Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8/8.1 solution

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Windows 8/8.1 solution

For those who have purchased a new PC and are stuck with Windows 8 (or 8.1) OEM preloaded, here's an easy work around to running Cliffs of Dover:

1) right click on Launcher.exe in the Clod core folder: C:/Programs(x86)/Steam/Steam Apps/Common/IL2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover

2) left click on the Properties tab

3) left click on the Compatibility tab

4) check the box beside "Run this program in compatibility mode for: "

5) directly underneath select "Windows 8"

6) left click on Apply

7) left click on OK

Clod can now be started normally by double left clicking on Launcher.exe -- the Cloder.exe and Cloder.dll files are no longer required.

EDITED March 12, 2014:

Story behind this: I had been playing Clod in Win 8.1 using the Cloder exe/dll files. By disabling all my anti-virus programs (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender, Windows Firewall) I was able to get fairly smooth gameplay, also some stutters still persisted -- especially when engaging enemy aircraft. However, for reasons unknown I found my microphone was no longer working in TeamSpeak when in-game.....it worked fine in TS when ALT TAB'd out of the game. Arrgh. By poking around my sound properties I somehow stumbled upon "test compatibility troubleshooter". This led first to trying Cliffs of Dover in Windows 7 Compatibility Mode. Not only did my microphone resume working normally in TS while running Clod, but I was able to start and run the game without the Cloder files.

Although the game was running in Windows 8/8.1, stutters kept eventually creeping in with all video features turned up and at native resolution (1920 x 1080). For the next three months I tried everything known to man, and a few things unknown, to try to get the same creamy smooth gameplay online as I get offline. Frustratingly, the stutters kept coming back. By chance, I changed the compatibility to Windows 8 in the Properties section of launcher.exe. A huge difference! Not perfect, but playably smooth at native resolution and all features, including trees, max'd. Also, you don't have to first play a quick mission for a few seconds in Single Player before going into Multiplayer to avoid menu freezes. I have Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, and Malwarebytes running in the background. I may try turning them off to see if gameplay smooths even more.

The above is completely reversible if for any reason it doesn't work on your system, and should be completely risk-free.

Hope this helps anyone with a new PC.
    Last edited by ATAG_Snapper; Mar-12-2014 at 18:19. Reason: swapped in Windows 8 compatability for the previous Windows 7 Compatibility

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Re: Windows 8/8.1 solution

Thanks for sharing that with us, Snapper! The new rig I've ordered is coming with Windows 8.1 installed (anticipating future games' requirements), but your and other pilots' problems with it were giving me second thoughts. I suspected using Compatibility Mode might be the necessary workaround, but it's good to get confirmation of that. Thanks again!
    71st_AH_RebelSqurl

"Those who cannot relinquish the comfort of their own hate, damn only themselves in the end."

Intel i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40 GHz | 2GB GeForce GTX 760 | 16GB DDR3-1866 DIMM | Win 10 | VKB Gladiator joystick

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

To be honest, it gave me a bit of a head slap moment since, in hindsight, it seemed so obvious! LOL

Let's hope it's a cure-all solution for everyone since it's so darned easy to do!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Great find there Snapper and thanks for sharing.
    This is very good to know, so far mine is running very smooth but as with anything that can change any time.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

If everything is running smooth, then nothing to "fix".

I'll be interested to see if anything changes for you re smoothness when you try online flying. Today I re-enabled Hyperthreading in my BIOS. Interestingly, framerates ran significantly higher on average. I have VSync on, so with HT on the rates held pretty much max'd at 60 fps.....BUT.....there was an annoying microstutter that kept creeping in, despite the high framerate. When I again disabled HT, the framerates varied from 40 to 60 (max) with a lower average framerate....BUT.....gameplay was almost entirely silky smooth. Weird, eh?

With more and more players coming into Clod with Windows 8/8.1, it's good to get an idea of how PC's can be set to run the game best with this OS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Snapper View Post
    If everything is running smooth, then nothing to "fix".

I'll be interested to see if anything changes for you re smoothness when you try online flying. Today I re-enabled Hyperthreading in my BIOS. Interestingly, framerates ran significantly higher on average. I have VSync on, so with HT on the rates held pretty much max'd at 60 fps.....BUT.....there was an annoying microstutter that kept creeping in, despite the high framerate. When I again disabled HT, the framerates varied from 40 to 60 (max) with a lower average framerate....BUT.....gameplay was almost entirely silky smooth. Weird, eh?

