GS is in a totally different (lower) res to the rest.

Is it possible the files downloaded from steam have become corrupt? Did you reinstall from the HDD or re-download from Steam?
    I re-downloaded, but I doubt that corruption is the issue, or I wouldn't see other people withe the same issue, in similar conditions.

His description is a 4GB GPU and as far as I know, there are no single GPUs with 4GB of RAM.
    They started showing up in the 600-series cards (NVidia, no idea about ATI). SLI laptops from what I gather are incredibly finicky, wouldn't go near one with a ten foot pole.

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    Done it, twice, with and without the mod.

In any case I seem to have found at least a partial fix by switching the renderer from Direct3D 10.0 to 10.1 or 11.0. Doing so gave me a few visual artifacts and a frame rate drop (probably because now LOD-appropriate models and textures are being loaded) but at least the game's playable. I can live with it for the most part, but the nights look really weird, oversaturated, overbloomed. Applying the patch seems to aggravate it:

nightfixed.jpg
    MSI GT70
    Intel i7-3630QM
    DDRIII 16GB

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

The terrain in your screenshots looks strange. Like too much saturation or something? Not sure if that has anything to do with your prob. That night time screeny just looks like the colours are outta whack. Are you messing with monitor settings at all? Or Nvidia desktop colour settings enabled on some extreme setting? Just a thought, hope you get it sorted!

Cheers,
    Freya

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No no, someones just put something funny in your tea again

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    16.16 MB

Quote Originally Posted by TheVino3 View Post
    No no, someones just put something funny in your tea again
    lol! Everything is making sense now! And yet not...far out man...

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have a similar issue sometimes where the gunsight starts off with a low-res texture, and then a few minutes later it does or does not update to a high res texture. For me my guess is that it's a lack of vram issue because I only have a 1gb card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    184.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P) View Post
    Yes, if you haven't make sure you go to User/documents/1c/ and delete your cache folder from the mod/game folder

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I will try that as well, thanks.

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

This is how my gunsight sometimes appears:

fuzzy.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

my 680 GTX is 4GB single GPU here.

he running A laptop with the mobile graphis Nvidia
    its a power issue you need to look at what settings to set full power to the GPU I know some one else had the same issue. it in your power setting I believe.
    Last edited by Mastiff; Aug-30-2013 at 11:20.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

i used to have this problem too, ot solve it a full reinstall was needed and a brand new conf.ini was placed.

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hi.

I get exactly the same problem as Gavagai ( a couple of posts up) but only in 109's and only then over the Dover-Folkstone-Hawkinge area, the rest of England, France and the Channel is ok, and never any problems with reflector sights in any other planes red or blue at all, anywhere on the map. The 109 reticle goes from as nice sharp bright image to a dull, thick, blurry low res image when near the areas of the map mentioned above at all alt's, fly away from this area of the map and reticle goes back to the high res image again.

S!! Hub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by E69_pupo View Post
    i used to have this problem too, ot solve it a full reinstall was needed and a brand new conf.ini was placed.
    Well - I think going to C:\Users\<username>\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover and moving all the *.ini-files to a backup folder somewhere will force the game to create new "fresh" ones (and you will not have to do the whole installation from start)? And if it don't work you can copy them back overwriting the newly created default .ini-files?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I have the same problem. But above that, I am unable to switch to anything other than D3D10_0. CLOD crashes on startup if I change the line in config.ini to something else. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

if your on NVIDIA try turning off FXAA
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.00 GB

Similar issue, flying 109 single quick mission intercept bombers (Blenheim) over Calais flying 109 whin I hit the first bomber my entire gunsight disappears, the frame for the gunsight is there but no recticle, I will get a 2 second freeze, gun sight will reappear after that. Did a complete vanilla steam reverify integrity, started from scratch, re added all patches in sequence being careful to each time delete and rebuild cache, saving conf files same problem.

Also got a runtime ctd and two error messages in game saying the pc can't handle the color and do I want to revert to windows basic color (never seen that in any game).

Still getting some distinct stutters during combat, game looks awesome can't see though any house lights flying over England or France at night, should I?

Did a reinstall of Microsoft net...system

Amd 1100t 6 core clocked at 3.8 runs stable, no ctd
    16 gigs corsair vengeance ram running stock
    Evga gtx 580 3gigs of ram drivers updated
    Win 7 professional 64
    850 power supply

Pc runs like a champ...

Thoughts?

Veteran Combat pilot Screamadelica's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    588.65 MB

House lights are turned off as per blackout instructions at the time, although they did look nice when on at night.

I run the game in Windows Basic Colour, there was a thread somewhere about doing this, but can't remember where or why.

I usually get a small freeze/stutter at the start of combat too.
    Last edited by Screamadelica; Oct-19-2013 at 23:04.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by priller26 View Post
    Similar issue, flying 109 single quick mission intercept bombers (Blenheim) over Calais flying 109 whin I hit the first bomber my entire gunsight disappears, the frame for the gunsight is there but no recticle, I will get a 2 second freeze, gun sight will reappear after that. Did a complete vanilla steam reverify integrity, started from scratch, re added all patches in sequence being careful to each time delete and rebuild cache, saving conf files same problem.

Also got a runtime ctd and two error messages in game saying the pc can't handle the color and do I want to revert to windows basic color (never seen that in any game).

Still getting some distinct stutters during combat, game looks awesome can't see though any house lights flying over England or France at night, should I?

Did a reinstall of Microsoft net...system

Amd 1100t 6 core clocked at 3.8 runs stable, no ctd
    16 gigs corsair vengeance ram running stock
    Evga gtx 580 3gigs of ram drivers updated
    Win 7 professional 64
    850 power supply

Pc runs like a champ...

Thoughts?
    run setting on High, I had a 580 its not going to run this very well. 680 or higher.

you can keep it in NVIDIA color settings if you want, its the new drivers if you have them that cant cope with the game colors.
    32 Samsung|||

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast