Thread: I can't find the fighting?

Supporting Member 92 Sqn. Philstyle (QJ-P)'s Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Total Downloaded

I can't find the fighting?

OK, so you're online, but you have no idea where the fight is... what do you do?

Here's my TOP 8 list of ways to find some enemies online. The most important/ successful is at the top.

1. Get on Teamspeak and listen.
    Listen to the coms. Someone, somewhere will be fighting, and 99% of the time they're happy to tell everyone about it. Just listen in and, especially if someone is crying out for help, go assist.

2. Join a Squadron/ Clan.
    Most squads will form up in numbers. This means (1) more eyes looking for enemies and (2) it makes you more visible in the sky. Use the skills and experience of your squad-mates to help find the enemy and paste him. Also squad-mates are more likely to wait for you, to guide your towards the action and keep you alive than a bunch of dis-organised lone-wolfs.

3. Use the in-mission RADAR (if there is one).
    Hit tab-4 to bring up the mission radar. Use this. You'll get all sorts of useful information. It helps if you have an in-game information window set to display both "voice" and "server" so that the messages get spat out as text, in case you can't hear the controller's voice.

4. Read the mission brief.
    The mission brief should clue you in about where they key targets are. If you can see on the player list that your enemy has human flown bombers online, then chances are there's going to be some action over one of those targets sooner or later. this can be a bit of a waiting game, but used in conjunction with Teamspeak and the RADAR, this can be a great way to find the enemy quickly.

5. Use tab-7-1.
    Whilst this is a bit boken sometimes, I've used it to find contacts before with great success. Just remember, if you're RAF don't trust anything that says 15 miles, and if Luftwaffe, 30 km.

6. Go to the same old places...
    If the front line and spawn bases are clustered around the north of the map, chances are there will be some action near Hawkinge, or Coquelles.
    If the front line and spawn bases are clustered around the south of the map, try the Isle of Wight.

7. Ask on TS "where's the fight".
    Although it is recommended that you use TS, jumping on and asking "where's the fight" is like turning up at the bar and asking for a free drink. It's more appropriate to ask if someone wants to wing up with you, or if anyone needs help. That's like asking if anyone needs a drink. See the difference?

8. Ask on the chat bar.
    Drop a "where's the fight" on the chat bar. Sometimes you will be ignored. .. most times someone will reply "Hawkinge". Although, remember, most fights last about 30 seconds. Chances are, by the time you get there, it will be over.
    As per number 7 above, this tactic isn't the most, polite. But it's a last resort.

Happy hunting!

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    8.93 MB

Re: I can't find the fighting?

Good points Phil ..... and look for FLAK over bases ..... or if your like me .... the tracers going past your cockpit .....
    SERVING THE ROF AND BOS COMMUNITY

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    506.15 MB

Great post Phil...Helpful as ever..you're a star!!!
    Last edited by ATAG_Lewis; Jan-22-2014 at 11:39.
    "The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.'' - Bertrand Russell
    1.618 - You know this number?
    My Turing machine :CPU: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50GHz Sandybridge, Motherboard: Asus Maximus IV Extreme -Z Intel Z68 (Socket 1155) PCI-Express DDR3,
    RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 Dual Channel Kit, Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 4096MB GDDR5, OS:Windows 10
    Joystick: Microsoft Sidewinder II ForceFeedback Joystick, Throttle: CH Products Pro Throttle
    ATAG_Lewis Youtube Channel

Ace
    Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Thanks m8
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Probably worth sticky, would go well next to the other sticky post about finding ground targets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Zisi View Post
    Probably worth sticky, would go well next to the other sticky post about finding ground targets.
    Great idea, Zisi. Great post, Phil!

Stickied!

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    406.29 MB

On a related note: anyone else find they've made the long, lonely climb to 25 angels only to hear, "Help! I'm on the deck at Hawkinge with two 109's all over me!" What are the chances you're gonna dive down to help the poor doomed sod out? LOL

HP Omen Laptop 15, AMD Ryzen 5 5600H 16 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6 GB VRAM Win 11 64 bit 22H2 (KB5020044), Nvidia GeForce Driver ver 527.56, TrackIR 5, Gear Falcon Trim Box, Gear Falcon Throttle Quadrant, TM16000 joystick, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Quadrant, Saitek Pro Combat rudder pedals
    VR: None
    Installation path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Cliffs of Dover Blitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded
    53.93 MB

Excellent post Phil,

When unsure - hand around Hawkinge for more than 30 seconds.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had,
    but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"
    - Leonard Nimoy

Post Thanks / Like
    Total Downloaded

Dear Phil,

Great post. I'm still trying to get a hang on my navigation. It presently needs all the help it can get. Thanks all the same for the helpful tips.

Pirabee.
    Last edited by Pirabee; Apr-14-2014 at 03:45.