Thread: Low FPS on good system

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Low FPS on good system

Hey, everyone. I've just recently finished upgrading my rig, and was hoping to get this game running smoothly now that my hardware - by my estimation - ought to massively overpower it in every way. Sadly, this doesn't appear to be the case - the game chugs ponderously along, dropping to 30 or 45 fps when it should be at 60, and often plunging into the 20 fps zone. Lowering graphics settings - while I shouldn't have to - doesn't appear to do anything, either. Even changing my resolution from 1080p to 1440p has rather little effect; it still chugs, and introduces other issues from playing with a non-native resolution. I've also noticed several graphical issues that I don't recall being present before I rebuilt. Before I get to that, though, here are my system specs:

Motherboard: Asrock Z75 Pro3
    CPU: Intel i5 3570k (OCed to 4.4 GHz)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
    GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC (Driver version 332.21; up to date)
    HDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD
    Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-Bit

Here are some screenshots of the display issues. I've also included some of my diagnostic software on the side, so you can see performance statistics while ingame.

Muddy ground textures:
    http://i.imgur.com/jh09heh.jpg
    Banded shadows:
    http://i.imgur.com/y3nTNxS.jpg
    Low FPS, odd CPU/GPU utilization:
    http://i.imgur.com/QTWdfgr.jpg
    And the album of the same at 1080p:
    http://imgur.com/a/35a4t

Another two issues I was unable to screenshot are shimmering ground shadows, and that the game doesn't upscale at 1080p - it just occupies a small box in the center of the screen, rather than being fullscreen and blurry, as is normal. No other games I have do this. These aren't particularly important, as I plan on playing in 1440p anyway, and shimmering shadows mean very little in actual gameplay, but I thought they might be relevant to the rest of this. Additionally, grass appears to have -negative- draw distance - while taxiing forward, I'll find myself on a bare patch of ground, with the grass 'popping in' only after I've progressed well into an area without any. It's jarring, and ruins immersion.

I found a poster on the 1C forums with a very similar system setup and the exact same card as I who appears to have been getting far better performance in the exact same track, as well. This is what I find particularly off-putting - if it's just a badly-optimized game being a badly-optimized game, there's nothing to be done about it! But if someone with a similar rig is getting much better performance...besides that, many of the posters here seem to have less powerful hardware than this, but have few or no complaints about performance! My processor shouldn't be bottlenecking me; the only real difference between a 3570k and a 3770k is the L3 cache size and HyperThreading - and the latter, I'm told, does little or nothing for gaming. (I've heard it can be detrimental to CloD's performance, additionally.) CPU usage as displayed by the Resource Monitor is a bit different than how the Task Manager shows it, as well - I ran another test with it visible, but didn't document it. It hovers around 40%-55%, never going above 60%. At times, the graphics card would clock down to 966MHz, while the framerate continued to linger in the 20s.

I am using the NVidia Control Panel settings and conf.ini settings recommended on this board, and running Launcher.exe in Compatibility Mode for Windows 7 - although, oddly, I never had any problems running the game in normal mode, even without mods.

Does anyone have any advice, or know any optimization tricks that might help me? Am I simply missing some crucial aspect of system configuration? Cliffs of Dover is notoriously finicky, so I'm quite willing to believe I've just overlooked some detail.
    Last edited by hiddengecko; Jan-14-2014 at 22:32. Reason: Missed a closing statement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    320.64 MB

Re: Low FPS on good system

Are you using the Team Fusion patch or are you running the vanilla game?

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

TF 4.0 Patch. I've also tried reinstalling the game and the patch both, just to clear up any possible issues. I would try the Net Framework 4.0 Repair/DirectX reinstall trick, but NF4.0 is built into Windows 8 as a basic feature, and so the 'repair' feature isn't available for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

2 questions and 1 observation

Do you have SSAO checked in on grahpic settings? (try disable them) And have you tryed other users Nvidia settings? as in: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6534 (just noticed you did)

About the observation: Seems like a mipmap texture set to low (performance) insted of quality, on the "muddy" appeareance.

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by ATAG_Lolsav View Post
    2 questions and 1 observation

Do you have SSAO checked in on grahpic settings? (try disable them) And have you tryed other users Nvidia settings? as in: http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=6534 (just noticed you did)

About the observation: Seems like a mipmap texture set to low (performance) insted of quality, on the "muddy" appeareance.

Yes, SSAO is on. I really shouldn't have to turn it off to get decent framerates with my hardware - it doesn't make a 20-30 difference in fps, either, so I don't think the performance gain is worth mentioning. Even turning down forest and building didn't help that much - there was an effect, but a negligible one. And yeah, I tried Lewis' settings, as well as Mastiff's. Minor differences in performance.

Yeah, it looks like a low-quality texture, but I don't know why it's there - I have textures set to max!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded
    16.32 MB

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengecko View Post
    Yeah, it looks like a low-quality texture, but I don't know why it's there - I have textures set to max!
    But maybe its low on Nvidia settings...

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Sorry I can't be more helpfull but here is a list of most of help threads for problems like yours....Hope it helps...

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.co...ead.php?t=7923
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-15-2014 at 09:14.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Veteran Combat pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    754 Bytes

It's definitely not your hardware. I have 60+ FPS with a 4670 and a 7970, your overclocked CPU and GPU should both outperform those.

This is most likely a software issue. What that might, I'm not sure. Though this is a very brute force solution, unintelligent as well, have you considered reinstalling windows?

Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Yeah something sounds amiss somewhere, on my 4820K at stock ( 3.9 ghz turbo), most graphics on full ( no ssao), I get well beyond 60 fps on a fairly consistent basis, with a GTX 770 card. I also am running Windows 8.1.
    Don B

EVGA X79 Dark MB | Intel I-7 4820K@4.50 ghz | Corsair H100i Cooling System | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Mhz ram | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW|2 ea Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB SSD's |NZXT Phantom 820 Case | TM Warthog w/ 7.5cm Ext by Sajah|MFG Crosswinds Pedals|Oculus Rift|Windows 10 64 Bit |

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

I apologize for the radio silence the past few days; I've been juggling work and a terrible man-cold both at once!

I seem to have fixed it. While I thought I had Mastiff's settings down, it looks like there were a few discrepancies - a couple locked settings that I hadn't bothered to figure out how to change, and some odd glitches with the Cliffs of Dover settings. For instance, I noticed the damn thing crashed every time I tried to turn off SSAO! (I prefer to play with it on, and it only makes a few frames' worth of difference anyway.) My framerate now barely drops below 50 - sometimes 45 - during the Black Death demo, and even stays above 30 during the ground bombing bit, with several simultaneous explosions going off at once! I suspect the culprit there is poor physics engine optimization, and really, really poor particle effects optimization. I suppose one can't have everything, but this improvement is fantastic; the game's now playable, and pretty enough to satisfy a graphics whore like myself.

As regards the conf.ini file - I've seen a few suggested tweaks posted about it. I'm confused, though - this is the conf.ini in Documents/1CSoftclub/IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover - MOD/, right? Not the one in SteamApps/common?

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

Quote Originally Posted by hiddengecko View Post
    As regards the conf.ini file - I've seen a few suggested tweaks posted about it. I'm confused, though - this is the conf.ini in Documents/1CSoftclub/IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover - MOD/, right? Not the one in SteamApps/common?
    Correct, edit this one; conf.ini in Documents/1CSoftclub/IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover - MOD/

The one in the steam/steamapps folder is the game's master one, which it copies to the MOD folder on install. The version that it reads when you are playing is the one in the "MOD" folder under "my documents etc..."

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Exclamation Re: Low FPS on good system

Ciao (Hi) "hiddengecko".
    I had the same problem and, after being crazy, yesterday I found the solution!! (but tested only on my PC).
    Remains a problem of random image freezes while flight.

TRY THIS (very simple) SOLUTION: open "Options", "Video" and click "PSEUDO" (no "Full Screen", no "Window")....that all !!

Now I have 60 fps fix (VSinc On) with max resolution and medium graphic (max graphic not very good in multiplayer).

Please give me a feedback (you and every people with the same problem)

CPU: Intel i7 - 920
    RAM: 10GB DDR3 1600
    GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD7850 (original drivers version up to date, no beta)
    MONITOR: Philips 32"
    Operating System: Windows Vista 64-Bit

Student Pilot
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

MY SOLUTION. If you have NVIDIA GTX DISABLE SHADOW-PLAY!