Thread: AC model mix-up

Supporting Member 2./JG54 Chumleigh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

AC model mix-up

At some time or another we have all been frustrated by mistaking enemy for friendly AC and vise versa.
    I am seriously wondering however, whether it is possible that the mix up is occurring in the code. In other words as an AC gets closer doesn't it switch from less detailed models to more detailed versions, and couldn't there be a bug in some of those transitions.

It's happened to me many times where I have held my fire right at the last split second because what were clearly spitfire wings suddenly have the squared off wing tips of a 109. In fact yesterday that very thing happened, I held my fire and the target ended up being a spitfire but was clearly a 109 when I was about to fire from no more than 50 meters. I pulled away just in time to avoid a collision at which point the fact that it was a spitfire was confirmed.

Furthermore, it's a bit odd how close you have to be for roundels and crosses to be discernible. That's another issue but for now I'm really hoping for some feedback on the possible scenario I described above.

It's happened far too often for me to believe there isn't something that has gone awry- unless i really have lost my mind from spending too much time on ATAG!

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Re: AC model mix-up

System specs and game graphic settings?

LOD_01, 02 etc are parent/child linked in a hierarchy to their LOD_00 model. I doubt there is an issue there. Even with the last LOD level (not the pixel when you spot a contact) you can tell the general shape, i.e. Bomber, fighter, number of engines. The LOD levels retain their aircrafts shapes remarkably well.

This almost sounds like a graphic issue or something.

The textures on the LOD levels are also the same as the LOD_00, just smaller. So 2048x2048 down to 1028, 512, 128..... so the markings are there but are lost as the details are lost.
    Last edited by ♣_Spiritus_♣; Apr-21-2017 at 22:02.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

The LoD models are built specifically for each aircraft.

As the models get smaller, they are simplified, but there is no method by which a second aircraft LoD could be substituted for the one belonging to the aircraft.

And as Spiritus says, the modelers spend a lot of time making sure the typical characteristics of the aircraft are replicated... wing shape, fuselage shape, number of radiators, number of engines, aircraft colouring, etc. etc.

Yes, it is easy to mis-identify an aircraft in the heat of battle, but the problem is with Eyeball Mk 1, not the LoD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Try catching the issue on a video and upload it to Youtube...We may have more info then...
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member 2./JG54 Chumleigh's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Try catching the issue on a video and upload it to Youtube...We may have more info then...
    Yes I need to do that. It's the only way to confirm whether or not there's a bug in my visual cortex! ...or maybe I rather not know.

Thanks for the feedback, Spiritus and Buzz.
    Last edited by 2./JG54 Chumleigh; Apr-24-2017 at 01:13.