With more and more players coming into Clod with Windows 8/8.1, it's good to get an idea of how PC's can be set to run the game best with this OS.
    Hi Snapper,
    Can you check to see if any of your CPU has core parking enabled?

I have made sure that mine have no parking so all core's are active all the time.

You can adjust it in windows

Just send me a pm.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Catseye; Jan-01-2014 at 13:00.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi Cats,

Core parking is disabled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    477.16 MB

Hi guys,
    I read in this thread about disabling core-parking.I found on some forum, I don't know where anymore, a tool to disable or enable core-parking.With this tool you don't need to search in the registry to change things.

you can download it herehttps://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=nl-NL...0F7F23ED%21135
    Last edited by Stormrider; Jan-01-2014 at 14:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

@Catseye: oops! My apologies -- core parking was NOT disabled on my PC even though I had changed my power setting to High Performance. My error.

@Stormrider: many thanks for providing that link for the core parking app. Worked very well on my PC - one mouse click unparked all my CPU cores without me mucking about in my registry.

The difference in gameplay is astounding. I have all game settings maxed and running in my monitor's native res of 1920 x 1080. In the Nvidia control panel I'm using mainly Mastiff's settings. VSync is on and I'm basically running a smooth 60 fps in most scenarios. I'll do up a vid later tonight to quickly show how it's running, including low passes over London. With the CPU cores unparked I was able to re-enable Hyperthreading in my BIOS which fully exploits the power of the CPU and still render ultra-smooth gameplay.

I think of all the headaches I first had when I got my new PC and fired it up to play Clod. My old PC ran Clod better!!! Thanks to everyone here for their input, plus Google truly was my friend in many cases.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

@Catseye: oops! My apologies -- core parking was NOT disabled on my PC even though I had changed my power setting to High Performance. My error.

@Stormrider: many thanks for providing that link for the core parking app. Worked very well on my PC - one mouse click unparked all my CPU cores without me mucking about in my registry.

The difference in gameplay is astounding. I have all game settings maxed and running in my monitor's native res of 1920 x 1080. In the Nvidia control panel I'm using mainly Mastiff's settings. VSync is on and I'm basically running a smooth 60 fps in most scenarios. I'll do up a vid later tonight to quickly show how it's running, including low passes over London. With the CPU cores unparked I was able to re-enable Hyperthreading in my BIOS which fully exploits the power of the CPU and still render ultra-smooth gameplay.

I think of all the headaches I first had when I got my new PC and fired it up to play Clod. My old PC ran Clod better!!! Thanks to everyone here for their input, plus Google truly was my friend in many cases.

Here's another way to check on core parking - this is in W7 so not sure how W8 works.
    Cheers

Attachment 6484
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Hey guys,

So about this disabling this core parking thing, does that affect the cpu's ability to lower it's speed in lie C1E enhanced halt states?

I like the fact that my cpu down clocks at idle desktop , or when not doing much - I am pretty sure it only does it by adjusting the multiplier down for the cpu...
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    46.65 MB

Thanks a lot for help. I had tried right clicking and clicked on troubleshoot compatibility which led nowhere. Only have to download the latest Tf patches now. could take a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Dear Snapper,

Does one need to repeat this on the Mod version inside My Documents (for users of TF 4.00)? Or is it okay leaving it at the main Steam version as your guide suggests?

Warm regards,
    Pirabee.

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Just set it for the launcher in your Cliffs of Dover install in the Steam directory.
    I believe that is the only location for the launcher anyway? Unless copied out to a custom location...

I just tried this on my install and it worked great.
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Thanks, Don!

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

What is amazing is when Windows 8 first came out and there were all these screams for a fix for Cliffs of Dover to run on it, then that fine gentleman found a workaround by creating those two files which was great, but in all of this no one thought to give this a try - you da man Snapper!
    Don B

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Help! I just got Cliffs of Dover in the mail today and I am quite frustrated that I cannot play. I have a new PC with Windows 8.1. I did exactly what the first post said to, but to no avail. I right clicked on the Launcher, went to properties, and checked "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and I chose Windows 7. Then, when I double-click the Launcher, nothing happens. When I right click it and select "Run as administrator," a window pops up asking me "Do you want the following program to make changes to this computer?" and I select "Yes," nothing happens. When I try to run it through Steam, I get a brief window saying that it's "performing first time setup," and then the window goes away and--you guessed it--nothing happens. Can someone please help?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Hi GreenC47,

Sorry for your troubles. Have you installed the three Team Fusion patches? (3.00, 3.01, 4.00).

