Thread: Clouds Draw Distance

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Clouds Draw Distance

================================================== ====
    * Clouds drawing distance has been increased 3x

Note: To enable extended clouds distance, add "ExtendCloudsDistance=yes" under the "[MOD]" section on the "confuser.ini" file.

Example:

[MOD]
    GameLanguage=Russian
    UseOldHumans=Yes
    ExtendCloudsDistance=yes
    ================================================== ====
    Light README section quote above of 4.00 Patch

Couldn't find the [MOD] section in either the 'confuser.ini' in the 1CSoftclub or C: Steam folders of CLOD....Not sure where to add this?...Anyone any ideas where it is?....How to activate it?
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Clouds Draw Distance

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lewis View Post
    Light README section quote above of 4.00 Patch

Couldn't find the [MOD] section in either the 'confuser.ini' in the 1CSoftclub or C: Steam folders of CLOD....Not sure where to add this?...Anyone any ideas where it is?....How to activate it?
    Yep mine did not have it either, so you just need to add the [MOD] to the confuser.ini

I added mine at the bottom of it, skipped a line after the last line that was there, then put this in:

[MOD]
    ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

Voila, now my clouds are really nice and not popping in.
    Note: Be sure to edit the confUser.ini that is in your MOD folder, ie Documents/1C Softclub/il-2 sturmovick cliffs of dover-mod ( this confUser.ini is the only one you need to edit)

Hope this helps,
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Novice Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I think you just add it at the bottom of the confuser.ini and save. If you go back in to confuser.ini and look for what you just entered its about halfway down the file, just above [HOTKEY BOB] for me.

S!! Hub .

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Hubert Bigglesworth View Post
    I think you just add it at the bottom of the confuser.ini and save. If you go back in to confuser.ini and look for what you just entered its about halfway down the file, just above [HOTKEY BOB] for me.

S!! Hub .
    Mine stayed at the bottom where I put it, below the [Chatwindow] section...
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Oh dear....

I experimented before I read your replies by adding [MOD] and then 'ExtendCloudsDistance=yes' under in the 1CSoftclub....and my cockpit glass vanished....So I removed those lines and rebooted game but the glass is still gone...May have to re-verify and add patches again...:o(
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Oh dear....

I experimented before I read your replies by adding [MOD] and then 'ExtendCloudsDistance=yes' under in the 1CSoftclub....and my cockpit glass vanished....So I removed those lines and rebooted game but the glass is still gone...May have to re-verify and add patches again...:o(
    Yikes!! What file did you add it to?
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Its back to normal now....Verified files...then added all the patches...which I'd been meaning to do after the patch release....anyways....Looking at it now it may have been just my tired eyes and alcohol....lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

to run with the eye candy on all settings must be on High.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Rgrt...Its working now with no issues..Thanks Fellas...~S~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

Note before trying this. You must have Landscape Detail set to High. This mod is only designed to.work on systems that can run most settings on maximum, but the main setting to see the clouds into the distance is Landscape Detail.

Now the confuser.ini is located in your C:\Users\(your username here)\Documents\1C SoftClub\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover - MOD folder

Then:

Open the confuser.ini with notepad

hold down ctrl+f

that opens the find box

type in

[MOD]

if you see it highlighted in the confuser.ini then just put this underneath it;

ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

it will now look like this in your confuser.ini

[MOD]

ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

if when you type [MOD] into the find box it isn't found, just scroll down to the bottom of the confuser.ini and under the the last line, leave a space then add:

[MOD]
    ExtendCloudsDistance=yes

Now close the confuser.ini and when it asks you to save, choose "Yes"

You will now have the extended clouds.

Cheers, MP

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all the info. I hope it is collected in one place (Wiki CoD install) so that everybody can make use of it.

As it is, the install process from buying CoD on steam to getting to TF v.4.00 is VERY complicated. I think it is the main holdup for new users. It would be great if a simplified process could be made. I.e. "buy vanilla CoD on Steam, install mega-patch and you're good to go". It should contain a link to a live Wiki with updated instructions, links to yourube tutorials and a section with tweaks like the one discussed in here. A single-stop shop we can point all new users to, as I will certainly do in a bevy of new movies coming out!

Most CoD fliers are old 40+ fogeys like myself and the majority of them needs an install that is simple and to the point.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Sadly, on my PC, using the extended clouds in TF4.00 gives me noticeably less FPS (like 20-30% less, Black Death track, FRAPS) than in TF3.01 with popping clouds. Is this normal? If so, I see no point in using this eye-candy for such performance drop....

My PC: Q9650 @ 4.3 GHz, 4GB RAM, AMD 7870XT 2GB, Windows 8 Pro.

GFX Settings: 1920x1080, no AA, all settings High except for Effects which are at Medium, Textures at Original.
    Last edited by Miszak; Oct-20-2013 at 06:39.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Its back to normal now....Verified files...then added all the patches...which I'd been meaning to do after the patch release....anyways....Looking at it now it may have been just my tired eyes and alcohol....lol
    Lol, well good deal nonetheless then, glad you got it working properly!
    Don B

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticpuma View Post
    Note before trying this. You must have Landscape Detail set to High. This mod is only designed to.work on systems that can run most settings on maximum, but the main setting to see the clouds into the distance is Landscape Detail.
    Without landscape detail on 'high' clouds are cut in half on the horizontal axis in the distance, regardless of whether you enable the mod. Fortunately, just setting landscape detail to 'high' didn't seem to hurt my fps.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.00 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Mastiff View Post
    to run with the eye candy on all settings must be on High.
    The game and FPS gets BETTER with all the eye candy turned up, only thing that is not highest on mine, textures is high, not original, buildings amount is high, not unlimited, everything else is maxed out, and its FANTASTIC!
    This game now is ADDICTIVE, and and I've logged 20 hours in the last two days, IC should have hired TF to fix this game, they really missed out, you guys did an incredible piece of work, Kudos!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

My frames are cut in more than half with this on. I need to do some more tweaking to see if I can get it to work better becuase it sure does look good!

No need to remove the line by the way, just make it =no

AKA_MattE

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    1.63 GB

Oersted.....says.....Thanks for all the info. I hope it is collected in one place (Wiki CoD install) so that everybody can make use of it.

As it is, the install process from buying CoD on steam to getting to TF v.4.00 is VERY complicated. I think it is the main holdup for new users. It would be great if a simplified process could be made. I.e. "buy vanilla CoD on Steam, install mega-patch and you're good to go". It should contain a link to a live Wiki with updated instructions, links to yourube tutorials and a section with tweaks like the one discussed in here. A single-stop shop we can point all new users to, as I will certainly do in a bevy of new movies coming out!

Most CoD fliers are old 40+ fogeys like myself and the majority of them needs an install that is simple and to the point.
    To see someone else saying this ad further weight to what I had mentioned, which makes a lot of sense, I am still in the throes of getting started , still climbing hurdles, currentky on shadow aberations, is it normal, is it my card. I am gathering notes as I go, maybe I will get to post the final guide, but wish I had one to follow.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...832#post157832

So glad to know of how to fix the cloud issues here.

BOBC

5 mins from the Red Arrows, 1 min from a good pub.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

He said that over 3 years ago= It adds nothing.

Lews guide is prominent and covers most (if not all) the things -if you say hello in the forum its even given to you (even if you say hello on a different thread.

Im 47- The install process is no autoupdate but its easy enough to follow if you read it through. Soon it will be irrelevant as an issue - Lews guide will remain relevant and useful - IF IT IS READ.

No guide though can ever keep up with changes brought about with GPU drivers. No guide can ever undo the 1000 things you did to your settings when reading the countless "this works" threads without noting down the changes made. No guide can fix what isnt fixable client side at this point.

Lew has added a lot to the guide, hundreds have got up and running with it. He passes it on with great diligence too. Your comments here (along with several others that you have made elsewhere (Correct LW colours etc) whilst perhaps unintentional in their outcome, are a slap in the face for many people who have worked consistently hard in their efforts help the community over the years.

Many, if not all of the questions that you have asked over the past year have already been well documented and well covered with very full explanations from members of TF or other experienced community members. Debate is good and Im sure no-one wants not to help you. But making your own assumptions before running ahead in the wrong direction or bemoaning a lack information that is actually very clearly there is not really helping your cause.

I hate writing this BOBC. I really do as i think you have the best intentions at heart.

So please, perhaps read more and write less.
    Last edited by BOO; Jan-05-2017 at 08:52.
    My Rig: Samsung 40" TV, 5600X on Air, RTX3080 FE, 32GB Gskill Neo 3600 CL16 RAM, M2 Gen 4 Drives, Corsair RM850X PSU, MFG Crosswinds, TM WH Throttle, Virpil Mongoose T50CM w/100mm extension, TIR5, EDtracker pro.

" Better a thorn on the outside than a prick on the inside"

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

Quote Originally Posted by Boosterdog View Post
    He said that over 3 years ago= It adds nothing.

Lews guide is prominent and covers most (if not all) the things -if you say hello in the forum its even given to you (even if you say hello on a different thread.

Im 47- The install process is no autoupdate but its easy enough to follow if you read it through. Soon it will be irrelevant as an issue - Lews guide will remain relevant and useful - IF IT IS READ.

No guide though can ever keep up with changes brought about with GPU drivers. No guide can ever undo the 1000 things you did to your settings when reading the countless "this works" threads without noting down the changes made. No guide can fix what isnt fixable client side at this point.

Lew has added a lot to the guide, hundreds have got up and running with it. He passes it on with great diligence too. Your comments here (along with several others that you have made elsewhere (Correct LW colours etc) whilst perhaps unintentional in their outcome, are a a slap in the face for many people who have worked consistently hard in their efforts help the community over the years.
    Hi Booster,
    I agree with you 100%!

I am running Win 8.1 on a practically new Dell and have inserted [Mod] ExtendCloudsDistance=yes into my confuser.ini file.
    With all my other setting set on HIGH; no problems.

Ben
    Last edited by SD_MBen; Jan-05-2017 at 08:41.
    "What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over... the Battle of Britain is about to begin!"
    (Winston S. Churchill.)