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

No I haven't. How do I go about that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by GreenC47 View Post
    No I haven't. How do I go about that?
    Here ya go. Be sure to watch the short video "How to install the Team Fusion patches". Let us know how things turn out.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...t=5058&p=52711

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks so much, the first mod is downloading now. In the meanwhile--and let me know if this is too off-topic for this thread--I am wondering whether my system will even be able to handle Cliffs of Dover. I currently have an Intel Core i3 4130 (Haswell) in a HP desktop with 6GB RAM and 1TB HD, and I hope to soon be adding a GeForce GTX 650 Ti graphics card. With that setup, can anyone give me an idea of what kind of performance to expect? I currently run MS Flight Sim 2004 on the highest settings smoothly--although I understand that isn't saying much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Your system will run Clod fine with most features up high. We'll help you adjust your settings for best gameplay. I think you'll be very pleased with the final outcome. Remember to run the sim very briefly with each patch you install. Just choose a Quick Mission and run that mission for just a few seconds. That automatically establishes a MOD file that is needed to be in place for the successful installation of the next patch.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Keep us posted on your progress.
    Will do! I am ordering a GTX 650Ti 2GB card tonight. I am sure I'll be back here often for assistance, but I am looking forward to getting started. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Angry Re: Windows 8/8.1 solution

Any of you experienced your system automatically reboot for no apparent reason ...
    Happened to me 3 time today ...
    I am running Win8.1 , game initially failed to launch ... but when I did the latest patches things seemed to be working fine ....
    Then the mid game reboots started .
    I would be extremely happy to know that if I run it in compatibility mod ... it would stop happening ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

I've just edited the Original Post to note that Cliffs of Dover on a Windows 8/8.1 PC should be run with the launcher.exe set to Windows 8 compatibility instead of the prior-suggested Windows 7 compatibility.

This is an ongoing process in getting Clod to run well under Windows 8/8.1....and now I hear Windows 8.2 is just around the corner. What could possibly go wrong?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I've just edited the Original Post to note that Cliffs of Dover on a Windows 8/8.1 PC should be run with the launcher.exe set to Windows 8 compatibility instead of the prior-suggested Windows 7 compatibility.
    Well now that is certainly interesting, makes one wonder why it would just not run properly in Windows 8 to begin with... gotta love pc's.
    Thanks for the heads up Snapper! I will make the change in mine.
    Don B

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by d.burnette View Post
    Well now that is certainly interesting, makes one wonder why it would just not run properly in Windows 8 to begin with... gotta love pc's.
    Thanks for the heads up Snapper! I will make the change in mine.
    Sure, one click will do it. I don't think you'll see much, if any, difference in offline play. I have a feeling this has more to do with how Microsoft. Net Framework 4.5 works with the Clod net code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

luancheroptions.jpg

luancheroptions2.jpg

Just read PC pilot and also you should try running all program in there own folders and not from the C:\program(x86) or Programs..

should look like this C:\Steam\
    or make a C:\Games\Steam i.e. etc. and make sure you check in the launcher advanced run as admin is checked.
    Last edited by Mastiff; Mar-13-2014 at 00:08.
    " any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts," Winston Churchill
    " He who never changes his mind, never changes anything,"
    Win 10 64||MSI MPG gaming z690 ddr4||i9x149000k|ddr4-64gb PC3200||RTX 4070-Ti||GAMEMAX 1300W PSUatx3,pcie5 |Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 7.1||ViRpiL,T50v2cm|moded MFG Crosswinds||T50Mth||G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseTorque10|| Reverb G2 VR / PiMax 8Kx
    32 Samsung|||

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Doesn't work for me I installed and did the compat. for win8 and it still does the first time start up then nothing. Just my beautiful desktop pics. ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by midnight4u2 View Post
    Doesn't work for me I installed and did the compat. for win8 and it still does the first time start up then nothing. Just my beautiful desktop pics. ???
    Hi Midnight and welcome to the forum!

You don't give a lot of info here, but please note that Cliffs of Dover's vanilla version does not work with Windows 8/8.1.....only the Team Fusion versions do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast